Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 11:34 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli,
I still don't get it. It works even with a DV3/Micro w/o GPS. The PC only comes into view when reading the data files. but then the time stamp has already been done, the PC doesn't know when the data files were written.
. So it must be something in the receiver or TX module or antenna.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:52 PM
tms-ger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Richard,

there is a real time clock (RTC) in the TX-Module DV3 or DV4* like you may know it from a PC. It is powered by a lithium cell (cr2032 when I remember right) which lasts for years, again compareable to a PC motherboard. The system time of the DV* is updated every time you connect it via USB to a PC and use Gigacontrol. The first setting takes usally place at production state.... So you will ever have a nearly accurate time stamp in the logs. You can see the update of the system time to the DV* when you take a look at the Gigacontrol events. (live data -> events)

It reads: "clock set, source: PC"

The DV* can be powerded through USB only, if you want. In this case, there are no source frames...

best regards

Thomas

Last edited by tms-ger; 09-06-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:24 AM
richbran

Thomas, vielen Dank!
Now it's clear.
I know people that fly WEA receivers as old fashioned receivers, never connect their system to a PC. So in time it will drift and once they need to have a look at the data files, anything could be there as date...

Btw, yesterday I cleaned up a few Micro SD cards stemming from either a DV4 or 12-22, I saw a few data files with a corrupt time stamp. Either nothing or the year 2999!!!! Now that is a bright future for our investment!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:21 AM
tms-ger

Gerne Richard :-)

I just hooked my spare DV4 to my PC that was not connected to a PC for about 4 month. I noticed a time difference of about 90 seconds...

best regards to NL

Thomas
Old 09-07-2015, 11:20 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richbran
I know people that fly WEA receivers as old fashioned receivers, never connect their system to a PC.
Well, that's a bad new for me. All that hard work on proper user manuals and operating procedures and some people don't use it!!!
Anyway more seriously speaking, one should open the Gigacontrol software on the receivers at least once in a while to configure the range alert, failsafe behavior and synchronize the clock properly...
Old 09-08-2015, 02:11 AM
richbran

Oli
Some people aren't that confident with computers, and some buy an expensive Xmtr but need someone else to install an aileron/rudder mixer.

Even more people never fly with differential, expo, other nice mixers like throttle/rudder, flap/elev, don't check their fail safe.. They have no clue why and how. Feel inconfident if they try to optimize a model.

I, and most likely more readers here, stem form an era where we had simple bare bones transmitters, we slowly grew up into the current technology with so much possibilities.
But if You are starting now and move too quickly to that flashy new stuff, just because You have the money, it will backfire.

A couple of months ago I read from a sad GA accident where the owner of a P51 got killed in a crash. It turned out he had taken up flying from scratch under a year before the accident!
So many high performance, complex a/c accidents worldwide, flown by owners that don't have the experience, skill and know how.

Now they are slowly opening up GA freedom in China. Lots of people with deep pockets that are waiting for a new toy (as the effect of an expensive car wears off) to impress their friends. Anyone who has been flying to China knows its dreadful visibility around those big cities. In all that will make a deadly mix.....

Whether be it full size or model flying, You need three things: Time, money and brains.
In my life I just met too many people that lacked one (at least...)

OK, OK, Luck You need too, but that is delivered randomly....
Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I need to upgrade a Micro 10 receiver to firmware version 2.63. I downloaded Micro version 2.63 from Weatronics site. I am running GigaControl 2.56 and don't find Gigaupdate there. I downloaded GigaControl 2.7 for Weatronic and installed it and GigaUpdate is a selection. Is it OK to use that to upgrade the Micro 10 receiver?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:47 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by sidgates
I need to upgrade a Micro 10 receiver to firmware version 2.63. I downloaded Micro version 2.63 from Weatronics site. I am running GigaControl 2.56 and don't find Gigaupdate there. I downloaded GigaControl 2.7 for Weatronic and installed it and GigaUpdate is a selection. Is it OK to use that to upgrade the Micro 10 receiver?
Yes. This GigaUpdate version should read 2.06.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:34 PM
richbran

plus be sure to follow EXACTLY the procedure like how to pre-select the required update file, when to press UPDATE and when to connect the power to the receiver. And IF You have used the receiver for adjusting (with Giga) anything like servo settings, make a backup of that file before, because after the update all will be gone and You can start all over again programming Yr model...
Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 AM
sidgates

Oli,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Richbran,
No programming has been done so OK there. Thanks for the cautions.
================================================== ================
Tried the update this morning and more problems. I followed Oli's procedure in his manual and when I click "update" I get this message.
"No Weatronics Dongle Found"

The dongle I have was purchased with my first receiver about 4 years ago from Gerhardt. I looked on Weatronic Web site and the dongle I found there does not look like mine. I suspect I may need a USB driver for this dongle but don't know where to look. I tried to load a picture of my dongle but upload failed.

