Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Legend Buyers Beware

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Legend Buyers Beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM
artchristic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it did.
I guess I am trying to find a good match for my Rhino 36
It is in my JL albatross 1:5 scale right now.
I am thinking of getting another Rhino 36 or up grading to the Mammoth 48.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:41 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I think your Rhino 36 would be good for the 1/6 JL F-16 G2. That's the same engine I have for my G1 F16. A lot of power for the F-16.
It would be sweet if you can get 2 rabbits for the Yak, I think the new rabbit is cranking out 100N+ now.

I have a P160SX for my 1/5 L39, but it's still too much power. Mike
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nothing will ever come of all these failures till "God forbids" someone gets killed. As of right now that hasn't happened because of good AMA rules but as more people get into jets the greater the chance becomes. i have been an opponent of asian built stuff for years .i keep hearing the same reason over and over about how cheap they are to buy. well..... when you pay nothing ,you get nothing. BVM has taken the time and money to produce a really good product. though out of my pay grade ,they are still great planes. I have also thought about trying to get JPO and AMA to come up with a engine requirement per air frame. simply meaning that a person can't put a bigger engine than recommend and approved by both parties . it scares the he** out of me to watch some knucklehead put a massive power plant in a small plane. like a 120 in a boomerang intro for example. Well in closing i'll say this... i hope the jet manufactures are listening and heed the warnings and start building better stuff. I think it would be nice to see some construction photos on their website. WB_1
Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Dig it

I firmly believe they economy of North America could not survive without the import of Chinese made product. To suggest that everything made there is crap is to suggest you don't have a firm grip on the manufacturing process of everything from tupperware to pavement. There are a number of very good Chinese jet manufacturers as well as radio's, servo's, solenoids, and rubber tires. I'm all for North American made products but I will not stand on a podium made of Chinese metal and suggest that what is under my feet isn't secure simply because of the stamp on it. There are factors in workmanship and quality control that we must all take into account before we judge.

Dale
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Dig it
I firmly believe they economy of North America could not survive without the import of Chinese made product. To suggest that everything made there is crap is to suggest you don't have a firm grip on the manufacturing process of everything from tupperware to pavement. There are a number of very good Chinese jet manufacturers as well as radio's, servo's, solenoids, and rubber tires. I'm all for North American made products but I will not stand on a podium made of Chinese metal and suggest that what is under my feet isn't secure simply because of the stamp on it. There are factors in workmanship and quality control that we must all take into account before we judge.

Dale
easy for you to say... you don't even live here. America used to be a manufacturing giant .. we hardly make anything here. the Chinese have all but destroyed our model airplane manufacturing base here in the states. We were leaders in hobby for years. I also take great offense to you coming on an AMERICAN invention "rcuniverse" and criticize us for something you know nothing about.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Dig it

Well ok then.

1 - I said North America and unless your education system has failed you, that includes Canada and Mexico.
2 - Yes I do live in North America
3 - The Chinese have not ruined anything, they supplied a product which North Americans purchase. Thats not their fault, its everybody here that buys it.
4 - Yes you were leaders in the RC industry. That is the past and I am talking the present. Please try and keep up.
5 - The internet was a creation of three countries. Great Britain, France, and the USA. So your "American" invention shot is mute.

I suggest you take a serious look at where you live and whom is to blame. Taking offense to a reality based statement is childish.

Dale
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
artchristic1

I agree with you Dale.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Dig it
Well ok then.

1 - I said North America and unless your education system has failed you, that includes Canada and Mexico.
2 - Yes I do live in North America
3 - The Chinese have not ruined anything, they supplied a product which North Americans purchase. Thats not their fault, its everybody here that buys it.
4 - Yes you were leaders in the RC industry. That is the past and I am talking the present. Please try and keep up.
5 - The internet was a creation of three countries. Great Britain, France, and the USA. So your "American" invention shot is mute.

I suggest you take a serious look at where you live and whom is to blame. Taking offense to a reality based statement is childish.

Dale
LOL don't include the u.s. in you assessment of " North America"
Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 AM
willig10

Although I do not have a dog in the hunt, I would like to share my thoughts.

