Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

This is the year!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

This is the year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: This is the year!

Shakes, that is the best advice anyone can give you......( easier to talk in person) before you buy, go talk face to face with jet pilots, ask lots of question. see how their jets fly, then ask more questions. learn as much as you can before you buy your first jet......
Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of how much you have twittled the sticks in the past there is a lot of NEW things you are going to be learning and thinking about the first 10 outings with your new turbine jet thats very diff than anything you have had to deal with in your past flying. Your future as a model turbine jet pilot will depend on your success during that first 5 to 10 flights. You prob already know what servos, Rx, extras that you will use and mabey even your turbine engine choice. So the only thing to narrow down is the airframe. You can have ultimate success when it comes to that for about $500 bucks. e.i. a Shok jet. If you like to build and I do, a Jet mach sport 60 inwhich is what I'm getting ready to build. I have a scale jet or two around but even after that, you will never get tired of the fun you will continue to have of a throw around jet like my Shok has been. When you started out with prop planes, did you start out with a pattern bird and just "Fly It Slow" until you learned? Doubt it. You started out with a high wing high lift, slow flying trainer and you learned to fly. Whatever you wind up with we all here wish you the best. Just my .02.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: shakes268

Back in 2004 when I started looking at r/c airplanes the goal was to eventually fly a turbine. I've flown glow trainers, aerobats, giant scale, helicopters (glow/electric) but still have never flown a jet. This is going to be that year. I've posted here severl times asking questions each year as I edge closer and sorry if this is a rehash of anything I've asked before.

I'm very torn between a sport - Tamjets F-16 and the Boomerang Elan.

I know the Elan is going to be the easier, more versatile flyer but an F-16 has always been a dream.

Anyone love scale and gone the sport route only to be disappointed? Anyone gone the sport route to wish they'd gotten a sport-scale model?

I had the same question when after 33 years of flying glow, I decided to fly turbine Jets in late 2.007.

My dream was also an F-16.

The problem with trainers is that if you love scale jets, after a few months you are going to spent more money getting your scale Jet but if you get a scale jet as your first jet, you are going to love it forever.

So, after asking the same question than you and after investigating about the easy flying of an F-16, I decided to get mine.

The decision between a Tams and my Slymaster was only because Tams F-16 has no ailerons and if I was wondering a scale jet, I didn't want a no ailerons jet..

So I did not learn to fly my F-16 in my first flight because I had almost 33 years of experience flying. I just flew it and done......

A friend of mine decided to fly jets too and his first Jet was a TAM F-16 hi got 2 months ago, but the older version with ailerons (or I don't know because hi got it as an used turkey jet, if the first owner installed the ailerons).

Hi is now flying with no issues.

My recomendation is: if your F-16 is your dream, get one. Sure you are going to make your dream fly........

Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 AM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I wish you lived in TX, Id have you learn on an F-16 in no time. As long as you have good eyesight, you can learn on a Tamjets.

Is this due to the Tamjets being a bit smaller of a model? I have never seen one fly in person so I can't gauge what it looks like in the air.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
shakes268

I've made a decision and its not exactly what I had mentioned in my first post - I'm going to go with a L-39 in the P-70 range.
A little better with visibility, good on a short field, from my understanding a bit easier to land than a F-16 but still provides a scale landing experience.

Thanks everyone for posting their comments. It was a huge help!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
shakes268

My Global Jet Club FeiBao L-39 arrived today! Words cannot describe it. This is going to be a fun build. Looks straight forward. Mike and the crew were great to deal with and answered my numerous questions very quickly.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
RobinLeblond

About the velox.... It's a nice airplane, good quality.. BUT

IT'S NOT A FIRST JET, NOT AT ALL...

I have one, it's hard to land, it does cobra, and etc... I will post a full review in a couple of week...

BUT AS A FIRST JET NNOO !! That's my 2c...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 AM
flyboytha1
My Feedback: (30)

ORIGINAL: shakes268

My Global Jet Club FeiBao L-39 arrived today! Words cannot describe it. This is going to be a fun build. Looks straight forward. Mike and the crew were great to deal with and answered my numerous questions very quickly.
I Just Got Mine's Last Week After Ordering It 44 Days Ago, But Going To Convert It To EDF, But Still Thing Turbine Down The Road, Have You Started A Build Thread Yet? If So Can I Have The Link To Follow, Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17946.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1446733