Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Black Smoke???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Black Smoke???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Smoke???

Todd,

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZBrEdxICxY&feature=PlayList&p=D1553A5AC4A6FA27&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4]This[/link] may be your [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9X3TNUIIi8&feature=PlayList&p=D1553A5AC4A6FA27&index=5&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL]answer[/link], or just convince those that you are working with that going to afterburner and eliminating the black smoke altogether would be better all around while preserving the stealthiness of the UAV. Of course, having the ablilty to make black, white and zero smoke does have it's advantages. These guys seem to have it figured out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1on5pNgDP0[/youtube]

I really do think the temperature may be the biggest variable in the equation. Like Gene says, it may be a matter of somewhere in the turbine. Or it may be outside the turbine and downstream of the exhaust by a considerable margin, maybe even as much as a couple of feet where the EGT is down to somewhere below 400 degrees. It'll be interesting to see what the final answer is.

Good Luck
Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure this would work, but adding -lamp black- to the oil in a ratio to keep it suspended might work. I am not exactly sure where we got this for another purpose several years ago. Lamp black is just carbon powder as a result of combustion. Very dark black. Should disburse nicely and not cause environmental damage.

The dye ideas really are not good around people. There may be other powders that could be mixed with the oil... of course it would have to be mixed prior to flight to keep from settling.

If you try the idea, could you let me know if it worked?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

The key will be the oxygen. Not air, but oxygen. The vaporized fuel in the tailstream of the turbie is a rich environment for flame. the particles are dispersed so finely that the refractive index of the moelcules is giving you the illusion of a white vapor. If you could "energize" that vapor with a little oxygen (higher concentration than the 14% in normal atmosphere) you would have a rapidly burning mixture (when ignited) that would carbonize and leave you with a thick heavy trail of black smoke, just like the F4. The key would be two things. First a one way valve on the oxygen line to prevent burn back up the line, and second some form of ignition once the vaporized fuel / O2 mix is in the stream. you would also need a fair amount of protection on the rear of the plane, it is gonna get real hot back there.
Believe me, I have seen things burn with oxygen that you would never think could catch fire. All it will take is a small amount in the fuel vapor.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The B-47 and B-52 must have lots of oxygen comming out the back then
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17294.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1308303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36063.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1308304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55536.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1308305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67882.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1308306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw18116.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1308307  
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: DocYates

The key will be the oxygen. Not air, but oxygen. The vaporized fuel in the tailstream of the turbie is a rich environment for flame. the particles are dispersed so finely that the refractive index of the moelcules is giving you the illusion of a white vapor. If you could ''energize'' that vapor with a little oxygen (higher concentration than the 14% in normal atmosphere) you would have a rapidly burning mixture (when ignited) that would carbonize and leave you with a thick heavy trail of black smoke, just like the F4. The key would be two things. First a one way valve on the oxygen line to prevent burn back up the line, and second some form of ignition once the vaporized fuel / O2 mix is in the stream. you would also need a fair amount of protection on the rear of the plane, it is gonna get real hot back there.
Believe me, I have seen things burn with oxygen that you would never think could catch fire. All it will take is a small amount in the fuel vapor.
I don't think introducing pure O2 would be the right thing to do. The combustion would be much more efficient than with atmospheric O2 likely producing less Carbon and more clean combustion products (Co2 H20 etc..)

I would research more along the lines of either suspending a carbon product (creating an aerosol/suspended particles) EG the "white" smoke oil mechanism. Or obtaining a less effiecient combustion.. Just my HO.

Someone mentioned Carbon black which would work, but dispersing it into fine droplets is another thing..

