Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire-breathing Merlin

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire-breathing Merlin

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire-breathing Merlin

I have/had an early model Merlin 160 in my Lightning. I would get 2-3 flights before I had to replace the glow plug. After 2 years of fiddling with ecu parameters, and going through glow plugs, Eric Clapp (of Jet Central) told me that the plug was probably getting too hot over the combustion chamber and the filaments were melting in flight, not on start up. This is exactly what was happening. He recommended that I get an ecu upgrade and run an igniter instead of glow plug. By the way, for those who may not know, a merlin and a rhino are basically the same turbine. I only had about 30 flights on this jet cuz its a mission to change plugs and I was getting tired of dealing with it. Long story-short. I removed the turbine, ecu and fuel pump. Eric had it out the next day and I had an expedited turn around as promised. I installed the turbine yesterday. All I can say is WOW! The ramp up is sooooooooooooo smooth. I'm not sure what else they did, but the Throttle Response is - INSANE. Thus the title of the thread. This turbine is a firebreathing animal. I can't wait to put the lightning through its paces now. If only the wind would cooperate. Alex.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Fire-breathing Merlin

So putting in an igniter, does that mean that he converted it to kero start? I have a Merlin 160 MKII, I would love to have it Kero start but from what I understand it's not upgradable to Kero. Would love to know!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you buy the Merlin new? If so, who did you buy it from and why did the original vendor not support you?

It speaks volumes about Eric, I suppose, that he rescued an engine that was not one of his own?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

So putting in an igniter, does that mean that he converted it to kero start? I have a Merlin 160 MKII, I would love to have it Kero start but from what I understand it's not upgradable to Kero. Would love to know!
No Kero Start yet...

Here is a photo that was posted on another thread

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84984.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1311132  
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 PM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy, its not kero but it sure runs nice. I bought the Merlin new from Todd about 3 years ago. At first Todd was not servicing the engines and it had to back to Gaspar at Jetsmunt. This took alot of time going back and forth (weeks). I know I sent it twice for the same problem. The issue I GUESS was that the turbine would function fine on the test stand at Jetsmunt. After many cycles, the plug was enduring well. So they sent it back. The problem is when the turbine is in the plane and is being flown at 3/4-full throttle for 10 minutes. After a couple of flights (2-5), the plug would melt. I think that the plug location on the turbine was incorrect and it was getting charred OR the combustion chamber was not designed to protect the plug form extreme heat in the early versions. Anyways, other than burning plugs, the turbine ran great so i flew the lightning sporadically and just accepted it the way it was. I never pressed Todd about it. I was lucky to have other jets to fly. In October, at Jets Over the Cape, I took my lightning and Eric happened to be there and experienced my dilema. I changed the plug 2 or 3 times that day. He was very professional about the whole thing. He made a phone call to make sure they could do the upgrade and 10 days later I got my turbine back and its KICK *****! It was a seamless transaction.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I bet you'll consider a Jet Central on you next turbine purchase

Eric is the man, he will help anyone.