Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire Extinguisher

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire Extinguisher

Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fire Extinguisher

Anyone tried/using one of these? [link=http://www.rcgear.com/products/ColdShot/]Cold Shot[/link]

I like the fact that refilling it is easy and convenient....
Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
gruntled

Default RE: Fire Extinguisher

Nice size.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM
furloughed ual

YEP....would fit perfectly in my flight line turbine kit bag.....could also carry a spare can easily enough
Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
FILE IFR

I agree it's a nice compact size. The $100 price is a little high for it's size.

I have a larger Co2 that I paid $130 and is 'carryable' to the start-up line or dreaded crash site.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Personally, I don't like the fact that it's BLACK.

In my experience, often when someone has a startup fire they do NOT have their extinguisher immediately to hand - despite the fact that they should have it right there, many people get complacent and figure that 'somewhere fairly close nearby' is good enough. When that happens, the clueless party freaks out and yells out "Somebody grab my extinguisher!", and everyone looks for the nearest RED bottle. I certainly would not be looking for some small black cylinder...

Gordon
Old 11-07-2009, 04:07 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Personally, I don't like the fact that it's BLACK.

In my experience, often when someone has a startup fire they do NOT have their extinguisher immediately to hand - despite the fact that they should have it right there, many people get complacent and figure that 'somewhere fairly close nearby' is good enough. When that happens, the clueless party freaks out and yells out ''Somebody grab my extinguisher!'', and everyone looks for the nearest RED bottle. I certainly would not be looking for some small black cylinder...

Gordon
I agree completely on the need for red color!

I've witnessed the very scene described above!

Dave
Old 11-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

The description says its anodized red. Must be a pre-production model in the video.

Jeremy
Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.. a 10lb CO2 extinguisher will give a 9 second shot, and this smaller unit is good for 10 secs. The small size makes it a lot more manageable and perhaps more of them would make there way to the start up area......
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Jeremy300

The description says its anodized red. Must be a pre-production model in the video.

Jeremy
Perhaps - but the description about "red anodized" immediately follows the bullet about having a CNC machined nozzle, so they may only mean that their machined nozzle is red (which just happens to match the pic in the top right hand side of the page).
Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 PM
furloughed ual

Gordon....those were my thoughts exactly....if I get it, it will be painted bright red right out of the box......for just the exact reason u mentioned....nobody looks for a black extinguisher...red is the color the eye looks for.....
Old 11-07-2009, 08:15 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody should be looking for an extinguisher, it should be by the side of the pilot or start up crew when they are starting the turbine not somewhere else that somone has to shout for it.

Mike
Old 11-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Jeremy300

Jeremy
Perhaps - but the description about ''red anodized'' immediately follows the bullet about having a CNC machined nozzle, so they may only mean that their machined nozzle is red (which just happens to match the pic in the top right hand side of the page).
DOH!!!![&:] My window didn't open completely and I didn't see the top right pic.

Jeremy
Old 11-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Wayne22

..Upon thinking about this all afternoon, I think I would be more comfortable if it had a UL rating... that is a lot of very cold material under pressure, and that nozzle does not look like it offers much protection for the user getting splattered with liquid CO2..... However, it is an innovative idea, and I wish them every success.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
SinCityJets

$99 for a nozzle that fits on a paintball CO2 canister??
Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 AM
furloughed ual

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

$65 for a trigger that fits on a powermax can ??

$65 for a $2 nalgene bottle with a couple of fittings on it??

$300 for a few $0.10 LED's and a controller to make them blink as we go ripping by at 200mph ??

I could go on and on....but I think u get the drift....

Price a Halon extinguisher...

Yep, $99 is high for what u get, but I'm guessing refilling the Halon I have that's now empty aint gonna be cheap....and when it comes down to it and u need it, fire extinguishers are the best $$$$ you'll spend......I just like the fact that a refill is easy....just wondering if anyone has used one of 'em.....

Chad, where's the pics from SCJ's? Hope its going well....couldnt make it work to attend this year....
Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Nobody should be looking for an extinguisher, it should be by the side of the pilot or start up crew when they are starting the turbine not somewhere else that somone has to shout for it.
Indeed, the extinguisher should be right by them (as I already said in my original post), but unfortnuatley there can sometimes be a world of difference between what people should do and what they actually do.

So - when some clueless person gets a startup fire without having had the smarts to have a fire extinguisher right by them .. what should the rest of us do ? Look for the nearest extinguisher to try to put the fire out, or stand back and watch the fire spread and perhaps (a) cause injury to some innocent bystander, or (b) burn the field down ? Perhaps some would just watch, but personally I'll be bustin my b@lls trying to get an extinguisher to the site of the fire. In that case, I'd rather have the extinguisher be easy to spot.

