Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Assan AG63 Brake and Steering Gyro FRUSTRATION!!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Assan AG63 Brake and Steering Gyro FRUSTRATION!!!

Old 06-15-2021, 04:53 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Assan AG63 Brake and Steering Gyro FRUSTRATION!!!

I have one of these set up correctly in a turbine jet from earlier this year so I have been through this process before.

I have installed another AG63 in a different jet thinking it would go as well as the one previously mentioned. I have been trying most of the day to get this one set up but having no luck at all.

The instructions say that, when powered up, the red and blue lights will both blink rapidly in unison and they do just that. When they stop blinking rapidly, they then blink slowly, also in unison. Once that starts, the instructions say to move the rudder stick rapidly and hold to the left. Did that a multitude of times but the lights continue to blink slowly in unison! They do not go into the alternating blink sequence mentioned in the instructions.

The instructions also never cover a situation where they blink slowly in unison.

The instructions also say to check that the steering is going the correct way but there is no steering at all. Retracts work normally. Nose steering works perfectly if it's not connected through the AG-63.

I have double, triple, quadruple checked to make sure the wiring is connected correctly. I even went as far as connecting everything to another new AG63 but it produced the same result.

Radio is a Jeti DS-16 using a 12 channel Jeti Assist receiver. AG-63 has it's own 2S Lipo battery for power.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Old 06-15-2021, 07:15 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have 1 minute after power on to initialize the AG63 or you get to start over.

You're using the initialize method listed for newer AG63's. I never got that to work either. But the old method did work.

So, gear switch down, steering travel set to +/- 100% or so and within 1 minute of start up - both lights blinking rapidly, hold full left rudder and apply full brakes at least 3 times quickly. Brakes back to off and hold the rudder until the blue light is solid. The red light will blink slowly. That should do it.

You might want to disable Assist on the steering channel.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:25 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you start, here are a few basics,
1. You can't have any Trim to center your nose gear steering.
2. The ATV or Travel adjust for the Steering and Retracts must be at 100%
3. Get the radio working in the right direction as far as retracts and steering go, before you start programming.

Here is my Instructional video on how to program the AG-63

Ralph
Global Jet Flight Team.
The following users liked this post:
Auburn02 (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 04:59 AM
Steve Collins

I found the issue. The AG63 did not like the gear in/gear out with the JP gear controller. Once I ran the gear controller direct to the receiver the AG63 worked as it should.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:07 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

If you bypass the Ag63 with your gear you lose the nose gear centering feature when you cycle the gear

Last edited by Bob_B; 06-16-2021 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:03 PM
Steve Collins

It would not work with that gear controller so I had no other option but to bypass the AG63.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 AM
Thud_Driver

Curious as to which JP gear controller you're using as I've not had trouble in that respect. I've pretty much used all the JP controllers with the AG63 as well as Pilot and HSD gear controllers.

If you're running a R3 or other backup receiver or even an Rsat900 you could try running a separate gear channel to the AG63 from one of those.

If it's the one in the photo, I did have some issues until I remembered to set it to the correct voltage.

Last edited by Thud_Driver; 06-17-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Steve Collins

Only running a single Jeti Assist 12 channel receiver. This is the brake controller in question:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_161702[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	2270471  
Old 06-17-2021, 02:20 PM
Thud_Driver

That style JP gear controller usually comes in a metal case. As least the ones I've used did and have been ok with the AG63. So, I don't know...
Old 06-17-2021, 02:34 PM
Steve Collins

All I know is that nothing I tried worked at all as long as the gear in/gear out cables went through the AG63. Once they were disconnected, the AG63 started working just fine.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:31 AM
Bob_B

Possibly having the doors controlled by the gear controller creates the issue?
Old 06-18-2021, 01:34 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by Thud_Driver
That style JP gear controller usually comes in a metal case. As least the ones I've used did and have been ok with the AG63. So, I don't know...
Thud, did you setup include have doors controlled by the gear controller?
Old 06-18-2021, 01:41 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by Turbulence
Before you start, here are a few basics,
1. You can't have any Trim to center your nose gear steering.
2. The ATV or Travel adjust for the Steering and Retracts must be at 100%
3. Get the radio working in the right direction as far as retracts and steering go, before you start programming.

Here is my Instructional video on how to program the AG-63
AG63 Gyro Assisted Brake Controller - YouTube

Ralph
Global Jet Flight Team.
Ralph it might be a good idea to update your instructions. I installed one of these units in a jet I had been flying and had some issues during the setup that I eventually sorted out.

If any trim or sub trim impacts the controller I would suggest a checklist prior to install that mention this.

Are there any other default settings that should be established prior to installing the AG63?

Love this unit!
Bob
Old 06-18-2021, 05:14 AM
Steve Collins

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Possibly having the doors controlled by the gear controller creates the issue?
I don't know. I have another Mini Avanti to setup soon with the AG63. On this one I will try it without having the doors sequenced by the gear controller. They can be sequenced using the Jeti sequencer in the transmitter.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Thud_Driver

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Thud, did you setup include have doors controlled by the gear controller?
Yes, on multiple aircraft and different types of JP controllers. Both Jeti and JR 28X systems.

