Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable practices

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Unacceptable practices

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Unacceptable practices

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

When I fly right pattern, I hold my transmitter upside down !!!!!

Danno
you just have to move to the other side of the runway and fly over the parking lot!!! A 5 year old could have told you that. [&:]
Old 01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

How about pilots that see it as common sense to have brakes on the elevator channel?
Exactly! Its the best way to use proportional brake valves.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, what do you see as unacceptable practices in our hobby, I''ll list mine,
1- pilots that only fly or land, left hand circuits
2-pilots that only fly or land right hand circuits
3-pilots that carry on board propane
4-pilots that can't trim their own plane
5-pilots that use brakes mixed with elevator, they should learn, how to use the rest of their fingers and have a dedicated brake channel.
6- pilots should only start up their turbines in a dedicated start up area.
7- pilots that don't bring a fire extinguisher to the start up area.
The purpose of this thread, is to make better pilots for 2010.
Rcpete
PS
List yours or debate mine
Heres my one and only.

1- A pilot who don't know how to use a rudder and don't bother to learn.[:@][:@]

This almost cost me my Super Bandit last year when a pilot was landing cross wind and could not steer his plane so ended up landing diagonally heading straight towards my plane taxing down the side of the runway. I had to power up and run my plane on to the grass to avoid a collision. I also got a nose of a Stingray through the side of my plane at Jetpower once because of the same thing. Proper winds me up!

Jason

Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
IFlyEm35

ORIGINAL: jason

Heres my one and only.

1- A pilot who don't know how to use a rudder and don't bother to learn.[:@][:@]
I totally agree! Not only is it a bad practice it can be dangerous.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

ORIGINAL: jason

Heres my one and only.

I totally agree! Not only is it a bad practice it can be dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31547.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1354310  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
IFlyEm35

Other devices serve multiple purposes depending on how they are used during the course of a flight. Most commercial airliners are equipped with wing spoilers that are used to make banking turns. These devices are used during flight when the spoiler on one wing is deployed causing the plane to go into a bank. However, the devices can also be deflected on both wings simultaneously during landing. This use of spoilers creates an equal amount of drag on both sides of the plane that helps to slow the vehicle down and reduce the landing roll. A similar device is the drag rudder used on planes like the B-2 Spirit. Drag rudders are located near the wingtips and are also used primarily to help the plane turn during flight. Deflecting the rudders together during landing, however, creates aerodynamic drag to slow the plane down.

The B-2 may not have a conventional rudder but it does have a way of controlling yaw.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

only one i would have to agree with is the onboard Propane. Some of you may know of the field we use to fly out at in the Poconos...... we had a mishap at out site, from someone who was a jet pilot from another club came to fly who had onboard propane, and when it crashed, there was this HUGE fireball, seriuous, 50 or so feet wide. airport board of directors were there and saw this. Never flew there again. we were told never to come back.

so think about your site you fly at, is that little bottle worth the chance?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16597.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1354315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61856.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1354316  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am letting this run for the moment but be mindfull of our basic rules on being polite to and about other RCU members.

J.Duncker moderator

Taking my mod hat off for a moment I really hate flying with someone who only "sees" his own model and is unaware of everything else going on.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No way! that´s amazing!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
kingkrown
My Feedback: (23)

1. I don't really care how people land.. If you don't like the wind direction that is just more room for me.
2. As far as turbines and all the rules.. Hey I don't car don't crash your plane into me or my stuff. If it catches fire let me go get my camera.
3. Brakes... Who cares as long as you can stop it in a controlled manner.
4. trimming a plane... I think that is smart on some peoples part. I have no problem trimming someone's plane for the. I simply state. I am not responsible if it crashes, but I will do my best to set it up for ya.
5. I agree with the guy who says " Quite calling yourself a Pilot." AMEN... you are not a pilot unless issued a FAA pilot's lic... Not and AMA... Sorry guys. You would never tell someone you are a Pilot because you have an AMA lic. and you fly a toy RC plane.. They would laugh at you... I love to FLY RC don't get me wrong. But I take offense when someone at the field wants to call themselves a real pilot because the stand on the ground and fly an RC plane. I am a real FAA lic. private, insturment, commercial and CFI rated pilot. Until you fly it from the cockpit... YOU ARE NOT A PILOT.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That guy that has to do three d hovering right infront of you over the runway while flying your jet.

David
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

As an FAA certificated pilot myself, I would respectfully disagree that only a pilot sitting behind the yoke is a pilot. Though I didn't have to train as rigidly for my model airplane 'sign-off', I think that flying (and landing safely) a Yellow Aircraft Stingray takes a lot more out of me than doing the same thing with a CE-172. The fellows remotely flying those drones probably call themselves pilots. I don't know that for a fact, but I imagine they do....
Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Those of us that fly R/C planes are R/C pilots.

I have known several FAA certified pilots that could never get the hang of flying R/C planes. So they are just pilots.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
jefflangton

RCU should incorporate spell check so the ones that are ignorant don't agitate those of us who aren't. Maybe even suggest at least a fourth grade education!!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: trioval00

only one i would have to agree with is the onboard Propane. Some of you may know of the field we use to fly out at in the Poconos...... we had a mishap at out site, from someone who was a jet pilot from another club came to fly who had onboard propane, and when it crashed, there was this HUGE fireball, seriuous, 50 or so feet wide. airport board of directors were there and saw this. Never flew there again. we were told never to come back.

