Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just received my Patch cables Alan. They look great..

Cheers
Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 PM
fireblade5437

No worries, good they arrived ok...

Alan
Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM
zeev barnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any new kind of cable that is better for Weatronic system?
please send a link
thank you in advance
Old 07-26-2014, 12:02 PM
fireblade5437

Zeev

I make soldered version that is a lot more secure only problem is whilst getting my trailer ready to hitch to the car today my boot laces on my right boot got tangled with the left boot resulting in me going flying! Result: in hospital writing this with broken bone in ankle and top of lower leg waiting for operation! Smashed knee into Tarmac and ankle folded under me...
They say flying model aircraft can be dangerous so is trying to get all your stuff ready for the air field!
Worst still I have just lost my 2 week stay in the US, was going out on Aug 11th to spend some time with Dustflyer :-(

Dutchy I will make your two leads as soon as I get home, sorry this was not planned!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2017528  

Last edited by fireblade5437; 07-26-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DUDE, so sorry to hear/see that! Hope it does not hurt any more......
Old 07-26-2014, 12:38 PM
fireblade5437

Thanks..

Very sore ATM but taking the pills so hopefully pain will go off at least when they knock me out for op I will not feel anything!
Really gutted at not getting up to runway today as blue sky n hot plus I wanted to try out my trailer that I have spent the last 4months building!

Alan
Old 07-26-2014, 01:01 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zeev barnes
is there any new kind of cable that is better for Weatronic system?
please send a link
thank you in advance
After all that has been written on this thread do you STILL have to ask this question??

Get well soon Alan.

David G.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM
zeev barnes

WOW
sorry to hear about you broken leg
hope that you get well very soon
I wish you a better week
awaiting
best
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 PM
fireblade5437

Zeev

Thanks for that, I will have plenty of time to make you a lead if you would like one as I will not be at work for a while!

Alan
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 PM
fireblade5437

David

Thanks for your wishes, just can't believe spent 4months constructing my new trailer for my planes and it was just about to be hitched on the car yesterday for its maiden trip...

Alan

sorry for posting pics of trailer on here but bored already :-(
decided to have 12v battery on board that charges as you drive and I can also charge planes up whilst driving but only the Li-ion and Li-Fe would not charge Li-Po whilst driving to see trailer on fire in rear view mirror :-)
It took a lot more paint to spray the trailer than it did to spray the Hawk! I used 2 litres of white 2k and 5 coats with 15min flash off between coats
Just noticed the name on the side of the tyre very appropriate that it is called 'Runway' 8ply for trailers, one thing I have to do is get it on a weighbridge to get the Gross weight. The axle is rated at 1100kg so think it can take a few planes!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	57
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2017627   Click image for larger version

Views:	50
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2017628   Click image for larger version

Views:	47
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2017629   Click image for larger version

Views:	49
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2017630   Click image for larger version

Views:	46
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2017631   Click image for larger version

Views:	53
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2017632   Click image for larger version

Views:	62
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2017633   Click image for larger version

Views:	40
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2017634  

Click image for larger version

Views:	52
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2017635   Click image for larger version

Views:	53
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2017636   Click image for larger version

Views:	50
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2017637   Click image for larger version

Views:	46
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2017638   Click image for larger version

Views:	41
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2017913   Click image for larger version

Views:	51
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2017914   Click image for larger version

Views:	43
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2017915  

Last edited by fireblade5437; 07-27-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 AM
luv2flyrc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gyros: Is anyone having success with running the built in gyros in turbine jets?

I'm having issues with an intermittent glitch of the gyro, particularly annoying on aileron, in a number of jet models. It's happening with all receivers, a micro 12 gyro 3, a 12-22R gyro 3 and a 12-22R gyro 2, all installed in different jets.

I do recall Harry having this issue as well but, I don't know if he ever resolved it. He believed it to be induced by acoustic noise coming from the turbine. Harry please feel free to comment more and did you ever develop a fix?

