Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetronics brake valve ?s

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetronics brake valve ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jetronics brake valve ?s

Last year I won a Jetronics proportional brake valve in a pilot's raffle - thank you to JetCat USA - and I'm only getting around to installing it in my Phantom now. A couple of installation questions:
is there a single 2m piece of airline coming off of the valve which then Ts with shorter pieces of airline going to the brakes, or do you come off of the valve with a short piece of airline and then T into separate 2m pieces that individually go to the brakes? Also, after setting minimum and maximum braking, the instructions say to "set brakes to beginning of efficiency then press red button for 3 seconds". What do they mean by the beginning of efficiency?

Thanks for all of your help. With all of the good recommendations, I'm looking forward to using this brake valve.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Jetronics brake valve ?s

Mike

You only need one length of 2M pipe and T off it to the brakes, when setting up the brake valve hold down both buttons and switch on hold for 10 seconds this will reset the valve to the factory settings, then start the programming sequance, once you have them working in an on and off situation you will hear the valve and the red light will flash all the way up the operation and the green light all the way down the operation, then as you apply the brakes turn the wheel until you feel the brakes come on this is the point you push the red button, personnaly I found no need to set the point of operation it worked satisfactoraly straight away.

Mike also
Old 07-25-2009, 12:36 PM
f106jax

Thanks for the info Mike...I just spent a couple of hours trying to get the valve working and have come to the conclusion that a solenoid is not working properly. I did the programming as you have posted, but the valve is not permitting any air to go to the brakes. As I activate the brakes, the red light comes on but no solenoid clicking or air going to brakes. As I de-activate the brakes, the green light comes on and the solenoid clicks. To rule out a brake problem, I switched back to the UP6 brake valve and the brakes work.

I use a Futaba 12FG, the brakes are on the right side slider, end points are at 100% travel, 135% limit. I have set the slider in both normal and reverse, the results are the same.

All help is appreciated!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:31 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: f106jax

...I just spent a couple of hours trying to get the valve working and have come to the conclusion that a solenoid is not working properly.
Well you did say you won it in a pilot's raffle. Being a little picky to complain that it doesn't work, aren't you Mike?

Actually, I had a similar Orbit electronic brake valve and had to fool with it quite a bit to get it working right. Nobody really knows what's inside those things or how they work. Once I got mine working, I have found it to be very reliable.

Craig
Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
BaldEagel

Thanks for the info Mike...I just spent a couple of hours trying to get the valve working and have come to the conclusion that a solenoid is not working properly. I did the programming as you have posted, but the valve is not permitting any air to go to the brakes. As I activate the brakes, the red light comes on but no solenoid clicking or air going to brakes. As I de-activate the brakes, the green light comes on and the solenoid clicks. To rule out a brake problem, I switched back to the UP6 brake valve and the brakes work.

I use a Futaba 12FG, the brakes are on the right side slider, end points are at 100% travel, 135% limit. I have set the slider in both normal and reverse, the results are the same.

All help is appreciated!
First off do reset by pressing both buttons and switching on the power to the Rx, if after that you do not have multiple flash's from the green and red buttons when going up and down with the side slider I would say you have one of the batch of bad units that came out about three months ago, send it back to Horst at Jetronics and he will replace it.

I also use the 12FG on the right side slider so it should work once you reset it, if its not defective.

Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM
f106jax

ORIGINAL: CraigG

...I just spent a couple of hours trying to get the valve working and have come to the conclusion that a solenoid is not working properly.
Well you did say you won it in a pilot's raffle. Being a little picky to complain that it doesn't work, aren't you Mike?

Actually, I had a similar Orbit electronic brake valve and had to fool with it quite a bit to get it working right. Nobody really knows what's inside those things or how they work. Once I got mine working, I have found it to be very reliable.

Craig
Hey Craig,

I won it at Super Jets South. Now I know what you do with the broken stuff from your spare parts box!

Thanks for the pics several months ago of your Phantom gear. I did a similar set up on my SM F-4 with the helper cylinders and it seems to be working fine.