How do you know it was the bottles fault? You don't.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

I am letting this run for the moment but be mindfull of our basic rules on being polite to and about other RCU members.

J.Duncker moderator

Taking my mod hat off for a moment I really hate flying with someone who only ''sees'' his own model and is unaware of everything else going on.
I watch all the models ,thats why I crash mine!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
gruntled

ORIGINAL: jetspud

That guy that has to do three d hovering right infront of you over the runway while flying your jet.

David
Ooh yeah. Now that drives me nuts.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

5. I agree with the guy who says " Quite calling yourself a Pilot." AMEN... you are not a pilot unless issued a FAA pilot's lic... Not and AMA... Sorry guys. You would never tell someone you are a Pilot because you have an AMA lic. and you fly a toy RC plane.. They would laugh at you... I love to FLY RC don't get me wrong. But I take offense when someone at the field wants to call themselves a real pilot because the stand on the ground and fly an RC plane. I am a real FAA lic. private, insturment, commercial and CFI rated pilot. Until you fly it from the cockpit... YOU ARE NOT A PILOT.
As a A&P on the heavy equipment I am good with people thinking I am not a pilot...it's like when people ask me when they hear I worked for the airlines "are you a pilot?" and I would tell them "Nope, I scored too high on the aptitude test to be a pilot".....

Seriously though, with all the computers and fly by wire crap in a full scale airliner I bet you could make the argument that a model jet pilot has a higher work load, hell at North West you don't even have to be awake to be a pilot there....
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
kingkrown

Most military that fly drones are rated pilots. And I am not trying to argue that flying a R/C does not take some skill.. It is just a little tough to swallow someone calling themselves a pilot because the hold an AMA lic. It would be like comparing a R/C car driver to a NASCAR driver... because they are both driving the same model car only different sizes.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think anyone here would claim they are a pilot because they have an AMA license. But what they are doing is claiming they are a pilot because they can safely and repeatedly fly and bring back a turbine powered jet model that can go 200 mph. That is definitely a pilot!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

My son plays baseball, therefore he is a Baseball player, just not a MLB Baseball player...should I call him something else? I had a race car, hence I was a race car driver, but I am not a NASCAR driver....does that make me less of a driver? My dad has a boat, which he pilots....

The list goes on and on....

From www.M-W.com :

Main Entry: 1pi·lot
Pronunciation: \ˈpī-lət\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French pilote, from Italian pilota, alteration of pedota, from Middle Greek *pÄ“dÅtÄ“s, from Greek pÄ“da steering oars, plural of pÄ“don oar; probably akin to Greek pod-, pous foot — more at foot
Date: 1530
1 a : one employed to steer a ship : helmsman b : a person who is qualified and usually licensed to conduct a ship into and out of a port or in specified waters c : a person who flies or is qualified to fly an aircraft or spacecraft

I would say by definition one who fly's a model aircraft is a model aircraft pilot. If you are making the leap that when a modeler refers to himself as a pilot he is projecting or inferring that he or she is a full scale pilot just indicates a confidence problem on the part of the person making that assumption.

Just my take on it....
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: trioval00

Did he run the aircraft completely out of fuel before crashing ?

If not, on what basis do you assume that the 50 ft fireball came from a tiny onbaoard propane tank, rather than from the kero tanks ?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingkrown

Most military that fly drones are rated pilots. And I am not trying to argue that flying a R/C does not take some skill.. It is just a little tough to swallow someone calling themselves a pilot because the hold an AMA lic. It would be like comparing a R/C car driver to a NASCAR driver... because they are both driving the same model car only different sizes.

By definition we are Piloting the aircraft or vehicle. So somebody driving an RC car is still a driver, heck, they could be considered a PILOT for that matter, they are piloting their vehicle.

There are different designations, Fighter Pilot, Airline Pilot, Sailplane Pilot, Heli Pilot, commercial pilot, recreational pilot etc for full scale. Just like different drivers, Nascar, F1, Indy, Monster Truck, Tank, etc.

They are all Pilots/Drivers, the designation changes based on what they are operating. So, as such, I am an RC Pilot, like it or not but that's what I am. I don't claim to be a fighter pilot, or airline pilot, nor do I ever tell people I'm a pilot when they ask what I do, if I'm asked what I do, I reply with "painter". But when I attend a jet event, I go to the Pilots meeting. When I fly an airshow demonstration with my jet, I attend the Pilots meeting and I am referred to as the "RC pilots" by the full scale guys.

I have never heard a single RC pilot refer to themselves as a fighter pilot, or RC car driver refer to themselves as a race car driver. RC jets is my hobby, these are my jets, and yes, I am the pilot. By your way of thinking, I couldn't refer to the little plastic man inside the jet as the "pilot" either, he's not flying it, I'd have to say "hey, do you guys know where I can get a little plastic man for my jet???"

Purely by definition, we are pilots, I could see somebody getting upset if a person was passing themselves off as something they aren't, but that's not the case here.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
cdrc2004

Ouch. As a newer flyer, it's certainly important to learn RC do's and don'ts. Just glad I'm not learning at Pete's field.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Of course, we're all guilty of telling the hot waitress in the club that we're flirting with after the jet event that "I fly jets " hahha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.