Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do you glue your canopy's in with?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do you glue your canopy's in with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you glue your canopy's in with?

Dave

yes I remember and I even bought some slow ZAP from you the other day to try. It still makes the BVM canopy's brittle.

Jason
Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Xwingnut
My Feedback: (24)

I quit using liquid adhesives on canopies long ago and been using Automotive Tape ever since. Have yet to lose one due to tape failure. These two products are from 3M and can be found in your local Schucks/Napa/CarQuest. The 3M moulding tape is thicker with a sponge like center and used in areas that need a bit of fillet. The black fiber tape is meant for truck canopies and such and I use it the most. I use a heat gun to warm the surface before applying. The warmer the surface the better these products will stick. The Moulding tape has been holding my window visors to the outside of my truck for 8 years and the carwash can't even loosen it.

It is so strong at holding I have sucessfully used the Doublestick Fiber Tape to fix servos for gear/brake valves to fiberglass and such. It will work with balsa/plywood as well but a thin coat of CA on the wood to seal it is needed before applying the tape.

Xwing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51209.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1348669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93617.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1348670  
Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
bjfrankl

I just purchased a Hangar 9 J-3 Piper Cub 40 PNP from a local hobby shop, but a couple of the plastic windows are loose (I bought the plane built). What should I use to secure the windows? I just purchased canopy glue (rc 56).
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 PM
cy paul

Silicone worked for me
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

5 min epoxy, in 2 steps. Just use the minimum to hold the canopy in position, I hold it in place while the glue dries.

Once dry I run a second lot round the base & smooth it out with a finger when it just starts to go off. You can remove any rough spots by sanding before painting. - John.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Lasse Palm

I used Pacer Formula 560 and then add a string of clear cote or silicone to ensure against water/wet !

Lasse P
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 AM
hairy46

I use the CA that is made for plastic or foam works good sticks to the covering good!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I use #2 allen head button screws... First I tape the canopy onto the aircraft and get it perfect with the blue masking tape... then I start putting in the screws.

I'm a firm believer in the #2 allen head button screws also . . . actually easier than glueing, looks kinda scale if done correctly, canopy can be removed and replaced without any damage. On my jets, I use about one per inch.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is another recommendation for E-6000.

Any "smear" left over can be removed by rubbing your finger over it until it rolls up. Very easy.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Duncan

Jason the E6000 and Zap-a-dap-a-goo is the same a Marine Goop. The glider guiders use it to build the foam models. It's a great glue and there is a place around the corner from me that sells it in mastic style tubes for less than £10 iirc

Dunc
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
DeferredDefect

Household Goop. It can be bought at most hardware stores, and can withstand water and vibration better then a gluegun, and can be pulled apart if needed without damage. It is one of the best glues out there!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Duncan

Houshold goop isn't available in the UK the same it is in the USA for some reason. Palmers metals in Coventry is one of the few places you can buy Marine goop (which is better than household anyway as it's UV resistant)
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

What I do is first make about 8 1/8” X 3/8” X 3/8” plywood squares. I tack glue these inside the fuse to support the canopy. This way the canopy can be snapped into place and will maintain a tight fit to the fiberglass while 30 minute epoxy cures. I also always put the section back in place on the fuse, while waiting for the glue to cure, so that I know that I have not possibly created a twist in the hatch by gluing the canopy in. I also have a number of pieces of paper towel and alcohol at the ready to wipe any glue up that shows up on the outside. After the glue is cured I remove the plywood squares and finish the interior. This probably takes a little more time, but you know what the fit will look like before you start to glue.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Steven,
Great Idea! So the bottom edge of the canopy sits on the 1/8" thick ledge created by the blocks?
That will work great using the Hysol U-09FL Urethane adhesive part 3 6430A32 to glue my canopy in place.
Dries crystal clear and it has incredible strength.
Thanks,
Bob

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

What I do is first make about 8 1/8” X 3/8” X 3/8” plywood squares. I tack glue these inside the fuse to support the canopy. This way the canopy can be snapped into place and will maintain a tight fit to the fiberglass while 30 minute epoxy cures. I also always put the section back in place on the fuse, while waiting for the glue to cure, so that I know that I have not possibly created a twist in the hatch by gluing the canopy in. I also have a number of pieces of paper towel and alcohol at the ready to wipe any glue up that shows up on the outside. After the glue is cured I remove the plywood squares and finish the interior. This probably takes a little more time, but you know what the fit will look like before you start to glue.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
jason

Now thats a really neat idea. Thanks very much for posting!

Jason
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I just did the canopy on my Flash I wish I saw your post first. GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Zap Dap Goo or E6000 work well on small canopy. If you try these on a Yellow Aircraft AT-6 or a Composite-ARF Extra300L 2.6m, you will go nuts. I found it best to use RC56 in a syringe with ground off needle. I don't try to glue the entire canopy in place all at once. For AT-6, just put a few drops at the top to hold the frame in place. Wait a few days for it to dry. Then, do the rest with syringe/needle. It takes a good 2 weeks for me to glue in the canopy for my AT-6 without any excess glue to clean.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

Steven,
Great Idea! So the bottom edge of the canopy sits on the 1/8'' thick ledge created by the blocks?
Exactly, I also have a block on the center line fore and aft to lock it in that direction too if possible.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

S_Ellzey,

Can you provide a couple of photos describing your technique as it would be much helpful...

Thanks and best regards,