Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ride for my Rabbit (Flash It is!) the rebuild is on

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ride for my Rabbit (Flash It is!) the rebuild is on

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ride for my Rabbit (Flash It is!) the rebuild is on

Sandor at the moment it doesn't look like I will be able to make it, []I don't have a work trip scheduled at this time[]
Ha...my thoughts exactly...Last year I fandangled a work trip to coincide with Jet power, this year it's not possible.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,
Would you need to run either part of the bypass with the Rabbit? Was thinking more along the lines of doing the main tank sump enlargement and then using the wing tank as a extra or for smoke oil. What are your thoughts on this modification?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regardless of which make/model turbine you use in the Flash, it run cooler with the lower half of the bypass off.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

regardless of which make/model turbine you use in the Flash, it run cooler with the lower half of the bypass off.

Eric wrote: Last, it comes with a full bypass. . .I used only the part underneath the turbine and not the cover. This produced cooler temps and a much quicker cool down after shut down.
I'm confused Eric said not to use cover KC3630 said not to use lower half???Which one is which [X(][X(][X(]
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
KC36330

the lower half is the cover, the only way to get to the turbine is via the wing opening so the fuselage is upside down and the cover for the bypass is the lower half............if that's not clear as mud, then the lower bypass cover is between the turbine and the wing

EDIT: here's you a pic with the fuselage upside down and the wing off, you can see the upper portion of the bypass stays attached to the turbine mount rails and the lower portion (or cover) is removed......i also do not use the inlet joiner as this is where my smoke tanks are now located at.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41944.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1255503  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 PM
RCISFUN

Well the over all response has lead me to pursue obtaining a Flashl

I happy to say that avicom (Alex) just sold me a scratch and dent that I will bring back to life

I can't believe the support that I received from my local COMP ARF Rep Andy Kane (Phone: 301-785-3022 )

I called Andy to ask about purchasing a part that is missing from Alexe's Flash, while I was on the telephone explaining what I needed I could here Andy rummaging around in what sounded like a large box, then he said I have one, give me your address.

I said how much will it be???

He said don't worry about it.... I was shocked.

I couldn't thank Andy enough for his generosity, to top it all off when I got home from work and I checked my e-mail there was an e-mail notification that a package was shipped from Andy Kane....simply amazing

If anyone is considering purchasing a COMP ARF I would seriously recommend Andy...actually I feel a bit guilty buying a used one now[X(][X(][X(]

I owe you Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Glad Everything worked out for you. I spoke to Andy at Liberty bell about the Flash. He is A great guy to talk to. He just sent me a quote for a flash
yesterday.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Rich, Tell Andy to send me one of those free things... what is it?
Only got one flight on my Flash today after work but plan to get plenty this weekend.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 PM
RCISFUN

Hey Mark come on up to Titusville Saturday, I think there will be a few us there.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Would like to but have to catch up on yard and house work Saturday, club picnic Sunday, and of course the Nighthawks next weekend.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Hi, I just sold a super bee and was going to purchase a rabbit. I am looking at the flash as a possible jet and hear very good things about it. However, seeing some of the power plants in the flash I am wondering if the rabbit is the perfect match for it or should I go bigger? I would like to keep the jet light as possible and I like the idea of the rabbit using a tad less kero, but I don't want something that has weak vert. either. Not saying it would have that with the Rabbit, just don't know.

For you guys that have this jet with the rabbit, how is the speed envelope? Also, are you guys wanting for more power (lol, we all are right?). If you were to build another flash and had your choice of turbine would you go back with the Rabbit or something like the Falcon or larger?

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
KC36330

you won't ever notice the weight difference between the smaller turbines and the bigger ones, the weight just isn't a factor on flying or landing, the vertical with my Titan SE is just phenomenal and it can accelerate in the vertical with it and i wouldn't want anything less then a 30 pounder but the Rabbit in a Flash should be a great combo and allot of fun to fly. i actualy get better milliage with the Titan over a P-70 because i don't have to keep the left stick in the ON position for the entire flight. i get 8 min with the wing tank on the Titan.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Ask and answered already, but just to follow up, yes, the turbines run cooler, perform better and cool down easier with the bypass cover left OFF> With Flash upside down, put 1/2 bypass installed in fuselage, then install turbine. Leave the cover (top or bottom your choice by definition) on the bench.

I did however, install the internal intake air system retaining it with two tabs attached and then secured to the 1/2 bypass installed. Makes for more direct air to the turbine.

