Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 AM
zl1wn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oli, thanks yes you are quite correct, but cash to keep operating is the most important thing in a business and it appears that unfortunately
Weatronic are now having difficulties in this regard.
I have been a great supporter for Weatronic in the past, but I am starting to feel that other manufacturers, such as Jeti, have caught up and now passed Weatronic, with their wide range of receivers and add on items.
Ross
Old 03-10-2016, 05:10 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't know a great deal, BUT don't write off Weatronics any time soon. I believe and hope they will be back, better and stronger.

I have recently spent a great deal of time learning my BAT 60, the more I explore it the more impressed I become and the new manual helps enormously, the system DOES take some learning and change of culture, just as many of us in the airline industry had to adapt to the new technology of the FMS airliners in the 80s, now, of course, standard equipment.

It it would be one hell of a shame to waste the huge amount of effort and dedication by some very clever people, which has gone into this system, which I still believe is ahead of all others in many important respects, except stick smoothness which is not a patch on my JR. 28x, another exceptional radio.
..........But I am working on that and new moulded cams may be the answer!

Here's hoping it all works out.

David.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:58 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I don't know a great deal, BUT don't write off Weatronics any time soon. I believe and hope they will be back, better and stronger.

I have recently spent a great deal of time learning my BAT 60, the more I explore it the more impressed I become and the new manual helps enormously, the system DOES take some learning and change of culture, just as many of us in the airline industry had to adapt to the new technology of the FMS airliners in the 80s, now, of course, standard equipment.

It it would be one hell of a shame to waste the huge amount of effort and dedication by some very clever people, which has gone into this system, which I still believe is ahead of all others in many important respects, except stick smoothness which is not a patch on my JR. 28x, another exceptional radio.
..........But I am working on that and new moulded cams may be the answer!

Here's hoping it all works out.

David.
Friction in the stick is not due to the cams but to the uniball system.
Some of the ball get dirt during production process and grind a bit when new.
The way to get rid of it is to wash it off several times from both side with WD40 and wipe off the dirty fluid.
A high gloss polish can also be beneficial by putting a drop of chrome polishing fluid and a drop of WD40 together, then turn the stick several times , then wipe off/ dry off.
In any case, the uniball system must be kept dry/ free of grease. TEflon dry lubricant from Dupont is acceptable.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:33 AM
David Gladwin

Thanks for that Oli , will give it a try. I have certainly noticed things are getting a bit smoother with use.
David.

PS Tried it but without opening the case, so front of balls only. The result is MUCH smoother sticks !

Just need the gyro programme now !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 03-10-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:30 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I was doing a test run of my turbine engine and experienced a flame out just as I started to increase throttle from idle. Not finding any reason such as air bubbles I looked at the Wea log file and the log file shows receiver status changed to "200" at the time of shut down. I haven't figured out what the "200" status means. Anyone ?

I thought maybe I was swamping the receiver so this morning I turned on the transmitter approx. 10ft away from the receiver and walked up to the receiver (within 6 inches) and then looked at this log file. It reports receiver status of "136" at time of swamp and frames go to zero on both receivers. Based on this test I don't think I was swamping the Micro 10 receiver yesterday.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM
David Gladwin

Status numbers are cumulative, so 8 (HF connection uni or bidirectional ) plus 64 (battery low) plus 128 (rx on unidirectional ) equals 200 which suggests to me screening or swamping. (0r a low battery !)

136 means 8, HF connection, 128 Rx is on unidirectional mode. Total 136 !

These codes are on the Wea web site and are essential for all Wea users to know what is going in in their equipment !
Old 03-10-2016, 02:49 PM
roger.alli

Just need the gyro programme now !
Hi David,

Weas current business woes aside, this is the reason I have not updated to the Bat system.

The Bat 60 lack gyro functionality is incomprehensible.

What are we expected to do, spend E1700 on a new Bat 60, and then go out and purchase a Cortex Demon or Igyro. While all my current Wea receivers have gyros in built, which I paid good money for.

Gyros are now an integral part of any high end radio system. Weatronics have had plenty of time to address this on the Bat. .

Weatronic's approach to their market mystifies me.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 PM
richbran

SidGates,

I learn all the time, "swamping" was not in my (euro, non anglo native) vocabulary, but I get it.
I too had some problems with erratic jet engine behaviour, but indeed that was due to a too close proximity with my Xmtr to the receiver.
As the RPM fluctuated, I just saw the lights of my antenna flicker.
12-22 RX with one Patch and one pigtail antenna.
Just keep the Xmtr about one meter away from the receiver/antennae
Old 03-11-2016, 01:13 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Hi David,

Weas current business woes aside, this is the reason I have not updated to the Bat system.

What are we expected to do, spend E1700 on a new Bat 60, and then go out and purchase a Cortex Demon or Igyro. While all my current Wea receivers have gyros in built, which I paid good money for.

Gyros are now an integral part of any high end radio system. Weatronics have had plenty of time to address this on the Bat. .

Hi Roger,

I agree with you on that point, and it's why my BAT is not in any of my jets yet, they all have gyros and are working very well with my earlier Wea modular system with 12Xs

The new manual says the gyro programme is coming soon ! We'll see but it IS urgently required.

David.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Hi David,

Ok, give me one radio model that integrates gyro programming in the transmitter and has integrated gyros in the receiver.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:49 AM
olnico

In any case, I have been pushing as hard as I could for the last 3 years to get the gyro functionality released for the BAT series. In vain...
Old 03-11-2016, 06:23 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by richbran
SidGates,

I learn all the time, "swamping" was not in my (euro, non anglo native) vocabulary, but I get it.
I too had some problems with erratic jet engine behaviour, but indeed that was due to a too close proximity with my Xmtr to the receiver.
As the RPM fluctuated, I just saw the lights of my antenna flicker.
12-22 RX with one Patch and one pigtail antenna.
Just keep the Xmtr about one meter away from the receiver/antennae

================================================== ===================
David & Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I had the Tx at approx. 3ft away but may have been too close. Also I had built a new test stand and not thinking I had the Rx, the Data Terminal and ECU very close to the receiver. I will separate them today and retest.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:11 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
In any case, I have been pushing as hard as I could for the last 3 years to get the gyro functionality released for the BAT series. In vain...
Oli, you and David have done one hell of a job promoting this brand to the "English" world. If not for you, they would have never sold outside the European (primarily German) market. You sold me on it and I ran the module system for 3 years before the short comings out weighed the benefits and I switched to Jeti.

I suspect many have done the same and this is why Wea is in their current position. They have a very "unique" business model

Mike
Old 03-11-2016, 01:01 PM
David Gladwin

A very interesting comment because I never really found any shortcomings and HUGE advantages in the system which is why (almost) all, I have 28x, another superb radio, in one jet model, my entire fleet is configured with Weatronics. (everthing from a twin JetCat Mig 29 down to a T28 foamie and my grandson's electric Tomboy), I really do have the utmost confidence in the system, based on a huge amount of experience with it. As I have said many times before, my choice to use Weatronics is based purely on technical merit and its shear ability.

I am going to hang on in because if, when they add gyro function to the BAT it will be a truly awesome system, its already pretty damned good, but its culture takes time and patience to learn.

David.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I suspect many have done the same and this is why Wea is in their current position.
Mike
No, it's not. They are in the current situation because of the death of the owner.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:45 PM
luv2flyrc

A very interesting comment because I never really found any shortcomings and HUGE advantages in the system which is why (almost) all, I have 28x, another superb radio, in one jet model, my entire fleet is configured with Weatronics. (everthing from a twin JetCat Mig 29 down to a T28 foamie and my grandson's electric Tomboy), I really do have the utmost confidence in the system, based on a huge amount of experience with it. As I have said many times before, my choice to use Weatronics is based purely on technical merit and its shear ability.

I am going to hang on in because if, when they add gyro function to the BAT it will be a truly awesome system, its already pretty damned good, but its culture takes time and patience to learn.

David.
Generally excellent but, here are some of the short comings, off the top of my head:

*Refusal to "fix" the problematic patch cable from the module adapter to the DV-4 ( Required an aftermarket fix by one of the users here)

*8 control channel limitation when using my 12xMV because it had to be used in PPM mode. Use of it in PCM mode gives 10 channel operation but, very choppy servo movement. Problems with USA based Futaba equipment eliminated that brand as an option to combo with Wea.

*gyro's glitched in turbine jets, I'm not the only one to report this. Made the gyro's useless to me.

*Only one sensor at a time can be used unless you choose to add a MUX box hub. (costly and takes up more real-estate). I think this is a poor solution for the addition of sensors.

* no compatible turbine telemetry systems were available for Weatronic. All other major brands have them. Jeti allows total elimination of the GSU.

*The BAT 60 (which I was on a waiting list for) was delayed over 2 years. When it was finally released it was offered "half baked". It still isn't capable of fully replacing the module system ie. no gyro support. and it might never be now.

*RF logs are filled with "bogus, fill numbers" that are plugged in when RF drops out. Makes it challenging to get accurate info from the logs if a problem arrises. If they would read as "0" or blank, it would be more clear.

*Communication with the company was always horrendous.

Those things were enough for me to move away, particularly because Jeti offered some of the things that i did like about the Wea system. specifically Redundant RFand data logging. They have moved forward at a blinding pace while Wea has crawled.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-12-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
JamesKNMA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
Ok, give me one radio model that integrates gyro programming in the transmitter and has integrated gyros in the receiver.
Mikado Vbar Control with Neo flight controller (rx)

It's actually quite well thought out. I use one on 3d helis and wouldn't change for that. I haven't tried it on fixed wings. Although the reports from users are good, I have everything fixed wing dialed in on my 18Mz. Having said that, I'm seriously considering a BAT60, primarily for the telemetry options, but also because it looks like they are nailing the programming interface.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by JamesKNMA
Mikado Vbar Control with Neo flight controller (rx)

It's actually quite well thought out. I use one on 3d helis and wouldn't change for that. I haven't tried it on fixed wings. Although the reports from users are good, I have everything fixed wing dialed in on my 18Mz. Having said that, I'm seriously considering a BAT60, primarily for the telemetry options, but also because it looks like they are nailing the programming interface.
Oh, interesting.
This is a recent product running on Open Tx that I had not seen mostly because it is a heli radio.
I had a quick look at the plane version, it seems limited in functionalities and with an extremely intricate programming.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Remco45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powerbox Systems Germany takes over Weatronic.

Breaking News from the MODELLTECH fair in Sinsheim: PowerBox Systems takes over Weatronic!
As from this morning, normal operations and business continues: availability and Service is now guaranteed for the future.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:41 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Remco45

Breaking News from the MODELLTECH fair in Sinsheim: PowerBox Systems takes over Weatronic!
As from this morning, normal operations and business continues: availability and Service is now guaranteed for the future.
Wow that's great news for Weatronic staff and customers.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 AM
richbran

Good news indeed, Emmerich Deutsch has made Powerbox a solid player in the model flying field, hopefully he can turn the WEA product into one that also generates a profit, because without that nothing survives.
Orders are still being processed, however slow, but I got my order yesterday.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:03 AM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by Remco45

That is fantastic news! Powerbox is such an innovative company with great customer service!

Mike
Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 AM
ville56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very very nice to hear. Really had no doubts that it would work out, but it would go this fast is surprising but nevertheless very good for all parties.

/Ville
Old 03-18-2016, 05:59 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by ville56
Very very nice to hear. Really had no doubts that it would work out, but it would go this fast is surprising but nevertheless very good for all parties.

/Ville
I am not surprised. The technical potential of the Weatronic system is tremendous. By far the best RF link on the market.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-...o-systems.html

Big players in the industry know that and it shows!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:49 AM
David Gladwin

PowerBox plus Weatronic, a perfect match, top class German electronic engineering and all managed in Germany. Add to this Emerich Deutche's proven marketing expertise and customer service, this has to be a world leading combination.
Congratulations all round.

David Gladwin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.