Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air World Fuel Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air World Fuel Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Air World Fuel Tanks

All four of the tanks bought from Air world, 2 fuel, 2 smoke, leaked on delivery, enough to need several patches.

I have found that both the fuel and smoke tank on one of my Hawks have started leaking again. Close examination of the tanks shows an awful standard of construction, porous in places with cracks and bubbles in the moulding, quite different to the rest of the model. Whilst the Hawk was inverted awaiting re-installation of the fixed fuel tank, the smoke tank leaked fuel from its top, smoke fluid over the garage floor and inside the fuselage, what a mess.

I really have better things to do than spend time fixing basic flaws such as this and shouldn't have to do it anyway. Other Air world model owners tell similar stories.

I just don't see why we have to put up with this sort of nonsense, this is an expensive kit, time AW replaced ALL defective tanks. My Euros were all totally free of any defects or shortcomings. !

In contrast, tanks from PST, Skymaster, Intairco and BVM were all totally free of leaks.

I have emailed AW but no reply received.

Comments ?

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Air World Fuel Tanks

That does suck, for sure. Did they perhaps sub out their fuel tank construction to FEJ? I've had similar experiences with my F-15 tank...

Its frustrating enough when it happens on a low-end model. On a model of that price, I'd be upset too!

Bob
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Hawk_292

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
Both my Airworld Hawk tanks – the standard Fuel and smoke tank have not shown any signs of leaking. I bought my Hawk in 2005 direct from Airworld and is still going strong with all the standard fittings. I have been very pleased with the tanks - I’ve changed only the internal tubing in that time.

Bob, I have three FEJ models and all of their Fuel tanks are working perfectly - good quality, leak free. And with another 2 FEJ models on the way this year I have no problem with the quality of their products.

TC
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say although I don't own I do build and therefor test tanks and have also found both BVM kits I have built (T33 & Mig15) both had around 5 to 6 pin holes in them - I guess it seems to be an art yet to be fully mastered..

marcs
Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
David Gladwin

More PMs arrived telling me that their AW tanks leaked.

I have had a reply from AW telling me that the new tanks are made from two layers of fibreglass and leaking is not a problem.

It also told me how to fix tanks which DO leak !

I do hope my Skygate tank is leakproof or it goes back (if it ever arrives, payment was requested, and made, last November as it was "almost ready for shipping" !!!!)

Regards, David Gladwin.

PS Marc, it seems the art HAS been mastered, I should add that the tanks of my FC Mig 29 were fine too. Its hardly rocket science !! My AW tanks are the ONLY ones to leak.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a pinhole in my SG Hawk tank!!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hawk_292

Bob, I have three FEJ models and all of their Fuel tanks are working perfectly - good quality, leak free. And with another 2 FEJ models on the way this year I have no problem with the quality of their products.

TC
My FEJ F-15 tanks delaminated (because the layup was too dry) and split open (not at the seam) spilling fuel all over the ramp at Liberty Jets 2009 - but that's another thread...

Bob
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

david. ditto. my airworld mig 21 tank weeped all over. had to do another layer of cloth. the good new is, you got your tanks. i bought a panther 9 months ago. came missing 3 critical parts for completion. still dont have them. they hardly answer an email. sad to see this bird ready for paint, but with no flaps, no can paint. not to mention the other two missing items. airworld is an expensive model and with the soft market right now, you would think customer service would be important. not so with some mfg's. i have since ordered another high end kit, but not an airworld. i would have bought their new f100, but the fear of another sitting kit sent me a different direction. good luck with the leaks. barry
Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
David Gladwin

I find it very sad that SOME manufacturers can treat their customers with such contempt, and contempt is what it is. If these guys tried to run a business in the real world, they would be out of business in no time and deservedly so, so why should we modellers accept such nonsense.

I am not a whinger, things DO go wrong in all walks of life, but if there is a problem, fix it, by in this case replacing the defective part with one in acceptable condition. I am sure the guy who discovered pinholes in his BVM tank would have had his tank replaced by BVM without any hassle.

The quality of the Hawk kit is outstanding and it flies superbly, in comparison the tank quality is very poor , (and it looks like it) totally out of keeping with the rest of the kit.

One final point though,and there is no point in mincing words, the Hawk fin spar, supplied cut from soft 1/4 ply is not strong enough and there have been several failures including at least two machines lost due to fin separation. One of mine failed (I have two) but the fin did not separate. The spar breaks at the top of the fuselage/bottom of the fin, flutter can rapidly sets in and the fin detaches, the model is then totally out of control. I was at the show in the UK last May where exactly that happened. Anyone with an unmodified airframe should not fly it until that spar has been reinforced, to fly it is playing Russian Roulette. The fix, adding a facing of strong 1/8 ply, takes only an hour or two.

With only this original fin spar installed the model is not airworthy, fix it and you have a rugged and quite superb flying model, I have discovered no other weaknesses.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

David I sent you a pm. About the fin post issue, I was planning in a carbon cloth layer at the inside of fin post. Looks easy to do know that the SB opening is done. Will a ply be more in the safe place or just do both. I can laminate the new fin post support plywood wit carbon cloth before installing it. Overkill some times is safer. What you think? Haven't check the fuel cell yet, but from other experience so far looks like it's another surprise I can get during the build. Thanks for the head up in this matter.

Alex
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Oh another thing I notice in CFI with the sad lost of one of the Bishop's Hawks. The canopy depart in flight during a Knive edge. It hit the fin LE causing the fin to crack open in half in front of the crowd. A F&%$ng scary situation. Glad the Bishops are very experience pilots and manage to crash it away from the public. Well the fin not only have the soft plywood but is only glued at the LE with a bead of Hysol. I think I will put a fiberglass tape to the LE from inside to reinforce the joint of my friend hawk. Who knows what can happen. My friend is not an aggressive flier but again is better to be safe than sorry.

Alex