Last edited by sidgates; 09-09-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM
sidgates

Tried picture upload again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatronic Dongle.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	949.9 KB
ID:	2118992  
Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by sidgates
Tried picture upload again.

Your dongle is OK.
Are you running on Windows 8?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 AM
sidgates

Originally Posted by olnico
Your dongle is OK.
Are you running on Windows 8?
================================================== =========
Oli,
I tried it both on my Win XP Pro desk top and this laptop computer with Win 7 Home Premium. Results were exactly the same.

Sid
Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 AM
richbran

You need to install a driver for that thing, You can download that from the Wea website and install it according the manual

Last edited by richbran; 09-09-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM
sidgates

Originally Posted by richbran
You need to install a driver for that thing, You can download that from the Wea website and install it according the manual
================================================== ================================================== =============
I went into device manger on my Win 7 computer and told it to trouble shoot the Weatronic USB, rebooted and back to device manager and it said the Weatronic USB device is working OK so I ran GigaUpdate and the install went without a hitch. Thanks guys for the help.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 AM
ville56

Hello!
What are your experiences of the use of slave/sub receiver with DV4 transmitter module? I use Weatronic in my Mpx Royal Pro 16. Talked to Weatronic today and they said that one should be "aware" to have important functions rudder when using my intended setup. I will double post this in the Weatonic Support Forum as well.

/Ville
Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 PM
chuckstarck
My Feedback: (1)

Oli, can you give me some insite in what's happened here.
Flying Edge 540, gas, at one point looked like some turbulance but later panned out to much worse.
Equipment is Smart Fly, two lipo battery system, Micro 10. Out of a humpty exit was "wow, I blew that one" then next thing I landed it on prop nut and drove the engine 4" into the asphalt with no control.

I've tried to send the nav file but can't figure out how

thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crash.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	648.9 KB
ID:	2147844  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM
roger.alli

Hi chuckstarck

I'll have a crack..

To post a nav file here you need to change the file extension to either PDF or JPG. (RUC only recognises these file types) Then, we can down load it and convert it back to *.nav

It looks like RX 1 was not getting any good frame packets for most of the flight.. They are all at zero on the screen shot.

AND …. RX1 RSSI (received signal strength) was also at -110 dbm (nil value) for most of the time.. This is the red line upper graph. It does jump up a few times, but it is mostly on the bottom line.

It would appear RX1 was not getting any signal at all, for most of the flight.. Shielding, or maybe a problem with the TX out put.. Although the Status 40 means that the “Transmitter is sending correct frames”

A graph showing the with the RX 1&2 Frames counts would be useful..

Oli may be able to add or help further..
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 AM
chuckstarck

here you go, log file.
I missed the full drop out of the one receiver. I thought it was dropping out and it's really "dropping IN" once in a while.
Also, look at 10 minutes, what's that all about?

have tried png, pdf and jpg, all say invalid file

Last edited by chuckstarck; 02-17-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM
chuckstarck

here you go, log file.
I missed the full drop out of the one receiver. I thought it was dropping out and it's really "dropping IN" once in a while.
Also, look at 10 minutes, what's that all about?

Okay, try it this way... http://www.chuckstarck.com/LOG_565.NAV

hopefully they wil
Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by chuckstarck
Oli, can you give me some insite in what's happened here.
Flying Edge 540, gas, at one point looked like some turbulance but later panned out to much worse.
Equipment is Smart Fly, two lipo battery system, Micro 10. Out of a humpty exit was "wow, I blew that one" then next thing I landed it on prop nut and drove the engine 4" into the asphalt with no control.

I've tried to send the nav file but can't figure out how

thank you in advance.
This graph is not much usefull.
You need to format your data properly first.
Please read here:
http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/r...iagnostic-tool

and come back to us with properly formatted data:
Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 AM
chuckstarck

I just posted a link to my web site where the log file is located. Just tried it with giga and it works fine.
I thought I followed your data setup, sorry if I missed something.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM
olnico

I just posted a link to my web site where the log file is located. Just tried it with giga and it works fine.
Well, you're missing the most essential bit of information here: Frames Rx1 and Frames Rx2.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 AM
olnico

OK, I looked at the data. Antenna 1 becomes totally non functional after 276 seconds ( at 4 min 36 seconds, or 1 min after takeoff ). Your DV4 is not setup properly because you should have received an alert for this and come back immediately for landing.
You probably have the coax of the antenna that is broken.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 AM
sidgates

I looked at Chuck's file and have the following observations and questions. I am not an expert just interested in learning more about analizing the data.

277 Seconds - Rx #1 fails but worked very short time like at 321secs.
648 Seconds - Rx Status changed from 8 to 136
874 Seconds - Rx data stops except servo position data for next 24 seconds.
898 Seconds - All data recording stops.

Questions:
Did Rx 2 fail at 874 seconds or 898 secs?
Chuck - I think you have Micro 10ch rx, were standard antennas being used?
Chuck - Was Fail safe set to work?

Looking for expert comments on above observations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.