Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the slider as I see it.

The long quadrant goes all the way to the top of the casing plate. The 3 holes enable to screw a pin that provides the tactile feeddback. There are 3 separate positions for the pin, split by 8 degrees. The quadrant is 25 degrees wide.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
On flying target going at 300 mph, I can guarantee you that you'd immediately understand what range and resolution means.
Obviously, this is not the kind of jet that everybody flies on the week-end. However a Diamond fitted with a Behotec 220 is damn close to this. Same thing with an overpowered UL or UB...
Then comes the software programming capacity and features like web based control program. But this is another level still in progress.
I flew Weatronic for 3 years but, made a switch this summer to another system. I truly liked elements of the Wea system but, grew tired of the wait for the Bat. (not the only reason) One thing I did notice immediately when switching from Wea was a huge improvement in the resolution of the servo movement and a vast reduction in latency. I now have a much more connected feel to my jets.

I was never pleased with the servo movement with the Wea system. It was smooth using my JR12x in PPM (8channels), very choppy in PCM and in between both on my Futaba12FG. I think the conversion process from PPM or PCM signal is what increases the latency.

I hope all this is resolved for you fellows with the BAT.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 10-17-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

sorry but the 'gift from the heaven's' background is killing me!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:06 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli.

Thanks for your explanations regards the SCU and Bat 60 data logging.
I understand now that Carstens ASSI unit does the same function as the MUX box, or indeed the Xicoy telemetry adapter.
The new (proposed) Bat data logging system sounds interesting, and I would like to learn more.

For myself, I tend to agree with Harry at the moment. As the Bat 60 does not Currently have data logging, or voice, these are functions that I really like, and my DV4 does this exceptionally well. So i will probably stay with that equipment for now.

And Thomas, I truly hope that your optimism is well placed. If Wea can release these functions soon, ( and by soon i mean months not years) then I will likely order one.

Roger.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I flew Weatronic for 3 years but, made a switch this summer to another system. I truly liked elements of the Wea system but, grew tired of the wait for the Bat. (not the only reason) One thing I did notice immediately when switching from Wea was a huge improvement in the resolution of the servo movement and a vast reduction in latency. I now have a much more connected feel to my jets.

I was never pleased with the servo movement with the Wea system. It was smooth using my JR12x in PPM (8channels), very choppy in PCM and in between both on my Futaba12FG. I think the conversion process from PPM or PCM signal is what increases the latency.

I hope all this is resolved for you fellows with the BAT.

Mike
Well, I have been flying Weatronics since the very first, don't notice any latency, or servo roughness; use all varieties of their receivers, Tiny to 30 servo Gizmo, models from an electric Tomboy to big Hawks and BVM F4. Use 2 12Xs and a10x on S PCM. (10. on ppm) just bought another Micro 12 G 111 for my DG303. So, I thought I must be missing something. Today I Tried a couple of receivers and Txs, response is so fast I can't detect ANY latency, servo resolution is very precise, as good as I have seen and I have been flying proportional rc since 1966. This can be seen clearly when adjusting servo points on GigaControl, the servo responds to even one step in the 4096 points available. Servos used were an old 4131 and brand new 8411 HV.
So, your results Mike, seem very strange, very strange indeed. I have no experience of Futaba equipment.

Last week, a friend was flying my PST Reaction, he complained it was TOO responsive.

Anyway, my experience with a lot of this Weatronics equipment is that a 12x so equipped is a VERY capable radio control system, more than able to meet the demands of 99 % tof model jets, so don't fret about the BAT, it will come ! Until it is here and fully programmed I, for one, are more than happy to continue with my JR radios with Weatronics Transmitter modules and the incredibly capable receivers. Together they form a really superb system, let there be no doubt about it!

For those interested, JR 12x module type transmitters are still available from RC Japan at a very reasonable price.

As soon as the BAT 60 is working with Micro receivers, UK fliers will be able to get hands-on, flying experience on my PST Reaction.

