Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Skygate Hawk - build (virtual manual)

David,

How did you fasten the "bacon slices" to the stabilizer?
    On my Tommy Hawk, the gap between stabilizer and fuselage varies with movement, so I should fasten them in such a way that the can move to/from the fuselage, but no play up/down or forward/aft.

P.s.: did you notice that the aft lower track is located too far forward on the fuselage? It's rear should be in line with the vertical panel line.

Regards,

Remco45

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plates are made as one piece units with a cut at the center rear to allow it to fit over the stab. bridge. The fit is tight enough so that it moves with the stab. as it "rotates" but with just enough play to allow it to move in and out very slightly as the gap changes. The plates are also flexible, they are NOT glued to the bridge. Being "trapped" by the tracks it all works and the tracks are lubed with a silicon spray to allow very smooth movement. This config. has works perfectly on my AW Hawks and seems just as effective on my SG machine.

I do recall that the track on the fuselage was not in exactly the correct position, I THINK I corrected it but so much has happened since then I can't recall every detail !

I can supply EXACT templates after I get home which will make the task very straightforward and reduce the time required to complete to a couple of hours.

Regards,

David.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, your back...I wondered where everybody was last week...must be the weather.
    Thanks for the info David, much appreciated.
    No need for the templates, have already made a similar construction, but two plates as mine are probably a bit thicker. I have covered these with some wood to make the screw holes on the top ones and the panel lining and nut on the lower ones. Attached to each other with high speed tape.

Cheers,

Remco

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Started to fit the scoops and various vents etc to the fuselage so that the turbine and other internal installations can finally be completed.
    The top two exhaust vents are very tricky to fit, the holes in the fuselage need to be accurately cut, then the pre-moulded sections have to be filed and shaped to fit the holes, before this can happen the deflectors have to fitted, these originally are supplied as thin pieces of plastic, I struggled to get them to fit and look half decent so a while back I made a small mould and made two shaped deflectors from glass cloth and epoxy, these fitted better and once trimmed were tacked in with cyano, the pre-moulded pieces then fit over these sandwiching them in and completing the overall look. A bead of white pigmented epoxy will be run in the gaps to blend the joins etc a little later.
    The two intake scoops were fitted using thin cyano, which I wicked around the edge while holding them in place with one hand, I can get inside these so will also apply a thin bead of epoxy inside to strengthen this bond.
    I needed to run three airlines to each wing for gear and brakes, trying to sort a good route took a while but eventually I cut and shaped two lite ply planks and glued these along the sides of the lower gear door mounting formers, this takes the airlines neatly back from the air manifold to the exits in the fuselage wing areas for connections.
    I aeropoxied the tank hardware to the filler cap, this involved drilling out the original two holes in the cap into one big one to accommodate the brass fitting that comes with the JP UAT system, into this a large bore festo swivel fixing was also aeropoxied, once dry the large bore Tygon tube was fitted and security wired.

marcs

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29587.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	1461164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68795.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	1461165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17089.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	1461166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mf97037.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	1461167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs95603.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	1461168  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Made a couple of plates to fix the air fill and fuel fill hardware to and gave them a coat of grey paint, the air section is under one air grill, the fuel section is under the other.
    Added a thin ply plate to run/secure the fuel supply Tygon to on its path between tank and UAT.

marcs

Name:	Nl30516.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	1465464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51808.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	1465465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sy63677.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	1465466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fy71918.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	1465467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qb38450.jpg 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	1465468  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Md51918.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	1465469  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The nose section is filling up with the usual mass of wires, made a small panel with connections for the three batteries and the nose steering servo connections, smaller Tamiya connectors are for smoke pump and lighting connections.

marcs

Name:	Bz77991.jpg 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	1465554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ie97964.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	1465555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv54012.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	1465556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qj20170.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	1465557  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello im also building a skygate hawk, this tread is beeing very helpfull to me, i want to thank you all for taking the time to share info and knoweledge

this is how i installed flap and aileron sevos, i did the flaps like this because the push rods i had, where a little shorter, so i turned the servo with the horn nearer the flap, instead the way that is on the picture on the cd that came with the kit

thank you

Name:	Ay74214.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	1471848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88579.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	1471849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68116.jpg 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	1471850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic83697.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	1471851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vh56365.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	1471852  

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/12800/
    TEAM JETCENTRAL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Latest work is now focussed on the wings as most of the fuselage work is done, and its a matter if fitting in the turbine tanks etc for the completion side. The wings are tricky to say the least, ailerons and linkages are straight forward but the flaps and associated fixings are very time consuming to get correct.

