Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

ORIGINAL: hbutler

Another couple of questions...

Thinking of using an AR9200 for my flash. I prefer the AR9100, but because of some other components I currently have the the 9200 is a better fit.

Only concern is the current draw. The 9200 is rated at 20 amps continuous where as the 9100 is rated at 35 amps. What's your guys opinion? My guess is that 20 should be plenty. Manual suggest it would, but just want to check with others. The plane currently has 8411s all the way around. Would like to setup the plane's power system to be able to handle 8711s. I believe they are physically bigger than 8411, so they could be some fitting issues, but I'll deal with that if and when I change the servos out. So do you think 20 amps would be enough for hard flying with 8711s? (Not sure if 8711s would consume more current than 8411s. Stronger servo may not work as hard. So 8411s might be the bench mark)

Secondly would dual 2xxx mah packs be enough for a days worth of flying? Say 10 flights or so?
    dont upgrade it tis fine. 8711 is huge overkill. I like the 8411.. they are quick and sensitive.

most jets use about 400 Mah per flight, I size my packs to have 50% more than I need. you woudl then need about 3-4000 MAH packs. If you run nickle, thats getting heavy. I run 2 2600 ion packs. thats 4 flights and charge.. not a big deal. my kingcat is the same way.. so size them however you prefer..thats my rule of thumb
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You will love the plane! They are extremely fun to fly. I have a P-120sx internal kero start in mine. It has plenty of power with unlimited vertical. I even do blenders with mine on the way back down, which shocks everyone at the field that day. Don't buy the struts, you won't be happy. Get trailing link, especially if you are operating off of short runway. I fly off of a 450 x 40 paved runway with obsticles. Look into the Fromco Wolverine switch. It fails to the "ON" position. I also you dual Fromco Sahara regulators and Lipo batteries, but they are buried in the nose and don't remember what they are. Have 100 flights on mine and LOVE it!
    JPO Yearly Member. Retired ATP B-727, HS-125, IA-JET

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again all,

I went back over the thread and I'm going to go with the AR9100. The plane was originally fitted with one, so it will make for little adjustments. Additionally I already have one with very little time on it. Saving some $ is always a plus. Additionally, I'll use two 2300 A123s for my RX which I really like due to the simplicity and reliability. I'll wait to see what to power the turbine with until I'm working on the CG.

I haven't been this excited about RC in a long time. My interest in jets was the reason for getting into the hobby. Dubd has been trying to convince me for about a year now to get one and I finally listened. Really looking forward to getting this one in the sky.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

............I'll wait to see what to power the turbine with until I'm working on the CG.

Don't wait, put a Duralite LiMg in there and you'll be glad you did, all day flying without recharging.
    Morgan Fuels / JetCat / KingTech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KC36330

............I'll wait to see what to power the turbine with until I'm working on the CG.

Don't wait, put a Duralite LiMg in there and you'll be glad you did, all day flying without recharging.
    I was considering that. I have a couple of 4300s in my 36% sbach... Have been very happy with them thus far. As recommended, I'll wait and see what is going to happen with the CG. Additionally, that will give me a feel for how long the cables should be. I've had duralite customize the length of cables in the past. Looks tight in the fuse, so would like to do my best to keep it organized and clean.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again all,

I went back over the thread and I'm going to go with the AR9100. The plane was originally fitted with one, so it will make for little adjustments. Additionally I already have one with very little time on it. Saving some $ is always a plus. Additionally, I'll use two 2300 A123s for my RX which I really like due to the simplicity and reliability. I'll wait to see what to power the turbine with until I'm working on the CG.

I haven't been this excited about RC in a long time. My interest in jets was the reason for getting into the hobby. Dubd has been trying to convince me for about a year now to get one and I finally listened. Really looking forward to getting this one in the sky.
    Me too, thats what got me back into the sport.. I LOVE Jets!!. Being a full scale Jet pilot, sealed the deal for me..

Excellent combo. simple and reliable, no switches, just the 9100 soft switch.. I am a fromeco rep, and their stuff absolutely rocks, so I like the wolverine setup as well, but with the 9100 and the 1222 receivers, I prefer the Iron Corps Extreme batteries (A123). I use the Fromeco balancing circuit that can be put under the shrink wrap on the A123's if you have a two wire charger (ion Cube), otherwise put balancing wires on them, so you can balance charge them in the plane.. I had some good Giant Scale stuff left over and it works well in Jets.. My power systems were very comparable, which resulted in overkill for jets, but nothing ever fails..

If you fly alot, the fast charge of the A123 rocks...just balance them often..
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just found out that the flash I have coming doesn't have a wing tank. Check the comp-arf website and they only list the fuse tank in the spare parts section. I seem to remember one post in a thread where someone was asking to purchase a wing tank and would pay good money for one....

Am I reading to much between the lines if I've arrived at the conclusion that it is difficult to get a wing tank for this plane? Anyone else have to deal with this and have tips?

