Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Jet Doctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

They are Dubro 24oz tanks. With a Wren 160, about 7 minutes with a safe go around or two.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 AM
ricardinho

cool i plan to use a p80se in mine.. so this takes care of using the wing tank correct..
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am flying my Flash with a Jet Central Rabbit which is rated at 19lb. Plenty of power. There is a short Youtube video at this link of a flight on New Years day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rcvideos.../7/aMu-RGyYgkI

As you can see there is plenty of power with this setup. Takeoff roll on this flight was about 120 feet. I added a sump to my main tank which brought the fuel capicitiy up to 95 ounces. I set my timer for 8 minutes and start it on takeoff roll, land at 8 minutes and have about 2-3 minues of fuel left. Don't know what kind of time you would get out of the P80 but I think it burns a bit more fuel than the Rabbit. Speed with my setup is around 175 on a level pass and you can get to the majic 199.99 limit with a little downhill run.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM
ricardinho

thanks .i am doing the new ultra flash and just trying to an idea on engines.. whats your dry weight?.. the p80se is 22lbs and burns 9oz minute at wot..
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM
ricardinho

watched your flight..doesnt get more stable then that.. thats what i call hauling it in... great flight....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM
sailing1

Dry weight is under 22 lbs. I built it pretty light and used a Tams pipe which saved quite a bit of weight in the rear of the plane. Just used the batteries for proper balance. I have a Cheetah which is 31 lbs of thrust which I was going to put in the Flash but I just like the way this plane flys and like not needing so much fuel. I know it would be a lot faster with the Cheetah but it is just so well balanced with this setup. Anyway, you will like the Flash no matter what turbine you put in it.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: fast jets

Ther is lots of room to make the connections in the fuse after wing is in place. There is more room with our wing tank than with the comp arf wing tank. If you need pics of what I did just let me know.

John

Model Aviation Products
John,

I will take you up on your offer and would be grateful if you could post pics of this MAP tank, which, if I understand correctly, occupies both the fuse and the wing in one piece.

Beavis
Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 AM
fast jets
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Beavis

Mine has been put away for the winter but latter in the day I will take it done and get the pics for you.

John
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Beavis

Thanks a lot, John. I look forward to seeing it.

Beavis
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM
fast jets

Here they are. OK I won't, can't up load any images.

John

MAP
Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
fast jets

Seemed to work this time, John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77333.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1543752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63655.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1543753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94082.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1543754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91106.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1543755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86208.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1543756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65447.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1543757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj87353.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1543758  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

My Flash build starts tomorrow, I have until Speed World to have her finished. evoJet booster 160 for power ... Should be able to run with the big boys with that setup!

Smoke on.........nooooowwwww! :-)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave:

If you really put your efforts to it, you should be done in two/three days, I have built two and the first one took me three days, two days on the second, I suggest you follow the equipment layout on the manual, build will go a lot faster...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Beavis

John,

Thank you for sharing this. It is quite an interesting tank setup. What is your total fuel capacity and how does that compare to the stock setup? I suppose that the flat bottom on your tank is not a problem?

Thanks again,
Beavis
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
fast jets

The wing tank is the first to empty and it never has more than a few drops in it. I do not have they orignal wing tank any more but I do belive that it is bigger than mine, the one that I make is a one litre tank and my timer goes of at 6.5 minutes. Most of the flights I do not have much fuel left but that has a lot to do with were I like the throttle

John

MAP
Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Wayne22

but that has a lot to do with were I like the throttle
...and, as his name implies is.......fast!!

I have one of John's tanks, The layup is quite nice...I am not yet at the point of installing....yet...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Jim Cattanach

Guy's, be careful when using down elevator mix at full throttle to counteract the pitch up. It works great at full speed, but requires care when taking off. I opened up the throttle to take off the other day & fed in up elevator to lift off, I then relaxed the elevator & the jet dived towards the ground due to the down elevator mix. I was lucky to save it.
I have removed this mix & altered the turbine thrust angle to try & solve the pitch up issue. I have placed washers under the two front turbine bolts, which has the effect of pitching the tail of the turbine slightly up. Hope this is the right way of curing this.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do any of you guys have a horizontal stabilizer not in use
that would be willing to sell?
Thanks a lot;

ENT( [email protected]).
Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 AM
sailing1

Jim, I am by no means an expert but I would be concerned about creating a hotspot in the tailpipe from changing the thrust angle of the turbine without an equal change in the pipe. Also, wouldn't the thrust angle change pretty much be neutralized by the time the exaust had travled the 22 inches or so down the pipe, assuming you didn't change the the pipe angle also.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM
hbutler

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

Guy's, be careful when using down elevator mix at full throttle to counteract the pitch up. It works great at full speed, but requires care when taking off. I opened up the throttle to take off the other day & fed in up elevator to lift off, I then relaxed the elevator & the jet dived towards the ground due to the down elevator mix. I was lucky to save it.
I have removed this mix & altered the turbine thrust angle to try & solve the pitch up issue. I have placed washers under the two front turbine bolts, which has the effect of pitching the tail of the turbine slightly up. Hope this is the right way of curing this.
Could u just have a takeoff flight mode that didn't include the mix?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

I have never noticed a pitch up at speed with either of mine with Titan power, one is a 4 year old kit and the other just a few months, no issues with pitch trim changing, is there supposed to be a problem with this?

Kevin
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: hbutler

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

Could u just have a takeoff flight mode that didn't include the mix?
Thats what I did with mine. I only have down Elevator and Full throttle when the Landing gear is down.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 AM
fast jets

Mine is two years old, I just have no trim changes what so ever. I am using a 1mm up or down trim ( can't remmeber which) with crow. No duel rates but some expo, the two hundered flights that I have on mine have been perfect. Trims have not been touched since the test flight and all it took was a couple of clicks down trim.

John
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Jim Cattanach

Thanks for the input guys. I remembered Dave Wilshere mentioning altering the thrust angle a small amount to counteract this pitch up at fast speeds. Hopefully, this change will actually fully centralise the turbine in the thrust tube, as no change in pitch should occur if it is perfect.
If this fails, I will use flight modes to avoid the mix affecting take off at full power.
Great flying jet, but still trying various CG's & flap settings to get the ideal landing setup. I think I am slightly tail heavy, as it's very twitchy on the elevator when landing, despite 50% expo & using the innermost servo arm holes possible.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Ok, 4 days into the build and the wing and stab are complete and ready to bolt on. The fuse has been started and the ducts have been cut down to make room for the smoke tanks. The inside of the fuse has been painted with grey epoxy paint and fitting out starts ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.