Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:41 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I will be setting all 12 taranis channels to 2milliseconds then progressively shorten the frame length from taranis while watching giga control to see what happens to the data arriving at the receiver.
A Multiplex "problem" is that it seems to use a very long synchronisation pulse (I think it was 9ms when i measured it about 10 years ago) and that slows down the frame rate, whereas Taranis adjusts to maintain just 4.3ms synchro pulse.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:50 AM
HarryC

What's the latest news about BAT60?
Is there anything firm about a date to be on sale or is it still just wait for next year?
When I tried it at Jetpower the sticks were rougher than a toy tx due to the design of using rollers over the shaped curves instead of springs, has that been addressed and fixed? None of us could reach the rocker switches and anyway a rocker lying along your finger cant be pressed at its far end, have they been moved to a better place? Internet rumour has it that software is very slow and still not beyond early prototype stage, have they got something sellable yet?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:12 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Is there anything firm about a date to be on sale or is it still just wait for next year?
When I tried it at Jetpower the sticks were rougher than a toy tx due to the design of using rollers over the shaped curves instead of springs, has that been addressed and fixed? None of us could reach the rocker switches and anyway a rocker lying along your finger cant be pressed at its far end, have they been moved to a better place? Internet rumour has it that software is very slow and still not beyond early prototype stage, have they got something sellable yet?
The latest firmware is much faster and completely stable. Functions are being implemented right now. Hardware is still evolving. The sticks on my beta unit are excellent and very smooth. I have no release date for the US market at this stage.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 PM
olnico

By the way Harry, we have been operating our fleet of 20 UAV with 6 Taranis equipped with JR10x Wea adapters and micro 12 Rx for over a month now. Absolutely no problem at all with this combo and custom edited firmwares. I have not bothered dropping the frame lenghts below 2 ms as we are operating copters that mostly fly on flight plans but I am pretty sure that the radio would send 45 fps without any problem. The adapter takes it for sure on the 10x and 12x.

We have already accumulated hundred of hours with this setup without any problem.
My only concern is the durability of the Taranis hardware, especially the stick pots. Time will not tell for us as we will switch to BAT 60 as soon as they are available.

Also, we fly the UAVs way beyond the transmitters range and get consistently figures of 6 km radio link with the Weatronic system and patch antennas vs 3 km for most other systems.

Last edited by olnico; 05-26-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 PM
NICLAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I´ve got a mail from Mr.Hartman at Weatronic...Late June or July "This year.. )" is the European release.Let´s hope that it´s gonna be true.I have been waiting for 2 years
Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 AM
HarryC

Originally Posted by olnico
By the way Harry, we have been operating our fleet of 20 UAV with 6 Taranis equipped with JR10x Wea adapters and micro 12 Rx for over a month now. Absolutely no problem at all with this combo and custom edited firmwares. I have not bothered dropping the frame lenghts below 2 ms as we are operating copters that mostly fly on flight plans but I am pretty sure that the radio would send 45 fps without any problem. The adapter takes it for sure on the 10x and 12x.

We have already accumulated hundred of hours with this setup without any problem.
My only concern is the durability of the Taranis hardware, especially the stick pots. Time will not tell for us as we will switch to BAT 60 as soon as they are available.
Thanks Oli. Did you find a Wea aerial mount that slots straight into Taranis or did you have to make your own?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 AM
olnico

Thanks Oli. Did you find a Wea aerial mount that slots straight into Taranis or did you have to make your own?
We made our own.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:16 AM
HarryC

New GPS module coming with other sensors built into it
http://www.shop.weatronic.com/teleme...t=40&c=40&p=40
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 AM
ville56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NICLAS
I´ve got a mail from Mr.Hartman at Weatronic...Late June or July "This year.. )" is the European release.Let´s hope that it´s gonna be true.I have been waiting for 2 years
Good to hear!

