Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM T-33 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM T-33 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:49 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BVM T-33 Build

Thanks for that clip Sean. Gonna have to bookmark that one. Yea I drank the Kool-Aid for the first time this year. Ha. Ha. It's a classic jet and looks to be a good all around flyer. I saw Bob V's at FiF and just could not take my eyes off it. Right now trying to decide which Ver to paint it. There's Doz of good ones out there but you only see three or four of the same.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Gazzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting mod on the speed brakes and more scale like too......... but more work for where I even am LOL!!

For me either a Wren 54 MKIII (as what I had and then foolishly sold on) or possibly a Wren SS, just like the idea of a bit more ooommmmffffff....

I even wonder if the tyres can still be used, surely they must have flat spotted by now! I have some internal work to re do, one of the formers has released a bit of the side of the fuz, clearly did not key it properly, so will have to go over everything, but I suspect it is just that bit. Target must be to finish by the time I am 50, a mere two and a bit years away.

Says something for the quality of BVM to be able to still get parts and new components, plus those I have, as yet have not gone off, delaminated or decayed!

Gaz
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 PM
JDjetjock
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: f6hlct

It’s funny how time passes in this hobby. Living in Canada, you have a limited flying season and there seems to be an event every weekend that you want to go to. That leaves winter to build, but you get all these great ideas during the summer that distract you. The main reason that I put a halt to the T-33 was the change to our flying site. It has some bumps dead in the middle that don’t bother others in the club, but I know that the this bird is not going to be happy with them. I see my kit every day going into the workshop, and sometimes I even take a closer look at the parts. I know this will be a great plane to fly, I just wish my flying site was more conducive to it. Good to hear from some of you guys still. Sometimes that is the kick in the pants to get moving again.

Dave, you gotta get the old bird in the air so we can have two in the Ottawa area! The next event I'm taking my BVM T-33 is to Capital Jets 13-15 Jul in Albany NY. The T-Bird always looks fantastic in the air. Mine used to be JPX powered, but I converted it over to modern day structure, retracts, and fuel system for kero burner.

If you have any questions, or want to see mine, let me know.

Cheers,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46807.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1773173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14109.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1773174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43068.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1773175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55713.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1773176  
Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Looking good Jeff. When are you coming back to the west to fly with us?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in a build thread too. I have an old turbine kit with balsa sheeted wings. I need to reinforce the wings because I'm not interested in spending $1200 for the composite ones. Any pics would be great!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Gazzer

Hey Bob,

I have the non composite wings too, but do not think they need reinforcing unless your going mad with it!! Once glassed should be fine, I have not heard of anyone enhancing their strength. However, interested in why you think it may be needed though, just in case!!!!

$1200 for the wings, it is a lot but if I had the money I would go for it, and finish the original ones!

But that might be the amount I have for the turbine in due course LOL!

Cheers,

Gaz
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 AM
f6hlct
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the offer Jeff, as I definitely have questions.  My biggest concern at the moment is viability of local fields to support this plane.  I know that the runway length is not the issue, but surface smoothness is running through my mind as the potential problem.  We should talk.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Guy's:
I was going to list this on RCU thougt it might fit here, I selling a complete set of wing bags for the BVM T-33, ifany one might be interested in them give me a PM

Dave
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here is my bvm t33. close to doing the maiden. barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31734.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1773531  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

VERY nice! good luck!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
JDjetjock

ORIGINAL: youngguy

Looking good Jeff. When are you coming back to the west to fly with us?

Would love to come back to the West...may be in retirement! I still have to stick it out some more in Ottawa. You can say that I've been to many jet rallys around Canada and the US. Wish we could fly formation together Youngguy!

Jeff
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
JDjetjock

ORIGINAL: f6hlct

Thanks for the offer Jeff, as I definitely have questions. My biggest concern at the moment is viability of local fields to support this plane. I know that the runway length is not the issue, but surface smoothness is running through my mind as the potential problem. We should talk.
Hi Dave, we could investigate Smith Falls airport as I'm told it's not too busy there. I do most of my jet flying at events, but would like to occassionly get some local practice in.

