Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DerJet Cougar in the UK

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DerJet Cougar in the UK

Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
mark handley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DerJet Cougar in the UK

Hi all
Just to say I maidened my Cougar in the UK today and glad to report a sweet flying aeroplane on 25lb thrust.......No trim required and happily cruises at half throttle gear down. I'm only using wing flap with the inners fixed as per Shui balancing rear of forward spar which is a good start....I see no need to move mine.....my landings were a little quick so more flap and airbrakes on the next outing but overall great product with great support....will update as more flights are put on...I'll probably enjoy it even more when i can feel my fingers whilst flying!
Regards
Mark
Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
martin.lees1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mark, look forward to seeing it will you have it for
Elvington ?

Rgds Martin.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
mark handley

Hi Martin
Yes I plan on bringing it and hopefully my Vampire as well.... really looking forward to it...should have warmed up abit by then!!
Regards
Mark
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Mark

Great news, I will be using all the flaps and option of AB. The Airworld model only uses the fuselage flap, as the wing flap (full size) is the aileron. With the Der Jet version you have both available, lots of drag and plenty of power on landing.

Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
mark handley

Dave

It seems everybody who brings a Cougar to the market does it slightly differently with regards to aileron/flap configuration.....Derjet being the most accurate I think although I remember reading something about roll spoilers somewhere. Are you close to getting yours ready although following the threads you seem to have alot on the go! So glad you took on the importation of these... are you getting the wingbags in from Derjet? and there was some talk of a different length noseleg and underwing stores on the website and other thread. Great model you'll love it.......weight not an issue by the way!

Regards
Mark
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Dave Wilshere

Mark

Scale is spoilers for Roll control. The DerJet are the closest I've seen with little ailerons.
The kit I had is being built after a friend bought it, I'm commited to building the CARF Tutor first, then a Cougar, now the factory is back I'm hoping to have more kits soon.
Kits are supplied with wing bags at this time, I'll add a set onto a future order if you need a set for your early kit.

I was never worried about weight :-)

Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Mark:

Congratulations ! Excellent !

As a follow up to our emails during your build, I wish to pass on the most current set up information.

Through extensive flight testing using various set ups by two Cougar owners here in the US, Shui and Dave Phillips, the following seems to be the ideal. . .

1. elevator throws. . .as per manual
2. aileron throws. . .as per manual
3. Flap. . .15 degrees for take off - 38 degrees for landing
4. Body Flap. . .30 mm coupled with landing flap
5. CG. . .center of forward spar with UAT full and 1" of fuel in main tank.

The above set up eliminates any pitch sensitivity during approach and returns trim (3 clicks of down) to nuetral. Jet slows down very nicely.

Please keep the readers informed as your flight time builds.

David W.. . .good luck with DerJet in the UK and please feel free to contact me with any questions which might arise.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
DerJet USA

Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
thunderceptor

So the manual stated:

Aileron: 25 mm normal rate at outboard end, high rate
to suit flying style.
Elevator: 30 mm at root edge.

Just to be sure I'm not misunderstanding, these values mean total throw?
Or is 30mm up and 30mm down for elevator and 25mm up and 25mm down for ailerons?

Maybe is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure about those values..
Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Dave Wilshere

Alberto

I'm sure each way. We are working to these figures each way, using expo to balance control.

regards

Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
BluFox

Alberto:

Yes, as David has stated,

Elevator: 30 mm up and 30 mm down
Aileron: 25 mm up and 25 mm down.

I am using 30% expo on ailerons and 25% on elevator. Nice combination.

Best regards,
Eric
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Ian Burridge

Mark,
weel done on your maiden. Any pics?
Ian.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
mark handley

Hi Ian

Thanks.....have a short video but no pics..lack of computer talent.. I'll try and figure out how to post it on here.. flew great hows yours coming along? weather forecast for next week is a bit more promising so hope to have it out again....I've just about finished the weathering and am very pleased with everything...you must have seen the latest from Eric a couple of replies above with revised cg and movements/expo which mine pretty much were. My approaches can be alot slower...will sort that out on the next sortie..didnt have enough flap/drag.. The thrust was more than adequate for my style of flying so your 120 will be great. UP2 UP4 combo works great.....Let me know how yours goes

Regards
Mark
Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Dave Wilshere

Our first Cougar is nearing completion. One area I wasn't happy with was the hopper tank transfer nipples (from main tank) which were a little small. I've added these larger nipples and will include in kits we supply.

Dave Wilshere
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77926.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1402677  
Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Dave Wilshere

Install on our first Cougar nearing completion. Looks like 34lb ready to go...feather light!
Also Ian Burridge's version was shown yesterday, again very close to flight ready

Dw

Name:	Ay73283.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1406691  
Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
mark handley

Dave
Nice install.....let me know how the maiden goes and what you think set up wise....weather up north is shocking at the moment so waiting for a window to get out again.
Regards
Mark
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Dave Wilshere

Mark

Work is from one of the team, just some of my ideas to move things around over the kit set up. We have UP2 and UP4, Rx, batteries all in the nose + structure. The shot makes the turbine gap look small, its actually 20mm. Will post some more shots tomorrow, C of G looks very close without weight.
Turbine is mounted on the underside of the rails to centralise the motor on the inlets.
Great looking aeroplane for sure. Looks like a few more will be around soon.

