Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

I thought Bannana's where Yellow. LOL

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
k12rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuselage looks really funny as you can see the nose has a huge slope it looks good when put together.They call for shims under turbine if you go over 22lb for level flight because of this
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that purchased the retracts, did yours come with air line, and tank? Mine had the valve and tee fittings, but no airline or tank. I was told that it came with airline and such.

Not a big issue, just wondering.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

At this point I am saying that they DO NOT come with the air lines nor the air tank! I have a call in, to find out if this is WRONG!! I will let you ALL know what I find out!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

I have one....as you can tell by the avatar lol! It will be interesting to see how these arfs fly compared to the PCM kits. Mine was built from the original kit. I'd love to know what yours weights in at, my was a porky 27lbs and that was trying to keep it light.

http://vimeo.com/5349459

I did the same thing and once was enough. It's no fun watch your plane bounce down the runway, especially when you're a guest at another flying field and the entire club has shown up to watch lol! Now I come in much slower. Other than that, it's an amazing plane. It's like a pattern ship that can push 180, very smooth.

Have fun,
Shaun
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
gruntled

It doesn't look like the landing hurt it any, so maybe they figured it was a testament to its durability.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
shaunrbell

I hit about 4 times on a paved runway. Think you're right about a testament to durability, no damage what so ever. Any other plane would have been a rekit in my case. The guys at the field said it looked like I was fly fishing! Moving your radio up and down doesn't seem to stop the bouncing : )

Shaun
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
gjhinshaw

The plane is very strong! BUT, I did use HySol and some epoxy all over the inside the all landing gear! The plane has been reinforced with tri-stock. That was my second flight with it and I didn't let it slow down enough! On that video I have a Jet Central Super Eagle turned down to 28 pounds. MAN.... IT WAS FAST!!! The plane is very versatile with turbines! You can fly this thing on a 17 to 30 pound thurst turbine!!! Mine came in at 22 pounds dry. My one from Pat McCurry came in at a whopping 28 pounds dry!! 32 pounds wet! This one came in at 26 pounds wet! (HEHE) Nothing but pure SPEED!!!!!! If anyone needs help, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! I have built 3 of these and done a lot of R @ D on them. Hope EVERYONE enjoys this plane!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
noahb

I weighed all my wings, fuse, misc. hardware, tail surfaces and canopy and retracts. It's weight is 17.5 lbs. i will be using a rabbit so that install adds another 3lbs, plus another 2 lbs for servos and misc. items. So that is around 22.5 - 23 lbs dry.

So I expect the airplane to come in around 23 lbs dry.

It does seem to be built like a tank. I think they probably could have saved a pound in weight just on the wings and still had them be plenty strong.

What would be really nice is a smaller dv8r (samed exact layout, but something in the 16 lbs range). I thing that would really sell well as there is just not a lot of sport airplanes for the bee, p60 size turbines.

Also, if you ordered the TBM retracts for this, you will need to check all the screws and prob. locktite them. I also found the shaft that comes out of the air cylinder that actuates the "drawbar" was not screwed in to the bar much at all. I had to tighten everyone of my three retracts. Sure don't want that to come loose!

The retracts look really nice and robust. I am done hinging all the control surfaces. Will start on assembling the center section of the wing and then start the servo install in the wings, elevators and rudders.

The flaps are kind of a pain in the rear to hinge as you have to hinge them on the bottom but I got them done. I will try and get some pics tomorrow of everything.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
gjhinshaw

Noahb,
Glad to hear that you got it done!!! Please post pictures!!!! The servo on the flaps and steering need to be at least 300oz/in. If not you will strip them out!!!! I had JR 4721 on them and the first to go was the flaps! than steering. I sent the Manufacture a email on the retracts!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 PM
gjhinshaw

Also, I had the 2 piece wing. We had to put more wood in for the new 3-piece wing. So that being said, that wood be were the extra pound comes in.

If you ALL don't mind I will jump in from time to time and answer ALL Question's you have and will help in any way!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
noahb

Sounds good.
I just weighed just about everything again, wings, turbine, turbine related stuff like pump, ECU, fuse, wing tube, retracts batterys and servos, servo arms, leads and I am looking at min. of 23 lbs, prob. closer to 24 lbs. I am attempting a light install, so will see where everything ends up. However, I am pretty sure it's going to be 24 lbs dry. That is not too bad as my super bee at my alt. prob put out around 12 to 12.5 lbs and I had it in a 16.5 lb boomerang dry. My rabbit at my alt. is putting out very close to 19 lbs, so i estimate that each one had around 4 or so pounds difference in the thrust vs weight. I know this will have more drag to it, but at least it looks like a jet to me.

If I don't like it, I will see about trying to trade my rabbit for something bigger...anyone might be interested in doing some trading for a very low time rabbit towards a jet central eagle! lol

I will get pics posted tomorrow of everything. I won't have much time to work on it tomorrow, but I am off Friday and hope to get some stuff done on it tomorrow and this weekend.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
shaunrbell

Don't worry about the weight, mine will rip off the runway with just a Simjet 2300. Coming from ducted fan jets, I was shocked at the speed. I can't imagine what it would fly like at 24lbs lol!

Shaun
Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 AM
noahb

Thanks for the info. I hope to have it done before the year 2012 (you know what happens...lol).

I am hoping to get a lot done this weekend. Then I will just need to do the turbine layout which always takes me forever...ugh.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
k12rc

should be starting on mine in next few weeks.Working on struts wheels brakes now also finishing up on the jetmach ultra sport have it ready for painting couple more days then will go full blast on dv8r will be using falcon
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
noahb

Gary, quick question. On the servo mounting blocks, the ones you glue to the hatch and attach the servos too, there is also small pieces of ply that looks like they may be glued on top of the blocks before you secure the servos. Is this what the little ply plates are used for? They are in each bag of the servo mount blocks. The blocks are balsa, but the small pieces are ply. I assume they get glued to balsa block BEFORE you mount the servo. This would give the servo "better bite" with less potential to strip.

Could you please specify?

Thanks Larry
Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey recent DV8R owners, I see where TBM Models has taken Gerry's advice and as of Jan 4, 2010, have come out with a newly modified set of building instructions. It is on their website ready to download. Gerry is true to his word, feed all your questions to him for straight to the point, on the mark, advice and answers. Gerry has been so extremely helpful to me. I won't start building my recently purchased DV8R untl late summer due to health problems but I will certainly be following this build thread so that I can ............. go to school and learn even more from your build. Keep up the flow of questions and information. Thanks Gerry. Chic
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
gjhinshaw

That is correct! What I did was cut the blocks in half and glued the lite ply on top. I had extra balsa blocks do to cutting them in half. ALSO... ON THE FLAPS, GLUE THE BLOCK ON WITH THE SERVO HEAD CLOSEST TO THE THE BACK. THE FLAP ONLY MOVES ON WAY, SO DON'T GLUE BLOCK IN MIDDLE. I WILL POST PICTURES! If any of you need pictures let me know and I will post them!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 PM
gjhinshaw

I also made a tray for everything. The air tanks are under it and a battery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13201.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1351662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53464.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1351663  
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
noahb

So you are saying to position the flap servo as far back as possible? I know the flap only moves one way so that makes sense.

Thanks for all your help.

I did not get pics today, but I will take some this evening and in the morning and then post some pics.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
gjhinshaw

Yes, that is correct. You will see what I mean. when you look at it. give me your email and I will send you a zip file.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
gjhinshaw

Also if you use the TBM 101oz. fuel tank you will have to cut the back former out to slide the tank back over the CG. Also.... When you get ready to check the CG... Make sure you check the CG with NO FUEL IN ANY TANKS!!!!

Name:	Ro42097.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1351686  
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
noahb

Thanks. I have the pics you sent me already.

BTW, on applying the tiger decal I noticed that the shape is a bit different then the vert. stab. Should I just try and make sure of even coverage or what do you suggest?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
gjhinshaw

Just follow the lines to cut out. Than I sprayed windex (a lot ) on both surfaces! than place over stab and rudder. I slid it in place where I thought it looked best. I did tilt it DOWN on the rudder side. Get it in place than start wiping from CENTER OUT TO ALL SIDES. Than let dry over night. Than come back next day and trim. I kept the rudder straight and just cut down the middle. Than I trimed the sides with a New Xato blade. If it starts to stick before you are ready, just pull off and spray again. This is the easiest way I have found.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
gjhinshaw

Here is some pictures. Leave a little on the bottom so you can tuck under, so it looks clean after glueing

Name:	Nl30376.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1351741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62621.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1351742  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.