Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Did you try Altcare in Canada?

I emailed them this am and had a reply within 2 hours...but it does vary even with me being a dealer and friend.

Dave
Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by didiwatt
What the heck is up with Behotec? If you get an email response in two weeks, you are lucky. TwoWalla and I are both trying to purchase the complete new electric Tudor trailing link landing gear set and can't get the job done. All they have to do is send a paypal request for the funds and it is a done deal. We were both bummed that we had to wait three months for the plane. At this rate, we won't have the landing gear in time? Anybody else experience this frustration from them?
Paul
I heard Behotec is "quite" busy at the moment. I would suggest to try and give them a call instead of sending emails.

/T
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Behotec e gear for sale which was converted by Down & Locked. Please send me a PM if interested.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave:
May I email you direct? If so, what is your email address.
Thank You
Paul

Bluelevel:
No thank you,
Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Well it looks like I have just about worn out the main tires that came from Carf when I bought myTutor kit.

Somewhere I have read where it was possible to get the same tires at a more reasonable price then from ordering from Carf.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd at dreamworks carries interairco tires. I don't know what CARF gets for them?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
PaulD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.intairco.net/categories.p...lacement-Tyres

I would confirm with Intairco that these indeed fit your wheels.

PaulD
Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Long as you have bolted together hubs the 115mm tyres are the ones
Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Long as you have bolted together hubs the 115mm tyres are the ones
Thanks 2walla,, PaulD, and Dave.

I am looking into it now.

Stan
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 AM
skywarrior

Hi,
I have now tried and am using two Jetronic double valves I had spare to operate the trailing link gear. Also this was very compatable with the P/Box SRS Royal built in door sequencer. I also used them because as you say the pressure required to raise this heavy gear is very high and the doors will go bang often.
I tried a pressure reducing nipple in the door circuit but the UP2 valve seemed to be unsure what it should be doing. With the electronic valves I can route the pipes flatter (rather than having to keep smooth bends from the UP2) and the ABS stye function gets rid of the over pressured door problem and also closes off completely when not in use. Tight as a drum so far which is pleasing.

David
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM
2walla

The behotec electric gear arrived yesterday! If they work half as good as they look all will be good! Just have to wait a couple of weeks for the plane to arrive. I was surprised at how fast behotec was able to turn around the order one we ironed out the payment details.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Gonzalo38

I was finally able to have my two (2) tutors ready and they really look good together.....

These planes are a joy to fly.

Having said that, the next step is to upgrade them to Behotec landing gears.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0289.JPG
Views:	1137
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1976211   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0299.JPG
Views:	1153
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	1976212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0306.JPG
Views:	1257
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	1976213   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0301.JPG
Views:	1041
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1976214  
Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 PM
PaulD

Atta boy. Both in Canadian schemes EH!

there you go again with having 2 of something to choose from.

PaulD
Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 AM
tucson

Hi Gonzolo38,

Although I have been flying my Tutor for several years, I have replaced struts a few times. Usually cross wind sideloads is the problem. I have read where some guys have converted to the Behotec trailing links.

I am wondering if I can get some updates as to how the trailing links are working out.

It becomes frustrating when your landing is set up almost perfect and a bounce or side load puts a bend in the strut.

I fly off of a hard surface, if it were grass, side loads on the gear would not be as much a problem.

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Stan
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Gonzalo38

Stan:

Haven't had the time to look at the Behotec option yet. I was busy helping organise a jet event at our local club and that took all my attention. Know that winter is approaching, I will start looking at that option.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Tuggs

Stan,

I have behotec trailing links on my CARF Tutor and they work like a charm. They work much better on rough fields as the normal oleos. However I don't see why they would be less sensitive against side loads. Maybe they are, then I would probably not realized. I had quite some bouncy landings before
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by Tuggs
Stan,

I have Behotec trailing links on my CARF Tutor and they work like a charm. They work much better on rough fields as the normal oleos. However I don't see why they would be less sensitive against side loads. Maybe they are, then I would probably not realized. I had quite some bouncy landings before
Hi Tuggs,

I love my Tutor. It is a great flying airplane. Very easy to fly in the air.

I have made a lot of greaser landings with it. It is very capable of perfect landings. But it is also capable of that inevitable bounce. I believe trailing link gear should make a difference.

I don't fly if there is a strong crosswind anymore(for me 10K) I fly off of a hard surface runway.

