Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine or EDF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine or EDF

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Turbine or EDF

The new TP 40Cs are 6500 mah not 3250. And you cannot compare them to other TP batteries these are a whole different animal. After a flight they are hardly warm because the resistance is so low. The only people that say other batteries are almost as good are the people that have never used them. Expensive yes but worth it, hell yea. I hear people compare cheap stuff to TP but they are not comparing them to the new TP 40C packs.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

They are 3250 mah cells put in parallel to make a 6500 pack
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I will go with the 5212 system It's not that much more $ wise (at the price of the jet and edf ect.. what do $'s mean any way LOL).. I just got back from the Jet Rally at Hamburg.. Great bunch of guys and yesterday (fri) afternoon the weather was great.. Today it was pretty windy with at cool front moving through. There was some flying but when I left around 2ish the flights were sparse. I hope the winds calm down and the guys got to fly.

Now I've pretty much decided on the EDF set up.. next question is.. The Painted ARF F86 or the AFS F80? Both are COOL..
Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Bob_B

BobH
You want the 5612 which has a 140 amp controller, same motor, more power on the TP 12S packs

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/electric.html

It flies awesome!!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob:

I think that you already see that wether turbine or EDF, you won't go wrong either way in terms of "will it fly with enough power". I have flown both and spent quite a lot of money on big EDF electrics before entering turbines. If you ask me today, no matter how good electrics get, for big jet airframes or scale I would not go EDF, they just don't match, so as long as I have a turbine friendly field and turbines are available, that's what I would use. I no longer talk about cost because they are more or less even for the best EDF's and lower thrust range turbines. Don't get me wrong I believe that EDF's have a respectable place on the sport, but in my opinion, I see it more adequate to smaller sport models (the CARF Spark with the TJ100 is amazing). Bigger does not make sense in terms of power or bang for the (big)buck(s).

The point is that it all goes back to what you want, you want a scale model with minimum support equipment (still in debate) that will fly, or do you want the complete scale experience? Only you will know if you are satisfied or not, no one else.

To me, an EDF is still a prop, turbine has no electric equal...yet...
Old 10-10-2009, 08:50 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

EDF is neat, but turbines my friend... there is no comparison, go for them if you can.

Enrique
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM
BobH

One issue with turbines is that where I fly there is a 400 ft paved runway. I KNOW the EFD's will get in there because I've seen BV do it with his electra and his F86. Not sure a turbine can due to the way turbines operate.?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You can check the r/c turbine jet videos in Europe.. they fly in very short runways, and even sometimes they just use the taxiway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDbQ5...om=PL&index=93

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How long a runway you need is a function of your piloting skills and the airplane, not what is powering it. My club has a 380 ft. runway and we fly all kinds of turbines there. We can't fly most large scale (1/6 to 1/5) jets there, but just about any sport plane and medium sized scale jets are fine. The BVM 63" ws Saber or F-80 should be fine with either electric or turbine power.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 AM
BobH

Thank you for the responses. I'm still on the fence but I'll do some more deliberating this week (lol) while visiting the daughter. One other jet I love is the Panther. I have planes for Nick's plane and that's future build.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order for a large EDF to be anyway practical a set of batteries need to be less than £100 ($150).
The amount of money some are spending on high performance EDF setups would buy a turbine, I can't see the point unless you have a few extra sets of batteries so you are not waiting hour and a half for them to charge. Very few have more than two sets as they are so expensive.
How many guys with High powered EDF Jets have more than 5 flights in one day, lucky if its three. With a turbine you can have about ten flights for a fiver.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
DavidR

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

In order for a large EDF to be anyway practical a set of batteries need to be less than £100 ($150).
The amount of money some are spending on high performance EDF setups would buy a turbine, I can't see the point unless you have a few extra sets of batteries so you are not waiting hour and a half for them to charge. Very few have more than two sets as they are so expensive.
How many guys with High powered EDF Jets have more than 5 flights in one day, lucky if its three. With a turbine you can have about ten flights for a fiver.
Obviously you have not been around high powered EDF jets. I have three sets of batteries for my electra, and generally only fly two of the sets of packs. I get 6 minute flights with and still have capacity left, and charge times with three chargers are on the order of 30-40 minutes. I have done as many as 12-14 flights in one day. I bet you could not keep up if I was in the mood to fly and hammer out flights, even with a turbine.