David
Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 AM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Well, I have been flying Weatronics since the very first, don't notice any latency, or servo roughness; use all varieties of their receivers, Tiny to 30 servo Gizmo, models from an electric Tomboy to big Hawks and BVM F4. Use 2 12Xs and a10x on S PCM. (10. on ppm) just bought another Micro 12 G 111 for my DG303. So, I thought I must be missing something. Today I Tried a couple of receivers and Txs, response is so fast I can't detect ANY latency, servo resolution is very precise, as good as I have seen and I have been flying proportional rc since 1966. This can be seen clearly when adjusting servo points on GigaControl, the servo responds to even one step in the 4096 points available. Servos used were an old 4131 and brand new 8411 HV.
So, your results Mike, seem very strange, very strange indeed. I have no experience of Futaba equipment.

Last week, a friend was flying my PST Reaction, he complained it was TOO responsive.

Anyway, my experience with a lot of this Weatronics equipment is that a 12x so equipped is a VERY capable radio control system, more than able to meet the demands of 99 % tof model jets, so don't fret about the BAT, it will come ! Until it is here and fully programmed I, for one, are more than happy to continue with my JR radios with Weatronics Transmitter modules and the incredibly capable receivers. Together they form a really superb system, let there be no doubt about it!

For those interested, JR 12x module type transmitters are still available from RC Japan at a very reasonable price.

As soon as the BAT 60 is working with Micro receivers, UK fliers will be able to get hands-on, flying experience on my PST Reaction.

David
I not sure why your results are so different David. I did discuss this with Oli at the time I was using Wea and he did confirm the servo movement being quite choppy in JR spcm although he said, he didn't notice it while flying the aircraft. The severe limitation for me using the 12x in PPM was the 8 control channel limit.

As for the latency, it's not crucial that it's incredibly low for jet flying as movements are typically very small and slow, no huge deflections like an aerobatic ship but, you can actually "see" the difference in the speed of response when slamming the sticks around while on the ground or in the shop. This only stands to reason as the Wea system is using the tx's PPM or PCM signal and then converting it. It's got the latency of the 72mhz Tx host system. What made me clearly aware of this is that only my 4 turbine jets were running Weatronic, I continued to run my other 12x on Spek in my big aerobatic planes. The difference in servo response and speed between the two systems was very apparent.

Don't get me wrong, there were many things that I liked about the Wea system in particular, the fabulous data logging , these were two of the things I didn't like. In the end, there were more things that I didn't like than I did so, I ultimately made a change.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 10-18-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:21 AM
olnico

Functional test after the week end.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

I not sure why your results are so different David. I did discuss this with Oli at the time I was using Wea and he did confirm the servo movement being quite choppy in JR spcm although he said, he didn't notice it while flying the aircraft. The severe limitation for me using the 12x in PPM was the 8 control channel limit.

As for the latency, it's not crucial that it's incredibly low for jet flying as movements are typically very small and slow, no huge deflections like an aerobatic ship but, you can actually "see" the difference in the speed of response when slamming the sticks around while on the ground or in the shop. This only stands to reason as the Wea system is using the tx's PPM or PCM signal and then converting it. It's got the latency of the 72mhz Tx host system. What made me clearly aware of this is that only my 4 turbine jets were running Weatronic, I continued to run my other 12x on Spek in my big aerobatic planes. The difference in servo response and speed between the two systems was very apparent.

Don't get me wrong, there were many things that I liked about the Wea system in particular, the fabulous data logging , these were two of the things I didn't like. In the end, there were more things that I didn't like than I did so, I ultimately made a change.

Mike
After looking again at my servo travels again, all is excellent. SO wonder if your problem could have been the refresh interval set on your servo programming page.

The factory setting is 18ms, I have never changed that for JR servos and all has been well. Maybe, just maybe ??

David.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:25 AM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
After looking again at my servo travels again, all is excellent. SO wonder if your problem could have been the refresh interval set on your servo programming page.

The factory setting is 18ms, I have never changed that for JR servos and all has been well. Maybe, just maybe ??

David.
I don't think so David, as I played with different refresh rates and was never able to smooth out the choppiness. Do you use your 12x in Spcm with Wea?

Wea, themselves do not recommend using JR in spcm because of the choppiness of the servo movement. Not sure if you've noticed or not but, the servos will also overshoot their programmed endpoints when used in spcm. You have to move the sticks around fast to see this.They come back to where they should be but, a quick movement causes them to overshoot and then return to the proper end point. It results in what "appears" to be a very "sloppy" servo movement. It does not matter whether the endpoints are adjusted in the Tx or in Giga, they overshoot regardless.

Operating the JR 12x in PPM mode, the servos are smooth and perfectly accurate (as they should be), they do not overshoot pre-set endpoints but, the Tx has the dreadful limitation of 8 channels.

Believe me, I went through a lot to get this system working the way I wanted. In order to get more control channels, I bought a new Futaba 12FG ,I then sent it over to Germany (at a fair expense... almost $200 to ship it) for them to sort out the Weatronic Fasst adapter. They made firmware adjustments to the adapter and got it to work fine but, in terms of smoothness and speed, it's performance still did not compare to the native Futaba module/ receiver combo.

I don't know why they have had so many challenges with the adapters, the cheapo Chinese companies knock off Orange/ Lemon and "whatever" colour modules and receivers that seem to work. A quality company like Wea should be able to decode Futaba and JR and have the equipment work just as well as the native modules.

Anyway, all these module/adapter/ channel limitation issues should be solved with the BAT 60 so they will eventually be moot points. I would have waited for the BAT but, there were other things that the BAT wouldn't solve for me.

I was having issues with the Gyro's picking up acoustic turbine noise and thus glitching. I'm now running Cortex gyros and never a twitch. I was not fond of the need for the MUX box as a hub for sensors. I also expect development of compatibility with various turbine ECU's to be a long way off, if ever and this ability was very interesting to me.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 10-19-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I flew Weatronic for 3 years but, made a switch this summer to another system.
Mike , I'm having great results with the equipment i bought from you, so don't jinx it for me
I did keep my old DV4, so maybe it has to do with that.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:00 PM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Mike , I'm having great results with the equipment i bought from you, so don't jinx it for me
I did keep my old DV4, so maybe it has to do with that.
I'm glad Edgar, it was all pristine condition. I truly miss it but, some of the little quirks I mentioned pushed me away. The DV4 and DV4 BA were new, the latter being only about 3 months old.

Mike
Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Question for those of you such as Oli who have experience of using Wea on a model covered in flite-metal. Any problems I need to be aware of due to the metal causing blank spots, multi-path etc?

My English Electric Lightning (Mick Reeves kit) has been flying on and off for a couple of years but in an un-painted state. I have now completed it using Flite-metal and worry about blanking of the signal in certain angles especially from behind. I use a DV3 tx module. The model is fitted with a 12-22 gizmo Rx and 2 flat patch antennae. One antenna is in the blue spine on top, just behind the cockpit so it is just outside the flite-metal, and the other is opposite it on the bottom of the fuselage and where it is located I painted a square about 5 inches long with humbrol metal-cote aluminium, instead of applying the flite-metal, in the hope that the paint will be less reflective to the 2.4GHz signal. My worry is that from behind, slightly low, the top antenna is blanked by the fuselage and wings, and the bottom one is blanked by the flite-metalled bulge of the Lightning's ventral fuel tank and the model's real fuel tank which sits down in the bulge.

I will do thorough range testing before flying it, and keep the first flight short and close and review the data before continuing, but I just wonder is it your experience that I am worrying about nothing or does the flite-metal cause it real problems? Flite-metal's website says it is not a problem for 2.4GHz but it would say that wouldn't it?!

The finish had its public unveiling at a static show in England yesterday, see pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-26 08.55.11.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2042541   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-26 15.14.16.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2042544  

Last edited by HarryC; 10-27-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Flugsachen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=olnico;11901613]Functional test after the week end.

[/QUOTE

Hi Oli,

did You have carbon foil glued to the back of your transmitter, how did?

greeting from germany, Thomas
Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 AM
olnico

[QUOTE=Flugsachen;11907466]
Originally Posted by olnico
Functional test after the week end.

[/QUOTE

Hi Oli,

did You have carbon foil glued to the back of your transmitter, how did?

greeting from germany, Thomas
No. This is a compression molded carbon fiber casing. It is made from UHM fabric and Epoxy resin. The casing brackets are PYCABS 3D printed and glued into the carbon fiber laminate. This will be available as a distinctive finish option.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 AM
olnico

Here is a view of the modified lateral slider that reaches to the transmitter upper face. It has got 3 2-56 holes at the top. An alloy socket head screw can be positioned at the owner's convenience for an easier reach.

