Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Std Bobcat With Jetcat P-80

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Std Bobcat With Jetcat P-80

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 09:13 PM
SAM-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Std Bobcat With Jetcat P-80

I JUST STARTED TO BULD MY STD BOBCAT THAT I WAS INITIALLY GOING TO INSTALL A RAM 500. NOW I'M THINKING OF INSTALLING A JETCAT P-80 AND USE A SPEED LIMITER. IS ANYONE USING THIS SETUP?
Old 03-27-2002, 10:05 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam,

I just finished framing a standard Bobcat for Bill Brundle. He had a RAM 500 for it, but has decided t switch it over and use a P-80. There is enough room for the header tank in the fuselage, so that won't be a problem. That would be your only set back and it isn't a problem.

The only differences between the standard and XL is the XL has a deeper fuselage in the belly, and the booms are about 1 - 2 inches longer, not sure of the exact length, and the fuselage on hte XL is a bit longer, somewhere around 1/2" or so.

Sholdn't be a problem at all.

John Redman
BVM, Jet Cat USA Rep
Old 03-27-2002, 10:59 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Having flown my Std BobCat with a RAM 500 may I suggest that this is a delightful combination. Sure, a JC 80 will give it even more performance but do not underestimate the little RAM. It does not burn a lot of fuel, makes a delightful sound in the air and gives a most enjoyable performance even off grass.
Whatever you power it with you will enjoy it immensely.
BRG,
David Gladwin
Old 03-27-2002, 11:07 PM
SAM-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

THANKS JOHN THAT WAS ONE OF THE CONCERNS I HAD. I THINK BY USING A P-80 IT WOULD MORE VERSATILE IN THE # OF AIRFRAMES I COULD USE IT IN
Old 03-28-2002, 12:22 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Personally, I prefer the 500 combo. It's lighter, has a fantastic throttle response, and provides plenty of performance. Also, the idle thrust on the 500 is less then the larger engines and this makes landing the plane easier. The BC doesn't have a lot of drag in the landing configuration, so a slight increase in idle thrust makes a big difference. Besides, once you've got the 500/BobCat flying you'll never take the engine off of it, it's just too much fun! But if you do, there are currently a lot of airframes available with even more coming out soon, so your 500 will always have a home.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:57 AM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

Default Bobcat arrives

Let the building season begin!!! I Just tacked the plans to the building board for my new XL Bobcat. I plan on putting an AMT AT-180 in it and look forward to flying it. I am signing out on 30 days leave next month and the building and finishing should be done by Mid Atlantic Jet Rally in late May.....aint this stuff fun?
Old 03-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Bill Harris

Hi Tony, Got a question for you. Are you using flaperons on your BC? I've heard guys who cutting flaps and ailerons on them but haven't heard anymore on that. Just wondering if the flaperons would help it slow down a little. Bill Harris
Old 03-28-2002, 03:48 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,

I had used the flaperon mode on mine and thought it was nice. I flew BV's Xl this last weekend and he drives both ailerons up about 5 degrees (I'm guessing here) and a little down elevator and it was a jewel to land. Much better than driving the flaperons down. The plane could come in and land nose high with no effort at all.

John Redman
BVM, Jet Cat USA Rep
Old 03-29-2002, 12:05 AM
Bill Harris

Hi John, Thanks for the idea. Using them as kind of spoilerons. That sounds like it works like a charm. Gordon Mc. said he was using the flaperons and he sounded like they worked also. The only bad thing I remember about them is that the roll control really got lazy on slow approach (Ultra Viper) a little unsettling when the wind is gusty. Thanks again John. Bill Harris