Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 AM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, that stuff gave me a headache!!!

Was interesting though to read about the fuel system, how it was unable tot sustain prolonged negative to zero G..... I was also surprised at the lack of redundancies....

Wim
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WimB
funny word, "Zeroize".....
That word brings back bad memories. Clearing the memory in our computers was a pain where you sit. F-16 that is, I only worked peripherally on F-14 programs.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

haha, that stuff gave me a headache!!!

Was interesting though to read about the fuel system, how it was unable tot sustain prolonged negative to zero G..... I was also surprised at the lack of redundancies....

Wim
Yep, motive flow fuel pumps, 10 sec zero/neg g limit (no inverted oil system) or pressure goes to 0, limited redundancy (outboard spoiler module, backup flight module, bi-di pump to name a couple). It's been a while since I've cracked open the book, though.

But all in all, a solid "Grumman Iron Works" jet. Even the much-maligned TF-30 could take some damage. I once had the ammo drum return belt break when strafing, and dump 20mm casings out the gun gas purge door and down the left intake. Had no idea it had happened. That engine never missed a beat. It was a just-after-dark trap (day launch/night recovery), and my flight lead (I was on my 'nugget' cruise) on approach behind me saw sparks when I trapped, thinking it was the hook skipping along, and a typical rookie on a night bolter. But then my lights went out. He thought that was odd...and it was. It was the left engine coming from together to apart when I went to Mil power at touchdown.

When the Ordie's went to safe the gun after I trapped, casings came spilling out of the opened-door (the safety pin went up in there) and started bouncing around the flight deck. Saw sailors scrambling around the jet like they were hunting Easter eggs, had no idea what the commotion was about until we were shutdown/chained down and had gone down below. Next day, at the behest of the maintenance officer, I went to the hangar bay to look at the jet. You could see daylight all the way through that engine. Wow.

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-23-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM
WimB

Sluggo, I just love those stories, such a good read.... again, I have always lover this plane, sadly enough I only say one once on static display at a Belgian Air Show, never had the provilige to see one fly........must have been such a mighty machine, would have been honoured just to be around one, let alone fly one............you could say I'm a bit jealous..... in a good way, that is.... I swear I was born in the wrong country!!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
bigfrank330
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sluggo
I use to build the 1/10 scale Tomcat
Brought a few down to Oceanna
It was like a free ticket to go anywhere on the Base
You guys sure LOVED YOUR planes
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Wm,
The zero and neg g were pretty standard for all the military stuff I flew. The A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler were the same 10 seconds zero G and 30 seconds neg G. Maybe that's what the contract specified.
I know the Hornets that the Blue Angels (stunt pilots) are modified to do more of that crap. I saw first hand about using AB in Neg g flight, the engines quit. Which was a limit that they were told about, but when you are slow upside down pushing to the vertical and need to go faster it slipped the guys mind and PFITT! Mighty quiet.... Oh and in the Hornet you have to start the APU to do a relight no airstart in "normal conditions" so it was a good chute.
I think that was 85 the first year for the Hornets in the Blues we were in El Centro doing a squadron level weapons det.
We were flying the Intruder in VA-95 and for the first few weeks were coming into the break in a Diamond tighter than the Blues..... Halcyon days for the Tomcat and Intruder.
Hey Sluggo did you have any issues firing the gun at 0 or neg G? I remember reading the WWll fighters would get gun jams doing that.
Sparky
Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 AM
VF84sluggo

Thanks for the kind words, WimB! Yep, the Tomcat was a great machine. I'll never forget my last flight, savored every minute of it, from the moment I put my hands on it to preflight, to the final step down off of the boarding ladder. Seemed like such a short time since I'd done those very things on my first flight in it!

... I swear I was born in the wrong country!!!!
The way things have been going the last few years in the USA, I've been thinking the same thing...

@BigFrank: I recall a modeler bringing us a beautiful VF-84 'Jolly Roger' model to an open-house at Oceana. There was also a VF-17 Corsair there (real one), that did a photo shoot with one of our Tomcats flying over the Wright Memorial at Kittyhawk. Still have a copy of that photo on the wall. Waaaay cool!

@Sparky: I don't recall any issues or limitations with 0/neg g gun ops. I just remember the 'real time gun sight' deflecting in the HUD according to g-load/aoa and side-slip. I think you're right: the 10sec/30sec zero-neg g limits are probably a Navy-mandated design MilSpec.
Oh, the Blues switched to the F/A-18 after the 1986 season (A-4F) was finished. First flew the Hornet in the 1987 demo season. I am intimately familiar with when that happened.

Sluggo

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-23-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 PM
bigfrank330
My Feedback: (32)

Sluggo
That was probably mine
I remember the last "cat" I did was a plane that went to the Kalamazzo Air museum
It was a unique paint scheme -- No Tail letters on it
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Sluggo,
I could check my log books but 87 could be the year the Blues transitioned to the Hornet. Pretty neat to see their evolution on how to incorporate the advance capability of the Hornet into the show.
MY Fraternity Brother (Bert or Fuse) was the Pax river test pilot who did the envelope expansion for the Blues on the Hornet so he gave me the lowdown on how that all went down.
I still think the Canadian Snow Birds are my favorite for squeezing every once of performance out of the plane and pilot. Can you imaging being on the inside of one of those big gaggle turns at a few knots above stall and the guy on the outside of the turn at MRT trying to keep up!
I don't know if the Snow Birds are still operational their Government keeps trying to cut their funding, that would be a pity.
Sparky
Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM
VF84sluggo

Wow, small world, Frank. I remember thinking, wow, this model sure puts to shame the one's I built!

