Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Smoke injector question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Smoke injector question

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke injector question

Im installing the smoke system in my BD, the tail pipe is 22 1/2" long. I heard from different ppl, run the brass injector tubes between the 2 walls of the pipe, and other say to put the injectors before pipe. Running the injectors thru the pipe (preheating oil) better set up for good quality smoke? too far to spray into the exhaust?

thanks..

Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Default RE: Smoke injector question

Stainless Steel stick needs to be used not brass... You really only need one stick leading to an exit point directly behind (center) the tailcone of the turbine...
Old 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need preheating on glow and gas engines, a turbine exhaust temp is more then hot enough to completely vaporize the smoke oil without preheating. inject just aft of the tail cone and just deep enough into the jet blast to get complete vaporization. if you inject too deep you get less smoke because it burns the oil rather then vaporizing it, too far out and you don't get full vaporization (you'll have droplets in the pipe) and as mentioned, one stick is plenty, I've used brass and it works, but the stainless is far superior, the brass will anneal from the heat and the blast will push/bend it out of the jet blast and it starts to droop down as well.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have run a single piece of brass between the 2walls of the pipes on an F-86. The brass works fine but if you have a hot start it will melt the injector at the end of the tail pipe. With this set up I was able to get very good smoke. I do not like injecting it at the back of the turbine in side the tail pipe because I have seen others have a tailpipe fire with the oil.

Frank, let me know when your ready to fly it and we might havwe 2 maidens.

Joe L.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Zagzoo

ORIGINAL: Jetpilot24

I have run a single piece of brass between the 2walls of the pipes on an F-86. The brass works fine but if you have a hot start it will melt the injector at the end of the tail pipe. With this set up I was able to get very good smoke. I do not like injecting it at the back of the turbine in side the tail pipe because I have seen others have a tailpipe fire with the oil.

Frank, let me know when your ready to fly it and we might havwe 2 maidens.

Joe L.
It looks like on the 4th ot 5th, I have to go monday/tuesday to get the DTE light (5gal for $60, wooo hooo) and powermax. I get paid on wed to go buy a fire extinguisher. The BD should be all wired up tonight, have to wait till monday as well for more gas line for the main tanks to plumb in.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys,
Let me know when you're going. I may come up too.
Joe, what's the other maiden?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Mark

If its ready I have a Fei bao F-86.
I still have some pluming to do on her.

Joe
Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 AM
K-A

Hi, what size of tube is needed as smoker injector, diameter and length??

BRG K-Ã…
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

It is around 1/8" stainless steel - 3.17 mm. The diameter is not critical, nor is the length. What is critical is the shape of the flattened nozzle on the end. You can do it yourself, and there are a few posts on RCU explaining how.....or you can save yourself a lot of grief by buying a ready made one from Tamjets............
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

It is around 1/8'' stainless steel - 3.17 mm. The diameter is not critical, nor is the length. What is critical is the shape of the flattened nozzle on the end. You can do it yourself, and there are a few posts on RCU explaining how.....or you can save yourself a lot of grief by buying a ready made one from Tamjets............
I made some from 1/8 stainless and it was easy. Gave the tube end a squeeze with pliers just enough to flaten it a little, then stuck the tip of a #11 blade into the end of the tube. Squeeze again down on the blade (hard) and then pull the blade out. You should be left with a nice flattened oval shape that should give a fanned spray pattern. I put this onto my Reaction and get lots of smoke. Quality varies with the fluid itself.

I would tend to agree that I would want the nozzle after the pipe as if the fluid does pool in the pipe it will light on fire....

PaulD
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Stainless Steel stick needs to be used not brass... You really only need one stick leading to an exit point directly behind (center) the tailcone of the turbine...

Why not use brass ? just curious, since it seems to work well in a few models ive seen.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Why not use brass ? just curious, since it seems to work well in a few models ive seen.

read the post directly below the one you quoted and it tells why brass isn't a good choice.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM
K-A

Hi brass tubing works fine no problems, I use a 3 mm tube that is flattend to an oval shape in the end using a pliar, and it works great.
I use a Jetcat P80 the injector is located in the centre 50mm behind the cone, the pressure to the oiltank is taken from the turbine via the propane tubing and I use a magnetic valve for controlling the smoke.

Very simple sollution but it works for me.

BRG K-A
Old 07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
i3dm

K-A, which solenoid do you use ?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
K-A

Hi, I use a standard jetcat valve for propane/kerosine, and it is controlled via the ECU and the 3 stage switch on the radio, I now use the throttle trim for starting and shutting down the turbine.

The construction of this smoke system is very simple, it can beee seen in the jetcat manual page 37, www.jetcat.de

BRG K-A
Old 07-03-2009, 05:09 PM
i3dm

Yes i know it, i was just curious about the valve. thanks.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Zagzoo

or you can use a sylivian skywriter smoke system, that is what I use in mine. just a check valve before injetors.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

I use old fuel pumps with a bec.... They will last a LONG time....