Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 AM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Thought I'd post a few pics of mine. She's such a nice flyer! And yes, I know about the nose gear door problem, it has been addressed already
Hi Bluelevel
I have had a few Comp Arf Tutors already and they just had the straight main gear strut. If I am seeing it right you have the trailing link. Just wondering how you did the detail of attaching the main gear outer door linkage. They had the retangular light music wire with round clamp on the strut. May I ask what you did with trailing gear and if you wouldn't mind showing a close up picture of it.
I will be going to the trailing link to take out the bounce capablity and have a more controlled roll out after landing.

Thanks
Alan
Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Alan, I was lazy and didn't want to adapt the doors a whole lot. So I just cut them shorter and used a wooden spacer that I glued onto the struts. The door covers are held in place with 2 M3 bolts.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:49 PM
AKB

Hi Bluelevel
Thanks for the reply. Well I'll have a look at it in the next while and see if I can adapt it otherwise I may try your method.

Thanks again.
Alan
Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Alan, I was lazy and didn't want to adapt the doors a whole lot. So I just cut them shorter and used a wooden spacer that I glued onto the struts. The door covers are held in place with 2 M3 bolts.
Could you possibly post a couple of pictures?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:37 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by ltc
Could you possibly post a couple of pictures?
I am at Kentucky jets at the moment, but have the Tutor with me. Will take a few photos tomorrow should I not forget
Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM
bluelevel

Sorry for the delay, here are 2 pictures of the main gear doors retracted and down. As I said earlier, you could also keep the door at full length and attach it with a hinge, but then you'd need to come up with an idea how to attach it to the swing arm, which isn't that easy. I decided to keep it simple.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tutor1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	2173031   Click image for larger version

Name:	tutor2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	2173032  
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 AM
AKB

HI Bluelevel
You know I think that looks pretty good. If you don't mind I think I follow your method. I agree with you the swing arm, it would be very complicated in my opinion to get full coverage that the straight strut offered.
Thanks for posting this.
Alan
Sorry for the delay, here are 2 pictures of the main gear doors retracted and down. As I said earlier, you could also keep the door at full length and attach it with a hinge, but then you'd need to come up with an idea how to attach it to the swing arm, which isn't that easy. I decided to keep it simple.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:40 PM
ltc

Thank you very much for taking the time to post these.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM
AKB

Hi Bluelevel
In looking at your picture, your wheels are not Intrarico wheels are they. Are those Behotec or are they the new Airtech. I heard today that all of the composite arf gear and retracts are going to be Airtech. Also do you know what the model number is of your Behotec swing are strut is.

Thanks
Alan
Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM
txcnguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan
My wheels from Behotec when I upgraded the brakes look like those also. They are actually 4 inch not 4.25. And yes Airtech are making the gear for CARF right here in the UAE, I've been there to see them already.
Dan
Old 07-22-2016, 06:14 PM
AKB

Hi Dan
Did yours originally come with Intarico, I don't suppose you tried them cause it sounded like you went straight to the upgraded Behotec's. If you did I would like hear your opinion of them. If I may ask what made you decide to go with the swing arm.

Alan

Alan
Originally Posted by txcnguy
Alan
My wheels from Behotec when I upgraded the brakes look like those also. They are actually 4 inch not 4.25. And yes Airtech are making the gear for CARF right here in the UAE, I've been there to see them already.
Dan
Old 07-22-2016, 06:20 PM
txcnguy

Alan
I have the C50 electric gear, they come with the set. Haven't done maiden yet but some forum posts suggest the trailing link is more substantial.
Dan
Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 PM
AKB

Hi Dan
On my previous experience I did find with the hard Intarico wheels and the straight style struts, it didn't take much to bounce it and then if you were at slow enough airspeed it would stall and then could have a death roll and end up on it's top. I am hoping with maybe going with the swing arm and the softer Behotec wheels maybe it may calm down some of the bounceyness.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 PM
txcnguy

Yes the dreaded low speed tip stall bounce. Keep the speed up.
That's why I upgraded the electric brakes.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by AKB
Hi Bluelevel
In looking at your picture, your wheels are not Intrarico wheels are they. Are those Behotec or are they the new Airtech. I heard today that all of the composite arf gear and retracts are going to be Airtech. Also do you know what the model number is of your Behotec swing are strut is.
Alan, these are Behotec swing arm struts and also Behotec wheels (not the overweight Intairco wheels). If you give Peter Ayache at Altercare RC a call, he will point you in the right direction.

Last edited by bluelevel; 07-22-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:57 AM
AKB

Hey Bluelevel
Thanks for your help on this.

Alan
Old 04-17-2017, 04:24 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been flying both of my CARF Tutor's for a couple of years now, but I must say that I have reached a point were I'm very dissatisfied with the original landing system and I'm ready for a change. The original Behotec 50 system just bends too easily and creates instances as the landing system not opening and having to make emergency landings.

I have been reading that some of you are installing trailing links...... how are these systems working for you ? It kind of kills the scale look of the plane but it sure represents a good alternative. I have these system in my CARF Marchetti and really like it.

