Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flash or PST Reaction Arf ??????

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flash or PST Reaction Arf ??????

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
cagmo
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash or PST Reaction Arf ??????

Guys,

I'm moving back to sport jets after a run with several scale jets (just too much maintenance, etc). The most fun I had was with a Flash last summer (got about 75 flights on it and sold it......big mistake). My question is that I see that the PST Reaction is on sale and less expensive than the Flash....for those of you that have flown both what do you think?? Another Flash or the PST Reaction Arf? I have a JC Eagle (30lb) going into it and have alot of jet time. I just want something that is low(er) maintenance, relaxing and looks good (both of these fit this criteria IMHO). I fly a 5000'MSL and the Flash flew well here. I'm wondering if the Reaction will be similar in performance for less $$. It is bigger which could be good for my eyes. Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flash or PST Reaction Arf ??????

I can't see how a Reaction can compare to the Flash for really aggressive flying. Reaction seems better suited to be a trainer.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

I have a 120 powered Reaction, about 60 flights so far, speed is around 180-199 max. flies great and lands at a crawl. I am getting ready to sell it to buy a flash, less wing area and more speed.

hopefully the flash lands as nice as the reaction. so if your looking for a used Reaction minus turbine for less than a flash kit I got one.

Kevin
Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
SinCityJets

No comparison. Apples and oranges.

Comp-Arf all the way. Kevin's statement above should say it all.

Chad
Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I could be wrong on my estimates, but a friend has a reaction and has flown both a 30 pounder and a 37 pounder on it, plane did never get near 180-190 mph, I would say no more than 160 mph at best, I have a Flash and I'm biased towards it, I personally do not like the Reaction. A few of my friends have PST Reactions, if you want something relaxing, get the Reaction, you already know the Flash. My friend says the 30 pound turbine is a better match for the Reaction than the 37 pounder, I have seen it fly and I would agree, so you should be OK, yes unlimited verticals at 37 pounds of thrust but nothing more for the extra power...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Sonicwings

You get what you pay for... Ive had a CARF Rookie 11, Quality was pritty good i thought, they got there building and finishing to a pritty high level...
Currently working on my PST Reaction, Not soooooo good, the Quality of assembly, Squareness of woodwork, Hatches, holes, ect, need improving... Someone
Has a Crooked set of eyes, surface paint finish isnt anywere near, however, they are reported to fly real well...

Jeremy.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

I could be wrong on my estimates, but a friend has a reaction and has flown both a 30 pounder and a 37 pounder on it, plane did never get near 180-190 mph, I would say no more than 160 mph at best, I have a Flash and I'm biased towards it, I personally do not like the Reaction. A few of my friends have PST Reactions, if you want something relaxing, get the Reaction, you already know the Flash. My friend says the 30 pound turbine is a better match for the Reaction than the 37 pounder, I have seen it fly and I would agree, so you should be OK, yes unlimited verticals at 37 pounds of thrust but nothing more for the extra power...
I have flown seflyer's Reaction ARF and it does scoot.

Fastest one I've seen.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:59 AM
cagmo

Thanks guys....as I said, I know the Flash well but I have yet to see a Reaction in person. I found the Flash (with main and wing tank) got me about 7 min. flights. A smoke system (and everything else for that matter) was really tight on the install. I like the idea of the room the RX has and its bigger profile. I'm really torn. Todd's trailing link gear is the same $ for each plane so, all said and done it's just about $600 more for the Flash. But right now (just had baby) it all adds up -and more to hide from the wife ...now if CARF would just put the Flash on sale[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 AM
seflyer

there is lots of room in the reaction fuse, 3.5 liters of fuel and I had 1.5 of smoke until I needed the smoke system for something else. Chad shot some good footage of my reaction and its on youtube under seflyer flying reaction 54. fun jet to fly in most any conditions with no bad habits. just depends on what your looking for, scary fast and smooth, Flash or semi fast and smooth, Reaction.

Kevin
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 AM
dubd

Flash is on sale right now. Combo is about $2500.

Also, for aerobatic maneuvers the Flash is the plane to own. The Flash excels at flat-spins, high alpha knife edge passes, snaps, etc. Not sure about the Reaction as I've only seen them do low passes and aileron rolls. If you plan to fly around in circles and do sport maneuvers (rolls, loops, split-s, etc) both planes will do the job.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 AM
cagmo

I saw the Flash combo for sale but there is no way I'll use their gear again. I found my buddies that had the trailing link gear had far less issues than me (and I had mine professionally machined to accept the 8mm pins). Long way of saying that combo does me no good and I don't see anyone selling Flashes with Dreamworks TL gear.

