Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is the Rookie a good first jet?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is the Rookie a good first jet?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Andy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Rookie a good first jet?

Hi Everyone

Finally getting around to purchasing my first jet, and was hoping to get some insight from people regarding the composite arf rookie. After reading through some of the threads, it appears that people have indicated that it's not as easy as some may like to think. I guess my question relates to landing the aircraft and in what type of configuration. What is the optimum CG with a p120 powerplant. It also sounds like people are using the canards as airbrakes during landings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be flying off of a shorter grass runway that's a little rough. I would like to eventually use thrust vectoring, but may fly without it for some time until I get the hang of things. I am coming from flying helicopters and other 3d airplanes

Thanks so much for your help!
Andy
Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Is the Rookie a good first jet?

I don't think that would be a good choice for first jet.
In my humble opinion, a Reaction would be a better choice.
Any other opinions?

Hector
Old 09-15-2009, 01:03 PM
topgun24
My Feedback: (25)

Comp ARF flash is a better choice. Best choice is BVM Bobcat. Easiest jet to take off and land I have ever flown and flies amazing!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it is one of the best designs ever made, not only as a first one but like you said, as a advanced sport jet. Only thing you need is a experienced pilot for helping you setting it up, and for calling those first few flights. It handles a bit different than the straight wing jet trainers, but it also have benefits that the others doesn´t have.

However, if you don´t have somebody with experience with this plane in your area, it would be better to start with a Boomerang or any other straight wing jet.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:54 PM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

I had one, flies great....just not the best lookin jet.

Derrick
Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM
JetCatJimmy

I had a Flash as my first jet. Flies true and easy to build. Rolls like it's on rails too. I didn't care for the thick wing though and the gear stayed with the wing when disassembled. I traded for a BobCat after about 10 flights. I love the BC. Flies like a dream and will beat the pants off a Flash any day. Slick through the air and floats on landings. Great first-time airplane.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

If you can afford a Bobcat you won't regret it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rookie is a good first jet, use the vectored thrust to allow short take offs from grass and the canards as airbrakes to allow slow short landing.

Have the vectored thrust and canards on a switch to allow them to be switched in and out, use four servo's on the Elevons and put a little up outboard elevons on landing with the canards as airbrakes, this will increase the rate of decent whilst giving wash out to the wing and prevent tip stalling, although its pretty difficult to tip stall.

With a 120 in the Rookie it will do close to 200mph, but will land at about 25mph with full thrust vectoring its an absolute fun filled machine and will do any thing you wish it to.

Tried the Reaction, tried an Elan, tried a Bandit and a Bob Cat still keep comming back to the Rookie as the most fun and the easiest to fly.

Mike
Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

other then being fugly a Rookie is an excellent first jet, i'd owned allot of other jets before i got my Flash and i absolutly love it, looks good, flies great and would also be an good first jet that look MUCH better then the Rookie.

ORIGINAL: JetCatJimmy

......................Flies like a dream and will beat the pants off a Flash any day.

you must of had a little 20 pounder in your's, the local Bob Cats (most have 120s) don't even come close to my Flash.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 PM
JetCatJimmy

ORIGINAL: KC36330

other then being fugly a Rookie is an excellent first jet, i'd owned allot of other jets before i got my Flash and i absolutly love it, looks good, flies great and would also be an good first jet that look MUCH better then the Rookie.

......................Flies like a dream and will beat the pants off a Flash any day.

you must of had a little 20 pounder in your's, the local Bob Cats (most have 120s) don't even come close to my Flash.
Yeah, I've got the P80 (original) and it pushes the BC a lot faster than the Flash. Don't get me wrong. I loved the Flash. It was a great plane. But I've always wanted a BobCat.

And, are you saying that with the same size engine your Flash is faster than a BobCat? Interesting. I would think all things being equal the thicker wing profile would limit the Flash. I am thinking you may be comparing P80's to 120's.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Andy01

Thanks for your emails everyone. I have an affinity towards the Rookie. I really would like to make the investment into it. The concern that I have is that there are some threads here on rcuniverse that talk about how it is a very tricky jet to land, and that I have to have certain things situated in very particular ways in order for it to land on it's main gear. Any insight on this? I think the only concern that I have is the landing

Thanks so much again
Andy K
Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM
KC36330

And, are you saying that with the same size engine your Flash is faster than a BobCat? Interesting. I would think all things being equal the thicker wing profile would limit the Flash. I am thinking you may be comparing P80's to 120's.

the BobCat to Flash comparison is a little biased to the BobCat (which is lighter by about 5-6 lbs) my Flash has a Titan SE for power and I'm comparing it to the 120 powered BobCats mentioned above.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
JetCatJimmy

That's a good point, Andy. The only thing I'm EVER worried about more than other stuff is the landing!