I've emailed all the us distributors and waiting to hear back. Thought I would hit you guys up also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just call one of the reps, the wing tank is available. about 100.00 for it. it is also one of the CT-114 tanks.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dreamworks sells the set with the main and wing tank. Don't know if they sell just the wing tank but would be easy enough to email them and ask.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ray Labonte got mine quickly. he is on the CARF website.
    Goose

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the wing tank is on the accessories page under fuel system.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...9&linkId=@1699

The link above will take you to the Flash wing tank from C-ARF. I received it in about a week, costs $99, comes with all plumbing, etc., ships from Ray Labonte in Maine.
    Also, my Behotec retracts had five pages of instructions - all in German! Go to altecarerc.com and you can download the instructions in English.
    Regards,
    Mark
    AW Extra 260/ZDZ Super 80; Elan/K-100; GJC Viperjet/K-80; YA F-15C/K-140

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John at MAP has a Flash wing tank conversion that mounts to the fuse and fits into the pocket in the wing. Eliminates the requirement to disconnect the fuel lines when disconnecting the wing.

http://www.modelaviationproducts.com/index.html

It's not shown on the web page - you have to call and ask for it.

PaulD
    If it\'\'s too LOUD - You\'\'re too OLD

Www.wircsrc.com
    MAAC Jet Committee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PaulD

John at MAP has a Flash wing tank conversion that mounts to the fuse and fits into the pocket in the wing. Eliminates the requirement to disconnect the fuel lines when disconnecting the wing.

http://www.modelaviationproducts.com/index.html

It's not shown on the web page - you have to call and ask for it.

PaulD
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help.

I would really like not to have to deal with managing the wing tank connection. Therefore I'm interested in this suggestion. I've been told it is managing the connection to the wing tank is easy and the downside putting an additional fuse tank is possible CG movement while burning fuel... Those that are using second fuse tanks versus wing have an opinion?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Wing tank Connection is not as bad as it seems Just connect the 2 lines together with a festo fitting and your done.
    There is really not a lot of room to add another fuse tank.It's Crammed in there!!!
    You could mount 2 tanks by the intakes. I mounted 2 there (as well as a lot of other people) but they are for smoke.

I have the wing tank,fuse tank, the little 4 oz that was meant to be the hopper and a 4 oz MAP High Flow UAT tank. With the Rhino I can get up to 7 min of flying with a little time to spare. Now if the Throttle was full for most of the flight (Like I usually fly the my Flash) then I get about 5 min
    Pete H
    A Happy Jet Central Falcon & Rhino Owner

Do you have one of those in your's Paul?? I'm installing one as well....
    All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can\'t make me happy......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gonna order one in a bit. Focussing on getting the Boomer Torus done for now but I suspect I will be needing some stuff from MAP pretty soon.

The only thing I need to work out is how I will do the rest of the wing connections with that tank in the way. I like the set-up I have now where I can slip the wing connections up into the front section, do up the wing bolts and then flip the aircraft over to finish the connections. Makes it much easier than trying to make those connections while you're holding the wing.

Hope U have a good Christmas Wayne and to everyone else as well.

PaulD
    If it\'\'s too LOUD - You\'\'re too OLD

Www.wircsrc.com
    MAAC Jet Committee

Thanks Paul....and same to you!!!

I'm going to run the connectable stuff up between the intakes into the cockpit area for final connections. Hopefully there is room for everything with that tank hanging there, but will find out very soon......

All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can\'t make me happy......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was a bit concerned about the tank in the wing but it really is a non-event and 'when' I build another I will use the same method.

Here's how I did mine.

Festo 90 degree thingy on the wing tank line with standard on-off tap in fuselage. After flying I turn off the tap and unplug the Festos and job done. To keep the car clean I then add a plug and a cap to the bare ends to stop fuel coming out. Easy
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    www.ukjetshop.com
    UK Dealer for Bavarian Demon and Emcotec. Reseller of Ashlock connectors,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only thing I need to work out is how I will do the rest of the wing connections with that tank in the way. I like the set-up I have now where I can slip the wing connections up into the front section, do up the wing bolts and then flip the aircraft over to finish the connections. Makes it much easier than trying to make those connections while you're holding the wing.
    Ther is lots of room to make the connections in the fuse after wing is in place. There is more room with our wing tank than with the comp arf wing tank. If you need pics of what I did just let me know.

John

Model Aviation Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

post 115 back on page 5 shows how i had my wing tank connection, and how much room there is to connect everything after the wing is secured in place.
    Morgan Fuels / JetCat / KingTech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KC36330

post 115 back on page 5 shows how i had my wing tank connection, and how much room there is to connect everything after the wing is secured in place.
    Post 127 on pg 6 for mine
    Pete H
    A Happy Jet Central Falcon & Rhino Owner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how does she fly with the p80.. do you like it.. is the speed ok.. have you done takeoff with paved runway yet.. anyway just trying to get an idea how the flash flys with a p80..thanks pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi HButler

I have used the tank setup as shown in post # 127 in this thread and have been very happy with it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq48356.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1543129  
    Go Big or Go Home!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that looks pretty slick... what engine and how many minutes are you getting. also what size tanks are they....

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast