Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR12X or FUTABA 14MZ

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR12X or FUTABA 14MZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
LarsL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR12X or FUTABA 14MZ

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

ORIGINAL: bcovish

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

The 12X also has a 13-step process to charge the battery. The 14MZ has a 1-step process.

I don't understand this statement.

From post #25
Go to the Horizon website and go to ''Support'' on the 12X page. It describes a 13-step process to charge the batteries.

Also, both 12FG and 12Z have 12 fully proportional channels and 2 ''switched'' channels (14 total channels). That's a step above the 12X IMHO. I know it sounds limited, but you can put smoke channels or your kill switch on there.

The 14MZ is above and beyond the 12's in programming features. If nothing else, it sets up curved-mixes automatically. An example: You can set up the Tx to automatically create knife-edge mixing at several throttle settings for both rudder-aileron and rudder-elevator. I think that that's a cool feature. Necessary? Nope...but man, I would NOT mind that feature on my transmitter.

I think all the radios that have been mentioned are first rate and it probably comes down to most of the intelligent factors that have been raised (what one has experience with, how the radio feels, cost, etc.).

The reference above to Horizon's 12X "Support" page and its 13-step process to charge batteries is preposterous. Everyone please do go to the Horizon site and read it because it will be very clear that to charge the 12X as with any other radio and there are no 13 steps to it. The "steps" mentioned on the page include the usual safety notations about check for hot batteries, check the voltage after charge, and the like.

Lars
Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 PM
petera38

Hi all,
This might be the wrong forum...but I´ll give it a try.
I have just bought a JR 12X set! Problem is that I ignored that it was a Mode 1 transmitter! (i.e. a left hand transmitter with throttle stick to the right)Thought it was just like in the "good" old days when you could choose which of the 4 modes you wanted your transmitter to be on...and then you fixed it your self!
On the JR 12X - the trim for the throttle is analog and not digital and placed on the right as well as the stick. Now my question is: Is it possible to convert it into a "normal" mode where the throttle is on the left including the trim?
Pete
Old 12-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Pete

The main dealer from where you bought it should be able to change it...but I would sell what you have to someone with the correct mode and buy again!

You bought the right radio

Dw
Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM
bang68

Hi !

Peter - sorry about the wrong mode transmitter but it is the right type of radio

Have just bought one at Motors & Rotors after 10 year with Futaba !

I would say I have never had problems with Futaba, but it is like in a marriage - sometimes you need to try something different

My own words from my own eyes are if you want fancy coulour screen buy a MAC, if you want sound buy BOSE and if you need 14 ch your plane is too big anyway

Peter
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM
petera38

Hi Dave,

Bought it from Sandor/Digitech...it was a special deal at a irresistible low price! So I hope that he´ll be able to either take it back or send it in for a conversion??
If I sold it .. I would have to buy a new set at the ordinary price.... []

PS: I´m glad to hear that others than myself fancy the JR radio!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 AM
petera38

Hi Peter,

It´s comforting, however, to know that I chose the right radio
I also changed from Futaba to JR...and I have never had any reason to regret it!
...and I don´t think I´ll ever need more than 12 channels......
Pete
Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: cmjets
And another very important question.- Is same thing to buy it in USA or Europe ???
It appears that the 12 and 14 ch Futaba transmitters are [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7204839/tm.htm]region coded[/link]. As far as i know JR transmitter do not have this feauture ;-).
Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
petera38

A happy New Year to you all,

Problem solved...I just return the radio to Digitech ...I like to buy my stuff from Sandor, never experienced any problems problems trading with him! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Pete
Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello and happy new year:

Two questions:

What happen if I to buy the radio in USA and the receivers in Europe ??? or on the contrary.

It is possible in the mode 2 change to mode 4 ? I fly with the ailerons in the left hand.

Many thanks in advance.