Gordon
Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 AM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

$65 for a trigger that fits on a powermax can ??

$65 for a $2 nalgene bottle with a couple of fittings on it??

$300 for a few $0.10 LED's and a controller to make them blink as we go ripping by at 200mph ??

I could go on and on....but I think u get the drift....

Price a Halon extinguisher...

Yep, $99 is high for what u get, but I'm guessing refilling the Halon I have that's now empty aint gonna be cheap....and when it comes down to it and u need it, fire extinguishers are the best $$$$ you'll spend......I just like the fact that a refill is easy....just wondering if anyone has used one of 'em.....

Chad, where's the pics from SCJ's? Hope its going well....couldnt make it work to attend this year....

Couldn't agree more. lol
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
furloughed ual

I have seen people have startup fires and then run like thier ***** 's are on fire to get an extinguisher....it's laziness and complacency.....those are usually the people who shoule be playing with Lego's and not jets.....we've all seen 'em......

I have a turbine kit bag that I have my service items in.....GSU/HDT, powermax, air pump, extinguisher, glow plugs, etc.....I have it set up so the plane can be serviced with air and powermax with out pulling anytihng from the bag....works really well and keps things more organized....the extinguisher is also in the with an unobstructed exit plan if needed...it is always there for start, as I dont use onboard propane cans, so the powermax is always there in the bag......

My big draw to this is that it will fit in my bag....the larger and wider ones will not......
Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Bob.R

Looks like a great idea. I wonder how long it will take to get AMA approval.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 AM
u4eake

I only gives a very small jet of CO2. I don't think this will put out much of a fire.
As for protection against liquid co2 splatter : the co2 shouldn't be liquid, it should be solid. It cools down so fast from expanding that it solidifies into snow (cold ice).
On a firefighting training at work the trainer asked us if we thought it was ok to put out a person on fire with a Co2 extinguisher. Some doubted, thinking about freeze wounds. He then completely covered me with CO2 snow from his extuighuiser, so I know first hand that it doesn't harm you, it's just a bit cold and it makes you look like a snowman. If you empty it completely on 1 spot on you hand, yes then you probably will get a burn mark.

I'd like to see the extinghuiser put out an actual fire, cause we use bottles, much like that one, at work to blow the dust out of old pc's... If it doesn't blow hard enough to solidify the co2 it may just carry extra air along with the Co2 stream into the fire, encouraging it instead of putting it out (much like putting out a bowl of burning oil with a jet of water (gives amazinglybig flames)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 AM
siclick33

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm interested if anyone has bought/tried one of these?

I've been looking to put a little flight box together for a P-20 model so I can easily transport/store a jet wherever I go. The only problem I have found is getting a fire extinguisher small enough to fit in the box (the smallest I have found is 1Kg).

This looks like it might fit the bill but wondered if anyone had real-life experience before I part with my hard-earned cash.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

It seems a little expensive to me, after buying a slightly used 5 pound CO2 bottle at a fire extinguisher supply store for $75.00 filled.
Refills used to cost under $10.00 for a 5 pounder.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
siclick33

Maybe, but I'm looking for a small extinguisher for my flight box and a 5lb 'standard' extinguisher is far too big.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm interested if anyone has bought/tried one of these?

I've been looking to put a little flight box together for a P-20 model so I can easily transport/store a jet wherever I go. The only problem I have found is getting a fire extinguisher small enough to fit in the box (the smallest I have found is 1Kg).

This looks like it might fit the bill but wondered if anyone had real-life experience before I part with my hard-earned cash.
I was standing next to an aircraft at this year's CAJets and there was a problem with starting. With both the pilot and spotter involved in sorting it out, I saw they had a fire at the back of the aircraft.I yelled and the pilot grabbed his 20 oz spray can fire extinguisher, and, after expending most of it down the intake, the fire showed no signs of having noticed. We grabbed a 5lb CO2 bottle and the fire was out in seconds. Got lucky, damages weren't too bad.

Really, when you have a fuel fed fire in your jet, nothing substitutes for having a massive amount of agent to do the job. I don't think the can extinguisher was exactly the same aswhat is shown at the top of this thread so Ican't speak to the type in question. But, even though Ihave thousands of engine starts and get as complacent as the next guy about it, I thought I learned a good lesson (again) about why having the big CO2 bottle around is a good thing.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan I thought you sold all your fire breathers