That being said I still like to fly my turbines, just have another option. I tend to alternate between a turbine plane and my Electra. I like the simplicity of the EDF system, as well as the performance.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone has an opinion
But I fly my electric jets twice a week... I get ten flights in a day no problem (5 hours really)
I've flown turbines also and there's no way I'd fly a F-86 turbine off 400 feet
I belong to 3 clubs one is 400ft, 600ft and 1000 ft.

I don't like flying my Tams Jets A-4 EDF or Comp ARF Spark off the 400 ft.. Much less a turbine. For one as you’re a new jet pilot, turbines have a higher wing loading. My A-4 as a turbine is 19 pounds dry and up to 24 pounds wet. My EDF is 17 pounds and Tams got them down to 15.5 pounds. They land so nice and easy compared to the turbine and much slower landing. Turbines have residual trust as you know and don't slow down well. Another thing is a lot of guys on RCU aren’t up on the newest thing happing in EDF. With new fans like the Stu Max, Dyn-e-Max conversions and the DS-HST series fan you can now have a very close to scale turbine sound with EDF. I have a Stu Max in my comp ARF spark and it sounds amazing and the power is great! Is a turbine louder sure if that’s what you after?

If I were to buy a BVM F-86 I'd drop that EVF because they scream as loud as any fan on the market and sound like an EDF. With a small mod to the ducting you can install a Stu Max which is lighter than an EVF and draws less amps...thus you can drop cell weight. I'd fly that F-86 on 3600 watts...pick up 11s 35c 5000 mah Hyperion packs (two 4s one 3s) and a Stu Max with a CC 110HV. You will save over a 1/2 pound in fan weight and over a pound and half in battery weight. At 14 pounds ready to fly it lands like a ***** cat and have the great sound of the Stu Max... with a 5:00 to 6:00 flight time. Tam flew his red bull F-86 on 3200 watts (with cheap 25c packs) with a heavy kit built version (15 1/2 pounds) and it flew awesome!! So I already know how well it will fly on 3600 watts or less... I was there and watched it.
Here is the video of Tams: http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/F-86-...flight-video-w
I don't like the sound of his fan but this gives you an idea of a lighter setup on 3.2 KW with the new ARF and the Stu Max you would be even lighter and have more performance with great sound.
Here's a video of my spark with the Stu Max and in the video I'm running some dirt cheap packs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sRhYfqX9-0
There’s so much hype behind BVM and Thunder Power don't get sucked in... I have a stack of thunder power 30c and some 40c pro powers yes there great packs... but so are Hyperion G3 35c packs
The Zippy, Turnigy and Rhinos are also good and at the lower power levels needed with the lighter packs and fan they work great... With a heavy vio fan which is know to draw tons-o-amps you need some big old pack 6500 mah packs... in that poor little F-86... the vio fan will pull 120+ amps .. The Stu Max will pull 85 amps and 3600 watts.
Do some searches on you tube for Stu Max videos... Gordon has a 16.6 pound hawk that fly’s very nice on the Stu Max... but you will be only around 14 pounds.

There's a ton of different ways to get it done... this is just how I'd do it. Guys get all bent when others find a cheaper way to get it done just as good. With running 11s like me (two 4s + one 3s) you get two sets...for like $450 bucks... then I bring three chargers set at 2c they charge in 30 minutes. Rotate all day... I also bring one 70mm jet and two packs for it and can fly until my eyes are crossed if I wanted too
I fly with a bunch of turbine guys and they tinker all day long and get maybe 3 flights and leave... not to mention my bud is also having a hard time finding Kero... ordering turbine oil...
My friend complains all the time that Kero cost $40 bucks for 5 gallons then add $14 for turbine oil your at $55 bucks for five gallons
He burns a gallon every flight... That’s $11 a flight... but somehow turbine guys always complain how much are packs cost
I love all jets ! I just hate when guys start putting down EDF… mark my words it will be the future of all jets and the performance and flight times will only get better, lighter. Plus it’s really cool when people say that’s electric!!
EDF is not for everyone and can't fly the huge stuff as well as turbines ... but in the right airframes the performance is right up there with the turbines and is only getting better
You just have to plan careful and do your research like your doing... the BVM F-86 is a perfect EDF airframe very clean and light

Ron
Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: DavidR

I get 6 minute flights with and still have capacity left, and charge times with three chargers are on the order of 30-40 minutes.

