Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do most folks here do?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do most folks here do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts
Default RE: What do most folks here do?

I drill holes, not rich, I do have lots of fun though, the jet scene is a good place to be with like minded people
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

I think you will find that not a lot of Jet Jockeys are rich, I have been flying jets for 12 months now, have three engines and four airframes and-my car is 2002 vintage.
All my neighbours have newish cars, sit and watch the tele all night and are miserable, I fly jets now to the exclusion of all my other scale warbirds etc and am very happy, skint but happy, Gary.
p.s. if you don't ask you don't get!
I think there is a lot of truth to this. It is all a matter of personal priorities and how each person elects to allocate their scarce resources (time and $$).
Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

Don't pay that silliness any attention. No intrusion at all (and if there were, people could very easily elect NOT TO ANSWER). People always seem to want something to bunch their panties up over. If you're curious about something, ask the question!

As for me, I got into jets when I was a general manager for a (then) very large hobby shop. At that time, I was single and aloof, and had no financial responsibilities. The hobby shop pay took care of my real bills while my ''feast or famine'' acting career took care of my discretionary (model airplane) expenses. During the ''famine'' times, I'd work extra hours at the LHS, and during the ''feast'' times, my boss would let me go off schedule (sometimes for months at a time) to do professional plays and musicals. Some of those were slightly better than minimum wage while some were very nice. I bought my first turbine back in 2000.

These days, I run a performing arts company for teens in San Diego. I'm not getting rich, but it's enough for my wife to not have to work and for me to get an occasional jet.
Shaun,

You left out the part about "Yellow Aircraft". How does that fit in?

Craig
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
scottkieper
My Feedback: (10)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A little about me and my family. I just got into jets this past year Im a heavy equipment mechanic for a living work 70 hours a week + we as a family race snowmobiles in the winter with are two boys since they were 8 and 12. my 2 boys were factory backed by team arctic cat. we lost are oldest son dec 10, 2007 at the age of 22 and my youngest son said dad i cant go racing without my brother so i sold every thing and got back into the hobby i left when i had my kids so no more racing. just back into this to help me cope with the loss of my son. my wife is very wonderful and letting me do this as she just bought me a boomerang xl for christmas!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
rcjet lynch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a department head for one of Floridas largest hobby shops. I started flying in 78 and got into jets in 85 with a Yellow A-4 ducted fan and have had no reason to fly anything else since then. I fly twice a week Wed and Sunday and generally get in between 4 to 6 flights sometimes more if am doing some trim flights for others. I enjoy flying ducted fans as well as turbines and going to events is just iceing on the cake as its alot of fun and good times with friends.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
SPLIT S

I manage an automotive paint and equipment supply store. Colours Inc., store 13 in Ephrata, PA. Never going to give Trump a run but it treats me very well and has allowed me to keep up with the hobby. Started flying with my Dad and brother back in the late 70's, then joined a band and played 3-4 nights a week for 5 years. The airplanes took a back seat for quite some time. Got married, started flying again, got divorced - there went the airplanes again - re-married and got back into the hobby steady 5 or 6 years ago. Realized my JetCat dreams a year or so back. Haven't looked back since. First pic is 1985 I guess, second is a few months back. Those were the days....

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79617.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	579.9 KB
ID:	1350160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82516.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1350161  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Flying model aircraft since 1959.

Radar maintenance technician USAF 1964/1968.

Flying full scale since 1968.

Lead guitar in show bands 1971 through 1975.

Camera Maintenance supervisor 1975/1979.

Marine electrician 1970/1981.

Electrical/mechanical test engineer at a shipyard 1981/1985.

Alaska bush pilot 1985/1989.

Captain for SouthCentral Airlines (Alaska) 1989/1992.

Life insurance agent 1992 until retirement 2007.

In retirement I am again a full-time pilot...The red & blue King Air 200 pictured is the plane I fly. It is set up as a flying ambulance used exclusively for medivac.

I also have an aircraft ferrying business. The coolest plane I have flown in this capacity is the black WACO UPF-7 pictured.

My entire life I've been an airplane fanatic...both models and full scale.

Jet modelers are the best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88289.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1350188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72365.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1350190  
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

I developed and manufactured SS. textile machinery and overlooked the machine shop and R&D lab for a company for 27 years. Retired from them in 2004 and work at a hospital now. Run my own small machine shop here after hours to pay for my airplanes along with some rental property. Played music up and down the Atlantic coast for years. Took a 8 year break from RC in the 80's to build and fly ultralights and Exp. The Lazair. Man do I miss them.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
SPLIT S

I think we should add how many musicians also fly to the thread!

Dan

Hey RJ - Hamburg Jet Jamboree this October here in PA - bring the axe....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
rjbob

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

I think we should add how many musicians also fly to the thread!

Dan

Hey RJ - Hamburg Jet Jamboree this October here in PA - bring the axe....
That would be cool...I'll try to swing it.

I pm'd you.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Director of maintenance for the Tampa Police on their helicopters.