Here in AZ there is another Carf Tutor (excellant Pilot) He has replaced a strut also.

Thanks for the input, I will contact Behotec and see what the cost will be. I read somewhere in this thread where I will also need new tires and brakes

Stan
Old 04-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Tuggs

Hey Stan,

The Tutor will still bounce with the trailing links if youre too fast on final. They are of course more sturdy and probably take more shock than the normal oleos, but it is still a general issue on that plane. If its too fast, it will bounce and yes, the Tutor is a piece of work in crosswind. What you could try - at least it worked for me is to lower the wing facing towards the wind during final approach. I just level her off moments before touchdown.

It is my favorite plane at the moment
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 AM
tucson

Hi Tuggs

I finally figured out what i am going to do. I am going to order a dozen struts at a time It's only happened to me twice in a couple of years.

It is my favorite plane at the moment also.

It might still bounce but the gear looks to be a lot sturdier. The current struts do not take to much to bend them in my opinion. The worse is side loads, but then that is true for any gear

I notice that you are flying with the cortex gyro in some of your planes. Do you have one in the Tutor? I have thought of putting one in mine. I fly with the Jeti system.

Regards,

Stan

Last edited by tucson; 04-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM
2walla

Stan how do you like the jeti system? I am tempted to retire my 12x and go jeti. It is probably the best system right now but then again they all work. I have the trailing link setup for mt tutor and it appears very robust. Hopefully i will get it in the air soon. I fly mostly on grass and i wanted a bit of extra bump absorption. On asphalt have you thought about going to narrower tires? They may not hook up as well and slide vs bending something? Of course a good side hit is going to bend/break something. If you go with the trailing links you may have to cut off part of the wing skin to get them in the wing. (The triangle shaped protrusion). Paul has his electrics with the trailing links installed with servos setup to run the gear doors and it is nice! Maybe i will coax him to take a pic and post. He pitched the wooden spacer blocks and was able to get the gear inside with no cutouts in the door for the axle nut. I am copying his install except using retract servos for the doors vice regular servos.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM
tucson

Hi 2Walla,

If Paul or you could post some pictures of your gear install that would be great. Very Frustrating to me as I love this plane. I don't really know if trailing links will eliminate the problem but it will certainly help.

As far as the Jeti DS 16 which I fly my Tutor with I really love it and have a lot of confidence in the system.

I come from the 12x also and this is entirely different programming. It has a steep learning curve.

That being said I have it set up so that it will tell me when I get to my fuel reserves, if I have a flameout, what all my battery voltages are as well as my antenna strength in the airplane.

Great equipment. Now I just wish it could land the airplane also when I want it to One fellow I know has hooked up his airspeed with voice so that he can keep his approach speeds constant.

Pictures of your gear install would be great.

Thanks,

Stan
Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Tuggs

Originally Posted by tucson

I notice that you are flying with the cortex gyro in some of your planes. Do you have one in the Tutor? I have thought of putting one in mine. I fly with the Jeti system.

Regards,

Stan
Hi Stan,

Yes, i am flying a Cortex in the Tutor I have to admit that she doesn't need one as the Tutor flies on rails, but the Cortex is just that little sugar on top. Also, you'll have less trouble during landing approach with cortex, even in heavy crosswind.

regards

T
Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by Tuggs
Hi Stan,

Yes, i am flying a Cortex in the Tutor I have to admit that she doesn't need one as the Tutor flies on rails, but the Cortex is just that little sugar on top. Also, you'll have less trouble during landing approach with cortex, even in heavy crosswind.

regards

T
Tuggs,

What gain settings are you using with your Cortex in high and low in your Tutor?

That will be my next project.

Thanks,

Stan
Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM
PaulD

Me and a buddy with the same airframe found a single axis gyro on the rudder is all that's needed. Both of us are running Futaba G190's which are super simple and handle the crosswinds nicely.

PaulD
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
tucson

[QUOTE=PaulD;11789533]Me and a buddy with the same airframe found a single axis gyro on the rudder is all that's needed. Both of us are running Futaba G190's which are super simple and handle the crosswinds nicely.

PaulD[/QUOTE

Thanks Paul,

Sounds good.I will look into the G190. I have been hearing a lot of good things also on the Cortex.

I found this one on tower it says it is a Futaba G190 Piezo mini gyro, is this the one?

Any pictures on your gear install?

Thanks

Last edited by tucson; 04-23-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.