Dave
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

OK, busy day yesterday in the office, but we managed to complete the Cougar set up. Model uses A123 packs and as you can see we moved stuff forward to help on the C of G. Gear uses UP2 and UP4 for simple one servo no sequencer set up, works great.

Just hope the weekend weather is kind!

Dw

Name:	Hf98199.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1408300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90087.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1408301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88409.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1408302   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54710.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1408303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jb36180.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1408304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri70379.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1408305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67833.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1408306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40768.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1408307  

Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
BluFox

Dave and crew:

Excellent work. . .I enjoy viewing each builders ideas and variation on the install. Congrats on a great job.

Look forward to hearing results of the maiden flight. The set up provided enables rock solid approaches with slow landings. . .

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
DerJetUSA

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Dave Wilshere

Eric

Yes, Colin has not built many jets, but I think he's done a good job.
Amazed how well the hook worked!

Weather forecast is poor, but the UK guess the weather center get it wrong a lot

Dave
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave: how are you doing? Very nice work.
I'm wondering, you placed all the electronics and ecu
right on top of the turbine. What did you use for insulation
against the heat from the turbine?

Hector(ENT)
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

Hector

Nothing apart from the Plywood.
The case and front of the turbine are cool, the turbine tail cone is behind the plate and when I tested the turbine yesterday the plate stayed cool. We don't get very hot days in England (well maybe 2 a year) we will monitor in use. I wanted to use the full by pass provided but at this time it does not fit the inlets and former radius well. I will get Derjet to work on it.

Dave
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM
BluFox

Hector:
Dave:

We have experienced absolutely no issues with heat and the component board ppositioned and secured just above the turbine. With the 4 (soon to be 5) Cougars flying, three with Jet Central and one with Jet Cat, no issues reported.

As for the bypass, I recommend everyone leave the cover off. Turbine runs cooler, cools down quicker and as well, the pipe remains much cooler. It is the additional air available which allows for this.

Again, very nice work with the install. . .

Regards,
Eric
DerJetUSA
www.jetcentralusa.com
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

OK, busy day yesterday in the office, but we managed to complete the Cougar set up. Model uses A123 packs and as you can see we moved stuff forward to help on the C of G. Gear uses UP2 and UP4 for simple one servo no sequencer set up, works great.

Just hope the weekend weather is kind!

Dw

Looking good Dave. Was well impressed with the finish, etc, on Ian's at the weekend...I've put a couple of pics of it on the JMA AGM thread, here...

http://jmajets.co.uk/board/viewtopic...c0030754#p3657

Cheers,

Dick

Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
simonmiller

Now I feel sick!

I spent all day Sunday with Colin while he had his ego massaged and now I come on RCU and Dave and Co rub it a little more - please STOP!

Colin, nice build, I may have to take you up on that build offer some time

Dave, once again, your after sales customer service is second to none! See you on Friday for my P160SX etc.

Hope the weather improves for a weekend maiden.

Simon
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Colin Gontier

Feeling the love guys, thanks !I haven't been on here for a while but nice to see the Cougar in pictures, I've been working so hard on it I hadn't really stepped back to look at it properly.

Although there is a lot going on in this jet (16 functions including all surfaces !), everything went together very nicely. I have really enjoyed building the aeroplane, all the supplied linkages and hardware were great - a real step up in far eastern manufacture in my opinion. I made a personal choice to replace the main gear door rams and airbrake rams with UPunits but those supplied were perfectly adequate for the kit. Also used the stock valves supplied which were again an unknown quantity but they work superbly and are leak free. There are 3 separate air systems in the plane and each one is holding pressure for a number of days and allows numerous cycles so good news there too ! On the gear and doors I used a UP2 and UP4 valve on Dave's recommendation to eliminate the need for a separate sequencer. I just picked up a nice 4 inch stroke UPram from Dave to put on the canopy - that is the "spare" valve you see in the pics. Will most likely fit that after maiden.

On the turbine ancillaries I too was a little concerned about where they are but there is a 15 to 20mm air gap between the turbine case and the underneath of the board. I have pegged all the wiring to the bottom of the board so there is nothing hanging down. The turbine case does not get that hot anyway.

All in all a most pleasurable build - the most stressful part of it was not getting any marks on the absolutely beautiful finish!

Not sure if we will maiden this weekend - Im supposed to be on holiday 300 miles away and the weather is looking really bad but I have negotiated with my wife to disappear for the day if there is a break in the weatherDave W will be doing the maiden - just keep it nice and scale please, none of your sticks to the corners on the first circuit to check everything is glued in properly OK?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.