RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/6th A-6 Intruder Scratch Build

Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/6th A-6 Intruder Scratch Build

Some time ago I finally decided to drop the hammer and build one of these aircraft cause no one else really has lately. I know it has been done before but not for sometime and I love this plane. So a couple months ago I started ordering books and materials to study up on the plane and also started getting some drawings going. I found a great 3-view that had 27+ different bulkhead cross sections and that helped out greatly. These were all scanned into Corel Draw and traced so that I could blow them up to the proper size. At 1/6th scale the numbers work out to be 109 inches long and 106 inch wingspan. All in all a fairly good sized model. Below is a shot of the drawings and the the bulkheads that were all cut out.

The plan is this, I am going to try and make a mold from which I can pull a fuse and composite wings and stab. I am shooting for pretty scale so the plane will have fowler flaps and spoilers but I think I will be leaving out the leading edge slats as they will be unnecessary for the most part. Wing tip speed brakes will be incorporated as well. I already have a source for landing gear so that is ready to be given the go ahead and be built. Any variant should be able to be built from this mold as the A-E models all shared basically the same airframe. hope you guys enjoy the build and I will try and update as much as I can! Enjoy the YouTube motivator!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hmK-X3WmYc[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29872.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1230742  
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/6th A-6 Intruder Scratch Build

This weekend I spent about 6 hours at the laser cutter getting all the bulkheads cut out for the mold. Below is a little video I took during the burning marathon! I will post more pics later tonight as they are all at home. I am using 1/8th in tempered masonite for the bulkheads. This material is very stable and does not warp for the most part, not to mention it is cheap!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY-8W1AbxI[/youtube]
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also got some time on the ShopBot last week to mill out some of the alignment jig pieces.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3M5g1LOmxY[/youtube]
Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lookin good ian.. looks like imma be busy keeping up with not only my build, but checking in on the progress of yours . Are the laser cutter and shop bot, yours or something u have easy access to? If so, wanna cut some parts out for me (mostly small stuff)

thomas
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dont let me distract you Thomas!!! Should be cool doing parallel builds, we should be able to bounce ideas off each other, Im looking forward to it. The ShopBot and the laser cutter I both have easy access to, they belong to a club, so to speak, that I am a member of and we can use the tools anytime. They are going to be worth their weight in gold for this project. If you need some stuff cut let me know and I will see what I can do.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (100)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ambitious project and an interesting subject. You got my attention
Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am VERY impressed Herr Oberholzersnauzer!!!!!! Who owns all the Hitech equipment? that has to be a blast to play with. Scotty
Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GSR

I am VERY impressed Herr Oberholzersnauzer!!!!!! Who owns all the Hitech equipment? that has to be a blast to play with. Scotty
Thanks Scotty, I am really looking forward to the finished project. The equipment belongs to a place called TechShop. I have recently become a member and taken a bunch of their classes and man it has all been well worth it. They have some really cool stuff including a Dimension 3D prototyping printer. I think I may have to use that for something ;-)!!

[link]http://techshop.ws/[/link]
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very nice Ian! Cant wait to see the beefy gear for your Intruder. Dont forget the tailhook
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tail hook indeed broham and I believe I will be making it functional !
Old 07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ianober

