Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 AM
asimace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richbran
Jannica

Wood, plywood included, is absolutely a non-issue for radio waves. Trouble starts with carbon reinforced fuses.

Place them 90 degrees differently, as far as I know the position relative to the receiver is also of no importance, at least I never heard anything about that.
I'm sure it's just a typo, but the patch antennas should be 180 degrees from each other... opposite in other words!
See my post about my installation.
After using the patch antennas for a few months now, all I can say is just perfect reception..!
Best regards, Mauri
Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 AM
asimace

Talking about the Bat60's I've had the chance to get my hands on, I like the size of the transmitter, the gimbals are very interesting and innovative, I'm sure the interface will be outstanding and I think the white and the black versions look good.
What I don't like, and I hope the production units will be different, are the switches and sliders that look and feel real cheapish and low-end compared to other brands.
Mauri
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mauri, You're right, I read only now he was referring to the patch antenna's, not the normal ones. Anyway, the wooden structure isn't an issue. Till now I didn't use the patches yet, only the short stubby ones on a Gizmo unit, and those I have at 90 degrees.
Tks
Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM
RafalePilot

Default Giga Control OS requirement

Hello guys,

does the Weatronic software package (GigaControl, GigaUpdate, drivers) work with Win 8.1 ?

I have to change my 2008 XP notebook, and now the only available option is Win 8.1. No infomation about this on the Weatronic site.

Many thanks

Bernard
Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM
ville56

Originally Posted by RafalePilot
Hello guys,

does the Weatronic software package (GigaControl, GigaUpdate, drivers) work with Win 8.1 ?

I have to change my 2008 XP notebook, and now the only available option is Win 8.1. No infomation about this on the Weatronic site.

Many thanks

Bernard
For me it works fine on a laptop with Win 8.1, no problems!

/Ville
Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 AM
tms-ger

Weatronic official info on BAT60...

http://www.weatronic.com/de/UserFile...0challenge.pdf
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tms-ger
Weatronic official info on BAT60...

http://www.weatronic.com/de/UserFile...0challenge.pdf
Do we all remember that a year ago their website said the BAT60 would be on sale in time for the 2013 flying season? A year on and they admit they have no clue when it will be ready. So when they told us a year ago it was about to go on sale, either they knew they were telling huge lies or they haven't got a clue what they have got themselves involved with. Neither gives me any confidence in them any longer.

Last edited by HarryC; 03-03-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM
tms-ger

...I guessed that this would be your reaction to the statement when I posted it; but whatever you say, ... one day it is done and it will be a great transmitter and maybe there will be nothing really compareable at this time. So long, we run our MX22 with Graupner Software and DV4BT + build-in speaker for telemetry. That works fine for us.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps. But perhaps not.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM
HarryC

Originally Posted by tms-ger
...I guessed that this would be your reaction to the statement when I posted it; but whatever you say, ... one day it is done and it will be a great transmitter and maybe there will be nothing really compareable at this time. .
At least I am reliable then which is more than we can say about wea's announcements! Please explain why they promised us a year ago that we could buy it in early 2013.
You hope it will be a great transmitter
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I share your frustration and disappointment. However, when you are trying to advance technology in a game changing way, things, even in the best regulated organisations don't always go to plan or schedule.

The Boeing 787 and Airbus A380 come to mind, YEARS behind schedule.

Lets hope the wait is worth it !

David.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
HarryC

How will it be a game changer David? What will it do that no other tx already does and every brand will want to copy?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM
ville56

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I share your frustration and disappointment. However, when you are trying to advance technology in a game changing way, things, even in the best regulated organisations don't always go to plan or schedule.

The Boeing 787 and Airbus A380 come to mind, YEARS behind schedule.

Lets hope the wait is worth it !

David.
David, you, if anyone ought to be able to cast courage in us yearning. I know you are unable to express yourself too much, but you have the transmitter in your hand, and ought to have a gut feeling which way it leans?

/Ville

Last edited by ville56; 03-03-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Harry, Ville, Whether the new Tx turns out to be game changing, in fact, remains to be seen, others must be the judge. When I started using Weatronics, over 7 years ago, I really thought it would be what all manufacturers of top end radios would follow. The 2.4 system with Giga Control took it to new levels. I am VERY surprised that JR etc have not followed it because the Wea 2.4 really is still unmatched, so far as I can see, in its safety through redundancy, its warning downlinks, its data downlink stream which allows such accurate performance analysis of the whole system, and its truly incredible programmability, no bling, just REALLY useful features which allow me to set up my aircraft with great precision and fly them with what I believe to be the greatest safety level. The Tx certainly enhances safety even further with features such as the dual (in fact triple) battery system. If I had to fly IN an aircraft controlled by a radio, Weatronics would be the system I wanted to control it ! It is certainly interesting to see a number of pilots of fullsize jets (Boeing and Airbus, both of which have incredible avionics and flight management systems) who fly and appreciate the features of the system.

