Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable practices

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Unacceptable practices

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unacceptable practices

HI all, what do you see as unacceptable practices in our hobby, I"ll list mine,
1- pilots that only fly or land, left hand circuits
2-pilots that only fly or land right hand circuits
3-pilots that carry on board propane
4-pilots that can't trim their own plane
5-pilots that use brakes mixed with elevator, they should learn, how to use the rest of their fingers and have a dedicated brake channel.
6- pilots should only start up their turbines in a dedicated start up area.
7- pilots that don't bring a fire extinguisher to the start up area.
The purpose of this thread, is to make better pilots for 2010.
Rcpete
PS
List yours or debate mine
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Unacceptable practices

How about pilots who spend too much time worrying about what other pilots are doing...?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

on board propane? barry
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How about pilots that see it as common sense to have brakes on the elevator channel?
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, what do you see as unacceptable practices in our hobby, I''ll list mine,
5-pilots that use brakes mixed with elevator, they should learn, how to use the rest of their fingers and have a dedicated brake channel.
Rcpete
PS

I use brakes mixed to elevator..... has nothing to do with fingers being able to work other channels! This is MY preferred method of brake application. Perhaps YOU find this as "unacceptable practice" but I also dont think it is any of your concern how I choose to operate my aircraft as long as it is not in an unsafe manner.....
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No on board propane? Elaborate please. All of my jets have on board propane tanks. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Moreover, most Turbine manufactureres provide on board propane tanks with their new turbine kits.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

HI all, what do you see as unacceptable practices in our hobby, I''ll list mine,
Rcpete
PS

I use brakes mixed to elevator..... has nothing to do with fingers being able to work other channels! This is MY preferred method of brake application. Perhaps YOU find this as ''unacceptable practice'' but I also dont think it is any of your concern how I choose to operate my aircraft as long as it is not in an unsafe manner.....
mixed with down elevator? I remember doing that on those front wheel brakes they used to sell using a drum and thread attached to the elevator servo. in the day...

I'm with you. What difference does it make if someone safely and effectively brakes their jets in this manner? Moreover, they may need the slider channel for something else.

Andy
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, guess I won't be flying this year then, I have brakes mixed with down elevator on all (6) jets I have, and we have no "designated startup area" (using the pit) where we fly

Brake mixing, well thats a matter of taste, and the designated startup area is dictated by the field ?!

Now, what if I said starting with propane is totally unacceptable, use kero start instead, much safer (note: that was a joke )

But the rest of the items I agree on!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Items one and two. Which way is the wind blowing? Dennis
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

No on board propane? Elaborate please. All of my jets have on board propane tanks. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Moreover, most Turbine manufactureres provide on board propane tanks with their new turbine kits.
Onboard propane is a very efficient way of setting fire to your jet should it crash. All it needs is the propane tank to puncture or the tube to become disconnected & the fuz fills with propane. This combined with a running, or hot turbine gives a magnificent display of pyrotechnics.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: Jascat100

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Onboard propane is a very efficient way of setting fire to your jet should it crash. All it needs is the propane tank to puncture or the tube to become disconnected & the fuz fills with propane. This combined with a running, or hot turbine gives a magnificent display of pyrotechnics.
I think JetCat's has an option in the menu that lets you "dump" the remaining propane after a start ?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Jetcat3

I think what rcpete is trying to say in regards to the brakes, is that when you have them set on down elevator when you are coming in hot, when you touch down and immediately apply the brakes through down elevator you can get some insane bounce going. its kinda like landing a jet fast and letting up on the up elvevator. If it has too much speed its going to bounce down the entire runway unless its a heavy metal jet. Only the input of down elevator will make that worse. I personally like the brakes on a switch rather than down elevator input. Just have the spotter hit the switch on final.

Andrew
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

How about pilots who spend too much time worrying about what other pilots are doing...?
+1 [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Way too many guys who come out to the flying field and spend the whole day on this. When you ask them why they haven't flown thier plane yet they say that they like to come to the field for the "social" aspect.

I must add though that I have not found this at events where there are only turbine pilots.

PaulD
Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the last few years, I have the brakes on the spring loaded snap roll switch on my JR Tx. Very handy.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Angus McDonald

-I have one jet that has brakes with down elevator due to only 9 channel receiver.

-propane on board, yes it can cause a fire, why do Turbine Mfg. still recommend the intallation of it? the only 2 fires I have ever seen with jets did not have on board propane.

- left or right wind direction dictates, but I due favor a left to right landing as 90% of the wind direction at my field dictates this, yup a little rusty on right to left approach.