Dont let me distract you Thomas!!! Should be cool doing parallel builds, we should be able to bounce ideas off each other, Im looking forward to it. The ShopBot and the laser cutter I both have easy access to, they belong to a club, so to speak, that I am a member of and we can use the tools anytime. They are going to be worth their weight in gold for this project. If you need some stuff cut let me know and I will see what I can do.
Ohh yea i agree... the chance of being able to bounce ideas off someone else is always good, especially in the spoiler hinging and actuation department... Most of the stuff i'll need cut is G-10 and carbon plate parts for the spoilers, flaps, slats and some other little nick nack stuff...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will have to check on G-10 and Carbon cutting on the laser. The facility has a list of approved materials to cut in the machines and Fiberglass and Carbon are not on the list. you have to get special permission for something like that. Depending on the material, some give of poisonous gas when lased. But I do know people have cut fiberglass there. I am going to run into the same problem as well for the fowler flap hinges when I go to cut them. If thats a problem then I will be cutting them from aluminum sheet on the Tormach 4 axis machine .
Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will have to check on G-10 and Carbon cutting on the laser. The facility has a list of approved materials to cut in the machines and Fiberglass and Carbon are not on the list. you have to get special permission for something like that. Depending on the material, some give of poisonous gas when lased. But I do know people have cut fiberglass there. I am going to run into the same problem as well for the fowler flap hinges when I go to cut them. If thats a problem then I will be cutting them from aluminum sheet on the Tormach 4 axis machine .
laser or CNC cut doesn't really matter to me.. the end product is the same... most of the places i've talked to have said that the carbon and fiberglass stuff would be best to have CNC cut... I've even thought of sending the dragon plate company my dxf files for the parts, and seeing if they could produce the parts using their "dragon plate" process (birch aircraft ply, laminated with carbon on both sides). Its supposedly stronger than a solid carbon sheet of the same size... and about the same price. I believe they can also custom make carbon parts in any dimension you want... I'm toyin with the idea of having them make a .060" thick carbon "I" beam that is tapered for the main wing spar's for the F-14... And since i was planning on laminating the main birch bulkheads in the F-14 w/ carbon anyways, it might see what kind of price they want for just making them for me If ya haven't seen their stuff, the website is www.dragonplate.com

thomas
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Believe it will be functional? cummon man, at that scale it better be functional! Looking good bud
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NickC5FE

Believe it will be functional? cummon man, at that scale it better be functional! Looking good bud
haha... im sure ian will be sure to do the A-6 justice... Hell i might even have to get me one.. I was thinkin of doin the EA-6B after the F-14, but might not have to now.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I meant that yes it will be functional!! No worries Nick, it will have a few bells and wistles.

Thomas, that dragon plate is pretty cool, however that site is a rich mans playground. When layup time comes around I am going to be doing some serious research as well as enlisting the help of my buddy Presta in figuring the composite situation. I am going to be putting my vacuum system to good use. Might have to make up some of that "Dragon Plate" myself
Old 07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I meant that yes it will be functional!! No worries Nick, it will have a few bells and wistles.

Thomas, that dragon plate is pretty cool, however that site is a rich mans playground. When layup time comes around I am going to be doing some serious research as well as enlisting the help of my buddy Presta in figuring the composite situation. I am going to be putting my vacuum system to good use. Might have to make up some of that ''Dragon Plate'' myself
yea i agree.. I bought 2 sheets from them a year ago, and the stuff is STRONG.. but it put me back $200... It all depends on their "quote" for what im looking at vs. how much it would cost me to do it myself.... any tips on a vacuum system, i'm still researching that myself.. Hell, i'm still trying to find epoxy surfacing coat in something other than quarts..
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the system I have Thomas. I got it from my brother for a birthday gift. You have to build it but that is half the fun for me. I had an old vacuum pump that I bought off of eBay years ago and hadn't used and it worked great. I can pull 21" of mercury, but if I upgrade the pump I could do 28-30" easy. Its a great system for the money and it auto cycles.

[link]http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_64&products_id=2795[/link]
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the system I have Thomas. I got it from my brother for a birthday gift. You have to build it but that is half the fun for me. I had an old vacuum pump that I bought off of eBay years ago and hadn't used and it worked great. I can pull 21'' of mercury, but if I upgrade the pump I could do 28-30'' easy. Its a great system for the money and it auto cycles.

[link]http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_64&products_id=2795[/link]

i've got that bookmarked.. i was planning to do something similar, but using an older air-compressor steel tank for the resevoir.. What kind of pump are you using? Harbor freight has a nice dual stage 9cfm pump for $250 and a 3cfm dual stage for $150, but they are made for evacuating AC systems, so i dont know if they would work well for this application or not...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using an older GAST pump, here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41136.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1231010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34000.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1231011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74323.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1231012  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using an older GAST pump, here are some pictures:
is that the 3cfm one?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think it is Thomas, it does not say on the pump.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

alrighty.. how much more do ya have till its time to start "building"?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
ianober

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh I am ready to go baby, I think I am going to start setting up the crutch tonight!! Get back to work on the 14 Thomas!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

very kewl Ian[sm=thumbup.gif]

Search this Thread