Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Flash, best sports jet ever?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Flash, best sports jet ever?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CARF Flash, best sports jet ever?

ORIGINAL: causeitflies How's the vis on a solid gray cloudy day, like today? [sm=angry.gif]

without the tape it's nearly impossible to keep up with it, you'll have to fly 1/2 stick and keep it in close, with the tape on it it's harder to see then on a clear day but still doable within my comfort level. on a clear day the tape is much more visible then without it so the tape is a win regardless............FWIW the yellow on the bottom of the wing shows up about 100x better on the gray days.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Colin Gontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Ive gotta say I LOVE my flash. .Thanks Dave for setting it up yesterday. I bought a tatty flash a couple of months ago and loved it so much I had to build a new one as its going to be a permanent addition to my fleet. My old one has already found a good home at our club.

Having not owned a Bandit I cant compare but right at the moment nothing beats the Flash for me. Good speed envelope and smooth on all manouevers. Simon and I were surprised that we managed to nail the landings yesterday in zero wind but thats further testament to a great flying airframe and the crow setup.

Flying the Flash has been a big part in making my decision on whether to go for a CARF Hawk in terms of trusting strength, design and flying characteristics. Needless to say I found myself handing over the pennies for a Hawk at Jetpower.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:51 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The sun just came out!![8D] So, I'm off to fly the Flash
Old 09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I also have both. Unlike other folks here, given the choice of one, I'd have to go with a bandit. RAZOR sharp in the sky, where a flash is like a sharp butter knife.

Hey, don't get me wrong, my flash has given me endless hours of joy (about 19 at last turbine check! LOL) but I'll take my BANDITO anyday. And please UNCLE BOB, make the wings for a bandit to go on like an ULTRA PPPPLLLEEEAAAASSSEEE!

And hill climbin wit da boyz? Well you better show up with the flash for that!

Here's my video comparing the two.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6054107704990#

Raf
Old 09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
klave
My Feedback: (17)

Ravill has it wright on the money with his knife cutting threw butter analogy. I have flown a razer and owned a bandit and now im flying a flash and what ravill said is very true. I dont think I have flown a more smooth and precise jet than a bandit but with that being said the flash a awsome jet does what you tell it and does not fight back. I have over 180 flights with only one bad mishap and im just a intermediate pilot. Its is a very user frendly and easy to keep maitained I would say it is very strong also I have a jet central rhino in mine and put it to the test. Just dont put to much flap in or it can get tricky on your final approach.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love my Bandit, but you guys obviously fly mainly from hard runways. Our over populated small island ;-) does not have many we can access. Like I said the Bandit is a pattern plane with a soft elevator, the Flash is a fun fly jet with huge control power that needs a completely different set up.
In the UK there are 5 times as many Flashes flying as Bandits, I guess mainly due to price-though long term I think the Flash would just edge it here on sales because of our flying sites.

Dw
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Duncan

Maybe you should change the title to best hack jet? as it seems most people use it as a throw about model, when they just want to rag a model around the sky, pretty much like Sandor was doing in Pampa, it looked fun !!!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Dave Wilshere

It's way more than a hack model...-

email today from another Flash customer who test flew his Flash sunday...

Dave,

Flew the Flash for the first time yesterday, needed no trim at all and was flawless throughout the flight, from the dead straight take off to the greaser landing.
First impressions are, this is the best plane I have ever flown.
Thanks for your help with the set-up, the 'feel' was perfect. Went to full throttle once, but didn't keep it there long - it's faaaast! Did most of the flight on half throttle or less, landed after 7 minutes with 3/4 left in the fuselage tank.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i owned 3 of them

1 : Blue angels with Supersport not a good sight in the air..
always full power , but very light!

2 : thunderbirds P-120 mmmm same same

3 : custom sheme P-160SX same speed as P-120SX however goes vertical the same speed , as horizontal..
fly,s wicked manouvers , very silent if flown "normally"

did now 125 flights on flash no3 since april , like it very much..