Carlos.

http://cmjets.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The US output from the Tx is 100Mwt the European approved output is 10Mwt's so the US Tx's are illegal in Europe, I don't think the Rx knows the difference, but regional coding on the Tx's is also a problem with Futaba, if you buy the whole lot from Hong Kong they will put a CE mark on the Tx and no one will know the difference, not that I am saying you should do this as I am sure you are a responsible person and abide by all the European directives.

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK, the transmitting power limit in Europe besides some countries like France is 100 mW. My Spektrum draws about 75 mA. I believe the units in the U.S. may have more than 100, but it is not that simple to determine, as some systems like FASST hop constantly and Spektrum doesn't. The limit is an average of something I dont really understand. But what I do understand, is that the range really doesnt depend solely on pure transmitting power. Sometimes the eyesight and its limitations appear first...
TP.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

The US output from the Tx is 100Mwt the European approved output is 10Mwt's so the US Tx's are illegal in Europe, I don't think the Rx knows the difference, but regional coding on the Tx's is also a problem with Futaba, if you buy the whole lot from Hong Kong they will put a CE mark on the Tx and no one will know the difference, not that I am saying you should do this as I am sure you are a responsible person and abide by all the European directives.

Mike
Wrong my friend.
Europe and UK is 100mw
France has a frequency spread reduction.

Paul
Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
BaldEagel

Paul

Then it must be 100mW in Europe and 500mW in the US? one thing for sure they legislated differently.

Mike
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
cmjets

Hello again:

but is possible change from mode 2 to mode 4 ???

Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM
cmjets

???
Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 PM
hippo-1216

Im looking in to getting a new radio I fly with JR but now but i like the features of the 14mz But does any one know if futaba is comong out with a new 14mz one that is only 2.4 . I do not want to spend that much money only to find out a new one is about to come out. Hope some one might have the answer thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

I have had a 14mz since day one 5+ years and every time a new update comes out, you have a new radio. It's a fantastic radio and I believe you can buy it with the 2.4 module only. Mine originally had the 72 mod. so when the fasst came out I bought the Fasst mod. downloaded the Fasst update and now it's 2.4 or 72, it knows which module you have plugged in the back.

Jed
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: apereira

On the 13 steps to charge the radio, well I do not have a clue where is that coming from as it is not in the manual, and as the 10X I just plug it and charge it, battery inside or outside of the Tx.
**QUOTE from the site**.... "To the charge 12X battery, follow the steps below"

Here's the 13 easy steps each time you charge.... straight from JR's site.

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Sup...ProdID=JRP1200
Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cmjets

Hello and happy new year:

Two questions:

What happen if I to buy the radio in USA and the receivers in Europe ??? or on the contrary.

It is possible in the mode 2 change to mode 4 ? I fly with the ailerons in the left hand.

Many thanks in advance.

Carlos.

Hi,
I do not recommend to buy a 14MZ in US and use it in Europe because the transmitter is region coded and so are theTM-14 14-Channel Module for the transmitter. The Futaba recievers are not region coded. It is possible to change between region codes for example from US to Europe, but the bad thing is Futaba Service centers in Europe may refuse to service a 14MZ bought in US (or other place then Europe). So You may need to send it to US to get it serviced.I have a 14MZ myself and have switched region code between US and Europe (not that difficult with right utilites).
If a 14MZis CElabled when bought in US it is also approved to use inEurope.
I suppose You can change modes on the sticks by yourself, it is in software, and Adjustment of Throttle Stick (Ratchet System) is described in the 14MZ manual but you need to recalibrate the sticks and that is probably best done by a Futaba service center. You also have to adjust the sticksend adjustment so you get full movement up-down on new elevator stick, and if one want the limit on throttle stick movement again on the stick that now is throttle stick that has do be done.

/Bo
Old 08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
rick839

Well gents, I have to post that I have sold my DSX12/12x and I'm in the process of purchasing a 14MZ.

To be fair I have been disappointed with the DSX12 from day one and as a die hard JR fan I feel that if the DSX12 is the best that JR can do then it's time for me to change to Futaba.

I have a feeling that I'm not going to be disappointed and I'm sure that I will never look back....!!!

