Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

To powerbox or NOT?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

To powerbox or NOT?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To powerbox or NOT?

I am getting ready to start a build with a SM L-39. I have been looking at the Powerbox 40/24 with the switch.

I know nothing about these units and have seen them in many jets. What is the advantage with the Powerbox. This L-39 will be my 5th jet I have built. In all 4 of my other jets I have used Electro Dynamic battery backer systems.

Is it worth going with the Powerbox? or just stay with Electro Dynamics Battery backer system. But let me say I have Never had any issues with the Battery Backer.

and if it matters the batteries I will be using will be from Electro Dynamics and will be NIMH packs.

Thanks for the help

Mark
Old 12-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts
Default RE: To powerbox or NOT?

Mark

Yes, I would fit one. The redundancy is great and 100% true, dual everything (many are not) The main thing for you is the signal boost, all PB units have ampfilication on every servo socket. Any leads longer than 36" I want to boost.
Also if a servo goes bad and "smokes" only this socket is affected.
I would go for the Evolution, this will give you the chance to go Li-Po at a later date, or different model.

Dave Wilshere
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=438

cant aford to crush plnes becouse of cheap copies[sm=punching.gif].only powerbox now[sm=thumbup.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60790.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1332526  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Sonicwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave Wilshere,

Intresting info there, ive been flying a Rookie 11 with Powerbox Sensor switch/reg set and twin li pos, did buy a PB Evolution for it, but never fitted...

Just assembling a PST Reaction, and have a PB Gemini set for it... What do you think of the Gemini unit for this plane ??? Over the new Evolution unit...

Also looking for thoughts on batterys, i plan to run Duralite LI ON for rx, and Duralite LI Manganise on the Jetcat, now can i bury these in the nose, and slow charge in the model ???
Turbine is a new 120SX...

Your thoughts and help would be greatly appriciated...

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Dave Wilshere
The Duralite Power Box, PPD-80SC12, is this PB compatible with 2.4, or do you have to send them back to Germany for the upgrade.
Rcpete

Name:	Us53059.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1332550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60343.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1332551  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Mark,

Check out what Smart-fly has to offer. Similar functionality for $169.95 Power Expander 12 without ignition cutoff.

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm

Bob Michaud

P.S. This amplifies the Servo signal voltage to 5V.
I have one in my Elan with Futaba 2.4 and Jetronics Retract and Brake valves. Use 2 A123 packs. Works Great
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Meesh

Mark,

Check out what Smart-fly has to offer. Similar functionality for $169.95 Power Expander 12 without ignition cutoff.
I agree I have one in my boomer, had one in the flash, and I am putting another one
in my new flash.I also use their flag and pin switch, if the switch fails it wii fail in the on
posistion. I use 2 - A123's with no problems at all
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Dave Wilshere

The Gemini is a 10A version of the Sensor switch. In England we have sold 100's of Sensor switches for use in Jets, they give 5A constant, enough for a Super Bandit etc. I've had one in my Flash since 2006, faultless.
The reason the Gemini is a different confiuration is it was designed with Helicopters in mind, that is why there is a lower out put central lead for Tail servo control (helicopter tail servos running 5.9v get too hot with the constant movement) We use the Gemini in things like the Carden YAK 54 DA 50. This is mainly for weight saving, we run the ignition off the gyro output 5.3v and servos off the 5.9v twin outputs. Two 2000 Li-Po packs give a days flying!

Nothing wrong with using the Gemini in bigger jets, just normally the leads are longer so I like to use the Evolution with the amp signal. My CARF Hawk has one. I like Li-Po cells, I use them in all my models and have 500+ in my workshop...just sitting!
You can use Li-Ion, no problem if they are good quality cells.
I'd be happy using the Gemini is a Reaction, if it needs weight up front as I think it does I would fit the Evolution...because it is better than just a switch.

Pete

All Powerbox units ever made are fine with 2.4 Ghz. The 2.4 stickers on the box were done to stop people asking whether it was OK...but we never really covered the earlier stuff, which is also fine.
There is a question over Futaba 2.4 with the low control voltage causing some issues, I don't have anything to do with Futaba, so can't really comment and 90% of my customers are JR/Spektrum. If you have a specific use with Futaba, give me the Rx type and I'll check with Emmerich as to what's what. His son flys Fut.

Dave
Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

The Gemini is a 10A version of the Sensor switch. In England we have sold 100's of Sensor switches for use in Jets, they give 5A constant, enough for a Super Bandit etc. I've had one in my Flash since 2006, faultless.
The reason the Gemini is a different confiuration is it was designed with Helicopters in mind, that is why there is a lower out put central lead for Tail servo control (helicopter tail servos running 5.9v get too hot with the constant movement) We use the Gemini in things like the Carden YAK 54 DA 50. This is mainly for weight saving, we run the ignition off the gyro output 5.3v and servos off the 5.9v twin outputs. Two 2000 Li-Po packs give a days flying!

Nothing wrong with using the Gemini in bigger jets, just normally the leads are longer so I like to use the Evolution with the amp signal. My CARF Hawk has one. I like Li-Po cells, I use them in all my models and have 500+ in my workshop...just sitting!
You can use Li-Ion, no problem if they are good quality cells.
I'd be happy using the Gemini is a Reaction, if it needs weight up front as I think it does I would fit the Evolution...because it is better than just a switch.

Pete

All Powerbox units ever made are fine with 2.4 Ghz. The 2.4 stickers on the box were done to stop people asking whether it was OK...but we never really covered the earlier stuff, which is also fine.
There is a question over Futaba 2.4 with the low control voltage causing some issues, I don't have anything to do with Futaba, so can't really comment and 90% of my customers are JR/Spektrum. If you have a specific use with Futaba, give me the Rx type and I'll check with Emmerich as to what's what. His son flys Fut.

