Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Adding differential to Boomerang XL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Adding differential to Boomerang XL

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM
cntstan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding differential to Boomerang XL

Are you guys having to add a lot of differential to your XL's? I am having trouble getting a decent roll rate and am running out of ideas. Every roll is more of the "barrel type". I am using a Kingtech 140g for power and JR 8911HV servos for all surfaces. CG is perfect and the planes flies very smooth and lands with no problems with the crow setup. Linkages are solid and equal and the servos have no problem holding. Throws are identical between up and down for each side, so I am wondering if adding differential is my best option. I flew a fellow club member's XL today and it had no problem with the rolls being axial and true. My throws are maxed out on high rates and it still rolls incredibly slowly even on a vertical dive. I would appreciate any advice!
Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 PM
cyphur01

You should be at 40mm up travel and 30mm downward travel for both ailerons. Just think of it as a ratio if you want to add more throw. Here is my trick though. Setup the recommended travel for both up and down (40mm) using 80% max in your dual rates. Then go to differential to bring down the desired number ( in this case down travel to 30mm). Then if you want more throw, dial up your dual rates to what you would like without binding. This way you will always max out (no binding) on the high throw instead of the lower of the 2 and still have the correct percentage differential.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:12 PM
cntstan

Originally Posted by cyphur01
You should be at 40mm up travel and 30mm downward travel for both ailerons. Just think of it as a ratio if you want to add more throw. Here is my trick though. Setup the recommended travel for both up and down (40mm) using 80% max in your dual rates. Then go to differential to bring down the desired number ( in this case down travel to 30mm). Then if you want more throw, dial up your dual rates to what you would like without binding. This way you will always max out (no binding) on the high throw instead of the lower of the 2 and still have the correct percentage differential.

Thanks for answering my question perfectly and for the dual rates tip! That will come in handy on some other planes of mine as well.