Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gear cycles when radio turned on

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Gear cycles when radio turned on

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear cycles when radio turned on

I just installed new 12x radio in my King Cat and when I turn the radio on at first, the servos cycle and my gear retracts and then drops. It only happens at first, then I can turn the radio on and off and it wont cycle again. Its a pain to have to lift the plane every time i am going to turn on the radio not knowing if the gear servo will cycle. Any guesses? Thanks, Alex.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Gear cycles when radio turned on

Rebind your system with the gear servo in the down position, it shouldn't be doing that. Mine did the same thing, until I did the bind again.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Alex,

Also make sure you do not have an analog servo operating the gear valve. If so...it will do that every time. Drop in a digital and it will go away.

Beave

Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Alex:

Both LGM and Bevar are correct. Been there and done that. Bill Hatcher looking over my shoulder with a grin on his face. . ."Hey Eric. . .let's rebind with all the switches where you want them" and see if it goes away. He is so kind . . .

Cheers,
Eric
Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just an FYI, if you run a TamJet failsafe on the gear do the bind with the gear switch in the UP position. it'll work with any servo.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I think if you rebind the set up, it won't matter which type of servo is operating your retract valves. i could be wrong but that's my experience with a pair of hitec mini MG on my current project.

ORIGINAL: bevar
Alex,
Also make sure you do not have an analog servo operating the gear valve. If so...it will do that every time. Drop in a digital and it will go away.
Beave
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Went home for lunch and rebinded. Problem solved! Yes!!! So easy, thanks Y'All. Spoke with Bill Hatcher, prawley best to change servo to digital also. He also taught me how to bind in fail safe settings too. Coolisimoooo!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

just be sure when using digitals to use an amp meter to make sure its not binding at either end of the throw

ORIGINAL: vetagator

Went home for lunch and rebinded. Problem solved! Yes!!! So easy, thanks Y'All. Spoke with Bill Hatcher, prawley best to change servo to digital also. He also taught me how to bind in fail safe settings too. Coolisimoooo!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Dangaras

I have a new B-25 & the same cycle issue is happening, even after Idid a rebind with the gear in the down position. How do you do the failsafe settings binding with a DX7 & AR6110?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Has Fly Eagle fixed their multi valve yet to prevent loss of air pressure on shutdown? Still using manual valve.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Dangaras

I have a new B-25 & the same cycle issue is happening, even after I did a rebind with the gear in the down position.
are you using a fail safe unit (such as Tams) on the air pressure? if so you have to rebind with gear in the UP position.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

another thing I found is make sure you turn radio off with gear down. If you raise gear then disassemble jet for transportation they will cycle when you reassemble.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

another thing I found is make sure you turn radio off with gear down. If you raise gear then disassemble jet for transportation they will cycle when you reassemble.

that would be another good reason to get the Tam fail safe unit, i always pull my gear up before taking it apart to transport, then after assembly i manually move the valve to put the gear down (even cycle it a couple times by hand to make sure of no leaks), then sit it on the ground and it never cycles the gear when i power the plane on.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting discussion.

KC .. what's the logic of binding the Tam failsafe with gear up? I think I may be missing something. I fly "F" not "J" but failsafe works similarly even if set differently... I've always set failsafe for gear down, even with the Tam unit (which I agree is really nice).

Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, when setting up a new airplane with JR, rebind, rebind, rebind every time you make a change in the settings, so when you are finally finished and turn on the TX, their is no movement on the servos. ( thats with JR, not familiar with others)
Rcpete
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Interesting discussion.

KC .. what's the logic of binding the Tam failsafe with gear up? I think I may be missing something. I fly ''F'' not ''J'' but failsafe works similarly even if set differently... I've always set failsafe for gear down, even with the Tam unit (which I agree is really nice).

Dave

Dave

the Tam unit has programming so that if it's powered ON with the gear in any position other then gear down (and it must remain there for a few seconds) it will put the gear in the down position and keep it there (this is it's fail safe condition) until it receives the proper gear down signal from the RX for those few seconds. now for the why bind with gear up:

if you bind it with gear down, and you have the gear switch on the TX in the UP position, the Tam unit will see the gear down signal from the RX when it's initializing (this is how you bind and told it to do) and then when it locks and gives the TX control it will see that gear up (you're switch in the wrong position) and the gear will pull up. it is something that I've never done myself but I've seen it happen to people many times, they have their fuel / air tanks full and ready to start a flight, turn everything on and the gear switch is somehow in the UP position and up comes the gear when the RX is turned on []
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Hi KC

I have the Tam failsafe and it has never happened to me.

Anyway, I always turn my radio on with my F-16 intalled on the PVC support, and if the gear is up, usually for transportation, when I turn the radio on, no matter in which position is the gear switch on the transmitter, the gear comes down or even keeps down if it is in the down position when transmitter is turned on....

I love this TAM device....If you lose air during a flight, at a preset air pressure, the gear comes down....Just set the pressure above certain value to be sure the nose gear will lock againts tha air stream.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoa .. that's great info.

Thanks, KC, I'll have to rethink my failsafe + reset .. thanks.

With scale jets and all the doors, one "oops" is a lot of work to fix :-(
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

Hi KC

I have the Tam failsafe and it has never happened to me.
That was my point, if properly setup it will prevent a gear UP on power on even if the gear switch is in the UP position.