/Ville
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM
roger.alli

New GPS module coming with other sensors built into it
http://www.shop.weatronic.com/teleme...t=40&c=40&p=40
'It gets a new GPS sensor, a barometric altimeter and further sensors."

Hmmmm.. They tell us it will have a barometric altimeter and some other stuff attached. I wonder if this means an air speed sensor.. This would be a great combo of telemetry, giving accurate airspeed/height, combined with tracking. And do away with the need for a linkvario or MUX box..

Typically, Wea teases us with a tiny bit of information.. The product is probably years away from release..

Roger
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM
tms-ger

Hi Roger,

I do not think this will last very long, because there is no GPS available for WEA at the moment. This is a hard cut, no transition. But having a GPS for telemerey is "standard", so I think there will be a "short" solution for this delivery lag. And also keep in mind that things have changed at the WEA stuff itself compared to what was happening one or two years ago...

And it is not that complex as the new TXs...

LG

Tom
Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 AM
chuckstarck

It finally happened to me. About three years of use. I had glued down the cable at the TX adapter and the TX module with hot glue so mine would NEVER MOVE. I knew mine would never go bad and I never unpluged the cable from either unit and I have only removed the adapter 2-3 times from the transmitter. I was safe before it happened. Maybe! I have a stand on the back of my transmitter that seems to have helped cause the problem on my system.
I had taxied out and I flipped the stand down and the transmitter went dead, no control. I noticed the lights out on the TX module. After touching the adapter end of the cable in a couple minutes I could see that I had something wrong with that end. Slight touching would cause the Wea module to either light up or blink like it was just powering up. Believe it or not, I had times when my Wea would not light up and I turned it on and off and that fixed it... HA HA. That happened over the last year multiple times.
I've been an electronic tech for 55 years and have never had a connector like this fail. I was sure it was a broken wire in the patch cable itself, probably by the connector. On the bench I found that I could hold the plug in and wiggle the wire and nothing changed. I could pull it side to side, end to end and nothing changed but if I moved the plug itself, immediately the power would flash on and off. I'm guessing that the spring tension of the metal female connector IN the plug itself is loosing tension and any slight movement just aggravates this issue. Hence my stand touching the cable when I folded it was just enough. With all this being said, the one post that said he would never fly with the stock cable again, he is so very right. And, yes, it does have to happen to you to get you to realize it's going to happen to everyone. My resolution was to use 22 strand servo cable and hard wire both ends. Change the cable every year if that satisfies you but keep in mind, the new one is on the way to failure as well.
The adapter has both a pin connector and a board edge set of solder pads. I elected to use the board edge ones on the adapter side. On the TX side, I was a little skeptical of the board edge pads so I bent the plug male pins in opposite directions and soldered directly to them.

Here's some pictures of the process and the cause and hopefully the fix. Gosh it seems like we never talk about any failures of the Wea system except this. And I posted my "FIX" with the hot glue about two years ago... hmmm

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
Jo

I had not had my set long when my lead failed suddenly noticed LEDs going on/off and the lead had not been badly treated!

1. Use a very sharp blade and and remove the very thin plastic that's over the connections
2. Use a soldering iron that has around 1-1.2mm tip the soldering iron bit needs to be well tinned and clean as you need very quick heat transfer to the joint and as the tip is very small the heat loss happens quickly. Heat up joint and use the smallest diameter 60/40 tin/lead you can find and feed into joint.
3. I used a small amount of Hysol to seal the joint.
4. When this is set you will find that the plug is very slightly tighter in the socket than before

I have used since soldering and had no problems including swapping the lead to a DV4 from DV3.