First off I painted the inside of the main gear area, neatens it up, the landing gear will be last purely because the geometry of one of the retracts was way off for some reason, so now I am waiting for a digital inclinometer to arrive so I can set up a jig to match the angles from the good retract - fingers crossed this should be done next week.

Flap linkage covers - urg! First you need to hollow out the covers for the horns on the flap itself, a job that requires patience and time, removing small amounts of material until the fit is free from binding. I found that as I wound the aluminium ball clevis to the horn with some carbon tows the tiny extra thickness that resulted made it very tight to get it to fit in the cover. Eventually with some small carbide tools I was able to get the fit I needed.

The central linkage on the FS incorporates a larger cover, on the kit all the horns are the same size, its just the covers which are larger, sounds fine until you try to get the pivot point in the right position to allow the flap to open in its arc without binding on the covers. I ended up slightly raising the covers fitted to the flap surface and beading the gap under with Aeropoxy, once fitted and epoxied it was then a matter of loads more time getting each wing linkage cover to fit, again without binding.

I ended up re-shaping the curved areas on the tops of the flap covers to make them flatter in shape, this allowed the flap cover to arc over better without binding on the tops of the wing horn covers. I had to re-shape these to match and leave reasonable gaps all round to get the final result. These gaps are larger than I would have liked, but as they are all consistent the look is pretty good. As a tip I fixed the inner and out covers first, they are easier to get right, then when fitted and secured i tackled the middle cover.

Next come the aileron covers. These are vac formed plastic, thin and very fragile, but light. I have trimmed one so far and now have a dilemma - PERMANENTLY GLUE THEM or FIX SO THEY CAN BE REMOVED..........what's best?
    If you glue them the servo covers and access to the servo is not possible without cutting off the covers, so is this acceptable? If not how would you suggest fitting the covers so they can be removed easily?

I have some ideas but would rather glue them if truth be known - HELP appreciated.

marcs

Name:	Yw67719.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	1472312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36951.jpg 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	1472313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va70991.jpg 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	1472314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bu58529.jpg 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	1472315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It98501.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	1472316  

Name:	Ne55091.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	1472317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sp45522.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	1472318  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Marc,

Just wandering if you are using the correct Servo Horns on the Ailerons (JR Aluminum Servo Horn Type A). My servo horns petrude almost 1/2" outside the surface of the wing.

Also I stongly recommend you DON'T glue the Servo Covers, BVM countersunk panel screws work well here.

Regards,

Darryl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darryl,

The horns are indeed JR aluminium ones all I have done is file of the tops to keep them from sticking out too far ;-)
    I have decided to take the painful route of fixing and not glueing - I'll post progress in a day or so.

marcs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Marc,

I aggree, fixing is better than glueing.
    Perhaps this picture can be of help: the flap linkage covers are screwed against a small frame which is mounted at the wing's underside.
    The aileron linkage covers have a small horizontal part which is screwed against the wing.
    I'm thinking of doing the same with small countersunk screws (M1.6).

Remco

Edit: included a picture of the TommyHawk (not mine).

Name:	Zw69596.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	1473235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41377.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1473236  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P.s.: Marc, a tip from one of our German collegues. If you would decide to glue the flap linkage covers on, do the front parts after painting because the small flap can't be reached well with the spray gun when the flap is mounted to the wing.

Regards,

Remco

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Remco,

The flap covers are glued in place, its the aileron covers that are going to made removable.
    One of the issues with the flap horns is the parts mounted on the wing are canted over slightly to get the centreline in the correct place for the horn mounted to the flap surface, this means that any frame made to fix the covers to has to be slanted, and this my friend is not easy to achieve. Maybe the slightly larger scale of the T hawk would make this an easier task, but for now they are fixed, and the nut and bolts holding the horns together are well Loctited!

The aileron covers are going to be removable, and it is these I am working on at the moment.

marcs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the thought process behind the removable aileron covers.