You may be asking why I'm disappointed:-

1. No touch screen - I liked the touch screen that my 10X had!
2. I don't like the 'Vanity' carry case with the silly felt covered tray that the Tx velcros to. You have to remove the tray if you want to get to anything else! Not exactly well thought out....
3. Flight mode switch assignability is very limited!
4. Why do you have to recycle the power to enter the main menu, i.e. to set up the throttle trim you have to switch off, enter the main menu(trim), adjust the throttle trim % and then start the model etc, etc.
5. The magnesium shell/chassis is the same as the 10X which is now very old - surely as JR's flagship they could have designed something new.
6. Why did I have to buy a neckstrap balancer with a top of the range dedicated 2.4 set.
7. No software updates.
8. No SD memory card to store your model set-up/memory on.
9. Why is the battery a NiMh in this day and age - JR also tell you that your warranty is void if you use a 3 cell LiPo...!!!
10. It would be nice to have EPA for each channel on each flight mode.
11. Programming in general is very limited - only 2 servos per aileron without setting up further mixes.
12. I don't like the way you have to reset the countdown timer.
13. The DSSS is susceptible to interference especially if it picks 2 channels that are very close to each other.
14. As market leaders you would have thought that they would have been at the forefront of R&D and would have developed their own system as opposed to buying into Spaktrums!
15. I actually think that my 10X has more appealing looks.
16. Overall I think that the 12X was developed with absolutely minimal investment of time and money by JR.

Good buy JR!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
leopaul

Too many costly crash with Spectrum-JR radio....They released on the market a non-ready product..Added 1-2-3-4 satellites receiver to be reliable, carbon fiber compatible receiver etc...Futaba use and industrial rf link that was tested many, many years ago...I personally use the 12FG wich to me is the best price to feature radio. I just updated the software 2 weeks aga with many, many new features all from customer feedback. My only negative point on this radio is the special format 7.2v nimh battery....And now, with their S-Bus technology they are far in advance...I'm using it on my heli with the new GY711 gyro, also on S-Bus!! Receiver were expensive for small airplane or foamy but HK now sell compatible receiver, orange brand, 8chanels for 29$
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 AM
rick839

Yee-Ha,

I'm picking up my 14MZ today
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: leopaul

My only negative point on this radio is the special format 7.2v nimh battery.... but HK now sell compatible receiver, orange brand, 8chanels for 29$
Don't tell anyone, but I use a two cell LiPo in my 12FG.

Do you have a link to the cheap Rx's?

Mike
Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Well here we go again; this discussion will go on forever just like Mercedes Benz vs. BMW.

I am sure the 14MZ is an unbelievable radio BUT since I have no experience at all with Futaba and FASST I am NOT going to comment or belittle it.

As for JR and the 12X I have both transmitters: The PCM 12Xmv and the DSX12, and the new cases from JR are actually ideal as it fits both TX’s. Also the middle section houses my neck strap and Oakley’s.

As for reliability I am flying several Jets (some of which are worth over 30K), and a couple of Turbine Helicopters (again worth about 25K each), on JR equipment (with Spektrum Technology), and to date I have NOT had ONE Frame Loss. Do you really think I would use JR equipment if it wasn't completely solid and reliable!!!

Therefore in my opinion those guys who are having problems, perhaps it may be down to Preparation, Installation, Programming, Set-up, and Finger Trouble.

The only change I have done is convert the TX packs to Sanyo Eneloops.

DT

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84565.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1486982  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

these are funny, and yea, its marketing , but the points made are irrefutable .... ( and yea, i have used both ) ... in fact, as for servos, i still almost exclusively use JR .... JR is better in some areas, and sucks at others .. that goes for a lot of manufacturers and the varying product lines they develop .. on 72, I flew all my big n fast stuff on JR .. with the 2.4 technology, i would not touch JR's system if it was free ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRefjqPuf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8fSf4pa_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJxV_q6qPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FazZH42mJPg

~V~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.