Been doing full scale for 11 years but doing RC for 2 years. BTW im not even close to rich lol.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

Not sure why anyone would consider this an intrusive question. Im 43 been flying 14 or so years I cant remember the exact starting date of my rc career. I work as a chemical operator at a large chemical complex making liqid chlorine. The pay is pretty good close to 100k a year, I still probably will not try to tackle jets due to the cost. Im afraid having that much money into one plane, would take some of the fun out of the hobby for me. Instead I field about 4 to 5 planes, and really like to build the Top Flite series of planes. Still lots of money involved but not like the jets. I do love to watch the jet guys fly and used to enjoy Superman ever year before they moved it or ended it (not sure what happened to it). I live in KY only about 20 miles from the event and would sure love to see it come back. Maybe if I hit it rich someday id love to have a BVM mig 15, any of you doctors feel free to donate me one, I promise if my neck gets broken I will come see you.
RJBob- Man you have lead one interesting life, congrats on that!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

I have been involved on retail management for the last 17 years, started flying only 11 years ago, about 4 years into jets, but have been involved with airplanes and helis for most of my life since my dad is a full scale pilot on both helis and planes, to give you an idea, my fist heli flight was when I was about 3 years old on a Hiller UH-12, when my oldest sister went to college about 70 miles away, my dad would fly her there on Monday mornings and pick her back on Friday afternoons. I fly every Sunday with the greatest people in the world.

Most of my equipment has been bought second hand at probably half of original price, only planes bought new at full price where a CARF Flash, a FB Velox and a JL L-39, a few weeks back sold the L-39 unflown because I found a NIB 1/6 JL F-16 at less than 60% of the retail price, I just could not pass that up, did not have to spend additional money! . My income is not that high, but after three daughters, one divorce (and the related asset fight) and child support payments, I decided I would spend more on enjoying life, I could probably have a house twice as expensive, but see no use for it, I prefer to have a nice car, my jets, eating out, and be able to occasionally do some traveling with my girlfriend, I just call her that because we are not married, yet everything else is as if we were, she's a lot of fun and allows me to do my hobby, she is a good sport about spending FLjets weekend together at Lakeland were we have been traveling to for the last 4 years. BTW I also had my musician period, I still have my Bass with me.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: dasintex

If you are interested in getting a Jet, be it Ducted Fan or Turbine, get one, but don't worry about what everone does for a living, it borders on intrusion;.

You should be advised that no answers are required to questions asked on these fora. If you feel a question is intrusive, simply ignore it.

What do I do? I give free advice and am paid what it is worth.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

A good friend, Tommy Watson, summed up our expensive toys (not just jets) a couple of years ago on a thread.

He said?.... hate to be lying in hospital on my death bed thinking.... wish I'd bought that new jet last year.

Another friend says.... you never see a hearse towing a trailer.

If you want to do/buy something & can afford to do it, do it today.

You may not be here tomorrow. There are no prizes for being the richest man in the cemetry. - John.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 AM
scottkieper
My Feedback: (10)

boomerang1 , the statment is right on when my boy died im glad to have spent money on him for his racing becouse that is what he love, so if you can do it, do it
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance engineer by trade, but look after training and special processes for the current project i am on ( for the same company)

Not a high paying job by any stretch of the imagination. Just bought my first turbine about 2-3 months ago at a price i couldn't say no to (less than 1/3 new price. older model but only 1h run time), and bought a Falcon 120 to convert to a turbine trainer new on ebay for $200. I have always loved turbines seeing as i worked on them for a living, and so wanted to get one, but like a lot of people, would struggle to send so much money (all new) into the air at once. If i sold all my other models i could easily buy a new turbine +ARF model, but i've been flying for long enough to know not to put all my eggs in one basket. Been flying R/C for about 20 years and i'm 31 now. Have a few warbirds in my workshop and a few projects on the building board. lot of where i am at now modelling wise is as many people here have done, horse trading, building models for others, etc, whatever i can do to finance my hobby, and slowly, the size and cost of my models has grown.

I fly nearly anything R/C and turbine models are pretty much the final frontier for me.

Really looking forward to my turbine maiden flight, in the next few months when i save up the beans for the retracts..

I don't think this is intrusive at all, in fact i think it's great an i also like to know what people do outside of the hobby! We all share our lives at the model club with our flying buddies and this is no different to me. It's what makes this hobby so great. people sharing the same passions sharing life.

Thanks

dave

P.s. I'm a drummer too....
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

I am a retired forest firefighter. Worked for the Florida Division of Forestry for 41 years and loved it.

Bill Hodges
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been flying from ducted fans ( the first one was a Byron F-16);
and going to meets since Jets over Deland. Had one of the first batch of Bandits from BVM.
I take this as it is, a HOBBY. So I only have 2 jets, why? because I see no need to have a bunch of
them and forget things about the planes. That's how I enjoy this sport. Having a group of
friends to spend sometime weekends with. Why? My wife is the office adm. and wants me
out of the house to spend some time resting.
What am I? I spend the whole week dealing with earwax, nasal secretions and phlegm-ENT.
I could spend money in this BUT, there are other more important things to spend it.

ENT
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Duncan

I work for my family's printing business. I don't earn a great deal, but i don't go out drinking, pissing what i do get up the wall. I just crash it into the ground instead
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flew S-3's off of Carriers for 24 years. Retired Navy Officer since '99. Got some pretty specific training during my time in the Navy, so now I'm the Radar's, Guns and Missiles Manager for out 11 Aircraft Carriers. Play drums for my own amusement.
Currently flying an LDS Jetmach with Jetcat P60 power and JHI A-7 with Wren MW-54. I've got an old airstart BMT-80 that I'm thinking of putting in something.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm an aerospace engineer but I build jets for other folks to help pay for my own.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
zac137

I worked for a commuter airline for five years now i have a great corporate flying job to pay the bills and my wife is the smart one, became a doctor. She allows me to buy the planes and crash them every once in a while. I have been flying RC since I was 12 and now I am 28. Greatest hobby in the world!
Zach
Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Shaun Evans

Huh??

I didn't know you played drums, Jerry!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
rjbob

Okay...

We've got guitar players in Pennsylvania and Alaska,
a bass player in Puerto Rico,
and drummers in San Diego and Australia.

I've set up band practice at my place on Thursday nights.

See y'all there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.