Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Should I sell my props?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Should I sell my props?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Pete737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my props?

I realize there is obviously no objective answer to this but here's the thing. I flew my cap yesterday and my 310 Thursday. I didn't even take my P-47 out of the car today, Didn't really feel like it.

Ever since I took the wheel of my F-16, my props have lost there excitement factor. I am just not having as much fun as before..

I'm curious about a few things. Is this just some phenomenon that happens in this situation? Maybe over time I will enjoy my props again, The way I used to..

Or have I lost something permanently??[sm=confused.gif]

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has come to this decision, I'm interested to hear how others have dealt with this .

Some must have fully converted after their first turbine flight, Selling their props off to further their jet fleet. How did this turnout? Did you regret it?

I won't be able to fly jets as much as props but I am ok with that. However, In the future I could pick up a turbine for short fields.

Im just anxious to know what YOU guys did when you felt like me.

I figure at least another 20-30lb RTF jet for my prop collection.

Thanks so much! Pete

Old 07-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Should I sell my props?

I feel your pain, its like kissing your sister after you had an incredible night with Halle Berry, just not the same. So in honor of Halle Berry, I will take your sisters off your hand for next to nothin.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:44 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

I feel your pain, its like kissing your sister after you had an incredible night with Halle Berry, just not the same. So in honor of Halle Berry, I will take your sisters off your hand for next to nothin.
you just aint right tony
Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If Lovin Halle is wrong, I dont wanna be right.......
Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Well, take my mother too while your at it. Seriously though, What did you end up doing?

Pete
Old 07-04-2009, 04:56 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we all have the jet bug. When I started with ducted fans, that is all I wanted to fly. Then turbines were all I wanted to fly. I do fly my other planes now, but it is rare when I don’t take a jet. I always take two planes. George
Old 07-04-2009, 05:55 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Pete,

I know just how you feel. I got bit by the jet bug last season. Built a Reaction 54, glassed and painted it and threw a P70 on it. I had over 100 flights with it last season and I just did my 33rd flight this morning. I choose to take it out over my props and helis. No glow fuel to grease it up, no needle valves to tinker with. I just fuel it, pump air into it and it is good for 5 or 6 flights a day. And it handles the windy days much better also.

After a while last year I bought out my props because I wanted to know if I missed them or not. As it turns out, I don't! All I think about is my next jet.

I fly off of a smooth grass field (farviewflyers.net) and I put the Proling struts on from Todd. Now the sucker handles like a Cadillac!

All the above plus the WOW! factor.

Jim
Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Pete,

I didn't get rid of all my props, but I did thin out the herd. My son is flying too, so he flys props as well as jets, so he needed a couple...

Personally, I don't see not having at least a 3D prop and something scale with props in my hangar. Jets are a thrill, and my favorite for sure, but I like to have something low-risk and relaxing to fly. I also find that I'm much better with the props after flying jets. My son and I do a couple of IMAA flyins a year too, so we like to have something for that.

Bob
Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

If the interest for prop-driven planes is totally gone, I would suggest getting rid of the excess inventory as it will create more space for the part of the hobby that gives you the best rush/ most enjoyment. I consider myself a jet fanatic(addict), but I also like WWll warbirds as well as large prop-driven planes. So, I personally keep a few prop planes on hand when I need a break from firebreathers. [8D]
Old 07-04-2009, 07:07 PM
rcjet lynch

I flew my first ducted fan back in 90, my first turbine when JPX 240's came out, I have not owned anything else since then other than jets.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As soon as I got into jets I sold all my giant scale stuff. Never looked back.

I still have 2 or 3 fun fly profiles that I keep since there is a local feild close to my house that is too small for jets but just perfect for the 3D stuff.

All I want to do now is build more jets. 2 flying and a third turbine on the way [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Sell the prop stuff and move on.....
Old 07-04-2009, 08:07 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Pete737

I realize there is obviously no objective answer to this but here's the thing. I flew my cap yesterday and my 310 Thursday. I didn't even take my P-47 out of the car today, Didn't really feel like it.

Ever since I took the wheel of my F-16, my props have lost there excitement factor. I am just not having as much fun as before..

I'm curious about a few things. Is this just some phenomenon that happens in this situation? Maybe over time I will enjoy my props again, The way I used to..

