Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

For the record....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

For the record....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the record....

For the record....

Well....here it is...the "truth and facts" on our attempt at the Jet Model Speed Record; however, it is no longer an attempt. We (as a team) have made it official!

On Sunday, January 17, 2010 I did some of the most intense, adrenaline pumping R/C flying that I have ever done in my life to date. The end result was priceless!

First, I'd like to thank all involved, especially my great friend, Mr. Axel Hache from Santo Domingo, D.R. With his support and the help of many other people, we accomplished our goal! It is not longer a rumor..... a new Guinness World Record has been set! "For the fastest radio controlled, conventionally configured, turbine model aircraft in the world! After many flights, the end results came to an average speed of 337 mph (up & downwind). The maximum speed achieved was 345.23 mph (downwind)".

I wanted to share this with everyone since there have been rumors of an attempt on the model jet speed record. Some wanted to stop it, but most wanted it to happen, and it did, so thank you for the support!

The background...
This project started in early 2009 when Axel & I were brainstorming. It didn't take long for us to agree on this challenge as we both like to push ourselves to see what we can accomplish.

Of course our first agenda was to contact the AMA & JPO ..... well in advance of any possible flights, testing, or attempts that were to be made on the existing speed record. Both organizations were positive and supportive as we worked together to formulate a safe way to do this. Safety was key... for all involved.

We started the push for a new record class to be made with the FAI and AMA since almost every other aspect of modeling has records. A controlled environment was necessary without question with a minimum number of personnel allowed on the site. This has proven to be a lengthy process, however, well worth every minute! Our deadline was set for January 2010 and Axel & I were determined to make it happen. Unfortunately, it became evident to us that, due to the deadline this final attempt for the record could not be done in the US. It was done in the next best place, my second home, The Dominican Republic; along side some of my greatest friends in the world!

Airframe:
It was now time to contact Tom Cook of Jet Model Products. The Firebird is easily the cleanest, fastest model (that is considered a model - i.e. landing gear, rudder, etc) and after a few minutes, Tom was excited and wanted to work with us through the whole process.

Turbine:
Next up was AMT Netherlands. An Olympus HP was in order, so a call to Bennie about the project peaked his interest as well and he was looking forward to seeing us be successful. The motor was tested thoroughly by Bennie and sent over, and for those wondering, no, a Titan will not fit.

Electronics:
Futaba's new 9157 servos (425 oz/in, 30.6 kg) were only a few months old at the time we began the project, so after discussing it with Frank Noll, we agreed that they would hold up to the speeds we were hoping to attain (in fact they were perfect!) Together with the Futaba metal servo arms and the JMP stock linkage setup as per the manual, no flutter or slop were present at any time during any flight. The 2.4ghz Faast system has been bulletproof for me since day one and really allowed me the extreme distance necessary to make the runs I envisioned.

Power system:
Battery power came from Duralite's Lithium Manganese packs which kept our servos ready with power for the stresses of 300+mph flight. The Lithium Manganese packs have a great "C" rating which under the heavy flight loads, high servo drain, delivered without hesitation. We understood that a good, reliable, redundant system was necessary - space was tight, so Emmerich from Powerbox said the Evolution would be just right. We met up again at Jet Power and he was very excited and wanted to know how the project was coming along.

Building:
Well, anyone that knows Axel or I realizes that we did not build this model, and with good reason, so we let the experts handle this build. A local (Orlando) team of skilled craftsman constructed the Firebird and had constant communication with Tom throughout the process. I would stop by weekly to see how it was progressing and made sure the fits were all extremely tight. A few minor adjustments were made to my liking mainly from input I gathered from other Firebird owners/fliers. Time started to come to a crunch and the paint work suffered multiple delays, as with any project on a deadline. Finally the paint process started during the worst possible time - our coldest week in 20 years here in Florida. The paint booth was at a balmy 15°F which did not help the clear coat. Thank goodness for sandpaper and a buffer!

Safety:
After flying turbines for over 14 years (starting with the old JPX propane T-240), I personally have witnessed structural failures, equipment failures, and pilot error which have resulted in the total loss of airframes. Anyone who denies this danger is simply fooling themselves. Axel and I were both well aware that we were going into uncharted territory... however, we took every safety precaution that we felt necessary. I have heard of a few other attempts of 250+ speeds, however, our goal was faster than 290-305mph. As with any R/C model, there is always a chance that something can fail or go askew. Safety, was absolutely our first concern.

With all of this on our minds, Axel and I decided it was best to close the flying site during our attempt in the DR for the safety of ourselves and others. I personally stacked up all 6 pilot barriers (chain link fence with 1" tubing) in an octagon. The layers were 4 deep on the front 3 sides, offering at least some protection if necessary.

