Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Global Jet Racks - New Release

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Global Jet Racks - New Release

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:01 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Global Jet Racks - New Release

Hi All,

We just made these new heavy duty jet racks out of 2 options of materials

1. high strength carbon steel with powder coating,

2. Stainless steel rack.

They will be available in December for USA members at this time only.

The idea is to make the rack easy to use for

1. Storing multiple jets of various size.
2. detachable base so that you can use it to haul your flight equipment to the flight line and back. Got that idea from the Willow run.
3. All are bolted together so they can be taken apart for transport.
4. Promotional price: $795.00 for powder coated carbon steel, and $895 for Stainless steel - Free shipping within USA.
5. Available in late December.

Let me know what you think, Any suggestion would be gladly welcome.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46198.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	1315652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54755.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	1315653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16746.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	1315654  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Global Jet Racks - New Release

ORIGINAL: mikedenilin

Let me know what you think, Any suggestion would be gladly welcome.

Mike

Find a way to make them for half that price.

BVM had a rack very similar to that but made from wood, it sold for around $800 I believe, there was an awful lot of "are you serious" type comments on the forum when it first came out. It didn't do well, can't say I've ever seen one and they didn't even last on the website 6 months I don't think. I'm not trying to be negative, but that's a huge amount of money for a "jet rack" although it looks much stronger obviously than BVM's did, I think you could build it out of mild steel, and it would be plenty strong for carrying RC jets. High carbon steel seems excessive. Just my opinion of course.
You can see a picture of the BVM one in this picture:
Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$800 for some bits of metal angle and 4 wheels[sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually looked at having something like this made - welded and powder coated and could not find anyone to do it for under 500-750.

So I made one out of wood and it works great. I made more of a platform on each level so the planes could rest with gear up as well and not drip on the plane below.

Nice idea, hope they sell.

Dave
Old 11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: ddennison

So I made one out of wood and it works great. I made more of a platform on each level so the planes could rest with gear up as well and not drip on the plane below.

Dave
Mike, the first time I saw one at Tam's I had to have one, so there are people out there that want them. I also paid something in the $800 dollar range. If they could be in the $200-300 range, I do think you couldn't keep them in stock. How about making them kinda how IKEA would, make us do some of the building. That might make it cheaper on your end.

My suggestions:

1. Like Dave said above, making a way so that the jets can sit on their fuse would be nice, especially if the wingspan is so big that the wings have to be taken off the model

2. Make the rail that the mains sit on wide enought so that some "wide" stanced jets can go on them like a Bandit, Ultra bandit or even an F-4 phantom.

I put soft surf racks on the ends of my rack so I could rest the jets on the rack with the gear tucked up. I don't have any pics right now, I'll see if I can take some when I get home.

Raf
Old 11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
mikedenilin

Hi All, Thank you for the suggestion. The price includes shipping. I will try to find ways to reduce the shipping cost and over all costs.

Hi Raffy and Dave

1. Like Dave said above, making a way so that the jets can sit on their fuse would be nice, especially if the wingspan is so big that the wings have to be taken off the model

- this is good suggestion. will work on some ideas.

2. Make the rail that the mains sit on wide enought so that some "wide" stanced jets can go on them like a Bandit, Ultra bandit or even an F-4 phantom.

- at this moment, it will fit our JL F-4 and MIG 15, pretty wide.

I put soft surf racks on the ends of my rack so I could rest the jets on the rack with the gear tucked up. I don't have any pics right now, I'll see if I can take some when I get home.

That will be great.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

why not just sell a "conversion" for the garden carts that are available at the local Home depot or lowes'? The garden carts run about $100, and with a little bit of work (looks like you already have the multi-jet holder seperate from the rolling part) the owner can just bolt the rack onto the cart and go. I bet you would sell alot more of these "conversions" at $200-300 than the entire cart for $800ish

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...05F&lpage=none
Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All, Thank you for the suggestion. The price includes shipping. I will try to find ways to reduce the shipping cost and over all costs.

Hi Raffy and Dave

- this is good suggestion. will work on some ideas.

2. Make the rail that the mains sit on wide enought so that some ''wide'' stanced jets can go on them like a Bandit, Ultra bandit or even an F-4 phantom.

- at this moment, it will fit our JL F-4 and MIG 15, pretty wide.

That will be great.

Mike

Offer them in a KD (knocked Down) version and shipping will be cut in half. Same with cost to manufacture.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 AM
mikedenilin

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

$200-$300 price range - 2 problems I will have - I won't be able to keep up with the demand. 2nd - unless Walmart or Home Depot want them and I can make 10K units of it, the price is hard to come down.