Currently the main wing cover is being tackled, the front fixing is basically a piece of thick (4mm) quality lite ply, which I shaped to a curve to loosly fit inside the cover at a point just forward of the servo hatch, once the shape was a loose fit I mixed up a small blob of automotive fine filler putty and ran a bead around the shaped ply, I then pushed this into the aileron cover at the correct point and allowed the filler to set, once done the ply piece complete with the perfect fitting filler was removed (the aileron cover was waxy enough in standard form to release real easy) I sanded the overhanging filler flush to the sides of the ply insert.

Next I fitted the ply mount inside the cover and drilled two tiny pilot holes in each side and secured the cover to the ply former with two tiny dome headed screws. This ply former will be glued to the wing skin a little later on.

Deciding on a method of fixing the cover nearer the wing trailing edge took a little more thought. Eventually I decided to cut some ply tabs, these I plan on fixing into two slots cut into the wing skin. The tabs (along with some other items which I will use later) were cut on my little milling machine, I marked two slot positions just inboard of the foam/glass former built into the trailing edge of the wing, then cut them with a shap blade and opened them up with a flat file.

The plan will be to fix the two tabs to the aileron cover first with two small screws, then line up the cover and glue the tabs in place while the cover holds them in the correct position. Once dry the screws can be removed and the cover lifted off - well thats the plan...

marcs

Name:	Ig13783.jpg 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	1473850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zv67145.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	1473851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In28537.jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1473852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bu58008.jpg 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	1473853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gr92371.jpg 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1473854  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plan is coming together...

The two ply tabs were fixed to the sides of the cover in the correct location so as to engage the slots cut in the wing skin, using tiny screws. I also added a small piece of ply (as I had cut spares) to the front lite ply fixing so it had more gueing area to fix to the skin.
    I added some glue to the skin below the slots and to the base of the front ply support and dropped the whole cover with rear tabs and front ply plate into position, left for 20 mins for the epoxy to set, and then removed the four fixing screws.

All seems good, the servo cover can be secured and removed which was the plan to get access to the servo. I will now add glue to make the tab fixings properly secure as just pushing them into glue blobbed to the underside of the holes will not be a sound fix.

Next the rear cover......

marcs

Name:	By76189.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1474482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14407.jpg 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	1474483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kq35940.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	1474484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga77042.jpg 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	1474485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ht97743.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	1474486  

Name:	Gx30317.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1474487  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aileron covers are all done now.

Next job was to fit the wings to the fuselage and adjust the flap cut-outs, fortunately there was only a small amount of adjustment to get the fit right.
    Wing security was next. With the wings fitted to the fuselage I drilled an M4 hole through from inside the fuselage, centrally in the ply brace plate which is fitted just in front of the main wing tube position. This gives a strong base from which to fix, and is accessible via the main gear door.
    Once the hole was drilled right through into the wing I removed the wings. As the area where the hole is made in the wing is just the glass/airex/glass sandwich I cut some 6mm lite ply plates and glued these in place inside the wing mating face.
    Once dry I drilled out these M4 holes to accept the M4 blind nut, fitted this inside one the lite ply plate and glued it while pulling it hole with an M4 bolt and washer from the outside.

Added the two front alignment pins and glued these in place, securing the ends on the front x-former in place as well.

Being an idiot I routed the servo leads, light leads and air feeds into the opening just forward of the wing tube in the fuselage, fine you say, but when I wired the wings, I brought the cables to the hole in the wing behind the wing tube !!!! bummer. So looked at the situation for a few minutes and decided to re-route the fuselage cables back to the rear opening, this would be easier than re-wiring the wings, and would keep the gear area less busy with possible hazards. I opted to leave the air feeds in the forward location as these would feed directly into the gear bay area and to the retract units.

Whilst doing the re-wire I made two ply plates to fit into the front portion of the rear fuselage cut-outs to mount a Multiplex connector and 2 pin plug connector for the wiring. This gives a firm fixing for one end of the connections while the leads from the wing will remain free. A compromise between push fit wing connectors!

marcs

Name:	Xv64833.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	1476883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68245.jpg 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1476884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tz67315.jpg 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	1476885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bu58017.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	1476886  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Installed the turbine and connected up the fuel feeds and the ECU connections. One change was I had to re-wire the multiplex connector which feeds into the turbine for starting etc, the supplied unit has the cables soldered so they connect vertically to the pins, unfortunately the carbon bypass does not have sufficient headroom to allow the cables to be bent over in a safe manner. I re-made a new lead and soldered the cables so the feed the connector at 90 degrees, the result fitted and allowed some clearance in the bypass. The other end was fitted with another multiplex connector to hook up the the ECU.

