Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

NEXT wood sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

NEXT wood sport jet

Old 04-02-2019, 11:50 PM
daorizio

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NEXT wood sport jet

For me engineering is the most interesting part of my hobby.

After engineering f100, f104, f86, T33, blackbird and some sport jet(for third person) I decided to make a new project, a new sport Jet.

No limitations of airfolil, design, inlets, dimensions, no hand made lines from customer has to be run after. I was really free to design what I want.

Hard was the idea to totally exit from the lines who market offer, but I try to do it. Obviously some limitations are considered: shape of wood model has to be made considering the building technology. Engineering a master to made a mold is easier, no shape limitation, you have only to e be sure about undersquare.

This is the result: the NEXT.

The project starts last year but finally defined only last days of january. About 400 hours to define shape and parts. And I’m not a person who sleep….

Thechnical specifications was made before starting to draw the shape, many fixed points has to be respected. At the end all specifications was respected.

The biggest doubt, taken in account in the first part of the engineering, was the inlets. I never see something like that….why? After a lot of discussion with most engineers and some calculations I decided to use that shape. No one real and numerical significant contraindication was find, only a lot of word from the “experts”, without numerical demostration.

Practice demostrated that model respect the physic and not the word. Inlets are totally neutral in any flight phase at all speed range.

During first flight I immediatly undestand that all target was reached, the flight charateristics was exactly what I plan. I’m really very happy, this is the best performance model that I have never flown in over 20 years of jet model flying.

The model is 2.2m wing span and 2.65 m long. Powered by B100F derated at 114.000 rpm, about 8.5kg.

Building the model was very very easy….I sent the drawing to my friend Mirce and in less the 2 month he give it to me at home finished.

He made a beautiful job, 5.6 kg ready to paint. Very well.

Mirce give me the model on Friday, on Saturday I installed all and on su sunday the maiden. Final weight wasn’t checked, I think less 12kg at take off.

I’m really very happy for the performace of the model, with only 8.5 kg trust it is possible to made all what you want without problem, as you can see on the maiden video.

First day I made 10 flights without problems. I have to remove a little quantity of ballast(I put more ballast than needed for maiden….).

Mirce has a lot of picture of building, I hope he put it here to show his beautiful job.

This is the video: https://www.facebook.com/10000877885...6771352958807/

I’ll made other 20-30 flights then paint.

I hope you apreciate it

damiano
Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, when you learn to fly Right Side Up, you are going to have a great airplane there

There are a lot of comments from time to time related to lack of builders out there. Like you, my fascination with the hobby quickly went to building/ creating. I even invested in CNC mills and lathes, created landing gear etc.

I think what you built is incredibly awesome. And thanks for sharing!! I know the kind of effort it takes to create (and lack of sleep). Good Luck with the painting!

Sean
Old 04-03-2019, 01:57 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Amazing work. Congratulations, especially the originality. I think you could produce and sell some kits based on that alone.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 PM
erbroens

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Fantastic design! So far, this is the best looking wood sport jet I ever seen, Seems to fly great too.

This would be a great option for the few building guys that can own and fly a jet this days.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:23 PM
LimitDwn
My Feedback: (21)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well done, as has been said it would be very cool to see this available as a kit. Very cool and different design.

Keep us informed as things move along, would be nice to see the finished paint work.

Robert
Old 04-03-2019, 07:38 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Please do the YF-23 black widow an I’m first in line to buy one,big one at least 10’ long thanks
The following users liked this post:
tp777fo (05-18-2021)
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM
andy boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice good looking jet no doubt. They should bring back the DV8R!
Old 04-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to allow Mirce to sell short kits like the other models?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:56 PM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"After engineering f100, f104, f86, T33, blackbird and some sport jet(for third person) I decided to make a new project, a new sport Jet."

I have seen these kits through Mirce ... but have not seen anything about the T-33. Do you have any more information about this one posted anywhere? Also, sorry to hear the T-38 was put on hold...
Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Team work and another successful project.

NEXT is another example of Damiano's great design and engineering.
The frame construction is from a 3 mm poplar ply, and for sheeting we used 3 mm balsa. Nose is 3D printed.
The complete model is coated with 18 gr glass fabric & epoxy resin.
NEXT is extremely strong, while the weight remained relatively small for this size acrobatic plane.

We designed special templates for making wings and horizontal stabilizer.
With them each part is placed in a precisely defined place and the workmanship is fast and very precise.

Model is easy for transport, wing is from two pieces (wing joiner is 30 mm aluminum tube) and elevator is removable also.
Huge canopy allows easy installation of equipment.

Canopy with inlets is the most unusual part and gives the model a unique shape...

Bottom fuselage side is extremely attractive with smooth transitions from one form to another.

Few more details...

Like any Damiano's design, for NEXT there is no need for paper plans, the pieces fit like a Puzzle and you can not turn around or otherwise set up parts as they can.
It is important to note that the complete model is designed in a 3D program, structural strength is designed for far greater force than the load in flight.

For the first flight, the turbine's thrust was about 8 kg, and then, for testing purposes, thrust is increased to 10 kg was increased.
The differences were almost absent, except that the maximum speed increased from 215 to 229 km/h.
The idea for this model is to use a smaller turbine with less fuel.