NO openings in fuselage ,

i DO tape the leading edges
i closed the front retract opening from the inside to avoid overpressure inside fuselage.

i fly about 10 minutes wiht the P-160SX if flown normally , 7 minutes full power..

i also think it is a very forgiving model , just get the right gear for it...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Swiss air force

Hello Friends
I have a Flash with P120 and i would like to fly it on grass field for some displays.
Could you tell my have many millimeters of flaps you usted for takeoff !
And on with grassfield lengs you did fly ?
Thanks a lot for all your replys.
Regards Nick
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Swiss air force

Hello Friends
I have a Flash with P120 and i would like to fly it on grass field for some displays.
Could you tell my have many millimeters of flaps you usted for takeoff !
And on with grassfield lengs you did fly ?
Thanks a lot for all your replys.
Regards Nick

no flaps for take off..
max elevator p-120 you need on grass maybe 50 meters.
we fly on 100x100 meters

Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: digitech

i closed the front retract opening from the inside to avoid overpressure inside fuselage.
How did you do this?
Do you have a photo?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Please let me share my thoughts here with you after 2 FLASHES, 2 years in RC Jets and 20 years in the hobby general.

In fact the FLASH was the reason that I fell into jets. I fell in love with it when I saw it. And I rushed to buy it. However this is was when my happiness ended.

After a few hunded flights with the FLASH I have to admit the following issues. The FLASH has major issues that if I knew from the beggining I'd think twice of buying.

Issue 1 > Stock landing gear legs. I have to agree with Sandor here. Choose the right legs or you will suffer one way or another. Trailing link is the way to go there.

Issue 2 > Main tank has the wrong slope and is not enough. You definetely need a wing tank or to modify the main tank or you are in deep s$$$t

Issue 3 > Landing speed. This jet needs SPEED. Its landing speed is really high and nothing compared to Boomerangs or AD Scorpions. This can be bad or it could be good. Good in the sence that this is a REAL JET as LGM is saying in his thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9100360/tm.htm . If you are new to jets this will cost you highly if you are not careful.

If I was to buy a jet as a begginer I would not go for the FLASH.

Other than that the FLASH is a great sport jet but not for begginers.

Here is some of the fun I'm having with the FLASH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fevDyQ8AobI

Tassos
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: tassos p

Issue 1 > Stock landing gear legs. I have to agree with Sandor here. Choose the right legs or you will suffer one way or another. Trailing link is the way to go there.

Issue 2 > Main tank has the wrong slope and is not enough. You definetely need a wing tank or to modify the main tank or you are in deep s$$$t

Issue 3 > Landing speed. This jet needs SPEED. Its landing speed is really high and nothing compared to Boomerangs or AD Scorpions. This can be bad or it could be good. Good in the sence that this is a REAL JET as LGM is saying in his thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9100360/tm.htm . If you are new to jets this will cost you highly if you are not careful.

i realize when it comes to jets (and most anything else) that things work 100% different across the big pond then they do here in the southern US but with that said............

non-issue 1 > my stock legs are holding up with no problems at all after hundreds of flights, granted I've only flown off grass a hand full of times but it wasn't a problem there either.

non-issue 2 > of course you need a wing tank 160 class turbines suck down the fuel and without the wing tank the flight time would be way too short, with it i get 7 min of absolute pleasure at 199.975mph.

non-issue 3 > i guess if you live at 6000' ASL landing speed could be on the high side but at the 311' like where i fly at she'll slow down to a crawl, granted it doesn't bleed speed like a draggy boomerang but that's expected for any clean airframe, you have to pull it back, drop the gear and flaps to get the drag up and let it glide a lap and she's down to less then 35mph on landing.

a properly setup Flash is an excellent first jet and as Dave posted it's the best sport jet out there hands down.

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

How did you do this?
Do you have a photo?

Thanks
you can cover the wood frame and seal the bay area around the nose retract, i think it's unnecessary myself and unless you're using the full bypass it's cutting down on performance, the nose wheel opening helps get more air when running the large class turbines.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Dave Wilshere

KC Yep!

Tassos, pity we had no video on Saturday, no wind, 25-28 degrees (hot English weather ;-) The guys with little experience, Simon has only flown Boomerang and Flash and Colin a couple more and both landed real slow on a strip with no run off area. Flash will land slow, touch down about the same as an ARF Bandit, just takes much longer to slow down to that speed. The Wing tank is a must, yes it could be added as stock. I've never run out of fuel 9 minutes with a P120. I have a UAT.
Dw

PS I always takeoff with flap...infact all our club of Flashes do.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
tassos p

thanks KC for your comments

you're talking as an experienced hobbyist but for me that I consider myself still an amateur (although about 20 years in the rc world) these issues exist around the globe and as you can easily read through the built thread of the FLASH http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...tm.htm#4535119
many mention them and suggest solutions. Also my teacher (an rc jet pilot since 1997 and a test pilot of jetcat) shares my views.