I made an anti-burst strap to go around the bypass from a short length of 1" velcro, I melted two holes in each end for the M4 bolts to pass through and made two small rectangular 'washers' to clamp the strap. I used the middle two turbine mounting bolts to secure this strap.

Main fuel tank is in, just the fuel line to connect and safety wire. Smoke tank in and connected. Equipment tray in and gear cylinders connected and collets adjusted for closure position. Working now to connect up the servo leads, satellite receiver locations and various other connections to PB. Hooked up the LCD screen and mounted it on the velco pad in its location.

Starting now to come together, and seeing light at the end of the tunnel ;-)

marcs

Name:	Jh15869.jpg 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	1477851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17171.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	1477852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq37896.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	1477853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vp39815.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	1477854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It10638.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	1477855  

Name:	Kb43718.jpg 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	1477856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oq21660.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1477857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv75037.jpg 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	1477858  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Marcs

Thanks for thism manual!

Congratulatiosn for your model.

João Matos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK I have to admit this thread was going to be stopped by me, but I have opted to continue as so much has gone into the build and the thread it seemed childish to put an end to it at this point. Sometimes I wish this hobby just remained exactly that, a hobby, but oh no, the great human race is always looking for reasons to mess things up....................!

So as the intake mouldings are removable and have the inlet ducts fitted to the fronts I have decided to add two additional screw fixings through the front fuselage section on each side, to provide additional security to the inlets, and keep them nice and tight to the fuselage sides once assembled. I added two ply washers to help spread the load a little from the screw heads.

Next I added the two HUD's to the front and rear cockpit, nice little units appart from one thing, the plexiglass is too thick to fit into the slots in the HUD frames, urgh, simple error, should be fixed by Skygate. As there is no time to wait for the response I cut two more from thinner stuff and glued in with MMR.

Next where to put the two low battery warning LED's which are supplied as part of the PB unit, ah those HUD's I thought, handy place....... a little bit of wiring later and one LED is fitted to each HUD unit, so should be good and visible should a battery drop below the critical level

The final big job was to fix the mis-welded main gear leg, I have been putting off this job for a long time, but now it has to be done, as everything else is just about done bar the gear and final wing trims etc. I opted to jig the good gear leg and work from this. Using one of those little digital angle devices I was able to finally get the bad gear leg in its new location, tie wraps, balsa wedges, cyano and other stuff all holds the part in place ready for welding early in the week.

marcs

Name:	Wu61601.jpg 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	1484462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58085.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	1484463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg92916.jpg 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	1484464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb81509.jpg 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	1484465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz31743.jpg 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	1484466  

Name:	Kb43628.jpg 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	1484467  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Marc,

I, and I think I can speak for many if not most of us, am very glad that you've decided to continue this thread.
    To say this thread is interesting would be an understatement.
    Your excellent and detailled building, description, photo's, idea's etc. are of great value to me and probably any modeller.

Please, keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Remco45

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Appreciated - thanks

marcs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here, here Marc.
    Dont let it get you down. Watching this thread is a real pleasure. Its great to actually see one of your builds coming together, and having owned a couple of Skygate Hawks, i can appreciate all of the extra work, and little 00 Scully touches that you have added.
    RCU will be a dull place without your threads.
    Regards Al
    Al's Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, Airworld, BVM, Jet Cat, Skymaster, FEJ, Rc Jet Centre,pull over, Tomahawk, C-ARF, Jet-Teng,Kingtech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Marc, I am watching this thread since it began and its been very interesting indeed.  I would love to have you build a model for me some day. Look forward to meeting you at Jetpower next month.

Cheers

Anurag

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ragz,

Yes would be good to meet up, come over to the GBRJET stand, near Kolibri Turbines and we can chat.

marcs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK I have to admit this thread was going to be stopped by me, but I have opted to continue as so much has gone into the build and the thread it seemed childish to put an end to it at this point. Sometimes I wish this hobby just remained exactly that, a hobby, but oh no, the great human race is always looking for reasons to mess things up...................

Marc,

Don't quit posting your builds, I always enjoy watching as you progress through the stages. Your workmanship is top notch. Just wish there were more build threads instead of the crap postings that everyone seems to linger over like vultures.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast