Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic 2.4 RF diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1

Alan

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
PowerBox plus Weatronic, a perfect match, top class German electronic engineering and all managed in Germany. Add to this Emerich Deutche's proven marketing expertise and customer service, this has to be a world leading combination.
Congratulations all round.

David Gladwin
Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 AM
fireblade5437

Originally Posted by olnico
I am not surprised. The technical potential of the Weatronic system is tremendous. By far the best RF link on the market.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-...o-systems.html

Big players in the industry know that and it shows!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 AM
fireblade5437

Now a certain person that sells certain German products can stop bashing Weatronic!!

Alan

Last edited by fireblade5437; 03-18-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Lance Campbell

Good news about the merger... glad to hear it.

Lance
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello
Anyone know if the Mux-Board works for the BAT 60? I see it in the menu, but could get the connection to work.
Want to monitor LIPO voltage, using a SM Modelbau sensor (http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/prod...id=49&cPath=11). I was doing it with the DV4 and Mux-Box.

Doing airspeed with the DV4 as well, so hoping the Mux-box works.

BTW, if there is a better solution, I can use that info as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 AM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I have joined the fold, purchased a BAT and a nice group of receivers from fellow RGU member to join my extensive batch of module stuff. I will be finally putting Weatronic in the air. Just poking around on the BAT feels a lot like the old P4000 but Graphic User Interface on screen is much easier to flow through. Brace yourselves for the onslaught of questions I think I am going to go undefined all the way like I did on P4000 to allow max flex. I am excited about the future for Wea and hopfull no more bad turns.
Charles
Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM
richbran

Edgar
I am using two MuxBoxes in two tow planes, both are equipped with a Vario as well for altitude, which I consider superior to GPS altitude(too slow).
Both have a P1000 temp sensor glued to the cylinder head.
One is equipped with a pitot system. It took me about two years of poking WEA before that worked OK. Installing the latest software on the MuxBox rectified the snag (no zero-ing of the speed value on booting).
BUT I am still using a Futaba FX30/DV4(BT), so I cannot tell how it runs on BAT60/64.
I am currently on a GPS large scale glider meeting in Spain(Tortosa) where more or less historically the density of WEA transmitters is high. The GPS functions seems to work now OK, I see many using tablets etc for displaying the course.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Edgar Perez

Rich,
Thanks. I'm using the MuxBox and pitot as well with the DV4, but couldn't make it work with the BAT60.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Rich,
Thanks. I'm using the MuxBox and pitot as well with the DV4, but couldn't make it work with the BAT60.
Did you flash your Muxbox to the new firmware?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Edgar Perez

Yes, it's on V110. I don't think there is a BAT specific firmware for the Mux-bux.
I will try again, but it will be great if I can get confirmation it works.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:28 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, it's on V110. I don't think there is a BAT specific firmware for the Mux-bux.
I will try again, but it will be great if I can get confirmation it works.
Yes, it works perfectly well. Here is a customer of mine testing a MUX BOX on a radial engine with 3 temp sensors and one RPM sensor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNS-fGc59Bg
Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM
CRye

Anyone actually using the airspeed hold module?
Anyone use RX programming to control (air) gear doors and gear instead of add on controller? Looks like would occupy 4 servo outputs 2 for virtual timed switches and 2 for actual air controls.
How do you preserve old RX software version ie keep ability to convert back to module RX?
Thank you
Charles
Old 04-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Remco45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@CRye
As far as I know, the software of the receiver (i.e. Gizmo) has to be the same as the BAT's software version.

CAUTION: be advised that Weatronic has issued new software including a bug fix, see http://www.weatronic.com/en/index.ph...-bat-60-en.php

Gear and doors can be programmed via the built-in sequencer, or via self programming.
For my Hawk, which has the gear doors remaining open after extension, I've used the last post on this page: http://wea-lounge.de/board/index.php...Ausfahren-wie/
Note: you have to be a member to see the pictures and drawings.
It is amazing how versatile this system is for programming.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 AM
richbran

CRYe, although I don't use a BAT (yet), I have now over a year experience with the airspeed telemetry, mainly flying a heavy tug. Having airspeed greatly adds to more stable tows, as You often change direction and with a heavy beast in tow in windy conditions You can easily misjudge actual airspeed, caused by confusing ground speed based visual effects, the always present problem of model airplane pilots!
In Giga there is no feature to activate the pitot generated speed as a source for holding airspeed by throttle or elevator. Cannot see in the manual if the BATs have this.

With Giga I can only get a speed reading every 10 seconds, from that experience I cannot see how accurate/trustworthy the signal from the probe would be for using it as a command for important functions like throttle or elevator.
A well designed Auto Throttle System as used in airliners and the likes has lots of features like damping and uses programmed characteristics of engine and elevator response.