- I don't think there is anything wrong with a very experienced pilot ie David Shulman, Rob Lynch or even the best pilot at your club, taking your jet up for the first time and trimming it out for you. There is a lot of investment here and nothing wrong with a little insurance.....( I think this is what you meant) Sometimes Jitters gets the best of you

Now I have seen the best Jet pilots and very experienced pilots all get complacent with safety, especially when in small numbers without spectators, I have also seen Jet Pilots point exhaust right at spectators or having them standing beside the turbine when starting. I also think and this is just "think" that some of these Jet Pilots think that how can these spectators be so stupid to be looking down a tail pipe when it is starting(at a distance mind you) if they get hurt it is their own fault, they SHOULD know better.

Anyway I agree that safety is the utmost importance, whether they fly left or right when they are up alone it doesn't matter to me, if they are up with some one else....follow the proper wind circuit. As for propane on board this is a Mfg. and insurance issue. The rest of it follow the Turbine Builders Safety Code at all time.

Now I will go and get my Popcorn

Hey Pete, Friday/Saturday still looking good for some white winter flying

Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There are jet guys i know that won`t fly if the wind is not going their favorite way. No problem with me, more air space for my jets !!

V..
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

I have brakes mixed on elevator, but are no longer needed. I use my other finger to pop the chute.

Jed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mj24700.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	1354144  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

Pete.Don't you have anything to build or ressurrect this long winter?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Rcpete
PS

Here are my responses:

1 & 2:
I agree with these points, this is however the instructor's fault IMO. They should never have pased their wings test (assuming they fly in a club, in which case a wings test is required by MAAC and I believe AMA). If you can't fly both directions you shouldn't pass in the first place.

3:
This is ridiculous, most jets have an onboard propane tank, I don't see a big issue with it. It wasn't that long ago that plasma bags were common practice in jets. Heck, early turbines operated on propane only.

4:
Do you mean they can't trim them on their own on a maiden, or don't understand how to trim an airplane to make it fly correctly? I agree all pilots should know what they NEED to do to trim it out, but on a maiden flight, I prefer to have somebody stand beside me to feed in trim in case I have an airplane that has an issue. Things happen so fast with jets that I don't want to be taking my thumbs off the sticks if possible!

5:
Who cares how the brakes are mixed? This was always common practice at one point. It was also a great way to "feel" the proportional braking valves. I don't use it mixed to down elevator as I like to have the ability to preset some brake before landing if the field is short, but if your field is big enough where it's no issue, then why worry about it?

6:
I agree that turbines should only be started in a designated start up area, same as IC engines. Most fields I've been to have a "pit" area and then starting area's for all types of airplanes. If you're starting your airplane up in the location you assembled it that's not right IMO. I feel the same about electrics, I don't think their batteries should be plugged in until they are in a starting area.
Having said that, I don't think there should be a dedicated "turbine start" area that is dedicated to turbines.

7:
I agree with this one, or at the very least check to make sure there is one there at the start up area.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi! Pete, I just would't call it unnaceptable. If that would be the case,
then, you'll be flying alone. Everyone has his style of flying, as long
as he follows the Safety Rules. You have seen guys flying their jets
as fast as they go, and that poses also an unnaceptable flying too.
So just enjoy your flying, and follow safe flying.
Are you going to the Dominican Rep. fly in? I'll see you there.
I also have my brakes in the snaproll button, very handy.

Hector
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
3dean

people that refer to model flyers as pilots ................ bore off
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3dean

people that refer to model flyers as pilots ................ bore off
You are piloting a model aircraft, therefore you are a pilot, like it or leave it, even by absolute definition we are PILOTS, so right back at ya....

piâ‹…lot
  /ˈpaɪlət/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pahy-luht] Show IPA
Use pilot in a Sentence
See web results for pilot
See images of pilot
–noun
1. a person duly qualified to steer ships into or out of a harbor or through certain difficult waters.
2. a person who steers a ship.
3. Aeronautics. a person duly qualified to operate an airplane, balloon, or other aircraft.
4. a guide or leader: the pilot of the expedition.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Anyone that

1. Flies any differently than me (this means you Shui, I mean PALEESE, practice a little more would ya?)

2. Builds any differently than me.

Jeez....

Raf
Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

MY RESPONSES:
1- pilots that only fly or land, left hand circuits ..Sooner or later,this will get this pilot into trouble
2-pilots that only fly or land right hand circuits ..ditto
3-pilots that carry on board propane ..definetly can cause a nice fire in the event of a crash where the propane gets released and ignites
4-pilots that can't trim their own plane .. should not be flying jets
5-pilots that use brakes mixed with elevator, they should learn, how to use the rest of their fingers and have a dedicated brake channel. There is some merit in this but some pilots may not have enough channels in their systems to allow for a dedicated brake channel.. if THIS is the case, then you can use a futaba SR10 servo reverser OR a Smart-FLy EqualizerII that allows 1 channel to control 2 servos ( elevator, aileron etc) THAT could free up a channel for brakes!
6- pilots should only start up their turbines in a dedicated start up area. Not all clubs have such an area but the idea has merit
7- pilots that don't bring a fire extinguisher to the start up area. This can definetly save a plane...

one more...Pilots who over power planes and try for mach 2!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.