The Flights:
I can say with confidence now that this type of flying is not for most... or should not even be attempted by most. It was truly intense. A smooth flier is necessary when you are hitting these types of speeds with any model aircraft. The slightest yank and the model would easily be re-kitted. The flights lasted roughly 4 minutes and when coming around to land, the adrenaline was pumping so much that a simple landing seemed almost challenging. Axel managed a few passes as well via the buddy box towards the end of each flight. It was no doubt exciting and thrilling, basically "living on the edge" is the best way to describe it.

A formal certificate presentation will happen on Tuesday, January 26th, in the Dominican Republic, with myself, Axel, the Guinness World Record Representative, along side our close friends at the CFI (Caribbean Fly-In) press conference. I will be posting the official certificate once it is in hand.. Thanks again for all the continued support, looking forward to another fantastic show in the DR, put on by the entire CFI Staff, a great show with great friends.

Special thanks to -
Axel Hache
Pedro Hache
Gamal Hache
Andreas Bothe
Carlos Sanlley
Fabio Alonzo
Don Shulman
Franco Dal Bon
Jamey Larosa
Gene Largado
Anthony Rhodes
John Rispoli
Tom Cook
Bennie Van de Goor
Frank Noll
Jack Price
Emmerich Deutsch
AMA & JPO
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52783.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1363772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41656.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1363773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51081.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1363774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56200.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1363775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21964.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1363776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23615.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	1363777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fi82647.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1363778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx80644.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1363779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo99826.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1363780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp73400.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1363781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq72810.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1363782  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: For the record....

Very cool!!!!. Congrats to you and all of your team.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Your new bird came out SWEET!!!! Congrats Dave..

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuui [8D]

DF
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
G.VITTINI

WELL DONE!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Congratulations!!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats !
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

David, holy sheep! thats fast, I hope Wojtek is reading your disclaimer about "dont try this at home" Your lookin good brother, I hope there not going to change the menu at Maine this year because of you! Enjoy DR, those of us that are not going are jealous.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

[8D][8D] KOOL [8D][8D] and congratulations!!
What kind of equipment was used to measure the speeds?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
TAISUN

CONGRATULATIOS !!!!
I was waiting for this to be posted, and I must say, I am very proud of the
'Speed Team.' You all played a very important part in making this record breaking flight a success, while still maintaining the maximum safety precautions possible.

I will definitely attend the Presentation down in the Dominican Republic-and looking forward to meeting up with all our friends once again.

This is truly a great achievement for the whole 'Jet Modeling Community!'
CONGRATULATIOS - again !!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Shui

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

[8D][8D] KOOL [8D][8D] and congratulations!!
What kind of equipment was used to measure the speeds?
Hey Mark, we had the Eagle Tree System, GPS and Stalker 2 radar gun in knots (up to 600mph).
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
smitty1001

Congrats! Couldn't have been a better set of thumbs to do it!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Shui

ORIGINAL: Jetkopter

David, holy sheep! thats fast, I hope Wojtek is reading your disclaimer about ''dont try this at home'' Your lookin good brother, I hope there not going to change the menu at Maine this year because of you! Enjoy DR, those of us that are not going are jealous.
Hey Don, ha ha, maybe this would get him back into things? LOL I don't think they'd change it for me, but man that fresh Maine corn is sounding good already. Too bad you aren't making the DR! I'm sure you can hop a flight still from NY straight over. Let me know, I'll make sure you get picked up and ride with us!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Sweet, very well thought out and well executed!!!

Rick
Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done! what a team!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I am so envious! Congrats on breaking the world record. Is there a video of the record flyby?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats Shui!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Dave,

Not only well done but well done the RIGHT way.

Great work from both you and your team!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats SHUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Woketman

You da man bro, really.

I hope Woj is watching!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Woketman

Go Saints!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What an achievement Shui.
Do you have a video of the flight ?( I imagine that it would not be easy to capture a bullet like this from the camcorder...)
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations! Can't wait for the video...

Arnaud
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
RonLongAZ

SHUIIIIIIIIII AKA MR GOOD THUMBS! CONGRATS AND WELL DONE MY FRIEND.

Ronald R Long
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats David... way to go... Do post the video in HD asap
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive team effort!

I know there has been a lot of scuttle about speed lately. Many of us in model airplanes also know through first hand experience how sport aviation (the likes of the Experimental Aircraft Association) has a long history of the same type of collaboration and careful advancement of aviation and aerospace in very significant ways. I am impressed to see the same style of professional approach applied to model aircraft. Rutan of Scaled Composites is an avid model airplane guy and started out that way. There is no reason to say no to his space flights now... and he started all this in earnest with model airplanes. And also, we know the average club guy is not gonna apply the same discipline to flying 350mph on a whim and a slammed throttle, so I think most of us know the difference between this effort - and our own rules that we are pretty familiar with and comply with.

Great job guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.