Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

I would assume the reason for uptrim is the difference in the incendence between the horizontal stab and the main wing. If I recall, it's like 3 or 4 deg. Not sure about that.

Flew my DV8R today with the longer struts. She lands better as you can hold a little more flair now and not worry too much about the tail hitting.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Keith,

I have experimented with the up thrust on the P-120SX and have made 4 thrust changes in the turbine, you are again right on in your comment. I have taken all the thrust trim out.

I forgot to ask you how much ailreon Diff are you happy with. 8% 10% ??

Pat
Hi Pat. I am still figuring out the differential and rudder to aileron/elevator compensation for knife edge. I'll post something when I get more confidence in these numbers. I can fly a knife edge, but the inputs are pretty significant to hold it ... particularly elevator.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:06 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

The reason I shim the BACK of turbine was to take away the DOWN Force at full Throttle. I have built 6 of these and they have ALL been the same! The first 3 I had, Had a Jet Central Eagle with 30 pounds of thurst. At Full throttle it would VIOLENTLY go straigt to the ground!! What it was do was tring to Push the Tail over the nose. So with the Shims on the rear it change the thurst angle. This WORKED GREAT FOR ALL SPEEDS!!! It still required a couple notches of up trim, But the down was GONE!!! Another thing I have noticed is that A LOT of people are NOT doing the CG at what is said!!! I have over 400 flights on these! To me There is no need for crow.....UNLESS you FORCE it to land. This plane will land at about 18 to 20mph. Any faster... Bounce...Bounce..etc......
I have received some retracts from TBM, Serria, and Now from Germany. Will be testing. I will also post some pictures.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

The reason I shim the BACK of turbine was to take away the DOWN Force at full Throttle. I have built 6 of these and they have ALL been the same! The first 3 I had, Had a Jet Central Eagle with 30 pounds of thurst. At Full throttle it would VIOLENTLY go straigt to the ground!! What it was do was tring to Push the Tail over the nose. So with the Shims on the rear it change the thurst angle. This WORKED GREAT FOR ALL SPEEDS!!! It still required a couple notches of up trim, But the down was GONE!!! Another thing I have noticed is that A LOT of people are NOT doing the CG at what is said!!! I have over 400 flights on these! To me There is no need for crow.....UNLESS you FORCE it to land. This plane will land at about 18 to 20mph. Any faster... Bounce...Bounce..etc......
I have received some retracts from TBM, Serria, and Now from Germany. Will be testing. I will also post some pictures.
As I read this, you are agreeing with me. You shimmed the engine to remove pitch changes with throttle. The only thing I would say that is different is that my plane doesn't seem to have a pitch change with application of throttle. I don't think Pat Martin's up in Alaska had pitch change either with the engine flat on the rails. Not sure why your aircraft had such a problem.

I would also agree with you on the CG. I found the recommendation in the manual to be perfect. I would reemphasize to everyone to follow the manual for both CG and throws.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM
gjhinshaw

This is what I am hearing!!! The ones I had/Have have a little down in the engine rails. I had asked them to Leave the engine rails off, But that didn't happen. They did most of the other changes I requested. Maybe they changed the angle of the engine rails on some. Don't know that answer.....
To All.... I have asked to get a price on just the wing, fuse, controls, etc. Should be getting a answer this week sometime.

Gerry
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
gjhinshaw

Here are the Retracts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96834.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1441860  
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
JetNovice
My Feedback: (29)

WoW im loving those wheels! is the retract portion made of plastic? keep me posted on these Gerry.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
gjhinshaw

NOPE!!! ALL METAL!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
gjhinshaw

More Pictures!!!

Name:	Qn38278.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1442097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88703.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1442098  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM
JetNovice

If you could take some pics of them install on the jet. That would be great! =)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
TED ANTON
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Keith
Thanks for the info, I will post pics when I finish the test flight

Ted
Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 PM
gjhinshaw

What Engine do you have in yours???
Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 AM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

What Engine do you have in yours???
P120SX. I think it is the perfect choice for this airframe. Here's a short video from today showing takeoff, landing and a few maneuvers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U3_cVaC7do[/youtube]
Old 05-30-2010, 07:23 AM
fombyracing
My Feedback: (2)

Keith,

Did you paint your canopy? Nice Video!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

On the way home from the Wilson N.C. jet fly-in. Put 12 flights on my new DV8R, no problems fly's great. RAM 750 P and used crow set up for landing.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:09 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: fombyracing

Keith,

Did you paint your canopy? Nice Video!
I did, though I really didn't get fancy with it. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
JetNovice

I just got done building mine, I was curous if the 1/2" on the ailerons on high rates were enough? did you guys leave em that way + / - ?
Also did you guys use the specs from the manual when setting up the elevator down to flap mix? If so are the perfect when the flaps are fully deployed for landing? Thanks In advance.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 PM
gjhinshaw

At First stay with the Manual..... Than you can move up!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
gjhinshaw

Pictures of the Retracts. NICE!!! They are $540.00

Name:	Bz78282.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1447498  
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 AM
JetNovice

Is $540 everthing like wheels,brakes,struts? When are these gonna be availible? let me know how the testing goes gerry im very interested.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
David DeWitt

I had to land on the nose gear and one main landing causing a lot of wear and tear on the bottom of the stab and elevator tip. So to eliminate this problem in the future should I have another issue ( found the brake line had rotated and jammed the main gear) I added BVM wing tip skids. There was no damage to the wing tip because the stab held the wing off the ground.

Name:	Ay74706.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1451342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21768.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1451343  
Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, a few suggestions if you don't mind. I would make some longer skid plates on put them on the rear part of the fuse where the horizontal stab plugs into the fuse. The reason being is that if you were to hit again, you want all the energy to be directed into the rear fuse and not your horizontal stab. A few have lost dv8r's due to hitting the stabs and then taking off only to find that it had cracked or weakend the stab and failed in flight. Just an observation.

Second, I would trim your control horn screw. If you sit your dv8r on it's mains, and add a bit of down elevator and push the tail down, you will see it's going to hit that screw. I did not trim mine and I had mine hit and it stripped out two metal geared servos.

Just some observations, hope you don't mind me saying so.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
David DeWitt

ORIGINAL: noahb

David, a few suggestions if you don't mind. I would make some longer skid plates on put them on the rear part of the fuse where the horizontal stab plugs into the fuse. The reason being is that if you were to hit again, you want all the energy to be directed into the rear fuse and not your horizontal stab. A few have lost dv8r's due to hitting the stabs and then taking off only to find that it had cracked or weakend the stab and failed in flight. Just an observation.

Second, I would trim your control horn screw. If you sit your dv8r on it's mains, and add a bit of down elevator and push the tail down, you will see it's going to hit that screw. I did not trim mine and I had mine hit and it stripped out two metal geared servos.

Just some observations, hope you don't mind me saying so.
Thanks for the info, I will trim down the control horn screws before I fly it again.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Test flew my TBM DV8R today. Flew very well with very little trimming required. A slight bit of up evevator was required. Will also have to add more elevator down trim for the recommended flap settings. Power is a P-120SE, changed gear on mains to Robarts with 4" BVM wheels and brakes and used the Robarts struts from a PCM crashed orignal giving a very high stance and good clearance for the stab when flaired for landing. The nose gear is the TBM gear. Also moved the rear of the stab mounts up so that the elvevators are level with the rear of the fues. Landing was accomplished with no crow and was a non event except the nose wheel did not come down. Appears to be some binding with the steering arms on the retract and the mounting plate. Minor damage on the nose section as a result. Overall, pleased with the flying chacteristics. They appear to be very similar to my orignal PCM DV8R.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 AM
David DeWitt

ORIGINAL: youngguy

Test flew my TBM DV8R today. Flew very well with very little trimming required. A slight bit of up evevator was required. Will also have to add more elevator down trim for the recommended flap settings. Power is a P-120SE, changed gear on mains to Robarts with 4'' BVM wheels and brakes and used the Robarts struts from a PCM crashed orignal giving a very high stance and good clearance for the stab when flaired for landing. The nose gear is the TBM gear. Also moved the rear of the stab mounts up so that the elvevators are level with the rear of the fues. Landing was accomplished with no crow and was a non event except the nose wheel did not come down. Appears to be some binding with the steering arms on the retract and the mounting plate. Minor damage on the nose section as a result. Overall, pleased with the flying chacteristics. They appear to be very similar to my orignal PCM DV8R.

Can you post a picture of the stab mount, moved the rear of the stab mounts up so that the elvevators are level with the rear of the fues.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.