And also I forgot the another issue

Issue 4 > Wheels coming off the rims. Stock legs and wheels can cause damage to your plane

Now with my short experience I would strongly suggest to whoever is interested to go into rc jets to avoid buying this jet as it requires an experienced builder and pilot.

This is a jet I would recommend as a 2nd or 3rd jet. Then its pretty good

Tassos
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
RCISFUN

Issue 2 > Main tank has the wrong slope and is not enough. You definitely need a wing tank or to modify the main tank or you are in deep s$$$t

Tassos

That's funny, yesterday I did some testing and my main tank was able to draw all but a few drops of fuel out of it... must be that "across the pond thing" that KC3630 was talking about

I am running a 18 oz header tank and that feeds the UAT.
I want to use the wing tank for smoke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85294.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1284402  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
KC36330

Issue 4 > Wheels coming off the rims. Stock legs and wheels can cause damage to your plane

Now with my short experience I would strongly suggest to whoever is interested to go into rc jets to avoid buying this jet as it requires an experienced builder and pilot.

nobody can deny the tire issues, I've had problems even with the new 'harder' tires but that's when i have to go back to non-issue 3, when my tires come off on the take off roll i fly my normal flight and land on the rims, due to the slow landing speed roll out is minimal and the damage is minimal as well, it flakes the chrome off the rims and the edges need a little hit with some 180 grit on the lathe to smooth them out. after the new hard tires came off the fist time i added some black max to the rim when i installed them back on and they've not come off again.

as far as building goes, IME the Flash is about one of the easiest and quickest builds out there, it's as straight forward, step by step as it gets, takes only a few evenings of a couple hours each to have her ready to fly. no hinges or control horns to glue in. even using V-poxy you spend more time waiting on glue to dry then building.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
tassos p

the wheel issue was the only issue that was solved adequetly and promptly thanks to Peter and Intairco. fantastic service from Intairco, well done

My #1 FLASH in the maiden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70096.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1284412  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 PM
KC36330

the wheel issue was the only issue that was solved adequetly...........

I've gotta LOL with that being another of those across the big pond things, the tire issue has not been fixed, myself and countless others still have the new tires coming off without gluing them. it's considerably better then it was but still an issue. i wish they were a much harder compound, they wear pretty quick on the hardtop.

i do have to say though, I've never had just one come off, it's always been both the mains.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone set up one and flown it on a Wren Super Sport? Is it enough to get er goin?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Dave Wilshere

You guys must run way faster than needed on the ground, maybe you need flaps ;-)) The middle soft tyre was a problem, but early and late tyres have not been an issue in England-I guess we are cooler than both of you, so the rubber is not softening. So granted you might be having tyre issues, in the UK we are pretty good on that.

There are plenty of models out there that are supposed to be for beginners to Jets, the instructions and hardware are junk-this is a real issue. I have test flown 30+ Flash models from all levels of build confidence and experience...they all flew!

So, if you fly in hot countries on hard runways, you might want to glue the tires, other than that it's all good.

Dw
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Has anyone set up one and flown it on a Wren Super Sport? Is it enough to get er goin?
Goose
I weighed mine yesterday with a full fuel load...27 LBS.

My Rabbit is putting out 19 lbs static on the ground, I haven't flow mine yest but other have said it flys great.

I think your Super Sport is Rated at 18 Lbs...correct
Old 09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Dave Wilshere

There are a few with SS and they fly OK, takes a bit of time to get up and go, but OK. I flew one a few years back with a P60...now that was underpowered, but it flew!

Dw
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
KC36330

Dave

it's defiantly heat related, every time I've had mine come off it was a 95ΒΊ + and the pits area is black asphalt adding allot more heat to the tires. I've got to where when it's that hot out i sit it in a cradle off the ground till I'm ready to fire it up and fly.
flying off grass is most likely not an issue even at high temps.

none the less a harder compound would solve it completely. I've smoked a set of Tam wheels shooting touch and goes from numbers to numbers and other then his wheels that came with my first A-4 they've all stayed on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.