And for sure Sparky, winter training El Centro 1987 was the beginning of the Hornet era for the Blues (well, actually mid-November '86 @NPA, but why quibble over a month or so)...I guarantee it.

Sluggo
Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 AM
WimB

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Thanks for the kind words, WimB! Yep, the Tomcat was a great machine. I'll never forget my last flight, savored every minute of it, from the moment I put my hands on it to preflight, to the final step down off of the boarding ladder. Seemed like such a short time since I'd done those very things on my first flight in it!

Sluggo
Sluggo, how long did you fly it??

Wim
Old 01-25-2015, 04:46 AM
VF84sluggo

Wim, about 7 years, 1981-1987...it was a great ride!

What a great era in Naval Aviation, too! Ronald Reagan, John Lehman as SecNav, 600-ship navy...man. And when the movie 'TopGun' hit the streets...say baby! I remember being an instructor on a -101 Key West det during spring break, couldn't get the Dire Straits "Money for nothing, chicks for free" song out of my head!...lol

Sluggo

EDIT: Hope my wife doesn't read that last sentence!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 AM
WimB

Sluggo, hahaha, just too funny..... I can imagine those were "good times" ;-))))))

Wim
Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Thomas would you please start working on this project again so there is something more interesting than fish jets to follow on here hahaha.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:20 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Thomas would you please start working on this project again so there is something more interesting than fish jets to follow on here hahaha.
lol Jeremy, i hear ya. Its been far to long since ive messed with this thing, but its getting closer to getting back off the ceiling and on the table.

Ive been commissioned for a 1/4.5 T-38 at a JWM/TopGun level of detail, so once that project is done (which its nearly ready to start printing the plugs) the. The F14 will be next on the table.

If someone has a Used K210 for a good deal, let me know, i need one for the prototype F14.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:35 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

If you can hang in there a few more weeks, im about to start on my F-18, I got most of the paint and a REALLY REALLY nice set of detailed decals and paint mask from tailormade to slap on it. As of yesterday I have everything to finish it minus my battery backer, turbines and two servos.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM
F14

Originally Posted by invertmast
... but its getting closer to getting back off the ceiling and on the table.
Wow, it's been two years since my last check on this thread, I had totally give up on my hopes to see this project come back to live again but I'm extremely happy to see I was wrong, can't wait to see your Tomcat on the table again!
Keep up the good work Thomas!!!

Angelo
Old 08-31-2018, 04:35 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by F14
Wow, it's been two years since my last check on this thread, I had totally give up on my hopes to see this project come back to live again but I'm extremely happy to see I was wrong, can't wait to see your Tomcat on the table again!
Keep up the good work Thomas!!!

Angelo
I havent been completely neglecting the F14 lately, i have been finalizing some CAD stuff, drawing up a set of fixed landing gear for the prototype and building a GIANT 3D printer.

id post photos, but the mobile device uploader sucks.

Last edited by invertmast; 08-31-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:51 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's pretty crazy how the technology has moved on - even in the time this thread has been going. How you can now laser print parts to make plugs etc. Really cool to see the project coming back to life
Old 09-01-2018, 09:41 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by Andrew Bird
It's pretty crazy how the technology has moved on - even in the time this thread has been going. How you can now laser print parts to make plugs etc. Really cool to see the project coming back to life

3D printing has opened up an entirely new direction with modeling. I now have two 3D printers. One is a run of the mill Robo3D R1 with some minor upgrades. It has a 7x8x9in build volume. Plenty large for most stuff. The latest printer is completely of my own design and has an enormous 23”x24”x28” build volume. The 28” direction is easily upgraded to as much as 36-48” if i so desired. It will literally be able to print anything i want. With a 1.2mm hole in the nozzle, i can print objects at a 1mm layer height very quickly or reduce the nozzle hole and drop down to a 25micron layer height (the zero sensor and Z travel has a resolution of .0001mm).
The third printer will likely arrive around christmas time and will provide the meat n taters of all the detail items as its a SLA printer and the parts are literally paint ready once printed.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:52 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice beast Thomas!
I have also 2 custom built FDM printers.
But they are optimized for PEEK printing.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:29 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by olnico
Nice beast Thomas!
I have also 2 custom built FDM printers.
But they are optimized for PEEK printing.
thanks Oli!

the stuff you guys are doing on the F4D and Cougar is just spectacular! I wish i could afford the robot arm for the XB70 i have planned.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 AM
F14

Originally Posted by invertmast
I havent been completely neglecting the F14 lately, i have been finalizing some CAD stuff, drawing up a set of fixed landing gear for the prototype and building a GIANT 3D printer.
I see!
I just think at what you made with your bare hands years ago, so I can't imagine what you can achieve with those 3D printers you have now: I was highly interested in your project but now I'm even more eager, period!!!
Old 09-02-2018, 05:31 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by F14
I see!
I just think at what you made with your bare hands years ago, so I can't imagine what you can achieve with those 3D printers you have now: I was highly interested in your project but now I'm even more eager, period!!!
3D printing has opened up a ton of capability for me. This next project (which is already underway) is going to be pretty impressive.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:46 AM
F14

Thumbs up

As I already said, keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.