If they can be charged that fast, you must be charging at 2c not many lipo's last long at those rates, what sort of batteries/cells/capacity/C rating are you using ? obviously at the top end of the scale and price. Would they last 50 flights ?
I know from the 3D heli guys they would be lucky to make 30 flights at £250 a go, before the performance/capacity starts dropping off. Its only really the sponsored guys would use them on a regular basis.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: BobH

One issue with turbines is that where I fly there is a 400 ft paved runway. I KNOW the EFD's will get in there because I've seen BV do it with his electra and his F86. Not sure a turbine can due to the way turbines operate.?
There should be no difference in landing performance of an EDF ICDF or a turbine, you do have an idle thrust with a turbine and ICDF but it will be down to the model design more so than the powerplant, unless you are talking about the smaller EDF's.

A large XL Boomerang with a P120 will operate out of 200ft a F104 with the same turbine certainly would'nt.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 AM
stumax

If they can be charged that fast, you must be charging at 2c not many lipo's last long at those rates, what sort of batteries/cells/capacity/C rating are you using ? obviously at the top end of the scale and price. Would they last 50 flights ?
I know from the 3D heli guys they would be lucky to make 30 flights at £250 a go, before the performance/capacity starts dropping off. Its only really the sponsored guys would use them on a regular basis.
The latest cells from Hyperion and Neumotors can be charged at 5C without any detriment in performance or life, as long as they are cool enough to begin charging. On the other forum in the batteries section there's a long thread on the Hyperion G3 cells where they are being fast charged for several hundred cycles and hold up very well. The biggest issue is finding a charger which can put out enough power to do that, unless you split your packs up and use a few chargers.

As for landing EDF vs turbines, that's a no brainer - an EDF will always land slower and easier as you have down to zero thrust if you so desire, not so with a turbine. I've seen turbine models with so much residual thrust they struggle to even land at all, simply because they've put too large a turbine in the model. An EDF also has instant thrust when you need it. I'm not saying turbines are bad, but people who haven't flown big EDF models shouldn't say they are bad until they try. I think EDF makes sense for models up to the size of these models, ie the smaller F86 and P80 with 3.5-5kW power, above that I think it gets less practical to go electric and turbine power will end up cheaper to begin with. I've seen some very big EDF conversions and they looked pretty lame to me, as the model increases in size by, say 10%, its volume has increased by 33%, so that's about how much more power you're going to need, it's not a linear relationship. Small EDF models around 1-2kgAUW will be ballistic with 200W/lb, but an 8kg EDF model will need closer to 300W/lb for ballistic performance.

BTW, thanks for the plug, Ron!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Xairflyer

Wow 5c very impressive cost has to be big though also the battery needed for the charger lot of amps!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Bob_B

We are fortunate to have 110AC to power our 12V power supplies.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 AM
DavidR

ORIGINAL: DavidR

I get 6 minute flights with and still have capacity left, and charge times with three chargers are on the order of 30-40 minutes.

The latest TP 40 C packs, I charge at 1C and use anywhere from 4200 to 4800 ma per flight. Never takes over 40 minutes. Most of my packs have anywhere from 100-150 flights on them. Yes they are expensive but amortized over the lifetime of the packs so far I have been please with the cost/return.

I have been flying jets for 12+ years, turbines most of that time. I like high performance models and so far I have been very pleased with my EDF stuff. I also have a 12V DC power supply that I plug in to 120V on eiher my motor home or carry a small generator with me.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Ron101

BTW, thanks for the plug, Ron!
You know how much I love your fan Stu! I'm an independent guy and I only tell people to buy something if I really like it... you are leaps and bonds above the rest when it comes to a efficent, quite, powerful fan.. the rest are just trying to play catch up.

here's another great video of your fan in action in a 16 pound hawk... think how nice a scale sounding it would be in the F-86

http://www.youtube.com/user/romiti101#p/f/3/nHuW71UN4_A

Ron
Old 10-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Bob_B

You da man Ron!!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: BobH

Thank you for the responses. I'm still on the fence but I'll do some more deliberating this week (lol) while visiting the daughter. One other jet I love is the Panther. I have planes for Nick's plane and that's future build.
Hi Bob,

At the end of the month when I get to the East Coast, let's get together and discuss EDFs. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have and help in any way I can. One of the positive things about using a BVM fan in a BVM airframe is it will work and it will work very well because all of the R&D has been done and you will not have to modify anything. You will have success. I think what most EDF fliers forget is that the first time EDF flier doesn't want to have to modify things to make it work. That should be left to the manufactures and experimenters. I'm not saying there aren't other fans out there that are as good as an EVF but in order to use any of them, you will need to do modifications. Just take a look at how many awards EVF powered planes have won at jet events.