Last edited by olnico; 10-30-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Edgar Perez

All,
I posted this question in the Weatronics support forum, but got no bites. Hoping to have some feedback here :

Question on the voice warnings using the Mux box - pitot tube setup. If the max or min speed warning gets triggered so that I get the voice warning, will it reset itself? In other words, say I get a minimum speed warning and I increase my speed above the warning threshold, will the system arm itself and give me another warning if I reduce my speed again below the threshold?
Trying to figure out how to set it up so that I can benefit on the alarm during approach and landing.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
All,
I posted this question in the Weatronics support forum, but got no bites. Hoping to have some feedback here :

Question on the voice warnings using the Mux box - pitot tube setup. If the max or min speed warning gets triggered so that I get the voice warning, will it reset itself? In other words, say I get a minimum speed warning and I increase my speed above the warning threshold, will the system arm itself and give me another warning if I reduce my speed again below the threshold?
Trying to figure out how to set it up so that I can benefit on the alarm during approach and landing.

Thanks
Yes, Edgar. Absolutely. The warning stops as soon as the parameter is within normal range. It is then available again.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Edgar Perez

Found a video of the un-boxing of the BAT 60 http://vimeo.com/107348477
Old 11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that guy is happy.......
Old 11-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Flugsachen

Originally Posted by Woketman
I think that guy is happy.......

..... yes he is, greeting, thomas from germany
Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
zl1wn

My BAT60 arrived today and yes I am happy. The programming is very similar to my old Multiples Profi 4000, totally flexible.
But one question, I have a large 7m scale sailplane which had a small fuselage, so a 12-22 receiver wont fit.
I can set up a Main-sub receiver but where do i show which servo is on which receiver, So far I cannot find where to do this in Functions.
Advice please
Regards
Ross
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by zl1wn
My BAT60 arrived today and yes I am happy. The programming is very similar to my old Multiples Profi 4000, totally flexible.
But one question, I have a large 7m scale sailplane which had a small fuselage, so a 12-22 receiver wont fit.
I can set up a Main-sub receiver but where do i show which servo is on which receiver, So far I cannot find where to do this in Functions.
Advice please
Regards
Ross

Hello Ross.
I am glad you like the BAT 60.
It could be that this functionality is not implemented yet. There is a new firmware coming out in the next few days from now. I expect to see 95% of the features implemented with this new firmware.
In the meanwhile I will have a look at your question with my transmitter.
Cheers.
Oli.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 AM
zl1wn

Oli thanks,
Can I ask who you have been talking to, I spent a day at Weatronic with Ralf and the others about 4 weeks ago, and then flying with Stefan and Reinhard inTortosa.
There are a number of things we still need, such as the Gizmo, which is probably in that update and the wifi and bluetooth for the Skynavi. And knowing what is in the latest german manual, which is an update on the english version.
By the way please keep me in touch about your mods. They look to be extremely good and I will add them to my list of options.
If you want to send me an email my email is [email protected],nz.
Keep in touch
Regards
Ross
Old 11-19-2014, 12:37 AM
olnico

Oli thanks,
Can I ask who you have been talking to, I spent a day at Weatronic with Ralf and the others about 4 weeks ago, and then flying with Stefan and Reinhard inTortosa.
There are a number of things we still need, such as the Gizmo, which is probably in that update and the wifi and bluetooth for the Skynavi. And knowing what is in the latest german manual, which is an update on the english version.
By the way please keep me in touch about your mods. They look to be extremely good and I will add them to my list of options.
If you want to send me an email my email is [email protected],nz.
Keep in touch
Regards
Ross
For technical matters I liaise with Stefan and Anselm. Your questions have already been forwarded to them.
I do not have the list of the updated on the upcoming firmware yet.
Wifi and BT are on the top of the priority list.
I am in the process of making a specific USA manual for the BAT series for our professional customers.
I have your email already as we've been in touch several times in the past.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 AM
olnico

Advice please
Regards
Ross
The servos for the sub receivers get added to the servo list with a prefix number for the sub. So sub 1 has servos 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, ... and sub 2 to has servos 2-1, 2-2, 2-3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.