Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Velox XL for new jet flyers (Assembly thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Velox XL for new jet flyers (Assembly thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Jetmutt
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mauryr,

Very relaxing flight on that Velox xl. Too bad you are having some issues with the glue joints. I went over mine thoroughly and all glue joints and seams are well done. I wanted to ask you how much did yours weigh with only fuel in the UAT? Mine came in at 29 lbs with a 3000mah Life ecu battery, two A123 mahRx batteries, the cockpit, pilot and engine rear cover installed. I have the same K180G installed as yours. What a power house.

BTW, I bought the pilot from Global and it looks really nice, it fit perfect.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is about 10.5 kg if I remember correctly, but still missing engine cover and main legs gear doors (only the long ones, the square ones are installed and operational) and, I think, this does not include batteries.
I use 2 2450 2s lipos for the radio and one 4200 3s life for the ecu.
I love how this plane is so light, I remember before building it I weighed the airframe + gears and it was only 6,5 kg
Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Maury, did you fall asleep when you fly? I did when I was watching that video.

I think you still can move the C.G back by another 5mm at a time. You can carry some power and coming nose high.

Leaking fuel tanks and bad glue? I think you just got our reject. I think our guys over there did a good job of getting better quality ones for our USA members. Ours are tough and well glued.

Mike
Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 AM
mauryr

Hi Mike, I usually don't fly like that, but yeah, I am sorry for the super boring flight
But it's a good thing I did, since after a post-flight check, that was enough to almost completely undo the joint between the 2 fuselage halves below the engine... I'd show you pictures but I m too lazy to upload them now
Tanks? I have a collection. I think I have 9 velox xl tanks, and out of them maybe only one was decent enough to be usable out of the box. All others either failed at 1 bar or were already leaking...
I even repaired a set, then when pressure testing them a second time they developed more micro holes and started leaking again... ended up putting them aside, but I m afraid I'll have to reconsider and get back to the fixes

I think there shouldn't be many more troublesome joints, so once the latest damage is repaired I should be able to open the throttle a bit and stop making retarded loops like that
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
mikedenilin

I think you might want to get the blow molded plastic tanks that we use on our 1.9M Viper. Each tank holds about 1800cc. You can put 2 or 3 of them and they will never leak. email Mandy or Jose at [email protected] about these tanks. That might be a better option. The coke bottle is also a great choice and cheaper too.

check out this video. Got a small section of the XL maiden flights. You can see the plastic tanks on my viper.

http://youtu.be/RaBjMVKLeTg Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 AM
mauryr

I'll give another go to the stock tanks first, let's see if they manage to cause a fit of rage and end up burned

Meanwhile thanks as usual
Old 12-13-2014, 09:16 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have an extra set of factory side tanks? I don't care if they leak, I just got a great deal on a used Velox XL with gear (Free) and it came with a large center jet tech fuel cell. I can't seem to find it on there site so I don't know its capacity

I got a sweet deal also on a 45 pound AMT 450. I know it will be a tight squeeze but for $750 I figured it would be fun but I want to have more fuel on board.

It did have body damage from some bad landings. I just repainted yesterday at a friends house
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141210_154233.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2054608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141202_094539.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2054609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141125_234505.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2054610  
Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I have over 30 flights with this 45 pound AMT motor in my Velox XL. This is one of the best flying, relaxing jets I got at 1/2 throttle. It's crazy at 1/2 throttle she is faster than any other jet I got.

I have one issue guys every time I go over 1/2 power one of my inside rear gear door opens all the way up, not a little but full open.

Dose anyone else have this issue? How did you fix it?

My air system works well. Heck it still had 85psi in it after sitting for a month

Thanks Mike
Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 AM
mikedenilin

Options:
1. Change the angle of the air cylinders to increase mechanical leverage so the doors are held tight all the way
2. Drill some holes on the doors to bleed interior air out,
3. add a deflector or spoiler plate in the front of the doors so it's force shut.

I plan on trying with a small section of spoiler made of wood, about 1/2 inch long and glue that one on the door. It's small enough but it has reverse flat bottom airfoil that can generate negative lift to keep the door shut at high speed. It would generate enough down force (in this case, up force) and hold the door at hight speed.

This should be fun.

Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 PM
sstiehl1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone put Dreamworks Prolinks on the Velox XL and which set did you buy. I am looking for the complete setup. Any help would be appreciated. And if not does anyone have the strut length for the mains and nose?