Damiano use Electron E40 landing gears with "legs" and wheels from the same company.
https://www.electron-retracts.com/er-40evo/

Fuel tank solution is also interesting, a "camel bag" of two liters was used, without UAT tank.
System works phenomenally !!!!

These days the sale of wooden kit will begin.
The plan is to sell and ready-made models, ready for painting.
Of course, one should not forget, "Mirce models" is a small company and the production of finished models is limited.

More information soon...

Mirce

Last edited by mirce; 04-05-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:14 AM
Si_B

Such a nice design. Definitely interested when kits become available.

Simon
Old 04-05-2019, 10:29 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mirce
Team work and another successful project.

NEXT is another example of Damiano's great design and engineering.
The frame construction is from a 3 mm poplar ply, and for sheeting we used 3 mm balsa. Nose is 3D printed.
The complete model is coated with 18 gr glass fabric & epoxy resin.
NEXT is extremely strong, while the weight remained relatively small for this size acrobatic plane.

We designed special templates for making wings and horizontal stabilizer.
With them each part is placed in a precisely defined place and the workmanship is fast and very precise.

Model is easy for transport, wing is from two pieces (wing joiner is 30 mm aluminum tube) and elevator is removable also.
Huge canopy allows easy installation of equipment.

Canopy with inlets is the most unusual part and gives the model a unique shape...

Bottom fuselage side is extremely attractive with smooth transitions from one form to another.

Few more details...

Like any Damiano's design, for NEXT there is no need for paper plans, the pieces fit like a Puzzle and you can not turn around or otherwise set up parts as they can.
It is important to note that the complete model is designed in a 3D program, structural strength is designed for far greater force than the load in flight.

For the first flight, the turbine's thrust was about 8 kg, and then, for testing purposes, thrust is increased to 10 kg was increased.
The differences were almost absent, except that the maximum speed increased from 215 to 229 km/h.
The idea for this model is to use a smaller turbine with less fuel.

Damiano use Electron E40 landing gears with "legs" and wheels from the same company.
https://www.electron-retracts.com/er-40evo/

Fuel tank solution is also interesting, a "camel bag" of two liters was used, without UAT tank.
System works phenomenally !!!!

These days the sale of wooden kit will begin.
The plan is to sell and ready-made models, ready for painting.
Of course, one should not forget, "Mirce models" is a small company and the production of finished models is limited.

More information soon...

Mirce

any idea on a price yet?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM
mirce

Thanks everyone for interesting about wooden kit.

I am waiting for Damiano to make more flights and as soon as I get a "green light", the sale starts and the finished models can be ordered.

As far as price is concerned, it will be very affordable both for wooden kit and for ready-made models.
The only thing I can say now is that the wooden kit will be cheaper than any wooden kit we currently have on offer.

Please be still a little patient ...

One more YouTube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SYH...PWwF27ym4_4oZQ
Old 04-05-2019, 02:17 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

very cool jet
Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 AM
mirce

Let sales begin...

"NEXT" aerobatic jet model from "Mirce models" can be ordered as a wooden kit or ready-made model for painting.

http://www.nsmodelers.rs/jet/next---aerobatic-jet-model

For first five wooden kits order 10% discount on price!!!!

Best regards

Mirce

Last edited by mirce; 04-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:58 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

You may want to reconsider the fuel tank as in north America a plasma bag style fuel tank is not permitted under AMA or MAAC rules for turbine operation. A hard shell tank that you sell or one that is already commercially available would be of benefit.
just my thoughts.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:38 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m guessing Carlos at CMJets can make a tank for this plane once he gets dimensions or CAD drawings

Ive never fully understood the AMA opposition to soft/bag tanks.
IV bags are very durable and tested expensively for drop resistance and leaks
Old 04-09-2019, 12:30 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Friends, yes, I will make a special tank for this plane.

In short available in my website !!!

BR from Spain !!!
Carlos
CMJETS.com
Old 04-09-2019, 01:07 PM
mirce

Of course, the "NEXT" model can also use "solid" tanks. The picture is just a preview of what Damiano used, but it was not said that such a tank should be used.

Last weekend, Damiano made another ten starts and as you can see in the picture, the tank was replaced.
The reason is that such a tank has a larger volume, so the flights lasted over ten minutes.

Fuselage of the "NEXT" model is huge, so any tank can be fitted, there is no need for special custom made shape.

Mirce
Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good looking model !!

Please Please Please consider small 1800 mm long NEXT or F-100 kit.

Major benefit for smaller size is more people to try wood build constriction and easier transportation.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:59 PM
mirce

If someone from USA want to order "NEXT", here is opportunity to bring one on Top Gun. No shipping cost in this case!!!

Don't forget offer - 10% discount on wooden kit for first five buyers.

Best regards

Mirce
Old 08-23-2019, 02:27 PM
mirce

Old 05-15-2020, 02:37 PM
yakoholic

I just might have to order one this winter, such a nice looking bird!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:29 PM
yakoholic

After a year of waiting finally have one of my own coming!
Old 11-27-2020, 04:37 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Building with wood is actually quite fun. I have an Avonds Fouga ready for maiden tomorrow. Wings/tail are built up balsa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.