When I am fully familiar with the system you will get my frank observations as will Wea, no BS !

It is a complex transmitter, very complex in fact, way beyond any model RC system I have ever encountered (and I have used them all from single channel systems, Flight Link, Kraft. PCS, Sprengbrook, Skyleader and JRs to the 12Xs etc) and I will use a Skype link with Wea this week to go through it. Sorry to be late but we have had serious flood problems here, followed by a weeks ski-iing, now back to some modelling !

I have taken some cursory looks but as some software is incomplete, I cannot yet make any really objective assessments.

What I think must be remembered is that Weatronics is a small company doing their damndest to bring us the highest levels of technology and model safety, something I am convinced they achieved with their 2.4 receiver range. I sympathise with them because delays such as this cost them sales and investment costs but I would rather wait for a perfect system later than a less perfect system on time.

Their 2.4 receivers were delayed because one chip manufacturer (world renowned) did not meet their quality standads. They delayed, changed supplier, at some cost, the result was a truly superb set of receivers, 13 (now 15) of which have given me perfect service. But as I said things don't always go smoothly even with the most determined efforts. I mentioned the 787, years late and STILL suffered a post service entry grounding both of which cost Boeing dear. The 380 has shown to be suffering from rib cracking, an expensive repair, despite the most intense design programme by some of the world's finest engineers and stressman, that too is costing Airbus. It happens.

I can wait for the new tx, I sincerely hope the delay will result in a superb system but only time and in-field service will tell !

Regards, David.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:53 AM
HarryC

But what could they do that makes it special? Part of the reason I bought weatronic was for the data logging in challenging metal coated models but to some extent Jeti now does that. Jeti has two tx modules with I believe 4 tx aerials sending to up to 4 aerials in the model compared to wea's 2 sending to 2. The wea transmission system doesn't seem anything special.

It is hinted that the BAT60 will have 22 channels but my Frsky Taranis has 32 and can do multi protocol which wea can't so 22channels is nothing special.

Jeti has programmable rx programmed from tx so the BAT60 is following not leading on that.

When I handled the BAT60 at jetpower I felt that many switches were out if reach and overall ergonomics were moderate to poor.

What is left? If the software beats a multiplex 4000 or OpenTx I will be amazed though happy but that won't be a game changer. When we were chatting with Ralf and I asked him could it do this could it do that, he seemed unaware of just what fantastic features are available on the latest competitor sets.

Wea is just taking so long that they are being overtaken by much faster more agile competitors and I fear that when the BAT60 is finally on sale we won't see anything that isn't already available on other brands at lower prices. The throttle/brake stick is nice but it isn't going to set the model world on fire!

Last edited by HarryC; 03-04-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Jeti USA

And you still have Gyros / Accelerometers built in to the Jeti DS-16 line of radios. On the top of this there will be full integration of EX Bus wireless programming with BavarianDemon Cortex gyro.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM
ville56

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Harry, Ville, Whether the new Tx turns out to be game changing, in fact, remains to be seen, others must be the judge....

Regards, David.
Thank you David for your reply. We will have to wait again, last time I waited for Multiplex Profi TX which unfortunately was not what I had envisioned.
Lucky that I get by fine with the equipment I have today.

/Ville
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM
luv2flyrc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Wea is just taking so long that they are being overtaken by much faster more agile competitors and I fear that when the BAT60 is finally on sale we won't see anything that isn't already available on other brands at lower prices. The throttle/brake stick is nice but it isn't going to set the model world on fire!
This is true; when the Bat 60 was announced the ideas were cutting edge, now it's been delayed so long that the key features ie. 9 bearing gimbals, built in redundancy and logging, tx accelerometers, patch antennae etc, etc are all available with Jeti at lower prices.

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
And you still have Gyros / Accelerometers built in to the Jeti DS-16 line of radios. On the top of this there will be full integration of EX Bus wireless programming with BavarianDemon Cortex gyro.
One area where Wea still leads is with their receivers, with built in gyros, power management and patch antennae but, as we see above, that gap is closing fast too.

All the cool telemetry that has been developed for the jeti system that is currently available such as GSU info on the TX, fuel flow meters etc will still need to be developed for the BAT 60 even after it's release! We could be literally waiting years for what Jeti has available today!

