Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

X-Treme Jets Dragon landing gear question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

X-Treme Jets Dragon landing gear question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Treme Jets Dragon landing gear question

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Dragon landing gear as supplies by X-Treme Jets comes with Imperial of Metric diameter struts? I am contemplating getting the retracts with the airplane but since I fly off of grass I would mount Prolink struts to the retract units.

OR, are the units that come with the Dragon so crappy that I should just get the whole retract struts/units from Dreamworks, even though that route would cost considerably more?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Jim
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: X-Treme Jets Dragon landing gear question

Jim, my friend dragon gear were fitted with the ones from xtreme. I know cause that plane used to be mine. The gear handle OK for pave runway. Even though my friend had to mill new struts to suit his standards. Don't remember if they are metric or Imperial? Gear itself are Good for the job the struts are the ones you need to look out. If I get another one I will go with Robart 635 or the prolink hercules and struts from Todd. I think he got now a complete set with intairco wheels and brakes.

Alex
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
racer8297

Alex,

Thank you for your input. I'm kind of on the shelf right now as to which way to go. Obviously, getting the whole setup from Todd is the "top shelf" thing to do. It's just that money is tight these days. But I really would rather wait and get the better units if the ones from X-Treme Jets is sub standard. If the retracts themselves are good then all I need is the struts from Todd. And probably only the mains since the Dragon comes with a trailing link type nose gear.

Jim
Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't have a Dragon, I've never even seen one, in fact, I haven't even read much about them, but my advice is...

If you are questioning the gear from any manufacture, buy the airplane without the gear, and put in a product that you have confidence in. I have honestly never had a jet where the gear failed, but I've always used gear that has been around a long time and is proven, whether it is Robart, BVM, Spring Aire etc. Gear that doesn't go up is a bummer, but gear that jams and doesn't come back down is damaging. There are enough systems in a jet to keep your mind occupied during set up, start up, and taxiing. Hopefully once there is air between the runway and wheels you have confidence in all those systems and can just enjoy the flight.
Retracts have been a point of contention for modelers for decades, but there are some that work reliably, and some that don't, pick the ones you have faith in, even though grass won't chew up the bottom of your bird in a wheels up landing like asphalt, the grass will beat up the retract unit much faster than a smooth surface. That being the case, you want to make sure you have a strong robust unit that will take the abuse. Once they get sloppy your handling worsens, and it becomes a higher risk that you may have a gear up failure due to a sticking unit.

Like I said, I have no experience with the Dragon and I'm not commenting on that particular gear, just saying that since you appear to have concerns about this gear (presumably from something you've read) it would probably make you feel better to have a landing gear system that you have confidence in.

Just my 2 cents
Jeremy
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: racer8297

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Dragon landing gear as supplies by X-Treme Jets comes with Imperial of Metric diameter struts? I am contemplating getting the retracts with the airplane but since I fly off of grass I would mount Prolink struts to the retract units.

OR, are the units that come with the Dragon so crappy that I should just get the whole retract struts/units from Dreamworks, even though that route would cost considerably more?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Jim
they are imperial..
we are just finishing a strut set for the dragon to fly off gras.
they are front and mains all trailing type,s , they replace the stock oleo,s.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
ED LUNGREN
My Feedback: (16)

Hey

I have a Dragon and really love the plane. The gear and brakes are suspect. I changed them out with Robart 630s with BVM 3 1/2 wheels and brakes. Have a Dreamworks trailing link nose strut. I fly off grass with no PROBLEMS.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The gear come with the Dragon as a package deal...I wanted to find out if they will sell without the gear and reduce the price, I wrote to X-tream jets...no answer yet[]
Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy bought a Dragon and replaced all of it with Robart gear and BVM wheels and brakes...The problem is with obtaining parts...It takes sometimes weeks to get parts for the Chinese made jets so my buddy replaced his with easier to obtain gear...

Anyone wanna buy a brand new set of Dragon gear???

Kevin
Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
racer8297

Thanks guys! Great input here. I guess it comes down to this. The retract units from SM MAY be adequate but obtaining a trunion or something could be weeks away, if not more. Therefore, it seems prudent (to me) to get the jet without the retracts and get either Robart or Prolink retracts with the Prolink struts. Costs about 500.00 more that way but hey, it's a jet! And these things always seem to break right in the middle of flying season.

BTW, this will be my second jet. My first is a Reaction54 kit, glassed and painted (painted by Dan Davidson, Split S) with a P70 and Prolink struts. I just put my 150th flight on it yesterday.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
K.Nielsen

Hi All

I have a Dragon and the gear from X-Treme Jets/Skymaster is really not worth the money [&o], so my plan is to get a pro-lynx gear from Digitech there hopefully will work both on grass/asphalt.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31559.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1253179  
Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I received a response to my e-mail from Skymaster, you can deduct $350.00 from the price if you want it without the landing gear.

Dear Rich

Thank you for your interest.

For your information,all Dragons are now made of composite not balsa wood.

Skymaster USA is the dealer in USA.

The price will be USD350.00 less if you don't order landing gear.

Best regards

John

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is an upgrade option for 125.oo to get the better gear from Skymaster for the Dragon. Sources I have spoken with say not to pass on this option.

However, if you consider this extra along with the discount of 350 without the gear, the net is 475.00. That goes a long way to a set of gear from Dreamworks.

I sure like the looks of this jet [8D]

PaulD
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: PaulD

There is an upgrade option for 125.oo to get the better gear from Skymaster for the Dragon. Sources I have spoken with say not to pass on this option.

However, if you consider this extra along with the discount of 350 without the gear, the net is 475.00. That goes a long way to a set of gear from Dreamworks.

I sure like the looks of this jet [8D]

PaulD

to be more specific we can offer a landing gear, swiss quality 1 way or 2 way system for almost the same money as the upgraded products from Skymaster..
we are doing 3 versions (jet-1a - Behotec - Pro-lynx) or Trailing strut set only..
no need to pay more ...
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
xphstos

I HAVE THE SAME GEAR ........NO PROMBLEMS HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1694gGTf8
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
flyinjets

Own Two Dragons,Ive been using the better retreacts wheels and brakes two years and 170 flights,they work great but if you turn to tight and fast the tires sometimes roll off.The jet is heavy and a gyro really helps.Still the best jet I have flown in 13 years. Enjoy Mark wasup XPHSTOS
Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: K.Nielsen

Hi All

I have a Dragon and the gear from X-Treme Jets/Skymaster is really not worth the money [&o], so my plan is to get a pro-lynx gear from Digitech there hopefully will work both on grass/asphalt.

Hi Kim

i just made you the upgrade set for the Dragon and is ready to ship
the gear is just fine it is a aipower one , it just needed the trailing oleo,s.
i added some tyres for you to test they are a bit harder then the stock one,s

Sandor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89459.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1254297  
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM
xphstos

HEY MARK .................I WANT TO BE LIKE MARK WEN I GROW-UPPPPPPPPP
Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 PM
rcand

Look at the new Jet International magazine. There is the first of a 2 part write up. The author used the prolinks and Intarco wheels. I have the deluxe gear that came with the kit and have not had a problem, except the tires wear quick, and I only have 7 flights on it. I fly off of asphalt. Robart 635 might be a good option, the only thing is the stock struts are 1/2 inch in the retract block, but widen out for the rest of the upper strut part, which gives it a little more strenght where the Robarts are 1/2 inch for entire upper strut part.