Personally I would not use this lead as it is without soldering as it is just an accident waiting to happen, the guy who stated that his lead was ok and thinks they are all fine to use just remember mine was fine one minute and useless the next! You have been warned :-)

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 016 (Medium).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2001592   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2001593   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2001594   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2001595   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2001596   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2001597   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 012 (Medium).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2001598   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 013 (Medium).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	2001599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 014 (Medium).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2001600  
Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 AM
fireblade5437

That's why I make new leads with fully soldered joints....think I have made around 45-50 leads to date

Alan
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM
chuckstarck

Changing this every year is nonsense in my opinion. Guessing at what date in a year it might go bad seems futile. Just fix it. The opportunity for failure is the square of the parts, two plugs, one wire, nine ways, that... by itself, has opportunity for failure. Reducing this to a wire is one way for failure. In my case it was/is not the failure of the wire to the metal connector, it's the connector to the connector pin of the socket. This is not a crimp issue. The soldering may be annealing the metal portion, spring action, of the female side though so it's more flexible. I thought the hot glue was a good fix too. Interesting that both the tx and adapter have options for wired connection.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 AM
chuckstarck

OR... it could be contamination of the connector. Might be interesting to geographically see where the problems exist. I'm high altitude, very little air pollution and very dry desert air, about 15%humidity. Maybe those who have had it happen more frequently or sooner than others are in higher humidity.

Last edited by chuckstarck; 06-08-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 AM
fireblade5437

When soldering them I use minimum heat plus I use a heat sink (contact area) and I test pressure on each contact afterwards that's why they take a while to make
I do not solder like you would normally do ie feeding solder in I cut exact 2mm lengths of very small diameter solder so as soon as you touch with fine pointed iron set to lowest heat. After all the leads made my plugs have exactly the same grip as before soldering

I know which lead I would rather use .....

Alan
Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This really is "crazy" that these home "remedies" are required on an otherwise superb system!

Mike
Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 AM
fireblade5437

Yes I agree it's a shame we have to make these leads but Wea cannot really change the sockets used also the sockets have been discontinued by the manufacture and I do not think it will be long before the plugs are finished as well

Do not forget that Wea do not even acknowledge that there has been problems and I only started to make them after having mine fail in the pits getting ready to fly

Alan
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same thing happen to me last year Alan, on the ground getting ready for a flight. I like your fix but, my soldering skills pale in comparison to yours, I destroyed the "bad" wire/connector while practicing on it and decided not to attempt it on a good wire. Instead, I used a rubberized paint ( of the type that you dip tool handles in) to stress relieve the connector to the wire.

No problem since but, that may just be dumb luck

Mike
Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this module still available for a JR 10X? If so, who sells them?

EDIT: Got my answer... Ultimate Jets... spoke to Woody

Last edited by grbaker; 06-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
This really is "crazy" that these home "remedies" are required on an otherwise superb system!

Mike
Mike, this is not a remedy but a standards for us.
We supply all our customers with Alan's soldered leads.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 PM
HarryC

I see the parent company Grundig is now in the title bar of Wea's website.

Alan may I buy one of your leads please.
H.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:28 PM
fireblade5437

Harry

PM sent

Alan
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Oli,
I would really like to see pictures of how you mounted the Wea transmitter module on the Taranis box.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by olnico

Also, we fly the UAVs way beyond the transmitters range and get consistently figures of 6 km radio link with the Weatronic system and patch antennas vs 3 km for most other systems.
------------------------------------------------------

Oli,
Myself and 2 modeling friends have been flying the Taranis for about 7 months. All 3 of us feel for our personal taste the centering of the sticks is too soft even with the tension adjusted full high. The sticks have metal pins for centering but they mate with a plastic centering arm. Jack has replaced the plastic centering arm with a steel arm hand made and now with the metal to metal the center feels very positive. We will replace the centering arm on the other two transmitters in the near future. I put a stiffer spring in mine rudder stick and the spring bent the centering arm enough to cause very sloppy centering and I went back to the standard spring.

When Jack was installing the metal centering arms he disassembled one of the pots to check the quality and was impressed with it. He doesn't think we need better pots.

I still would like to get the details on how you mounted the Weatronic Tx module on the Taranis and the wiring details.

Sid Gates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.