Disappointing at the very least.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-04-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM
J.F

It's like the English file all over again, promises, delays, promises, delays..
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

A friend of mine is giving up on waiting for the Wea Tx and has ordered a Jeti system. I feel a little tempted myself but then I already have a whole bunch of Wea Rx and they are not bad in any way either. So, is there any way to combine the Wea and Jeti systems known to man? Is there any Wea module to put into a Jeti Tx to make it handle Wea RX or anything along that line? I guess no..but what´s wrong with asking?
Jannica
Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 PM
luv2flyrc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jannica
A friend of mine is giving up on waiting for the Wea Tx and has ordered a Jeti system. I feel a little tempted myself but then I already have a whole bunch of Wea Rx and they are not bad in any way either. So, is there any way to combine the Wea and Jeti systems known to man? Is there any Wea module to put into a Jeti Tx to make it handle Wea RX or anything along that line? I guess no..but what´s wrong with asking?
Jannica
I considered this too but, I don't think it can be done. Although the Jeti has an internal PPM output jack that might be able to be utilized, the transmitter itself uses a single cell 3.6v lipo. The Weatronic transmitter modules require 5v-10v according to their specs so, even if you could get the PPM signal from the transmitter, you would require an external battery to power the module.

It is becoming very difficult to find a Tx to work with a Wea module. I just aquired a (discontinued) NIB Futaba 12FG to use as it seems like the Wea BAT 60 is seriously delayed. The 12FG is a step down in quality compared to the JR12xMV that I've been using but, I had become frustrated with the 8 channel limit that the JR12x/ Wea combo has. The Futaba 12FG with the Wea FASST adapter should give me 12 channels but unfortunately, it doesn't work! Intermittent glitching of the servos.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-07-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
zl1wn

I am finding the voice extremely useful for monitoring speed, height and vario on my sailplanes,
and I use the tow release for the controlling switch. However I am finding that in one position of the switch I get the vario beeps, and in the other
position no beeps, and unfortunately due to the setup of the tow release, it varies from model to model. The vario of is NOT ticked on any model or switch position.
I dont want to reverse the release action in the models, as having the switch do the same thing in all models is an important safety factor if a quick release is needed.
So is it possible to reverse the action of the switches in the voice option, so that I get the vario beeps when the switch is in the same position on all models.
Alternatively why dont i get beeps in both switch positions.
Comments please.
Regards
Ross
Auckland NZ
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

I did about the same, swapped my ever getting older FC28's for (used) FX30's. Indeed because of age and the 8 channel PPM limit. Basically to sit out the waiting period to the tray transmitter with more suitable TX's.

I set my transmitter modulation in my TXes in the FASSTmode, and my receivers with GC into (Manual) WEATRONIC modulation.
Works like a breeze, The 7.5 voltage in the FX30 does not seem to affect the performance of the WEA unit, I am a tug pilot and we need RANGE (Altitude).

However I did not (yet)get the audio output of a combo GPS unit/MUX box/IAS tube telling me what I like. But that might be some crooked software setting problem I have to delve into with the help of WEA.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I considered this too but, I don't think it can be done. Although the Jeti has an internal PPM output jack that might be able to be utilized, the transmitter itself uses a single cell 3.6v lipo. The Weatronic transmitter modules require 5v-10v according to their specs so, even if you could get the PPM signal from the transmitter, you would require an external battery to power the module.

It is becoming very difficult to find a Tx to work with a Wea module. I just aquired a (discontinued) NIB Futaba 12FG to use as it seems like the Wea BAT 60 is seriously delayed. The 12FG is a step down in quality compared to the JR12xMV that I've been using but, I had become frustrated with the 8 channel limit that the JR12x/ Wea combo has. The Futaba 12FG with the Wea FASST adapter should give me 12 channels but unfortunately, it doesn't work! Intermittent glitching of the servos.

Mike
Mike, if you purchased this Tx specifically for this use, I would recommend you to call Jens in Germany. Check with him if it would be worth for you to send the transmitter + module over to them to see if that can glitching problem can be fixed.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
RUFTER

Mike,

I use my Weatronic DV4 module on a Graupner/SJ MC32 transmitter, wich also has a internal voltage of 3,6V.
But the external ppm socket will give you 5V! I'm sure the Jeti transmitters do the same thing, or else it would make the external ppm feature on Jeti pretty much useless. Just forward the question to Mr. JetiUSA to be sure.
The only warning i've read on a Graupner support forum is not to use FrSky modules on the external ppm, the FrSky module seems to need more than 5V to operate reliable.

Regards, Bart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.