1st of all: I know that most of you jet guys are on a so called budget. You like to buy cheap and that's ok. However, the trend is easily seen that most of the issues with the "asian" market is weak tail surfaces. (i.e. honeycomb etc). If this is the issue, would it be possible for the kit manufacturer to make the tail section seperate so the buyer can build it and install to his or her liking?

In other words instead of the kit being an "ARF" make it where the owner has to build the tail assembly.

Seems pretty easy to me to do. I am a builder and since you jet guys like to complain about the tail or wings just have the kit manufacturer allow you the owner to have some control on what goes in those areas.

In this way the next time there is flutter or some kind of failure, the onus would be on the owner and all this bickering and finger pointing can go away. I don't care one way or the other, I just am saying that if you have the money to spend on these jets and turbines you ought to have the building experience to go with your flying ability to have a completely airworthy jet and you as a responsible owner need to know what is inside your jet and not guess.

Not trying to start a flame war, just saying that everyone loves to blame "the other guy" so take responsibility and if need be tear into your tail section and build it like it should be,

My 2 cents

Glenn
Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 AM
toolmaker7341

FYI BMV sells Skymaster jets asian manufactured in China. I'm sure he wouldn't except crap with his name on it.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:29 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
nothing will ever come of all these failures till "God forbids" someone gets killed. As of right now that hasn't happened because of good AMA rules but as more people get into jets the greater the chance becomes. i have been an opponent of asian built stuff for years .i keep hearing the same reason over and over about how cheap they are to buy. well..... when you pay nothing ,you get nothing. BVM has taken the time and money to produce a really good product. though out of my pay grade ,they are still great planes. I have also thought about trying to get JPO and AMA to come up with a engine requirement per air frame. simply meaning that a person can't put a bigger engine than recommend and approved by both parties . it scares the he** out of me to watch some knucklehead put a massive power plant in a small plane. like a 120 in a boomerang intro for example. Well in closing i'll say this... i hope the jet manufactures are listening and heed the warnings and start building better stuff. I think it would be nice to see some construction photos on their website. WB_1

So what's with this rant??? This thread has been sitting for 6months and you just jump bump it to the front page with out any specific information... Did you recently have a failure with a JL airframe??
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Time to go back to buying JET airframes designed and crafted here in the United Stated. Just My opinion.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

People probably would buy them too if the price was'nt quadrupled because it is a jet
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drdoom
Time to go back to buying JET airframes designed and crafted here in the United Stated. Just My opinion.

I think if rc jets were made in the USA the price would be least at triple what we are paying now.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by ira d
I think if rc jets were made in the USA the price would be least at triple what we are paying now.
I wouldn't have a problem with that just as long as the quality reflects the price.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone is missing the point. If you fly a turbine jet and have been doing it a long time ( I have been flying them since 2000) you should know what to look for in a product. If we spent more time on learning what it takes to fly a jet, is the stabs STRONG enough, is the WING strong enough, are the attachment components ( aluminum tube or carbon fiber tube for wing attachment) strong enough. Maybe we need to go back to building our own if you know this is correct. Now I know some of you will come on here and say 1. you don't have the building skills to build a turbine jet, 2 you don't have the time. And that's OK. But in all the time you have been flying RC models (planes, not just jets) you have to have a few friend that have built their own plane or jet and have very good success with it. Have them look at set of plans and let them give you advice on the build. If you don't want to build it yourself, ask them to do it for you. If you have the money to throw into the products, then you have the money to pay someone you trust to build you a jet and not have it come apart.

The skill of building model RC planes has just about gone. There has been a lot MONEY and ANGUISH blown away on these inferior products that are allowed to come into our COUNTRY. When SOMEONE gets hurt, we all can hang up out jets and watch them collect dust reguardless of the brand name of even if they don't have a history of coming apart in flight.......

Larry / Instructor

Last edited by Instructor; 04-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM
*Pipe*

Originally Posted by bri6672
So what's with this rant??? This thread has been sitting for 6months and you just jump bump it to the front page with out any specific information... Did you recently have a failure with a JL airframe??
I believe its called trolling
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
artchristic1

I to have been building R/C planes for over 20 years and I am very good in thinking it through in great details but when it comes to jets, it is not easy to duplicating two wings identical.
I still rely on the ARF kits but I like to install my flight controls my way so I order my planes semi complete.
That way if something breaks, then it is myself to blame.
I ordered my JL L-39 semi ARF and they sent it to me that way. Painted but no flight controls installed.I to have been building R/C planes for over 20 years and I am very good in thinking it through in great details but when it comes to jets, it is not easy to duplicating two wings identical.
I still rely on the ARF kits but I like to install my flight controls my way so I order my planes semi complete.
I ordered my JL L-39 semi ARF and they sent it to me that way. Painted but no flight controls installed.
Plus, it was cheaper.

Mind you I still prefer building from scratch.
I am building a scratch built scale Avro Arrow for the next 2015 Jet World Master.
It takes too long to build a good scale jets these day and plus time is hard to come by.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=artchristic1;11777859]I to have been building R/C planes for over 20 years and I am very good in thinking it through in great details but when it comes to jets, it is not easy to duplicating two wings identical.
I ordered my JL L-39 semi ARF and they sent it to me that way. Painted but no flight controls installed.I to have been building R/C planes for over 20 years and I am very good in thinking it through in great details but when it comes to jets, it is not easy to duplicating two wings identical.
I ordered my JL L-39 semi ARF and they sent it to me that way. Painted but no flight controls installed.
Plus, it was cheaper.

Mind you I still prefer building from scratch.
I am building a scratch built scale Avro Arrow for the next 2015 Jet World Master.
It takes too long to build a good scale jets these day and plus time is hard to come by.[/QUOTE

So what your say is this, if I read you right. It's OK the build a 1/4 scale P-51, F4U Corsair, Spitfire, J-3 Cub, Taylor Craft or any other model with wings that don't have the same airfoil, wing thickness, same washout and same strength in the attchment to the fuse? Everyones model should be built the best it can, or don't even attemp it. How many of your models have to have the ailerons trimmed because one wing has more washout than the other?

I have been building and flying models, control line, free flight, RC, for 55 years. Yes I have built some a little straighter than other, but I learned how to correct these issues. Using the right tools to check these items out makes a big difference. I saved a fellow club member embarrasement from completing his Top Flight P-51. When he brought the wing out to the field, he was very pleased about it. He was showing everyone how he installed the retract in the wing. I looked at the wing and them pulled him aside to talk about the wing. I noticed that the right wing had less washout than the left wing. I pointed it out to him and he was shocked. I told him to take the wing home, check the wasout and let me know the difference. The right wing had 4º washin to the left wing to .5º of wash out. That P-51 would have made a violent LEFT hand turn right into the ground before he knew what went wrong. He is still flying that plane today without aileron trim. Telling someone you have been building model planes for 20 years, then have to make a lot of correction to the ailerons, elevator trim, rudder trim and CG correction, tells me you still don't have it right....

Larry / Instructor

Last edited by Instructor; 04-07-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
bth9318
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by warbird_1
easy for you to say... you don't even live here. America used to be a manufacturing giant .. we hardly make anything here. the Chinese have all but destroyed our model airplane manufacturing base here in the states. We were leaders in hobby for years. I also take great offense to you coming on an AMERICAN invention "rcuniverse" and criticize us for something you know nothing about.
The chinese did it. Thats hilarious. How many chinese are getting rich building rc airplanes? I can see it now they where all.sitting around one day the whole 1.5 billion of them and they said hey lets call all the american manufacturers and tell them to open manufacturing plants here and we will build there stuff for .15 cents an hour and ruin there economy. I think the story goes something more like this. Greedy corporate america sitting around going "man the 2.75 an hour we are paying mexicans for labor is rediculous there most be some other underdeveloped country whose workers we can exploit" and in comes china. As for manufacturing america is its own worst enemy. The car manufacturers learned that the hard way. If there is no one left making good money because you shipped all the jobs out of the country then who is going to buy ypur product. The government has got to tax this stuff coming in so american manufacturing can be competitive I think they did on some things already. But to blame china or any other country for our manufacturing downfall is crazy. Want someone to blame try corporate america and the unions for not working together to keep those jobs here. And save the union crap I have worked in both union and non union shops and a union can put a company under just as fast as a chinese worker. They had there place at one time now they are just part of the problem.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM
mikedenilin

