Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avonds F-104 building Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avonds F-104 building Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 08:53 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avonds F-104 building Question

Hello Jet flyer's

I'm just finishing my F-104 for a RAM 750. The directions say to reinforce the joint between the fuse and the wing with 2 oz cloth and epoxy. For those who have built the kit is this really necessary? I have the version with the panel lines.

I used epoxy to glue the wing on, then used aeropoxy to fill any small gap around the wing and fuse is this enough?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:06 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 104

Hi Duke,
I've been flying one of these for 3 years now - a great airplane. As far as the wing joint, I did it on mine. I masked out the panel on the fuselage and used 20z cloth that extended 2" on the wing. Liberal amounts of finishing epoxy to allow it to be sandable. After it cures take a exacto knife and go around the area taped, pull off the tape. You now have a reinforcement that you can feather on the wing and sand the rough areas off on the fuselage to make an invisible reinforcement.

Another area you might want to look at is the gear mounts. Place lots of CF on the plates. I have broken mine 3 times and it is a pain in the a......to fix. Any more questions fire away.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:26 PM
CJ2002

Default 104 root glassing

Hi Duke,

I never bothered adding the glass to the roots on mine - mainly because I finished it in chrome Solartrim (Presto) and getting an invisible blend would have meant lots of work for, what I considered, an unnecessary application. What I did do was ensure a good bond between the root of the wing and the fuselage root moulding and a good spar bond - I drilled many small holes in the fuse root moulding to allow the 12 hour epoxy through and key. I never broke my model, which is now in the hands of another modeller who's flying it regularly with no problems, and I had it for 4 years before that.

Cheers,

Dick
England
Old 06-29-2003, 01:56 AM
Aero65

Thank you great info.

Tom. Thanks for the hint on the gear I did put some carbon already, But Ill make sure they are solid.

Good method of putting on the cloth.

Dick. Id rather not put the cloth if I don't have to but I did something like you and put many holes in the root of the wing when I glued it on.

Any hints on the First Flight? I currently fly a Avonds F-15. Have recently flown a JHH hawk with mw-54, and a Hotspot P-80.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:05 AM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Duke,
You're a slower builder than I am!

I didn't glass mine either.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:52 AM
CJ2002

Originally posted by Aero65
Thank you great info.

Any hints on the First Flight? I currently fly a Avonds F-15. Have recently flown a JHH hawk with mw-54, and a Hotspot P-80.
Hi Duke,

Set up per Philip Avonds' instructions, the F-104 is lovely to fly - no hidden or nasty tendencies, stable, easy to set up for landing, plenty of stab authority, etc. I never flew mine without the tiptanks though, so can't comment on that aspect. Despite the lack of a wing, there's plenty of lift there and it's not too difficult to see in the air (although it might be a bit more of a challenge if you didn't have the tiptanks on...every bit helps, as the Actress said to the Bishop!).

Cheers,

Dick
Old 06-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Aero65

Hello Mike

I am quite slow with this one. I think im on at least 5 Years or so. Lol it was one of the first Aeroloft versions with the panel lines.

Meeting your wife will do that to ya lol. Oh well that still won't explain the other 2 years. I was flying, yea thats it I was flying.

Well I have a JMP F-4 and BVM F-86 to build too, Id better speed up.

Thanks for the flight report Dick, Ill post how it go's later on. It sounds like I will enjoy myself.