Any special brand of trailing links that you recommend ? Any help on the matter would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17972270_697311703784428_1979213216199342248_o.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	2210268   Click image for larger version

Name:	17966996_697308897118042_7091731288674288599_o.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	2210269  
Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 AM
Gonzalo38

By the way..... what kind of turbines are you guys using in the plane ? In one I have a older Jetcentral Rhino and in the other one an older P160 Jetcat. The Jetcat has been acting up lately so I'm ready for a change.

I was thinking on the new Jetcentral Cheetah with 36 lbs since the new Rhino with 45 lbs may be a bit too much......

Anybody flying with bigger turbines ?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Been flying both of my CARF Tutor's for a couple of years now, but I must say that I have reached a point were I'm very dissatisfied with the original landing system and I'm ready for a change. The original Behotec 50 system just bends too easily and creates instances as the landing system not opening and having to make emergency landings.

I have been reading that some of you are installing trailing links...... how are these systems working for you ? It kind of kills the scale look of the plane but it sure represents a good alternative. I have these system in my CARF Marchetti and really like it.

Any special brand of trailing links that you recommend ? Any help on the matter would be appreciated.
You can purchase a set of Behotec C50 electric retracts directly from Behotec that drop right in.
Trailing links on mains AND trailing link on nose (just have to ask when emailing the order)
These have been discussed in this thread before I believe.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 AM
ltc

By the way..... what kind of turbines are you guys using in the plane ? In one I have a older Jetcentral Rhino and in the other one an older P160 Jetcat. The Jetcat has been acting up lately so I'm ready for a change.

I was thinking on the new Jetcentral Cheetah with 36 lbs since the new Rhino with 45 lbs may be a bit too much......

Anybody flying with bigger turbines ?
I have a new build that uses a Rhino SE (used the stock CARF steel pipe)
I doubt I will ever need or use full throttle, but flying off grass it's nice to have a little extra on takeoff just in case.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 AM
Gonzalo38

Thanks ITC. Have send Behotec a couple of emails but no response yet. I have also send an email today to Altecare to see if they can help me.

Is it worth it to change the base of the C50 air system to electric ones ? The air system in both of my planes work with no problem.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 AM
ltc

Thanks ITC. Have send Behotec a couple of emails but no response yet. I have also send an email today to Altecare to see if they can help me.

Is it worth it to change the base of the C50 air system to electric ones ? The air system in both of my planes work with no problem.
HI,
It takes a while to get a response from Behotec (I think his name is Thomas?), so just be patient.
I think air vs electric is a matter of personal preference.
I just am more comfortable with electric than air systems when it comes to retracts and brakes.
On my Tutor, the retracts are electric but the gear doors were kept air ...

I can also go home tonight and get a copy of my invoice with the price and part number for the retracts and all 3 trailing link struts.
I fly off of grass (no paved runways), so I just assumed that trailing link struts all around would be better than straight struts...again, I'm not sure thats 100% accurate but I went with it!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Gonzalo38

ITC:

If you could have access to the parts numbers, that would be great. Appreciate any help on the matter and I think it would be helpful for everybody to have that info.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:08 PM
ltc

ITC:

If you could have access to the parts numbers, that would be great. Appreciate any help on the matter and I think it would be helpful for everybody to have that info.
Hi,
My invoice from Behotec GmbH has the following info

Number: E-Retract set for Tutor with trailing legs, wheels and electric brakes
1022.54 Euro
UPS shipping: 115 Euro

It comes with the controller. Mine was E-tract V1.5c manual. Purchase date was 01.04.2016

I would highly recommend purchasing the E-Test v1.2 manual test box. It is very helpful when setting up the retracts, no need for the controller, radio, etc.
Just plug the retract directly into the E-tract box, connect a battery, and hit the Up or Down button. Very nice!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM
AKB

Hi Gonzalo

Yes I would go for the Behotec, trailing links and if you think you are interested in the electrics they work fine too. I don't have my Tutor anymore. Will one day get another. They look so great in the sky. Can't be Canadian and not have some appeal for these aircraft.

I battled the straight strut and those high Intarico wheels long enough. I don't know why Andreas went with those rock hard tires on them, but if you get the ones Thomas designed for that set they are a little less diameter but they have a lot more give to them then the Intaricos.

Here are just my thoughts only on those original design, again opinion guys we all have and are allowed to voice one.

I think the Intarico wheels with the straight struts give it either a 0 degree or slightly negative AoA. I know some guys have cut the some of the coils out of the springs of the mains to help with AoA. I have also known fellows that have ground off some of the rubber off of the tires for less grab.

If you have ever experienced the skating back and forth down the runway from side to side, or just come in a little too hot on landing that can create a real problem for this airframe. As I have said before in this thread, it doesn't take much for this one to have a little bounce and have it roll over on it's back for a messy splash all over the runway. What I am mentioning here is all pavement operations. I have lost 3 total so I do know about some of the characteristics of this plane. Not any trouble on grass did I experience.

I get what you say about not destroying the scale look about putting in the trailing links, but I think you would rather have an aircraft that takes the ground operations of taking off and landing, and lose a little scale looks, than losing the aircraft because of the poor ground handling qualities that can arise out those past installations.

I can't say anything about the new gear and wheels they offer on the Tutors now from the different supplier they have, but one thing those wheels aren't even close to looking scale. They badly suck in my opinion.

My 2 cents and good luck
Alan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.