Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

If i were to...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

If i were to...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Gripenflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If i were to...

Hi all,

...If i were to take say two weeks vaction, for a selfdrive around the US...and to one of the best jet events. Which one would it be?

This is of course all up in the air at the moment.. but really keen to do this next year.

Any ideas would be great!

thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: If i were to...

ORIGINAL: Gripenflyer

Hi all,

...If i were to take say two weeks vaction, for a selfdrive around the US...and to one of the best jet events. Which one would it be?

This is of course all up in the air at the moment.. but really keen to do this next year.

Any ideas would be great!

thanks!
There are a lot of good jet events around through the summer months, so I guess it would depend on what month you plan on traveling. Two weeks is not a lot of time if you plan on spending most of it traveling around the country, but if you were here in the US at the first of July 2010....Jets Over Kentucky would be a must attend event.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say California Jets : http://www.ca-jets.com/

From there you are just a few hours from Yosemite National Park or you could head to the coast go to hearst castle....
drive the coast to Monterey (Stop for a tour at Tam Jets, Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive, Santa Cruz) and San Francisco up to the Napa Valley(wine country).... or go South to Los Angeles (universal studios, disney land. hollywood)
The nice part is all these sites are just a days drive apart

Lots to see in this great state
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Mississippi Afterburner is always a great time. plenty of flying, food and camaradarie
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Jets over Kentucky. A week of flying and good times!

Beave

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

I gotta agree with Ron101,been to many jet rallies around the great United States and you wont be disappointed with a trip to California Jets . California is one beautiful state with a LOT to do and the Second Best jet rally in the states(Sun Valley Flyers in Arizona)being the BEST) .
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I've been wanting to try one of those Middle America Jet rallies. Big open spaces, lotsa room to just haul arse....

Maybe I'm spoiled 'cause I live in the Bay Area.

But I have to agree with Ronnie, even though California Jets is kinda out of the way of the big scenery (a few hours north of LA and a few hours south of SF) spend a day or two out at Bakersfield coming either up or down from LA or SF, respectively and you won't be dissapointed.

Raf
Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Gripenflyer

Thank you for all the ideas!

I think Cali jets it will be! Will keep a look out for the dates and make a plan. I have family in SF so that will be a good base to work from...What are the chances of me getting to fly if i bring one of my jets? As i live in Singapore the cost of bringing one might make it not possible...[]

Thanks again and hope to meet some of you next year!

Rgds
GF
Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GF,
The dates for fifth annual California Jets is March 25-28, 2010.
The chance of you flying one of your jets are as good as you want it to be.
You'll be in good company.
[link=http://www.ca-jets.com]www.ca-jets.com[/link]

Paul
Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Gripenflyer,

If I were to.....

show up in Singapore, is there any flying going on?

I've heard turbines got banned due to some mishap.

I'll be in Singapore from the 11th to the 19th on business so likely on Sunday teh 15th I'll be looking for something to do.

PaulD
Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 AM
gooseF22

If you want to do a midwest thing. then do the DOGS meet on labor day, and then Route 66 Jets the next weekend, and then Ejets the next weekend after that if Terry and Roger get that worked out next year, which I am hearing they will.. three events in16 days..OH YA!!

Pitch for DOGS!! the new paved 7000 foot runway is under way. This will be the site of the 2011 Jet world masters. the runway is 2/3 completed already!!! SMoooooooTH... See yall at DOGS next labor day.. but make sure you head west to ST Louis after for Route 66.. Those were my two favorite events this last year...
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I vote for Greater Southwest Jet Rally in Waco Texas.

1. Southern comfort and hospitality (in and out of the event)
2. Tex-mex food ('nuff said)
3. You are one hour from DFW. There is more to do in DFW than in the rest of the USA put together. No beach though (had there been one we 'd move the capital from Austin to Arlington).
4. You will see a very diverse crowd of jet pilots and models
5. We will soon have a B-1B with 4x P200's. If that is not insane by itself, try the Ghost Pepper Beef Jerky they make here.
6. You can drive 1 hour towards Crawford Ranch and say hi to Geroge "W" mowing the lawn (or whatever you wish to say to him)
7. Cavannaugh Air Museum in Addison. You will not see a finer collection of Warbirds in the US. Been at both Weeks in FL and Cavannaugh......my vote for Cavannaugh.
8. If you like spotting, drive to old Carswell AFB in Fort Worth.......cool place to spot. Home of the F-35 and the new breed of F-16's. (it's all about the jets right!)
9. We got Texas beef in most good restaurants (not Angus, but the kind you have to kill)
10. DFW airpost has Singapore Airlines Cargo......so you can easily ship your jets directly
11. California is way overrated. The water in the beach is cold, in LA you get killed if you make the wrong turn near Compton, Seals barking don't let you sleep at night, a beer can cost you $15 if you stop at the wrong (actually the right!!) bar.

All kidding aside, GSW is a really nice event. But It is sure hard to compete with the ammenities of Cali and Central Florida.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Thats My Boyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee

couldn't have said it better amigo. although Mississippi and GSWJR have been my favorite events for a long time.

additionally, if you want to see some really beautiful big cats, outside of the zoo, drive 24 miles NW of FW and visit the

http://www.bigcat.org/

some really nice people doing an amazing job taking care of some stunning animals. the stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me, especially when it comes to animal abuse.

go visit the sunshine state amigo and hang with the Calli boys but remember to bring an extra liver, a hankerin' for great Carne Asada and a passion for flying WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!!!!

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I vote for Greater Southwest Jet Rally in Waco Texas.

1. Southern comfort and hospitality (in and out of the event)
2. Tex-mex food ('nuff said)
3. You are one hour from DFW. There is more to do in DFW than in the rest of the USA put together. No beach though (had there been one we 'd move the capital from Austin to Arlington).
4. You will see a very diverse crowd of jet pilots and models
5. We will soon have a B-1B with 4x P200's. If that is not insane by itself, try the Ghost Pepper Beef Jerky they make here.
6. You can drive 1 hour towards Crawford Ranch and say hi to Geroge ''W'' mowing the lawn (or whatever you wish to say to him)
7. Cavannaugh Air Museum in Addison. You will not see a finer collection of Warbirds in the US. Been at both Weeks in FL and Cavannaugh......my vote for Cavannaugh.
8. If you like spotting, drive to old Carswell AFB in Fort Worth.......cool place to spot. Home of the F-35 and the new breed of F-16's. (it's all about the jets right!)
9. We got Texas beef in most good restaurants (not Angus, but the kind you have to kill)
10. DFW airpost has Singapore Airlines Cargo......so you can easily ship your jets directly
11. California is way overrated. The water in the beach is cold, in LA you get killed if you make the wrong turn near Compton, Seals barking don't let you sleep at night, a beer can cost you $15 if you stop at the wrong (actually the right!!) bar.

All kidding aside, GSW is a really nice event. But It is sure hard to compete with the ammenities of Cali and Central Florida.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16696.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	1305386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20108.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	1305387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63003.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	1305388  
Old 11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Gripenflyer

Thanks again for all the ideas.....lots to think about

PaulD

We still fly turbines in Singapore...not many though. Jets have not been banned...We normally go across to Malaysia to fly(Far less restictive). I am working on the 15th,but the 14th we might be doing a trip across to Malaysia.

PM me and ill send you my mobile number.

Cheers
GF