Or have I lost something permanently??[sm=confused.gif]

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has come to this decision, I'm interested to hear how others have dealt with this .

Some must have fully converted after their first turbine flight, Selling their props off to further their jet fleet. How did this turnout? Did you regret it?

I won't be able to fly jets as much as props but I am ok with that. However, In the future I could pick up a turbine for short fields.

Im just anxious to know what YOU guys did when you felt like me.

I figure at least another 20-30lb RTF jet for my prop collection.

Thanks so much! Pete

Hi Pete737

If you can, keep your stuff.

Johnny

Old 07-04-2009, 08:18 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I usually have a jet, a U CAN DO, and a foamy in my van. I fly the prop planes just to relax between jet flights.
But right now I have two jets in the van and can't decide which one to take out so no props this week.
I haven't flown my 33% Staudacher in three years[] I should sell it but I'm a pack rat.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

When I got into DFs I sold all of my prop planes. I had 2 DFs. I went out 1 weekend and lost both of them. Then I had nothing to fly and nothing on the building board. So I would not get rid of all the props. Keep at least one .....just in case you have a bad weekend.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Pete737

Ok, I'm still really thinking about this.Thanks for all of your insight guys..

Pete
Old 07-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

I've had the exact same experience. Flew my first turbine year before last and most of my props are collecting dust now. They're just no fun any more, even though I have some pretty cool warbirds.

My plan is to thin out the herd and get rid of most of my .60-size warbirds. Maybe get it down to 2 or 3 heavy-metal warbirds that I really like and that I still have fun flying.

Or put a turbine in a P-51...
Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
iiievolution

Keep your models, but trust me, you will never look back again. People will be telling you about there new giant or gasser but you will just not care any more.

Paul
Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: iiievolution

Keep your models, but trust me, you will never look back again. People will be telling you about there new giant or gasser but you will just not care any more.

Paul
Man isn't that the truth. I don't even think my radial can pull me out of this one.

Pete
Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Pete,

Put your radial on a WWll warbird, something like a Corsair, Hellcat, or Bearcat, and it will create just as much as excitement as the jets. With the right prop, you'll even have speed. [8D]
Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I thought I could do the same thing ( no more props ) turbine only from now on but, I found myself coming back to props now end then so, I decided to thin out the fleet, very soon I will endup with 3 jets, and 2 props one of them been a P-47 60 and a patriot 60, I think that is all I need for now.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Jet Doctor

Hi Pete

I don't know what they put into the Jet A-1 but it sure gets into your blood!

Been there and done that. I have kept one large scale machine, Simonezini 102 YAK, which I pull out now and again in competitions to pick up the lines again.

My Roo takes the wrath of this kero addiction. The Eurosport is not far behind.

I have kept a few props like 1/3 scale Cub for glider towing twice year, and a few electrics for the holidays. The problem we have here is that the second hand stuff has no value and very difficult to get a decent price for so you end up keeping it rather than giving it away.

As our saying goes, "I love the smell of burning kerosine in the morning"
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Brainiax

I think you should buy more prop planes or even a prop jet...........but that's just me.....
Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

I have no urge anymore to fly a prop planes. No thrill in them for me either. Just sold my last prop plane last week.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you should get rid of all excess prop stuff. I did that, but still have props, and
parts. still trying to make more space for jet things at home. But keep at least one for
those days.

Hector
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
GrayUK

My advice would be to keep at least 1 prop plane.
I got into DF way back in 1979, became totally hooked and for many years never flew props.
One day, flying my Gripen, I made a bad error and wrote it off, all my own fault.
I then realised that I was becoming ‘rusty’.
The problem is that you can only fly certain manoeuvres with jets and it’s strange but I think the lack of flying other types takes the edge off your ability to ‘get out of trouble’.
After that I went out and purchased a fully aerobatic prop model, I flew the heck out of it while I made a new Gripen.
Since that time, even now with turbines, I still keep 1 aerobatic model and 1 heli.
Keeps my eye in and I also enjoy the relaxation it gives not flying £3000 worth of model around.
I also spend time on a sim now and then, just helps practice routines and of course….it has a reset button![X(]

One of the best pilots in the work is Ali, he fly’s all types of models all of the time and has even admitted to me he sometimes spends some time on a sim!

My advice, hope it helps.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.