Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Latest on Weatronics 2.4 GHz?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Latest on Weatronics 2.4 GHz?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Latest on Weatronics 2.4 GHz?

Hi guys,

I lost another plane the other day, possible radio (link?) failure but who knows. I really need telemetry in my future, this "not knowing" is the worst.

So the question is, what is the state of development of the large (12 channel, multiple servo output) Weatronics unit? I am less interested with the gyro equipped versions but it is always good to know the latest. Also, have they had very many software updates yet (not the PC software but the transmitter/receiver firmware)?

The stability of their software is key in my mind

I am particularly interested in the Futaba/Robbe system.

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-24-2009, 06:35 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Latest on Weatronics 2.4 GHz?

Matt,
I have 23 flights on my Micro 12Ch receiver in a glow powered test airplane. Perfect so far. I am going to send my last flight from earlier today to OLnico and ask for his analysis of this flight. I want to move it to my two turbine power models as soon as I am confindent of this new equipment.

Maybe David Gladwin will give us a current status of his usage.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I have had great success on many flights with the Micro 12 in my BobCat not a single problem, no failsafe no holds.

I have a 12-30 Gyro 111 plus GPS in my PST Reaction.

I had three great flights with perfect operation, shown on the log files. After the third flight I made some adjustments via the laptop. For reasons unknown but believed to be the erratic mouse behaviour of the Dell Mini, (I normally use a separate mouse because of this but not at the field) during adjustment somehow the gear was selected onto the elevator matrix. After take off selecting gear up gave full up elevator, the engine was shut down and the model hard landed fully stalled with some wing damage.

A thorough examination of the log files shows perfect operation but with gear assigned to the elevator matrix. Without this facility I would have no clue as the cause of the problem. Clicking on the matrix to remove this assignment was entirely normal.

I have spent a great deal of time before installation and since with this unit and it has behaved flawlessly. I have examined over 100 log files created during exploration of the unit, no hint of a problem, so I am convinced the problem was caused by a programming error by ME.

The Reaction is now repaired and will fly again soon with the DR 12-30 back in it.

If I have learned anything from this it is this:

1. When programming a new model ALWAYS make sure that the receiver is returned to factory status, ALL settings are cleared it is just possible I had left something in the programming when experimenting with the unit which became activated after I selected STORE to the new settings.
2. Alwyas do a FULL control check after making ANY adjustments operting any and ALL controls which will be used in flight. I just did a normal full, free and correct sense of the flying controls WITHOUT checking flap and gear operation.

New firmware is now available for all Weatronics units and this will be loaded before further flying.

The DR will be flown in the Reaction and , as I am sure will happen, perfect operation is again proven I will be upgrading several of my models, two AW Hawks, FC Mig 29 and Skygate Hawk to this 2.4 receiver type . The programming facility is superb, if complex, and the data recording is invaluable.

That said I was flying my Hawk on an original 36 MHz Dual Receiver last week, again performance was flawless, not a single failsafe frame.

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Robrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For further reasurance I flew my new Weatronic Micro 12 2.4 equiped Bobcat last weekend with complete success. It was reassuring to view the log files afterwards to see just how secure the RF link is with this system, I had not realised just how much info is packed into every recorded second of data.

Rob.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Following up my post before Robs.

The accident to my Reaction was caused by the gear channel becoming mixed to the elevator channel after making an adjustment to the throttle failsafe.

I have spent quite some time trying to reproduce this fault, today it happened and its nothing to do with the Weatronics system, but a computer problem.

I bought a new Dell mini computer specifically to take to the field to analyse data and make adjustments to the software if needed. I have found that on the Mini, which has a touchpad which includes the left/right buttons, just the very lightest touch in the CENTER of the touchpad acts like a left mouse click. The cursor can be quite erratic (enough to have made me buy a radio mouse even before this incident) and I found that I had accidently assigned a couple of servos to odd channels during my time today experimenting with the system.

The Reaction is now repaired and I am confident enough to fly it again with the Weatronics receiver back in control, just won't be using the Mini for adjustments !!

I am 99.9 % certain that is what happened three weeks ago, the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up and caused the accident.

So, if you use or buy a Dell Mini beware of this problem !

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Robrow

David, it's reassuring to hear your accident was nothing to do with the Wea system.....just a good old H.F. problem.

On examining the log files from my first 3 flights with the Bobcat it's interesting to see how the reception strength at both the Rx and Tx varies for both antenna depending on a/c orientation. I was interested to see how/if this affected system performance, in terms of lost frames there are maybe a handful in three 8 minute flights but only from either one Rx or t'other. So that's 1 occasional frame in the 200 both Rx's have available every second! Controlling Rx remained the same all the time with no failsafe. I'm not sure what reception degredation level will trigger the other Rx into control? I am quite restricted for Rx antenna placement so will just stick with what I have unless you think it could be better.

Rob.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to fly my test airplane yesterday with the Weatronic 12ch Micro and found the elevator channel reversed. I was shocked at first then I remembered I was demoing the system to a friend on Thanksgiving day and showed him how to reverse servos and must have accidently left the elevator reversed.

All flying yesterday were perfect. Glad I checked the controls before take off.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Robrow

Yes, as you did, the basics should always be carried out....full and free movement in correct sense....would have saved a lot of aircraft.

Rob.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
MLJETS

Weatronic Micro 12 with power box evolution  works perfect on my Scorpion with Simjet 3000 on board .
Marc