What I've encountered is an occasional "quick flick" of the ailerons, particularly when my throttle stick passes slightly below half throttle. It is definitely an issue of the gyro as it does not occur when the gyro is turned off. It also happens whether using a Jr or Futaba Tx to run the Wea module. I'm running all the current Wea firmware.

I don't really want to move to an external gyro when I have a built in system but, this anomaly is going to cost me an expensive airframe when it happens low to the ground or far away and disorients me. I'd like to get it resolved.

Have others experienced this with the Weatronic gyro's?

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 AM
zeev barnes

Alan
your trailer looks very professional Very nice work
For the wire I will very happy to have a new cable
i am using my for about 4 years with no major problems
but I thing it time to get a new one.
Get well
best
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, Wea said it was acoustic interference from the engine and I went on to prove it beyond doubt on ground tests. I could demonstrate the ailerons and rudder kicking and fluttering at certain rpm even if the Rx was held in my hand and not in contact with the airframe. There is no fix. I solved it by fitting an external piezo gyro. I suspect wea is not using the best quality mems gyros otherwise other brands of gyro would suffer too though I see the early bavarian demon cortex had an optional acoustic hood to stop the problem but doesn't now. It has made me very wary of using the wea gyro in any of my planes, it came close to destroying my Sabre.

Last edited by HarryC; 07-28-2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 AM
luv2flyrc

Thanks Harry, sounds similar, this must be what is happening to me as well.

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
HarryC

If that's what it is you should be able to replicate it easily on the ground at the relevant rpm.

odd that you get it on several models though.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM
_Dutchy_

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
Dutchy I will make your two leads as soon as I get home, sorry this was not planned!

Hi there Alan,

No worries, you have a legit excuse.
What a bummer and especially when it messes up with your holiday plans!
Take care and get well soon.

But please make 3 leads as agreed

Nice trailer by the way!

Last edited by _Dutchy_; 07-27-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2014, 03:16 PM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by HarryC
If that's what it is you should be able to replicate it easily on the ground at the relevant rpm.

odd that you get it on several models though.
I can replicate it on the ground. It occurs when the throttle passes slightly below the mid stick point. It doesn't happen all the time but, it does not take many attempts to get it to occur.

Yes, I thought it odd as well that it rears itself in different models with different sized engines and different acoustic conditions. It may be that the acoustics are not the cause of it. I do have a forth model with a Micro 12 gyro 3 in it that I have not noticed it on.

It is most definitely a "glitch" of the gyro though, as there is no issue when it is turned off and it happens using two different tx's.

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
By the way Harry, we have been operating our fleet of 20 UAV with 6 Taranis equipped with JR10x Wea adapters and micro 12 Rx for over a month now. Absolutely no problem at all with this combo and custom edited firmwares. I have not bothered dropping the frame lenghts below 2 ms as we are operating copters that mostly fly on flight plans but I am pretty sure that the radio would send 45 fps without any problem. The adapter takes it for sure on the 10x and 12x.
Olnico or others,
My futaba 12FG has died of old age. Need a new solution until BAT 60 comes out. Cant find a replacement 12FG.

One option is the Taranis. Is this the right adapter http://www.shop.weatronic.com/transm...&t=3&c=63&p=63 ? Any issues with region coding?
Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Olnico or others,
My futaba 12FG has died of old age. Need a new solution until BAT 60 comes out. Cant find a replacement 12FG.

One option is the Taranis. Is this the right adapter http://www.shop.weatronic.com/transm...&t=3&c=63&p=63 ? Any issues with region coding?
Thanks
========================
Edgar,
I sent you a PM.
Sid
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM
fireblade5437

Dutchy

Sorry yes 3 x 190mm, I was full of morphine when I wrote that. I am stuck in bed ATM but I will as soon as I can get to kitchen I will make your leads 100% that's where I have my illuminated magnified glass. Have never let anyone down before and not about to start now.... :-)

Insurance company for hotels and flights not going to be happy as they need to cough up £4.5k !

This is film of me tripping up just to show how easy it is to damage yourself, my right boot lace got caught in metal lace clips of left boot and down I went...
After watching video a few times I know what's happened now, as the leg went horizontal my boot stayed level so effectively bending foot 90deg to leg! That's why bones broke! :-(
http://youtu.be/hbUZYi8KMWs

Alan

Originally Posted by _Dutchy_
Hi there Alan,

No worries, you have a legit excuse.
What a bummer and especially when it messes up with your holiday plans!
Take care and get well soon.

But please make 3 leads as agreed

Nice trailer by the way!

Last edited by fireblade5437; 07-28-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 AM
HarryC

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I can replicate it on the ground. It occurs when the throttle passes slightly below the mid stick point. It doesn't happen all the time but, it does not take many attempts to get it to occur.

Yes, I thought it odd as well that it rears itself in different models with different sized engines and different acoustic conditions. It may be that the acoustics are not the cause of it. I do have a forth model with a Micro 12 gyro 3 in it that I have not noticed it on.

It is most definitely a "glitch" of the gyro though, as there is no issue when it is turned off and it happens using two different tx's.

Mike
That's it then. I'm sorry for you but kind of relieved that I'm not the only person it has happened to, as I have not seen anyone else report it and plenty other people have not had any problems with them. You have also managed to get it on several models so between the two of us we have multiple examples of the Wea gyros not being trustworthy.

MEMS gyros are not solid state, the clue is in the name, Micro Electro-Mechanical System. They are microscopic vibrating parts. Sound waves can knock the vibrating part and cause a false sense of rotation. Early MEMS gyros in consumer devices such as mobile phones were prone to it and gave lots of false readings so the manufacturers doubled the vibration frequency of the gyro to get it away from the typical sounds they would encounter. The problem is not unique to our model jets!

There are also different qualities of MEMS gyros or their firmware, cheap ones react wildly to being tapped but not rotated, high quality ones will not react to being tapped. Acoustic interference may be a part of that.

I am going to disable the Wea gyro in my Lightning and fit an ACT fuzzy pro instead, having experienced the violent un-commanded rolls on my Sabre I am not willing to risk any model to the Wea gyros. The worst was while already banked well over turning finals at modest height and it suddenly snapped almost inverted. The Lightning has not kicked yet but I can never trust its Wea gyros now and have a flight without it worrying me.

I sent the Sabre log files to Wea as at that stage I did not know the reason for the glitches, and it was Wea who spotted the link between the gyro roll sensing and throttle %, it was Wea who suggested to me that it was acoustic interference which I went on to prove.

Such a pity because it removes one of the advantages of the Wea system.

Last edited by HarryC; 07-28-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 AM
fireblade5437

Mike/Harry

Has this gyro problem happened with the larger Rx or Micro Rx or both?
Must admit I have never needed to use the gyro yet on the Micro 12's I have.

Alan
Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 AM
HarryC

Mine was on a 12-22
Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 AM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
Mike/Harry

Has this gyro problem happened with the larger Rx or Micro Rx or both?
Must admit I have never needed to use the gyro yet on the Micro 12's I have.

Alan
Alan, I have now had it happen with a Micro 12 gyro 3, a 12-22R gyro 3 and a 12-22R Gyro 2.

Harry, it may be that very few people are experimenting with the Weatronic gyro's in jets and that's why we are not hearing more of this phenomenon.

I completely understand your fear of getting the un-commanded violent roll at the most inopportune time. I have experienced it on climb out with my Hawk when reducing power to allow for a gear retraction. It certainly wakes you up!

I have stopped using the Wea gyro on both my Hawks because of it. Fortunately, they are not really needed on the Hawk and I was running them just for the "fun" factor.

Recently, I tried again with a 12-22R Gyro 2 in my big Skymaster F4 as it does like a gyro on aileron to fly smooth but, got the same results. I am now considering pulling the Wea system out of the Phantom and installing a powerbox SRS/ I Gyro combo. This will necessitate going back to JR/Spek RF though.

Regards,

Mike
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Olnico or others,

Thanks
Hello Edgar.
We are coming up with a specific Taranis kit.
It will be announce soon.
It is using the JR adapter.
Yu can order the adapter separately if you are in a hurry and do not want to wait for the package.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.