Cheers,
Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 PM
JDjetjock

ORIGINAL: sideshow

I'm interested in a build thread too. I have an old turbine kit with balsa sheeted wings. I need to reinforce the wings because I'm not interested in spending $1200 for the composite ones. Any pics would be great!

I upgraded my BVM T-33 that has the same wings as yours with the foam cores and balsa skins. Bob Violet made me the conversion kit for modern turbine, and he considered a structural reinforcement for the wings, but decided it wasn't necessary. In practice, wing reinforcement is not needed and the jet flys just fine with the old wings and the aluminum tubes. I haven't weighed mine, but it is heavier than most with a Simjet 2300 with removable aft section...guessing around 22 pounds. Definitely install the new gear and corresponding mounts, and I had BVM add inner oleo strut springs as stock spring rate was too soft...easily bottomed out.

Cheers,
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Wish we could fly formation together Youngguy!

Jeff
[/quote]

Better do the retirement thing before I have to change my handle to "Oldguy".
Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
hooker53

ORIGINAL: marc s

Dave, I would just do wood formers where appropriate and the same for the grey primer. I built one of these and did a full build thread on this forum for a client early last year and applied grey to key areas but not others.

marcs
Marks. Do you have a link to the full build thread on this T-33 you did? I did a search but of coarse I could not find it. Ha. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
marc s

Hooker, my mistake it was one I did not do a thread on but have a load of pictures which I will happily copy to disc and post if you want, just PM with address info.

marcs
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM
hooker53

P. M. Sent Marc. Thanks so much. Would be glad
To compensate you for cartage.
Roy
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Gazzer

Mark very kindly sent me the CD too, I have it on my PC, if you would like and if Mark is OK, I can put it in my Dropbox account and send you a link to it, so you can download from there?

It is really worth it, but be wary, he is just one capable builder and finisher!!!!!

Cheers,

Gaz
Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM
hooker53

Ok. We will leave that up to Mark. As long as my old computer don't have a problem downloading from the site, that's cool with me and thank you very much Gasser. I know the kind of builder Marc is and that's hy I jumped all over that build thread he mentioned. Ha. Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM
sideshow

ORIGINAL: JDjetjock

Bob Violet made me the conversion kit for modern turbine, and he considered a structural reinforcement for the wings, but decided it wasn't necessary.
Hmm, I had him on the phone and he was talking about epoxying spars within the wing.....so now I'm not sure what to do.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 AM
marc s

Roy posted out yesterday but also happy for the pics to be added to Dropbox.

marcs
Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM
hooker53

Marc. Thanks so much and can't wait Please PM me your info any will PayPal your post fee's gladly. Roy.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
hooker53

Anyone that did the turbine Ver. At what point did you depart from the JPX plans and instructions and what did you change in it?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
sideshow

Has anyone bought the composite wings? I'm looking at either getting the new wings or modifying what I have. The last time I called BVM they didn't have a price. Any info on price or how they fit would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sideshow

Has anyone bought the composite wings? I'm looking at either getting the new wings or modifying what I have. The last time I called BVM they didn't have a price. Any info on price or how they fit would be appreciated.
Hey Sideshow,

I just got an old old kit. I will power it with a JC rabbit (100class turbine)

I spoke with Pablo and Bob, and they both said I need to reinforce the wings. I will do so, I´m not planning on going composite. I plan to open a grove on top and below the main wing tube, and put a woodent spar. Most likely a balsa spar caped with a carbon fiber strip. (like in any built up wing from bvm)

I want to make sure the spar is in contact with the wing tube and goes all the way up to the wing surface. I will extend this spar probably all the way 2rds of the wings.

then I plan to cover the wings with 1.5oz fiberglass cloth instead of .75oz

I havent started the build (finishing other project right now) but I soon as I start, we should compare notes

Later
jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.