Pete
Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 AM
DocYates

The black smoke is from the burning of the carbon, not the atomization. The efflux on the turbines is just hot enough too cause it to vaporize, and it is not burning. Try holding a torch to the tail end of turbine with the "white smoke" coming from it and see what will happen, especially if you can increase the oxygen content just a little bit. The vaporized material should ignite and will not burn too effeciently. There should be plenty of black smoke.
I may be totally wrong here, but I am not sure how you are gonna get a "balck, greasy" smoke from just atomization.
Those pics of the B52s and B47s show an engine where a huge amount of fuel is being injested and burned ineffeciently. In that case there is not enough oxygen there for a complete burn and you get the large amount of carbon. Introduce a higher oxygen level in the engine and you would not get as much smoke. there is a fine balance here in the combustion of these hydrocarbons. I think in our case where we are atomizing the hydrocarbons, we could get smoke by introducing a small amount of oxygen and then igniting the mixture.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The black smoke is from the burning of the carbon, not the atomization. The efflux on the turbines is just hot enough too cause it to vaporize, and it is not burning. Try holding a torch to the tail end of turbine with the ''white smoke'' coming from it and see what will happen, especially if you can increase the oxygen content just a little bit. The vaporized material should ignite and will not burn too effeciently. There should be plenty of black smoke.
I may be totally wrong here, but I am not sure how you are gonna get a ''balck, greasy'' smoke from just atomization.
Those pics of the B52s and B47s show an engine where a huge amount of fuel is being injested and burned ineffeciently. In that case there is not enough oxygen there for a complete burn and you get the large amount of carbon. Introduce a higher oxygen level in the engine and you would not get as much smoke. there is a fine balance here in the combustion of these hydrocarbons. I think in our case where we are atomizing the hydrocarbons, we could get smoke by introducing a small amount of oxygen and then igniting the mixture.
You can't get black out of atomizaton. Atomization is vapor. From what I have read, all vapors other than vapor which are gases (like the purple vapor from Iodine which dispurses rapidly) are white in color. When you slow down the turbines and ramp them up fast the vapor catches on fire. Burning a flame behind the tubine will cause the engine to run improperly.

I've been trying to apply chemistry to this issue but nothing has come up to answer it yet. I read about people that have been working on this for 10 years. The people from Super Dri took years to perfect their white vapor looking smoke. They also have tried to get color. These guys are the leading provider for aviation smoke. They have had guys on this forever.

I still think there has to be a breakthrough that someone hasn't thought of.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: SJN

The B-47 and B-52 must have lots of oxygen comming out the back then
All of these black contrails are created from engines that are not efficient and the jet fuel is being burned inefficiently. As manufacturers of jet engines improved them the air quality improved. Moreover, I believe that fuel manufacturers reduced the amount of sulfer or other impurities in fuel to reduce the smoke created by these engines. This combined with efficiencies in engine design has reduced the "polution" you used to see comming from jets.

Its not vapor though. I'm sure if we ran crappy fuel in our turbines we could get black smoke out of them. The rpms wouldn't be as great and we would loose thrust.

Note that big jets can fly faster with smaller, fewer engines now to. Back then those engines provided a fraction of the thrust that the newer smaller engines create.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
DocYates

When you break apart the carbon molecule you get several things. Energy being the most sought after component. Heat and smoke are also created. The more effeciently we get the energy from the combustion of the carbon molecule, we decrease the amount of the other items (namely smoke). Those early turbines were extremely ineffecient. if we had the same amount of effeciency in our microturbines that was present in those early models they would not even get off the ground.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
AndyAndrews

When you break apart the carbon molecule you get several things. Energy being the most sought after component. Heat and smoke are also created. The more effeciently we get the energy from the combustion of the carbon molecule, we decrease the amount of the other items (namely smoke). Those early turbines were extremely ineffecient. if we had the same amount of effeciency in our microturbines that was present in those early models they would not even get off the ground.
hehe exactly. But they would probably smoke!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Kingtech k80 runningon diesel seems to smoke allright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHP07...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVNA-mvqAUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcsk...layer_embedded
Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
AndyAndrews

just think of all of the carbon buildup in those injectors....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many many years ago when I was still in school we went through classes to learn how to weld. Both Heliarc and Oxy-acetylene welding. I recall that if you put to much acetylene into the torch you got a nice black plume of smoke. I'm guessing that an acetylene source in the plane (small tank) with an electronic shut off valve, nozzle and a pizio electric ignitor or glow plug might give you the black you are looking for. Lighting the acetylene in the rapid air flow might be a challenge so a form of flame holder would be required. That system certainly avoids the messy oil and dye issues.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

so has anyone emailed / called their respective engine manufacturer regarding the use and potential effects created by using diesel, turpentine etc.? I sent an email yesterday to AMT USA but haven't called yet.

what if any changes to the turbine oil - fuel ratio would be required?

I think there could be some value in asking them to look into this possibility and ,time permitting, report back their findings. I'm sure all the manufacturers have spare engines they can test different fuel types, primarily diesel, which would be commonly available for all of us.

just a thought

cheers
buck
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle

Many many years ago when I was still in school we went through classes to learn how to weld. Both Heliarc and Oxy-acetylene welding. I recall that if you put to much acetylene into the torch you got a nice black plume of smoke. I'm guessing that an acetylene source in the plane (small tank) with an electronic shut off valve, nozzle and a pizio electric ignitor might give you the black you are looking for. Lighting the acetylene in the rapid air flow might be a challenge so a form of flame holder would be required. That system certainly avoids the messy oil and dye issues.
My brother made a potato cannon once with acetylene and oxygen. The thing blew up in his face. How stable would acetylene be mixed with our fuel oil and then igniting it? Can you try this and get back to us lol?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

well....after watching the Kingtech video i guess we know the likely result of diesel[] oh well
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Pete737

The black smoke is from the burning of the carbon, not the atomization. The efflux on the turbines is just hot enough too cause it to vaporize, and it is not burning. Try holding a torch to the tail end of turbine with the ''white smoke'' coming from it and see what will happen, especially if you can increase the oxygen content just a little bit. The vaporized material should ignite and will not burn too effeciently. There should be plenty of black smoke.
I may be totally wrong here, but I am not sure how you are gonna get a ''balck, greasy'' smoke from just atomization.
The black smoke/soot actually IS the carbon or carbon radical..

It is a result of the hydrocarbon molecule not being fully converted to thermal/radiant energy or oxidized and leaving behind substances (mostly cabon) that require more energy than is present in the system (In this case an exauhst stream) to continue to react with O2.

The idea of introducing O2 to the exaust stream to interact with vaporized fuel is interesting but I don't think a vapor (having a relatively high O2 supply as compared to a solid or liquid) would be the best state of fuel.

If there was some way to disperse Carbon black or similar the same way smoke oil is dispersed that should work. I can't find anything so far. Not a theoretical disertation of any kind.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Pete737

Hey, wait a minute. What about some sort of solid fuel source in the exhaust area that would absorb just enough energy to smolder/chemically react?

Not practical?

Pete
Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Side track, sorry. Time to insert funny F4 / Smoke story.

I was a Crew Chief on F4's at Ramstein AB Ger. During one of our Flugtag air shows I was off duty wondering around the static displays with a group from my squadron. We came across a US Army tracked AA missile launch vehicle loaded with aim-7's with a soldier proudly showing it off to the gawkers. See, we had Army on base as our airfield defense. After telling him we were Ramstein F4 crews he was especially excited to give us, the actual people he was there to defend, the VIP tour. All was going well and we were mildly impressed that the DOD saw fit to give the Army something this advanced to play with, until he got to the IFF. He was trying to explain when they would engage a hostile and he was pointing at what we knew to be a pretty widely used, familiar transponder. It went something like this… "When the green light comes on it's hostile and we engage… no, uhh, when the green light comes on it's friendly and…" "…it doesn't matter we only shoot at smokers, we don't have any jets that smoke." I think at that point we lost a couple of the aircrew in our group so they could go puke.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Propellars

Hi all

Actually pure drinking milk (cow-milk) could happen to produce more soot than steam – thus making black smoke.

At least it does turn brown/black at quite low temperatures..

Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi All

I asked Tony about the K-80 grey / white smoke and he uses straight diesel with 5% oil I believe He said the soot was not too bad. I don't know if Taiwan has #1 or #2 Diesel from the pump.

I wanted to try it but have not had the time to do so yet. In Hawaii all we have is #2 Diesel and it's cloud point and Cetane rating are much farther away from Kero than # 1 Diesel, so we may need to add 10% gasoline like they do for the frank turbines in Germany.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Ok so what GooseF22 said makes sense.

The old J79 smoked due to lower than optimum temps during combustion.

As most of our turbines have combustion chamber temps above 700C (EGT =650C + so combus temp must be higher) so no smoke.

For Todds issue as he does not have to deal with AMA legalitys so if one could make a mini afterburner that fed Kero and burned at a lower temp he might get black smoke. IE a little can with a flame holder attached to the end of the stainless smoke tube, it would be interesting to try on the bench.

Aloha

Duke
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
rabraaten

Just gonna throw this out here. AeroTech Consumer Aerospace makes a model rocket motor propellant (solid) called Black Jack and Black Max that leaves a heavy black trail on ignition. It might be worth dropping them an e-mail and seeing if they'd reveal what kinds of compounds burn black, as I'm sure that they don't worry about an incomplete combustion process. Possible you could liquify something out of what they tell you and pump that into the exhaust of your jet????
Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone tried injecting water in the front of the turbine yet? it made the B-52's pour the black smoke.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: trioval00

I should ask my Ex-wife about black smoke, seems there is plenty of black smoke when she tries to cook dinner...........
HAHA LMRO HAHA Mark, your wife and mine must be twins cuz sometimes I can't tell if she's cooking or fire training !!!! <8D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.