From what I remember correctly about deltas, they do have a tendency to "kangaroo" like the roo's (appropriately named) if you don't let the plane bleed off speed and lift. And if you happen to touch down with the nosegear first, well, get ready for a go-around if you can make it. That wing can bite if not treated with respect.

Then again, I don't see any standard wing jets spinning around in mid-air like the Rookies. That is about the coolest thing I see at the jet meets.

I would say, if you're passionate about the Rookie, go for it. And make sure you talk to other pilots so you fly it with all the information you can get. They're expensive enough! Some of us aren't able to keep more than one jet at a time. Get what you want. That's my 2 cents.

And sorry for the slight derailment a few posts above. ha ha
Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Had a kangaroo and a rookie, as far as landing mode - there's no comparision between the skill required to land a crowed bobcat and a roo or rookie. The bobcat lands itself....... the rooskies-smaller window of speed and alpha to look like nails. That being said - Iwould buy a roo in a second just because it was my first jet and Ihave a strange crush on the deltas. Someone needs to rekit the roos!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Jeffpro

BobCat all the way. You will love the quality as well as the handling.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rookie is a great flying jet, but I would not advise buying it as a first jet unless you have a long runway. Sure it can land on short runways, but the approach speed & angle of attack is critical. Get it slightly wrong & you are either floating off the end of the runway, or stalling. Either way, if you are lucky, you are doing repairs. Unlucky & you are buying another jet. There are easier jets out there. I found the F15 to be one of the most forgiving jets to fly, especially the Avonds.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 AM
raptorlogo

Hi Andy,

I have just finished to assembly my second Harpoon 2, it is a New Rookie with a shorter nose made by CARF for Graupner.
It was my first jet and yes you have to well understand how to land with the correct speed and angle of attack.
But it is a great flying jet, short take off and landing with a P80. Using trailing legs on the landing gear will help a lot for kiss landing

I love my Harpoon for every day flights.

I have a Joly Roger Flash with a Wren 160 (thrust reduced to 26 lb) , you cannot compare the planes in terms of budget. The Flash is much more expensive.
On the other hand, the Flash is an amazing plane for pattern flights. I love it too.

Have good flights with both !

Best regards,

Alain
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: raptorlogo

............I have a Joly Roger Flash with a Wren 160 (thrust reduced to 26 lb)

[] turn the thrust back up and experience 'Hill Climbing' at its finest.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Andy.

I have a Rookie with around 250 flights on. In all honesty the Rookie is not the easiest jet to land, but it will make you a more proficient pilot than if you were flying a jet that landed itself. In my opinion, the key to landing this jet successfully is the touchdown speed. As most of the other gentlemen have mentioned already, too fast and it will bounce-if this does happen you can control it, as long as your CofG is in the recommended spot and you have ample elevon throw to arrest this scenario. If it slows down too much, just apply power. Appart from this minor flaw the aircraft flies very well.

Regards, Frank
Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a kangaroo, 2 hotspots, 3 rookies I think and I liked the Hotspot the most, probably because its a better looker. The rookie flies better than the other two and builds faster. It also cheap enough I think. The last Rookie I flew had a AUW about 16Kg with all the stuff we put in it so the landings were tricky and you had to control the drag/throttle or use a lot of runway. If it was the regular AUW and with Thrust vector it must be a hell of a lot of fun. BTW does anyone still sell the Hotspot kits?
Andre
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Andy01

Thanks everyone for your insight regarding this. Can someone provide me with the exact recommended CG for this plane to ensure that I am able to land effectively?

Thanks again!
Andy K
Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

Andy,

You didn't mention anything about your skill level. If you are fairly competent the Rookie is do-able.
As others have said, approach speed has to be right on. Too slow and you spin in, too fast and you get to watch it bounce down the runway.
I have flown mine on a 400' petromat runway that is a bit bumpy and take offs are exciting as the nose wants to bounce up early. Landings use 250' or so if the approach is right. Speed brakes are mandatory!
The rudder coupling is pretty intense if you don't mix it out.
It does fly well.
If you are not confident of you skills, a Boomerang or such will let you get into turbines with much less drama.
BTW, I love the way a Flash flys, lands ect. and the price is not all that bad.
I hope you pick something and have some fun.

Doug
Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 AM
E.N.T.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, If you like the Rookie, then, go for it.

Hector
Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Achillesfilho

Go for BOBCAT, no doubt.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy

My landing configeration is, Canard 85deg nose up, bottom airbrake out and both ailerons up about 10mm, vectored thrust on, my field has a patch that is 85 foot long and I can stop within it most of the time, never had any sign of a spin in on any configeration, lands nose high with the Canard up acting as a brake nearly impossible to put the nose leg down first unless you are flying it onto the patch, I consider my Rookie to be on par with the Elan for landing.

In the UK we don't have the luxury of paved runways at most sites, I share mine with about 100 sheep so the condition is not good.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.