I might be able to offer just the rack and people can just put that on the cart, but the problem is that these off-shelf cart's wheel base is too narrow, making highly stacked rack unstable.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I will try to get a complete one within $500 range. That way, it has wide base for stable platform and racks designed just for jet.

This rack can be taken off for shipping via UPS. Will find out the cost of shipping later.

Mike

Name:	Wu61083.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1316338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61242.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1316339  
Old 11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
ravill

Mike,

Whatever price you get, it is a great idea.

Three jets is the perfect number and having an easy way to transport/store them is key.

Raf
Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I think these are awesome and better than other models out there already. For one, the rack detaches to keep your planes somewhere and then you can use the base to wheel your jets to the startup station. This is excellent for large flying fields. No other rack that I have seen can do this and they are charging the same price if not more, so people are already getting more for the money. I think at $500 these are a steal!!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
mikedenilin

Hi Raffy,

I know you are going to get one, paint it yellow again and call it Jet retrieval system, then attach it to your dirt bike.

I plan to add a detachable cradle so that we can mount the plane on so planes can sit on it with gear up.

Ian, $500 - will try to hit that goal

Mike
Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 PM
ravill

Hi Raffy,

I know you are going to get one, paint it yellow again and call it Jet retrieval system, then attach it to your dirt bike.

Mike

Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 AM
mikedenilin

Here are the dimensions of this jet rack,

Mike

Name:	Yw67039.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	1320372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10074.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	1320373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95910.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	1320374  
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ddennison

I actually looked at having something like this made - welded and powder coated and could not find anyone to do it for under 500-750.

Nice idea, hope they sell.

Dave

Hi Dave, will you please post some pics of yours.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful product Mike!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Dig it

Seriously?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
ddennison

Hi,
Mine is not fancy, still hoping to cut the lightening holes. I used 2 x 4' ply for the sides and shelves. I screwed and glued it and gave it some clear urethane..
It usually has three jets..I put smaller castors on it for now to get around the shop. It could have a larger axle/wheels too. I also had it mounted in the trailer for a while; was convenient to get around the trailer without racks.
I like the full rack, I can store them gear up or down.

Some pics: UB for scale

Dave

Name:	Ec88081.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1864302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20113.jpg
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1864303  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
ddennison

two more:

Name:	Ro42091.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1864304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41476.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1864305  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
ddennison

A few last thougths about this:

The wood is simple and can be mounted to anything easily. I cant remember what it cost but not too much, I got everything at HDepot. I built it in a weekend.

IF I did it again I would do the lightening holes in each piece before assembly. I can move it with my wife without the wheels but it could be a little lighter.

The solid surface is also nice for holding tools, charger, canopy - works like a small bench. I made wheel chocks, screwed to the surface, for the hornet - worked great.

Hope it helps,
Dave
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

I'll be building one of these out of 1" PVC pipe and some plywood. Should be under $100. Mine will hold two 2.5M Futuras and a 100cc Extra 300. Plan on having it roll in and out of the trailer and have it attach to the wall with E-Track.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 AM
jack744
My Feedback: (60)

Hope you can provide some good pictures and dimensions. I am thinking about either building a copy of the Global Jet Club one they are selling as I want to start using a trailer to transport my jets and don't want to have to break them down to transport them. Older I get the less I want to do!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexion

http://www.dexion.com

Name:	Jh16629.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1864422  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike,

I know this is an old thread that has been "brought back to life", but did you ever figure out a way to reduce the weight and cost/price?

I think I need one of these!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: jack744

Hope you can provide some good pictures and dimensions. I am thinking about either building a copy of the Global Jet Club one they are selling as I want to start using a trailer to transport my jets and don't want to have to break them down to transport them. Older I get the less I want to do!
Wilco. No reason not to post a few pictures, cost of materials and gain ideas from the group. My design isn't quite finalized. Figuring out how to put fuselages in cradles, three high, with wing and stab bags on either side...all secure.

Biggest challenge is what kind of foam or padding to use in the cradle that won't scratch the composite/painted surfaces of the Futuras.

Second challenge is how to "strap" them down, so they don't move during trailering. I drive some distances, so I'm trying to avoid "rub marks" from the vibration of long road trips.

Third challenge is securing the rack in the trailer in a quick/simple release system, so the whole rack can be rolled into the trailer, secured, then rolled back out at the flying field for access to the aircraft and the rest of the trailer. E-track was my first thought on this.

PVC pipe was my material of choice for the framework because it would be light, simple to assemble/glue and not need paint. I can attach wheels to the bottom and some 3/8" plywood on the horizontal (with doublers in places if needed for tie-downs) to keep it light.

The Dexion looks workable if it is available in your area. I might consider it. Might take a heavy duty saw to cut the Dexion, where as PVC is quite easy to cut with more common saws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.