Another area to take care of is the location of the pitot tube, I have mounted mine 3-4 feet away from the fuse with the opening ahead and below the Leading edge. See pics. The whole unit is removable for easy transport of the wings in their normal wing bags.

I did however get a question once why I did not mount it to the fuselage.... (mind You, it's a prop driven plane, not a jet....)
I also opted to include the electronic little box with that removable unit, the other option was having to fiddle every time with those tiny tubes when installing it before a flight.

Yes, as the link provided by Remco45 suggests, gear/door sequencing can be programmed without a sequencer, that I already did about the same with Giga, and that one lacks even the feature that there is no way to program the 0-100% route different from 100-0%, like having a different speed.
Typically for an air driven gear system would need a reduced speed for the down function in order not to slam them down helped by gravity, compared to the UP function where You would like to have some more speed to get a positive lock up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1197.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2156057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2156058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2156059  
Old 04-05-2016, 05:35 AM
Edgar Perez

Originally Posted by richbran
With Giga I can only get a speed reading every 10 seconds
If your radio can use a mixer to toggle the signal used by the Muxboad to readout the airspeed, you can get faster reading than 10 seconds with the DV3/DV4.
I use Futaba with DV4 and programmed such mixer so that I end up getting a readout approximately every 4 seconds for a period of about 30-45 seconds by just pressing a switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhazCtQ5lQQ
Old 04-05-2016, 05:41 AM
chuckstarck
My Feedback: (1)

Default Here's Chuck again with that darn antenna thing

Sorry the thread flips around but I'm back on my box with this antenna thing! There's just got to be a fix

I started looking at other receiver brands that use the coax "remote" antenna function like the Micro's do. I found a bulge on one receiver at the exit so I stripped the outer cover and sure enough, that one had it too. Now it's become simple, if there is a bulge, you've got an impending problem. NOT REALLY, it deeper than that.
This morning I opened up my Micro 12. I had notice that there was a TINY difference in the outer coax cover right where it exited. Hardly a bulge at all. Then I noticed that if I flexed the antenna AT ALL, it bent right there before bending along the rest of it. Like a sharp kink, a weak point in the coax.
. One reader mentioned putting shrink tubing over the antenna, making the hole bigger. I think that's a beginning of a fix. I tried using silicon sealer so it had a rubber exit but this receiver is that one, it didn't work very long.
SO.... here are the pictures, I"m also including the one that I opened the shield on so you could see what's happening inside. Notice that the damage to the Micro 12 antenna is on the bottom. You don't notice it there.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5170.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2156071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5184.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	998.2 KB
ID:	2156072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5170 (Medium).JPG
Views:	388
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	2156073  
Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Edgar Perez

Voice Files:

I setting up a plane in my BAT 60 and noticed I could not get any voice prompts. Checked in the File Manager and the Voice folder is empty. I checked the latest update file (.tar.gz) and can see that it includes the voice files for English and German. I re-ran the update but the process did not write any file in the BAT 60 Voice folder. Am I supposed to copy the file myself? I must be missing something...
Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 AM
richbran

Bad news just came in today. The new owner of Weatronic announced today they made some tough business decisions of what to use and what not from the "old" Weatronic. See how they can integrate the wea technology into their company and which products can be used or changed to fit into their product range.
Alas, one decision was to stop all service to the "old" Weatronic products.......
Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Edgar Perez

Voice Files:

I setting up a plane in my BAT 60 and noticed I could not get any voice prompts. Checked in the File Manager and the Voice folder is empty. I checked the latest update file (.tar.gz) and can see that it includes the voice files for English and German. I re-ran the update but the process did not write any file in the BAT 60 Voice folder. Am I supposed to copy the file myself? I must be missing something...
Thanks
Never mind. Got it to work. I would think now that the voice folder is for custom prompts.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 PM
CRye

Rich
I hope someone with the technical skills will try to pick up the "old" stuff. I have a lot of it. By example there is a tech in AZ who can still service my old Profi 4000 but when he quits that may be it.
Please let us know what is declared old.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Jeti USA

Bad news just came in today. The new owner of Weatronic announced today they made some tough business decisions of what to use and what not from the "old" Weatronic. See how they can integrate the wea technology into their company and which products can be used or changed to fit into their product range.
Alas, one decision was to stop all service to the "old" Weatronic products.......
I cannot say it was not unexpected, new owner wants to do things his way. But it makes old stuff close to worthless, but still usable.

Zb
Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know what there considering old?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:53 AM
richbran

It was published yesterday, give the guys from Powerbox (the new owners) some time to figure it out. I guess they just don't want to inherit old guarantee cases.

(speculation mode on) It depends on what of the current technology they want to integrate in their product line. Let's say they will keep on the Micro receiver line as is, but just add a new sticker to it. Then at least Yr Micro receivers can be serviced if needed.
I don't think they will completely change all technology, and rendering all current products worthless, thereby loosing all present Weatronic customers. I already lost a few euros when they moved to 2.4 leaving me with a few 35Mhz 12-22's, I hope this will not be a re-run, I have about 20 WEA receivers, not the least are 6 12-22's...., three WEA converted FX30's, some MuxBoxes, a few vario's plus some other hardware. (spec mode off).

Anyways, the stuff is functioning well, no need to make hasty decisions, I can get on a few seasons like this. If only they would provide better cables for the module/antenna....
Old 04-14-2016, 01:09 AM
richbran

here's the official statement, just came in.

Wildau, 13.04.2016 – On 01.04.2016 PowerBox Systems GmbH, the German electronics manufacturer based at Donauwörth, took over the insolvent company of weatronic GmbH.
The media picked up the news, and many modellers now have high expectations of the take-over. One crucial factor in the company’s commitment to weatronic was the expansion of the existing range of products with a high-quality radio control system.

After the acquisition of weatronic GmbH, which took effect on 1.4.2016, PowerBox Systems sent a team of electronics experts and business managers to Berlin - Wildau with the aim of gaining a deeper insight into the company’s fundamental technical and commercial situation. After a comprehensive inspection of the inventory, and intensive discussions with weatronic staff members, the team reluctantly came to the conclusion that it would be impossible to continue production of weatronic products seamlessly until a thorough revision of all the company structures had been carried out.

For this reason PowerBox Systems is to carry out a review of the entire product range as swiftly as possible. Understandably it is not possible at present to state an exact date for a relaunch.

Servicing arrangements for weatronic products will now cease for organisational and liability reasons. Attempts are being made to find an external partner who will assume distribution of those genuine weatronic receivers and accessories currently in stock.
PowerBox Systems deeply regrets the necessity for this decision.

--
Best regards from Berlin / Mit besten Grüßen aus Berlin

Ralf Hartmann
Sales and Marketing Manager

Tel : +49 / (0)3375 / 24 60 892
Mobil : +49 / (0)1523 / 42 74 716
Fax : +49 / (0)3375 / 24 60 891
email : [email protected]
web : http://www.weatronic.com
Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 AM
richbran

I just found a reply from Powerbox to a question on their forum about the current situation:

Loosely translated:
Development and technology were always done externally, even the slightest bugfix or other update (there were already quite a few on the WEA planning) would cost 2-3 months of external working time. They also concluded there is need for an imminent redesign of the Battery- and Display Boards of the current transmitters.These costs are considered prohibitive by PB.

They state that the inventory was mostly sold off in the last weeks, to get that back up, they would have to invest a lot of money.

They remark, that we should not blame PB, they just bought what was left of Wea, (no one else wanted to buy) and now need time what they will and can use to integrate in their current business. The other option would have been a total shut down....

They do like to find some outside source who will be able to continue the service of current products, but my best guess is that there will be no guarantee service...

My personal comment: not nice to hear that there were hardware issues WEA never admitted, at least PB is honest about that one, and I can understand why they pull their hands off the existing product line.
It will gonna be an interesting year or two...

by Richard Deutsch » Thursday 14. April 2016, 09:12
Hallo,

da die bisherige Entwicklung und Technologie nicht bei Weatronic war, können wir nicht so einfach sagen wir führen das weiter. Alleine das Bugfixing und bereits noch von Weatronic geplante kleinste Änderungen würde 2-3 Monate Mannkosten erfordern, die wir momentan extern leisten müssten! Außerdem wären dringende Hardwareänderungen angestanden, z.B. redesign des Akku- und Display Boards. Deswegen sehe ich da wenig Chancen.

Zum Service und Verkauf: rein rechtlich hätten wir keine Ansprüche auf Gewährleistung auf Altgeräte leisten müssen, aber wie hätte das aussehen sollen: wir verkaufen die gleichen Produkte weiter und leisten keinen Service für Geräte vor dem 1.4.2016? Außerdem wurden in der Insolvenzzeit so gut wie alles abverkauft- der Insolvenzverwalter hat natürlich nichts mehr reingesteckt. Wir müssten jetzt für sehr viel Geld erstmal wieder einen Lagerbestand schaffen.

Ich kann verstehen dass viele Kunden deswegen verärgert sind, die sollten aber nicht die Schuld bei PowerBox suchen - wir können für die Situtation bei Weatronic nämlich gar nichts. Es waren noch andere Interessenten für Weatronic da, keiner von denen hatte Interesse daran Weatronic weiterzuführen. Somit wäre das System vom Markt komplett verschwunden, wir werden jetzt wenigstens zusehen dass wir das Beste draus machen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.