Since your boycotting Liberty Bell Jet Rally since that little incident between you and the Amish, I'll see you in Atlanta at Super Jets South. (Boy was the bishop pi$$ed!)
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
f106jax

Hi Mike,

I've done the reset and still have not been able to get the red solenoid working. The green side works ok. It's probably an operator error, if not I'll get it exchanged.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 AM
marineA4
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I encountered about the same problems your going thru. Hopefully it will work for you as it did for me.

I ended up swapping the airline around from the current postion and it cleared the problem. It work just fine after that without even having to increase brake efficency.

Take the airline at nipple 1 and put it on 2 and nipple 2 airline to 1. Hopefully it will work.

Regards,
Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 AM
BaldEagel

Mike

To test all this out take all the airlines off the valve and set it up, if it then works, multiple flashes of the red light on applying brake and multiple flashes of the green light on release, only then put the pressure line on and test again with pressure in the cylinder, this should let you know which is pressure out and which is pressure release, only then put the brake line on the valve, this should sort out any problems with which air line to use too the brake's, let us know if it works?

Mike
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Since your boycotting Liberty Bell Jet Rally since that little incident between you and the Amish, I'll see you in Atlanta at Super Jets South. (Boy was the bishop pi$$ed!)
Mike,

I see no reason to bring up that thing about the cow again. As you well know, I beat that wrap.

Craig
Old 07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
f106jax

Having tried all suggestions, I believe that I've got a bad valve. Thank you Orlando and Mike for your help. I've switched airlines and also tested the valve with just the pressure in airline attached (attached to both the 1 & 2 port) and still no air passing through the output valve. The green light pulses, clicks and lets air through. The red light pulses but does not click or let air through.

The valve has been reset several times and the results are the same.

Will call JetCat tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 AM
BaldEagel

Mike

When the red light pulses it should vent through port 3, if you have a restrictor on it to slow down operation take it off and try again, because it sounds to me like a different fault to that which Horst at Jettech said the faulty batch had.

Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 AM
f106jax

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Mike

When the red light pulses it should vent through port 3, if you have a restrictor on it to slow down operation take it off and try again, because it sounds to me like a different fault to that which Horst at Jettech said the faulty batch had.

Mike
Hi Mike,

No restrictor. When the red light pulses, it doesn't vent at all. Only vents when the green light pulses. When your red light pulses, does it make a clicking sound as it does when the green light pulses?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM
BaldEagel

Mike

Yes the lights flash and pulse/click exactly the same irrespective of putting the brake on or taking it off, there are more pulses on red than on green, but it does not seem to make a difference.

Mike
Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
f106jax

Mike & Gary,

An update....Andy Kane took a look at my valve and also tried to program a new valve that he had. In both cases, he was unable to get the valves to work properly. We had the valves plugged into the Smart Fly EQ10 and also plugged them into the Futaba 6014 directly with the same results. Oddly, the Jetronics single valve works fine, it seems to be the dual valve that doesn't work properly.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Andy who ? Is he that traveling amish farmer who works out of his buggy ? My guess is that you got corn silk or tree bark in your RX. I aint sayin how it got there but you gotta be careful cause the stuff just creeps up out of no where! I put one of those emotec booster in line with the 6014 and it cured any problems with electronic valves.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
BaldEagel

Mike & Gary,

An update....Andy Kane took a look at my valve and also tried to program a new valve that he had. In both cases, he was unable to get the valves to work properly. We had the valves plugged into the Smart Fly EQ10 and also plugged them into the Futaba 6014 directly with the same results. Oddly, the Jetronics single valve works fine, it seems to be the dual valve that doesn't work properly.

Mike

Have you tried putting the valve on a servo tester, that at least would eliminate the whole radio system and let you know if it is the valve.

Mike
Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
f106jax

Don,

I never thought that bark in the RX would cause a problem. Flying higher should cure that problem though. Andy and I talked about the booster but felt that plugging into the SmartFly would be the same as a booster since the SmartFly regulates the output to 6v. Also, Andy is no longer Amish. The bishop threw him out when he found out about.....sorry, I promised not to tell anyone about that.

Mike,

No, I haven't tried the servo tester. Good suggestion, will give it a try.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
rcand

Hey guys, that is why around where I am, we call them JUNKtronics