THe EVF not only works in the BVM airframes but it also works in other manufacture airframes as well. Here's a video of my Yellow Aircraft Starfire with an EVF doing over 200mph (just listen to the comments from the turbine pilots): [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4UHSBYJYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4UHSBYJYc[/link]

I have plans for a 1/6th scale Cougar (same size as the Ziroli Panther). We should compare them.

Kirk
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Ron101

Bob's been modeling for yearss and build some awesome warbirds making up a 6 inch adaptor for the Stu Max would be cake
I think the Vio Fan is 118MM ... pretty sure the front of my Stu Max is 115mm and 110mm in the year

Stu made a nice step by step instruction for an easy adaptor.. yours would be short like 6"
Link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124388

plus chicks dig 12 blades
I know Bob likes scale stuff so he'll have to check the Stu Max out real well ... and it's only $750

PM me with any questions you have Bob... Stu as always been super helpful with me, So I'm sure he's help out if you PM him too
Just giving you some options... There a bunch of fans and packs that will fly it great!!
Where all just trying to help

Ron
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM
BobH

Ron thank you for all your help .. Kirk I look forward to meeting with you to discuss jets! EDF and Turbine! I just got back from 3 days in Va Beach where my daughter attends college (ODU in Norfolk). The F18's were out flying every day all day. I LOVE the sound and thunder of the jet engine.. No mistake about it.. I also think for my application, this time, EDF will be fine. Maybe not the optimal but is there even an Optimal? I've long ago learned that there's a trade off for every feature.

FYI Ron my buddy offered to let me use his Stumax fan.. In stead I told him to sell it and get the $ for it. I didn't know if I was going to use it or not so I didn't him not to get paid for it while I deliberated..
Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

To set the record straight (since someone reporting things here was thrown out of the event so they could not not have possiblty witnessed it first hand), after flying for 3:46 I had a cell go open circuit on one of the three x 5S packs (15S total) at E-jets. All other cells were 3.6v per cell, which means there was still plenty of energy to go around a few times before needing to land. We had absolutely no (zero, zilch, nada, none) cooling inside the aircraft for the batteries or speed controller, and we are sure that this was the reason behind the failure as the controller reported a temperature of 91C right before the power was lost. I didn't want to cut naca ducts in my pretty plane, something that I now kind of regret (even though I didn't like the flying characteristics of that plane) as it would have been a neat conversation piece for being the fastest plane at E-Jets at 199MPH. Yes, there are a LOT of well known pilots using our batteries, including people like Stu(max), Tam(Jets), Pablo(Sapac), etc. Where ever we go, we see our batteries in EDFs.

We are now making JetPacks(tm) which are 6800mAh (3400mAh 2P) for the BVM and other jets. We will also now be offering our latest battery technology, giving you 44C/70C batteries (for just a few dollars more than our current 30C/50C batteries). Since batteries, fan systems, and associated components is not our actual "business" (we manufacture radio systems), these are items that we do not need to make money with, so we offer everything at basically our cost. We know that this creates sales for our radio business by bringing more and more attention to our company. It also lets us get these products at cost, because we are all pilots here that like to have as much fun as the rest of you.

The modeling community has been getting hosed for years on technology, and fortuantely we don't have to fall in with the rest of the crowd, so we can provide better technology at a huge savings. Compare our fan system with any other. We have the only system that can run 10S-18S, providing the most thrust and efflux, and 1/2 the cost of the competitor. Our fan systems have flown everyting from 14 pound aircraft to 41 pounds Byron aircraft, and is currently flying a 54 pound Flyeagle F-14 (at 300 watts per pound).

Yes, we also like turbines! We are the U.S. distributor for Graupner's G-booster turbines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.