On one jet, using the JP multifunction gear controller pictured above & a Jeti radio, we have had a main gear door cycle when the brakes are on. This was traced to the output for the left brake on the AG63. Disconnecting the plug for the left brake makes the issue go away. Not seen that on any other jet so that particular AG63 probably is bad. But other than that it works fine.

On the heavier jets, say around 35 lbs or so, there may not be as much braking power as you might like so I've tapped off the 3S ECU battery for those.

As far as sub trim goes, I've gotten away with using quite a bit and still have it work ok. Plus I've been able to initialize with around +/- 75% throw.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Thud_Driver
.... On the heavier jets, say around 35 lbs or so, there may not be as much braking power as you might like so I've tapped off the 3S ECU battery for those.
Thud,
I was looking at using an AG63 on my F-16XL to get better braking voltage to the brakes by tapping directly off a 3S flight battery. I am assuming that the battery power input to the AG63 just runs just to the magnetic brakes and that the electronics and gyro get power from the receiver bus at a lower voltage. Is this correct? The specs say you can connect up to 14S on the controller. Is the output regulated to the brakes and if so what is the output voltage?

My question is will the JP brakes give more braking power with a 3S vs 2S. My F-16 XL brakes are pretty poor on 2S and its probably around 40 lbs landing.
Thanks
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 06-18-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Thud_Driver

The AG63 limits the output to a max of 12v or less. The front end runs on receiver voltage. The brakes themselves are powered by the battery hooked to the power lead.

You'll want to run the heavier jets on 3S for better braking power. For Mike Lin's jets at Global Jet Club I tap into the 3S ECU (LIPO or LIFE) battery by plugging into the balance lead.

I made up a circuit board and simple high side FET switch that controls the brake power such that receiver power turns it on or off.. Does not require a channel, just power from the Rx.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Viper1GJ

Thanks Thud got the info. That's what I was planning to do.
Gary
Old 07-01-2021, 05:54 PM
Viper1GJ

AG63 installed in F-16XL

I got this guy installed in my F-16XL today. Seems to work well with roll testing on the shop floor. Steering is perfectly straight even though I sure my nose wheel was not exactly centered when I started.

The only issue I had was with programming after the install. The instructions said to make sure the steering was working in the correct direction before doing the teach procedure with the left steering and brake application. I could not get any steering to work at all at. I rechecked all connections and tried bypassing the gear retract input. Still nothing. So I went ahead and tried to program the AG63 with the stick and brake inputs and bingo. It clicked in and started working. My guess is that if it is the very first time from the factory the steering may not work. After it is taught the first time it will pass the steering command to the servo and that may be backwards in a new install. I don't know but it seems to be working now.

The brakes seem to be on/off but my friend Josh says they are pulsed when moving and to just use a straight line curve for brake function. We will see.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:01 PM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am doing my 1st install on one of these in an Avanti XS. I have removed any sub trims and set ATV's to 100%. It seemed to program ok (after reversing the LG switch). The brakes and LED's function per the instructions.
The nose wheel steering works correctly with my TX, BUT, when I check the gyro function by moving the nose of the aircraft to the right, the nose steering tries to correct by steering right instead of left and vice-versa.
I have the gyro mounted flat on the servo tray.
Anyone else seen this? I've tried recalibrating several times with no change in this function.

Jim
Old 07-21-2021, 08:31 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the AG-63 mounted already, then you turn on the receiver power, the two lights will be on in the Gyro, hold the left rudder stick and begin the calibration again. (you have to do that about 3to 5 seconds after you apply power to the RX).
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 AM
Bob_B

Ralph we had to do the following to make all the functions work correctly I had to reverse the TX Gear function and then flip the retract connection plugs on the gear controller so the gear would travel in the correct direction, You have to flip the switch up and then down or visa versa at first to get the gear back in sequence. I had to do this on JP gear in the Joker and helped my friend with gear in his Avanti XS, he still is trying to get the steering compensation going the correct direction.

BTW do NOT leave your battery plugged into this device between uses as it will discharge your battery!

Ralph does the brake battery need to be plugged in during calibration???

Last edited by Bob_B; 07-22-2021 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:58 AM
A7Bldr

Ralph, I have watched your video and done the calibration several times to no avail. Still operates backwards on the NWS correction.

Bob suggested I reduce my NWS steering ATV to 80% and then calibrate again. I did that and now it is working properly..
I am using a JETI radio.

BTW, I suspect the OP issue was that he needed to reverse his LG switch (like Bob mentioned and I had to) and his would system work normally with the retracts hooked up.
Jim
Old 07-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Bob_B

Thanks Jim! I wonder if setting the NWS output to 80% would allow the auto configuration to work avoiding have to reverse the gear channel and flipping the gear plugs at the gear controller.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:06 PM
A7Bldr

Finally got to try out this system and it worked great except for one thing .....when brakes applied the nose gear door opens, then closes.
Weird!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.