I'm usually not this indecisive. Problem is that I miss my Flash but seem to have this idea that the RX arf will be easier to work on (more room) have longer flight times, be cheaper, have a bigger presence in the air and be close to the flash performance.

I need therapy. help!

-tony
Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 AM
seflyer

I can sell you mine RTF minus turbine.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bz77752.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1355199  
Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 AM
dubd

Look at the airframe designs... you can tell that they will not fly the same. The Reaction has a smaller rudder and the fuse is short coupled compared to the Flash. The Reaction also has a straighter wing.

What kind of problems did you have with the Flash landing gear? I used the 8mm pins after the 2nd flight and flew it 250 times without a hitch.

If you want to keep it cheap and get a sport jet, you may want to consider the Dragon by X-Treme Jet. Here is a video I took of Jeff flying it at Buttonwillow:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjOdUReaIpw[/youtube]
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
cagmo

I could never get my stock gear to stay at the correct toe in. Even though my flat spots were perfect the dang struts would always seem to get out of alignment.

Thanks for the input guys...I think all ya'll have made me think long and hard about getting another Flash...expect this time it will have Dreamworks gear.

Anyone with a great shape flash for sale????
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
tms261

I'm just now getting into jets. I had finally decided that the Ultra Flash or the PST Reaction would be the first jet. I hadnt seen the Dragon or I probably would have tried that.
After talking to our local jet expert, I ordered the Reaction X. I'm putting a Cheetah on it so I will not necessarily have to buy another turbine for that second jet. It was a very hard decision. The Ultra Flash is really nice. It may be my #2.

You already have jet experience so you dont "need" a trainer type jet. What ever you get, would you please let us know what it is? I for one would be very interested in hearing about it cuz the 2 jets you mentioned are the one I have and the other that I WANT! I can't read or watch enough about either one.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
tms261

Kevin, it just happens your Reaction is the same scheme I am putting together. If I had known about you selling yours I may have bought it!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tms261

Kevin, it just happens your Reaction is the same scheme I am putting together. If I had known about you selling yours I may have bought it!
This is a 2 year old thread you've dug up, it's probably long gone anyway.

Mike
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
tms261

ouch, you're right! I wasnt paying attention....I dont feel so bad now about missing that Reaction for sale!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
CDB-RAE

hello

and what about the last sport jet from pst the revision??
look like the dragon and should fly very well (that what ali say)
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 AM
PHIL GREENO

I have and fly both the PSTReVIsion and CAF's classic Flash. So whats the difference?

Both have similar power Jet Cat P120sx CF and Merlin 140 ReVision.

The Flash is a more responsive airframe much faster in roll rate(larger aileron area) and more pitch sensitive, i use 50% expo on the elevator.

Faster top end and quite easy to land when set up with crow and limited flap travel.

The ReVision is a larger model and weighs 2-3 kilos more than the Flash, it is a smoother model to fly and very easy to land now I have set it up with crow and the correct down elevator mix on full flap.In fact I can now land it so slow it has no nasty habits very difficult to stall just seems to sink on an even keel.

The ReVision feels more like my Carf Hawk to fly than the Flash.

Likes and dislikes, well the dislikes on the Flash are short run time 7-8 minutes max using the additional wing tank and I dont like the 6mm pin set up on the Beotec/Jet A1 trailing link legs,grub screws and flats seem very crude,but the airframe is very strong and I like flyng it,I can really tool it around the sky great fun,super model.

The ReVision likes, large 3.8 ltr fuel tank so 10-12 minutes flight time no problem.Very nice high quality PST manufacturedmachined aircraft spec dural trailing link UC with clamp system to trunion like BVM.Machined alloy 3 way air quick connectors,proportional brake valve,all included, very easy to fly and land,good presence in the sky.

Dislikes, very complete kit but very poor instructions (you have to refer to Reation instructions) no radio layout or radio mounting trays supplied.Two peice wing so more hassle to assemble model than the Flash.

I havn't flown the Reaction or the Ultra Flash so I can not comment on their performance but the ReVision has a thinner wing aerofoil than the Reaction just like the U Flash compared to C Flash.Both models nice to fly but different character.

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20253.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1722671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21405.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1722672  
Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: rjbob

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

I have flown seflyer's Reaction ARF and it does scoot.

Fastest one I've seen.
Jeez Bob, someone actually let you fly thier plane? [&:]

PaulD