Also, there is a pattern included in the manual for optional NACA inlets for the bottom of the fuselage. DO IT. . .lets lots of heat out of the fuse.

That's a wrap. . .

Eric Clapp
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: BluFox

I did however, install the internal intake air system retaining it with two tabs attached and then secured to the 1/2 bypass installed. Makes for more direct air to the turbine.

Can't tuck these babies in there with the inlet joiner in place.......

Name:	Qn38232.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1256732  
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
RCISFUN

Well I just received an PM from avicom (Alex) after much effort on his part and little help from UPS ; the Flash should be making its way to me from the beautiful Island of Puerto Rico to its new home in NW PA.
I hope to have it by mid next week.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

...............and little help from UPS ;

the 1pc fuselage puts the Flash over the max dimensional size for UPS, ran into that problem myself when i picked up mine.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I received my Jolly Rogers Flash today. Just got home with it. I will open it up soon...............
Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM
RCISFUN

Cool... post some photos so I can dream about mine.

BTW mine is in the Thunderbird scheme at the moment, over the winter I may change to the NAVY scheme.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

...............and little help from UPS ;

the 1pc fuselage puts the Flash over the max dimensional size for UPS, ran into that problem myself when i picked up mine.
Yea , they charge dimensional weight...what a RIP Off!!! To be fair I think it is industry wide as I checked the FED Ex site and it was the same price for the 'Ground" Service
Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Yes guys, was a hard morning at the gorilla guys counter, but the big box is out of the Island. I miss the max dim rate for just 7". Had to go to heavy cargo area in order to ship it. I was affraid they may charge me more, but to my surprice no extra charge. Rich let me know next week is all is OK.

Alex
Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Grodus

Gary, Rich
Here is a couple of pics of a rabbit install in my Flash. Thought maybe it would give you some ideas. If you choose to fabricate a sump area at the rear of the tank, you can make a brace that is removable and allows you to pull the tank out from the rear, verses a permanant tank install.
I have the 5200 ECU batt, and 2 2600 ion RX packs fwd of the nose gear retract. Balanced at 368 with no weight. I have a really light al wheel and foam tire on the nose and I used a Wren SS pipe. Maybe you can find some of this helpful.

Cody

Name:	Pn35914.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1260350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89539.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1260351  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
RCISFUN

Cody
Nice set-up

What kind of flight time are you getting with your tank?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Grodus

Rich,
that fuse tank is now 95oz with the addition i built onto it. I set my timer at 8min, start the timer when I unplug the overflow tank at the runway. I fly until the 8 minutes is up and make a direct entry to a downwind to setup for landing. I shutdown with 25oz remaining.

I first flew with the fuse tank in the stock configuration. After 5min, my uat was half empty with a lot of fuel remaining in the tank. I could only defuel to the point that 30-40 oz remained and that was with smaller than recommended mains. I once attempted to fly for 3 minutes, land , and turn around for another departure. Fire went out about the time I pulled the gear up. I was able to turn around and land on the pavement. On the ground esp after braking, the fuel runs to the front of the tank and starves the uat. I recommend the tank mod if using only the fuse tank, if nothing else, please try to tilt the tank down as much as you can in the rear.

Cody
Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM
niteman

Hi Cody,

Nice clean -setup. Could you kindly explain what exactly you did for your front retract /wheel and tire setup ? Maybe a pic if you have one.

Also, did you fabricate the sump portion of the tank with a half piece from another kevlar unit ?

Appreciate the reply.

Dan
Old 08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Grodus

Thanks Dan, I can get some pics of the nose wheel later, I not home right now and dont have any with me. The wheel/tire is a tettra on a behotec strut and spring down behotec C-36 retract units. I'm sure I had to find different bushings for the axle. Are you also asking about the nose gear extension with the spring down unit? If so, thats a looong story. the solution is a electronic Airpower brake valve dedicated to the nose retract and then a separate valve for the mains. That was the only way I could get the nose gear to extend without a cushion at the end cause buy all the evacuating air from the mains and there associated lines. Moral of this story, get air up/ air down retracts.

I carved a plug from foam and used fiberglass cloth and west systems epoxy to for the sump on the tank. This was my first fiberglass work so dont let it scare you, it isnt difficult. The sump area is not bearing weight in the install pic. There is a vertical ply brace that is part of the ply brace that goes across the back of the tank. the vertical ply catches the back of the tank . The RTV is just fliing in the gap and preventing chaffing on the sump. I hpe that made sense.
There is probably a better sump design but the issue was not to have air in the uat and this solved it.

Name:	Om33349.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1260378  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.