Isn't this what we preach around the world? Free market, freedom, and American values. Isn't it what we use to defeat the communism in the first place? Now we are blaming them for our success? It's not about corporate greed. It's all about competition around the world. I run multinational companies with employees around the world. We had Indian engineers doing our cloud computing service, Chinese labor manufacturing our goods, American engineers, management, marketing team and finance know-how running the operation at the top level. It's the comparative advantage at work, learned in college Econ 101. We are too often pointing fingers at others for our own fault. If we can't compete, then it's not our fault. How stupid is that? Thanks to the Chinese labor, we now can afford great jets at the best values. I think everyone of us who can come up with a few thousand dollars for a model jet is a smart shopper who constantly looks for best jets that his money can buy. We make mistakes sometimes by choosing the wrong jets from the wrong companies, but to stereotype each Chinese company being a producer of crappy product is wrong.

Not to go off topic here. Jet Legend has improved their product quality quite a lot over the past 5 years. Take their Viper 1.9M jet as an example. For roughly $2500 shipped (to USA), you get a painted ARF jet with digital air valves for retracts and brake, complete landing gear system, fuel tanks, fuel lines, servo extension pre wired, all installed. Is it a deal? Not really unless they had proven that jet is safe and performs well. Yes, they did. No bad news is good news. Have you heard about the complains, after over at least 500 of them were sold worldwide? Anyone broke up in the air? Have not heard about it? How many American made kits are sold worldwide? 100? or less? Statistically we will heard more complains about Chinese products out there because there are more out there flying. Take a guess, 80% or more.

I am not a scratch builder. Thanks to these ARF jets, I become a RC Jet pilot. Do you need to be an aircraft builder to fly a full scale? With these ARFs out there, pilots like me don't have to wait years and beg endlessly to get one built by some scratch builders who stay in their man caves and not knowing that one day he would be kicked out of his cave by more advanced homo sapiens who evolve faster through hard work, better educations, and being a better shopper instead of being a complainer. Thank God, American is not going down, because we have a lot of advanced technology, educations, military might, software supremacy, and agricultural resources that many other country's people can only dream of. If you can't make it in this great country, then it's you to blame, nobody else.

Mike

Last edited by mikedenilin; 04-08-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:18 AM
artchristic1

Right on the mark Mike.
I concur.
I was going to add to my Comment but you took the words right out of my mind.
I to am grateful for the many choices out there by the Chinese.
I do not have much time to build from scratch so I look for the best bang and qaulity for my buck.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM
artchristic1

Hi Instructor;

I to am an Licensed Aircraft Engineer and I understand your point
but you are getting off track.
You know what I meen but you fail to see my point.
Time is not on all of our side to build a good JET plane from scratch.

Have a goog day.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Nicely put Mike.

I've had two JL airframes. I sold both after many wonderful and pleasurable flights.

I beat the everliving hell out of my blue angels F-18c. And I mean beat it up. Multiple dead sticks, landing on and off the runway, hard landings, being mounted on top of my truck going to the field and all the way to Arizona, etc....

I must have flown that airplane over 1000 times.

As far as I know, it has been sold twice after I sold it. And it keeps getting thrashed and it keeps kicking back. That jet is a TANK.

My other JetLegend F-18c (I bought it from Mike, thanks Mike!) I flew the crap out of as well. Not as much as that blue angels f-18c. I sold it and I believe it was then sold multiple times and sold again. I think it was dumb thumbed in by that guy.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 PM
mikedenilin

Thanks for your kind words. Great minds think alike.

Ravi, does it count the air time on top of your Lambo or Honda? I know the reason that you drive a fast car is to use it as a wind tunnel tester making sure your jet's stabs can sustain 200+ mph flights without failure. Right, low rider?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.