Dave
Hi Dave:

My Powerbox is a 40/16 Evolution and the box has the 2.4Ghz ready sticker. My receiver is a Futaba R6014FS with the white dot in front of the case. Should I expect any issue? I am going to use two Li Po 2200 mAH 7.4 V batteries for the receiver, connected to the powerbox.

BRG
Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the Orbit PowerJack for the HS6014 Power regulation to the Rx and boosted signal for the servo's, it has two power inputs from MPX plugs and you can use any type of switch, I use a pair of Fromeco Kodiak switches supplied from two 2 call A123's, never had a problem of any kind from any voltage.

Mike
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Hi Dave:

My Powerbox is a 40/16 Evolution and the box has the 2.4Ghz ready sticker. My receiver is a Futaba R6014FS with the white dot in front of the case. Should I expect any issue? I am going to use two Li Po 2200 mAH 7.4 V batteries for the receiver, connected to the powerbox.

BRG

No problems at all. I presume it's the latest plastic case 6 control channel Evolution, these are all with the latest set up.
Your two batteries should give 8-10 flights with 9-10 digital servos/electronic valves.

regards

Dave

We have some of the Orbit powerjack units coming, but Its a different thing all together. With a Powerbox you have the same result, with regulators etc.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

Hi Dave:

BRG

No problems at all. I presume it's the latest plastic case 6 control channel Evolution, these are all with the latest set up.
Your two batteries should give 8-10 flights with 9-10 digital servos/electronic valves.

regards

Dave

We have some of the Orbit powerjack units coming, but Its a different thing all together. With a Powerbox you have the same result, with regulators etc.
Thanks Dave, Although my Powerbox Evolution 40/16 has only 5 control channel. Not 6.

Brg
Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Dave Wilshere

OK, yours is an older "open" board version, Should be fine but I'll double check with Emmerich

Dave
Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
BaldEagel

Dave is right of course the Orbit PowerJack is a totaly different thing it has two power regulators for the Rx at 5 volts so you can use two Lipo's or whatever up to 8.4Volts to power the Rx the servo power voltage is regulated to 5volts and signal voltage is upped to 5volts on all 14 outputs, and all for under 100Eu.

Mike
Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
erazz

I'll voice an unpopular opinion.

PB's sure are nice to have but I doubt that they increase the safety by any meaningful factor compared to a two battery-two switch system. PB's don't replace a pre-flight check and good maintenance to your batteries.

I'm not saying that they're a waste of money, far from it. They're very good value. It's just that IMHO there are better places to spend that money.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM
BaldEagel

erazz

Could not agree more, I think they are mostly there for the bling factor, they do nothing extra that can not be done in a good radio set and the Orbit PowerJack, just increase the amount of things to go wrong inside the airframe.

Mike
Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

OK, yours is an older "open" board version, Should be fine but I'll double check with Emmerich

Dave
Yes, is an open board version

Please keep me updated
BRG
Old 12-12-2009, 06:13 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Please add me to that info list........

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I think I have made my choice. I will skip the Powerbox set up and stay with the proven system I have been using for almost 6 years. I have in all my large aircraft and jets, the Electro Dynamics battery backer system. After 100's of flights I never had a problem.

Thanks for ALL the input and replies.......

Thanks

mark
Old 12-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Dave Wilshere

I am 100% sure the Powerbox is more reliable than any system I've seen, if you can't see that I can't help you...
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM
BaldEagel

Having no powerbox at all is 100% guaranteed the most reliable way to ensure it does not fail.

Ask Quique about his Phython.

Mike
Old 12-13-2009, 04:25 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if the plane does matter and the how good pilot you are why dont you ask me about my ultimate?
same setup

DA 150cc 15 hitec s 7955 royal unit on futaba faast 2.4 on two powerbox lipos
with estimate 1000flites.

...come on Mike

Name:	Cz79752.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1333281  
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 AM
molo_30

Dave, have you actually tested the powerbox against the other brands out there to make that statement?

Thats a big call is all. I use Smart-fly and have never had an issue with them.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

if the plane does matter and the how good pilot you are why dont you ask me about my ultimate?
same setup

DA 150cc 15 hitec s 7955 royal unit on futaba faast 2.4 on two powerbox lipos
with estimate 1000flites.

...come on Mike
DelGatoGrande

Ask Quique about his Python, I think it was 8 JR8611's a Power box Royal and only 6 flights before it failed, post flight investigation showed the Powerbox was unable to cope with the Amps being drawn from it which burnt it out and dropped the voltage under the Spektrum Borwn out threashold at that point the sky fell in and so did the Python.

Mike
Old 12-13-2009, 05:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

I test everything we sell. I've not flown some of the other products offered, but I have looked into them (circuits etc) and seen what goes on at meetings that I visit all over the world. I've seen things sold as the latest and greatest, which I'd decided were flawed and the sheep bought them. These things have crashed models and many are not being used now...
Most systems on the market are more reliable than a common "scraper" switch, but I don't think they are as good as powerbox. I'm one person, but I have tens of thousands of customers who we talk to and I listen. We have been selling PB products for years and other than "user" related missunderstanding/use they are in the 99.9% reliability. I'm sure that there are other devices out there that are good, but I'll say if I had spent a year or two years of my life building a special scale model I would put Powerbox products in it.
Those who know me and come to me for advice know what that means.

I feel no need to say anything more on this thread.

Dave Wilshere

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.